• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think the ESRB rating will be?

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
The ESRB has not given Ultimate a rating yet, but PEGI had given it a 12+ before any gameplay was revealed. And now in the Ridley trailer, we see Mega Man getting impaled. Not to mention Ridley's design is a little hyper-realistic. The ESRB has been a little inconsistent with their ratings in the past (Melee was rated T while PEGI gave it 3+) and Sm4sh was probably the most "violent" of the series, and it got E10+. So what does everyone think about Ultimate's ESRB rating? I personally think it will be rated T, judging from the Ridley trailer (if it's a cutscene in the game.)

with Snake, Ridley, and Bayo I'm guessing a T. I feel snake in particular is a more deciding factor since him and his weapons are so realistic compared to the rest of the roster

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering that the developers went far enough to make Solid Snake's model not so disturbing with the rear end, and female Corrin's legs are still covered, maybe there's hope for an E10+ rating.

R0Y

Smash Master
Probably still E10+ but pushing it more than Smash 4 because of Snake's return and the way he fights. We'll see.

Brawl was T even though the E10+ rating was around 10 years ago, but I think Nintendo was hoping for an E10+ for both Smash 4 releases, which they obviously got...without Snake.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
E10+ with/without the booty of Snake. Smash 4 still had some cake from people like Captain Falcon and Palutena (also Wario...) yet the game still stayed at the family friendly rating, so Smash Ultimate won’t be any different...

...I’ll miss dem solid cakes though

R0Y

Smash Master
E10+ with/without the booty of Snake. Smash 4 still had some cake from people like Captain Falcon and Palutena (also Wario...) yet the game still stayed at the family friendly rating, so Smash Ultimate won’t be any different...

...I’ll miss dem solid cakes though
I think any potential issue with Snake would be with the way he fights and the things he fights with.

Zero Suit Samus affected nothing, but the thought is that Snake's more realistic style could, theoretically. Not saying it's likely to.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think any potential issue with Snake would be with the way he fights and the things he fights with.

Zero Suit Samus affected nothing, but the thought is that Snake's more realistic style could, theoretically. Not saying it's likely to.
I think that’s why Snake didn’t fight too realistically in Brawl, and seems to fight “more friendly” in a way (better than using an axe or sword on people...or anything Bayonetta, who has to be toned down pretty hard when it comes to her bare freedom)

R0Y

Smash Master
I think that’s why Snake didn’t fight too realistically in Brawl, and seems to fight “more friendly” in a way (better than using an axe or sword on people...or anything Bayonetta, who has to be toned down pretty hard when it comes to her bare freedom)
Brawl was T though, even though E10+ was around by then.

He does a kind of chokehold and uses realistic grenades, among his other moves. Probably still E10+, but I think if the game isn't then a few of Snake's moves could be a culprit.

I think Snake and Zero Suit Samus's proportions changing slightly is more or less just a design choice.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brawl was T though, even though E10+ was around by then.

He does a kind of chokehold and uses realistic grenades, among his other moves. Probably still E10+, but I think if the game isn't then a few of Snake's moves could be a culprit.

I think Snake and Zero Suit Samus's proportions changing slightly is more or less just a design choice.
Brawl did have a more realistic art style and a “serious” storyline, with addition of crude humor, so none of Snake’s things really affect anything other than possibly some of the things he (and others) said/did

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
anything Bayonetta, who has to be toned down pretty hard when it comes to her bare freedom)
Obviously she can't be naked, but Nintendo of Japan actually tried to make her less sexualized, and Nintendo of America (very surprisingly) asked for her to be more sexualized (and she uses guns), and they still got away with E10+, so idk.
And it's also easy to create artificial violence, just by adding a lot of flashing lights and loud sound effects, which Sm4sh seemingly had the most in the series.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Obviously she can't be naked, but Nintendo of Japan actually tried to make her less sexualized, and Nintendo of America (very surprisingly) asked for her to be more sexualized (and she uses guns), and they still got away with E10+
That sounds more like Bayonetta 2’s development than Bayo’s Smash dlc development (which was also true, guess Nintendo tried to use Bayo as an excuse to make a sexy female Link)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
People are talking about Snake or Bayonetta making this game T, but I don't think that's the case. Bayonetta is no more sexualized in this game than Zero Suit Samus or even Shulk's underwear costume, and they've made all the explosions have a cartoony wind waker-esque effect so Snake's weapons aren't as brutal. Also all the female characters retain their black voids under their dresses so there's no issue there.

Honestly Brawl was only rated T because of how edgy its artstyle and presentation was, in addition to how they showed Master Hand bleeding in a cutscene,

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That makes sense, but that doesn't explain why Melee was rated T. At least PEGI got it right with the 3+
Does underwear exposure for the female characters mean anything? Also, Melee was released before the E10+ rating ever existed.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh yeah...forgot about that. But it said it was rated T for "mild cartoon violence", the same thing most Mario games are rated E for.
(also, I'm not angry or anything, I'm just wondering about the inconsistent ratings)
I guess a more realistic appearance may also be the reason for Melee's Teen rating.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bayonetta and Snake are in it, so I don't think there's any chance of E...sorry
Bayonetta is in Smash 4.

An E10 rated game.

DLC doesn't magically dodge the ESRB, if the DLC changes the rating, the rating WILL be changed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's also Ridley, who has the most violent and brutal moveset ever in the entire franchise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's also Ridley, who has the most violent and brutal moveset ever in the entire franchise.
Not so much as to raise the rating though.

Guys, the only way this game goes past E10 is if Snake's codecs are particularly raunchy.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm predicting a T rating. Brawl was T, as was Melee (granted, E10+ didn't exist at the time for the latter), I think Smash 4 got away with its E10+ rating due to the more cartoony aesthetic and the removal of the Tharja trophy. Ultimate, however, has a bit more of realistic/detailed art style than Smash 4, plus it has Bayonetta (and Snake) on the base roster, along with Ridley and his shenanigans like the tail-impalement.

Knowing what we know about the game's content so far, I'd personally give it an E10+, but I think the ESRB will go with T.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Knowing what we know about the game's content so far, I'd personally give it an E10+, but I think the ESRB will go with T.
If the game goes all Teen, the developers would have to uncensor female Corrin's legs, along with the black void covering Peach's lower torso. My best guess is that the developers will do whatever they can to keep the game at an E10+ level; the art style still has a more cartoonish vibe than in Brawl.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the game goes all Teen, the developers would have to uncensor female Corrin's legs, along with the black void covering Peach's lower torso. My best guess is that the developers will do whatever they can to keep the game at an E10+ level; the art style still has a more cartoonish vibe than in Brawl.
Haven't you seen Ridley's moveset? He outright kills the players by impaling them with his tail, among other violent and brutal things.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Haven't you seen Ridley's moveset? He outright kills the players by impaling them with his tail, among other violent and brutal things.
And yet somehow, Smash 3DS / Wii U still kept the E10+ rating, despite Gomorrah's presence in Bayonetta's Final Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And yet somehow, Smash 3DS / Wii U still kept the E10+ rating, despite Gomorrah's presence in Bayonetta's Final Smash.
Bayonetta was DLC. She, like all of the other DLC characters, was not involved at all in determining the rating so they could get away with much more violent content and keep the rating. Ridley is in the base game, so he will affect the rating.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bayonetta was DLC. She, like all of the other DLC characters, was not involved at all in determining the rating so they could get away with much more violent content and keep the rating. Ridley is in the base game, so he will affect the rating.
Ridley could affect the rating, but his presence alone probably won't be enough to warrant a Teen rating. Stabbing people with a sword-like tail is no different from using an actual sword to do the same kind of action.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ridley could affect the rating, but his presence alone probably won't be enough to warrant a Teen rating. Stabbing people with a sword-like tail is no different from using an actual sword to do the same kind of action.
There's also the fact that at high damage percentages, Ridley can outright kill the other fighters with that attack. No flying off the stage. They're just gone.

Redwood27

Smash Rookie
I seriously doubt Ridley does anything to raise the rating (besides the cartoon violence everyone else displays). He doesn't do anything more brutal than say, Link stabbing someone with his sword.

Additionally, Snake's missing ass and ZSS's flattened boobs probably help secure the E10+ rating, but I don't think Bayonetta's mere presence has as much influence over the rating as people think; she's pretty well covered (even when attacking), and although her character has some sexual undertones, she doesn't really do/have anything that I would describe as sexual content.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's also the fact that at high damage percentages, Ridley can outright kill the other fighters with that attack. No flying off the stage. They're just gone.
Obliviate is exclusive to Ornes, and I seriously doubt that any normal attack would have an effect that instantly obliviates anyone who has more than 100% damage.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Obliviate is exclusive to Ornes, and I seriously doubt that any normal attack would have an effect that instantly obliviates anyone who has more than 100% damage.
It was already confirmed that Ridley's tail spike would have such an effect. Bayonetta's Final Smash does the same thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It was already confirmed that Ridley's tail spike would have such an effect. Bayonetta's Final Smash does the same thing.
The thing is, we're comparing a normal attack to a Final Smash, and the latter has every right to be unfairly strong. Also, Ridley's down special will probably see some nerfs to avoid being too overpowered. And there's no information at the SmashWiki that suggests that Ridley's down special has danger zone properties; it seems to have more in common with Ryu's Focus Attack.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
The Ridley trailer had a not actual gameplay disclaimer IIRC, so I don't think the Ridley impaling thing would affect the rating. I never really felt like Melee deserved a T rating at the time of it's release, especially since Smash 64 got an E rating. My guess would be that an E10 rating is most likely, since that what Sm4sh had. But Bayo was also DLC for sm4sh, not affecting the rating and Snake wasn't present so I could see the game get a T rating BC of characters like those that come from M rated games.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m sure it’ll be Rated M.

For Magestic...

Nah, probably E10+ or maybe T. Having Bayonetta didn’t increase the age rating and it’s no longer 2008 so perhaps including Snake won’t affect the rating. Now, if another hard ass like Master Chief, Scorpion, or Doomslayer joins, then I’m not sure.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Knowing ESRB, it could end up either way. There are certain games with pretty much the same criteria that end up with E, rather than T or vice versa. I'm betting on E. The game looks lightened.

Top Bottom