• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you use Star Bits (side-b) for?

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
i don't use it that much but i usually use it to rack some damage when i can. i haven't tried it with anything else, really.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I use it to tack on a bit of damage when they're closer to Luma than me but out of range for any of Luma's actual moves to hit them. Luma Shot > Star Bits is a halfway decent string online until they start getting properly launched.

I hear it's also got good utility as a gimp tool but I haven't tried that out yet.

otter

Smash Ace
I use it more than most rosalinas it seems. It can zone out big characters for free.

Neos

Smash Cadet
Definitely for great spacing. It's also good for adding slight pressure to your opponent(s). I normally use the move twice in a row just because I can, and people don't normally expect it. But be careful, if you're fight Sheik for example, she can flip-kick over the Luma and kick Rosalina in the face if predicted. Believe me my sister did that to me a lot so be aware just in case.

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
Pretty much exclusively for spacing. It's pretty fast, has good range, and the damage is quite decent. It's also pretty good at annoying people who try to hop over Luma when Luma is sent out, since Rosalina can just side-b backwards and Luma will shoot the bits the other way.

People say it's a good edgeguarding/gimp tool, but I haven't seen that many uses for it yet. The hitstun is negligible and oftentimes I feel like it's better to use a normal if you are edgeguarding with Luma (dair, dtilt, utilt, and ftilt, depending on where they are, seem particularly potent).

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
I like to use the star bits pretty much like how everyone else uses them. It's just really solid harass, and they can force people to approach a certain way due to Luma's positioning.

I feel like it's not a bad way to gimp either. Sure it's not as strong as just, sending Luma out and whacking somebody off stage. But if star bits can eat somebody's jump, it's so much more subtle of a way to get people to die quicker. I dunno, that's just how I see it

Her custom star bits are amazing though. :D

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
Spacing, poke, chip damage. Also good follow up if you hit them with Neutral B at low % for some extra damage.

It's also hilariously good at screwing with opponents that keep trying to approach from the ground head-on. You can also force characters like Little Mac to adjust in a certain way to it, making their approaches more predictable and thus more punishable.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Spacing, poke, chip damage. Also good follow up if you hit them with Neutral B at low % for some extra damage.

It's also hilariously good at screwing with opponents that keep trying to approach from the ground head-on. You can also force characters like Little Mac to adjust in a certain way to it, making their approaches more predictable and thus more punishable.
*perks up at Little Mac matchup discussion*

Can you elaborate at all on this? Little Mac is one of the characters that consistently gives me trouble online unless the person just outright sucks. (Whee for only playing on his best stage.)

Last edited:

Neos

Smash Cadet
So I played against Dabuz's Rosalina and I noticed instead of him using her default side-b he used a customized move where the Luma would shoot a single star bit instead of 3. Imo I find this much better because it has a VERY far range and it's extremely safe to use. Hopefully you guys feel the same way.

Last edited:

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
I use side B mainly to space and try and force my opponent to find a way in that I could easily predict and punish accordingly. Usually around mid range. That being said I try not to use it too often to avoid forming any bad habits.

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
*perks up at Little Mac matchup discussion*

Can you elaborate at all on this? Little Mac is one of the characters that consistently gives me trouble online unless the person just outright sucks. (Whee for only playing on his best stage.)
Little Mac feels really easy to me, even better ones.
The fact that you can interrupt his ground approach with Star Bits means you force him to either properly space his dash attack to dodge them at the right time, approach with side b, or approach from above (which is a terrible idea as Mac).
Options one and two can be punished easily with a well timed Shield Grab, option 3 just sets him up to get juggled really hard.

Oh, and one thing is really important when fighting Little Mac: Be patient. Really patient. Most Little Mac players can be read pretty easily.

I can upload a few Little Mac replays to Youtube for you if you want, I think my only loss so far was against a very unlucky One-Hit-KO hit.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Little Mac feels really easy to me, even better ones.
The fact that you can interrupt his ground approach with Star Bits means you force him to either properly space his dash attack to dodge them at the right time, approach with side b, or approach from above (which is a terrible idea as Mac).
Options one and two can be punished easily with a well timed Shield Grab, option 3 just sets him up to get juggled really hard.

Oh, and one thing is really important when fighting Little Mac: Be patient. Really patient. Most Little Mac players can be read pretty easily.

I can upload a few Little Mac replays to Youtube for you if you want, I think my only loss so far was against a very unlucky One-Hit-KO hit.
I guess I just don't know how to properly deal with Jolt Haymaker then, because that seems to be the main move that gets me. (That and super armor on smashes.) It doesn't help that they tend to end up behind me when I shield, which means shield grabbing is out?

I think I'm getting better since my reaction when I see a Little Mac has upgraded from "oh no" to "let's be careful here" but it's still very annoying.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I just don't know how to properly deal with Jolt Haymaker then, because that seems to be the main move that gets me. (That and super armor on smashes.) It doesn't help that they tend to end up behind me when I shield, which means shield grabbing is out?
It's that particular point of coverage that's ultimately made me switch to Launch Star Attack full time. Even though it doesn't go as far as the others, Rosalina's recovery is still very adequate with it and it covers that awkward position when they're behind you after you shield an attack.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
So I played against Dabuz's Rosalina and I noticed instead of him using her default side-b he used a customized move where the Luma would shoot a single star bit instead of 3. Imo I find this much better because it has a VERY far range and it's extremely safe to use. Hopefully you guys feel the same way.
I have this on my custom set as well, and I find it infinitely better than the default. It provides a mid/long range tool that doesn't require commitment, unlike luma shot, which imo is huge in some MUs

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have this on my custom set as well, and I find it infinitely better than the default. It provides a mid/long range tool that doesn't require commitment, unlike luma shot, which imo is huge in some MUs
I find that both Star Bits alts outclass the default one. They're both usable depending on the matchup and how you play. The default Star Bits though... I really can't think of a reason to prefer this over the other two.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
When you free Luma and it sets itself on a default space between you and it, then you Star Bit your opponent as they come, it hits. Then they notice and try to jump over Luma or dodge then hit you with probably dash attack or meteor, you Star Bit on their side(Facing Rosalina), you cancel their plans, you Side Smash opponent, if you built enough damage a red lightning comes out and opponent goes off-stage. You won.

Top Bottom