• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what do you do at your job

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
I work with the mentally ill

I watch TV, browse the internet, play on my tablet, and occasionally clean up human **** from the floor

great stuff

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
im a student but im studying to go into game development.
we have a few 'studio' environments at school, so we consider that to be our jobs. im the lead for the design and concept team, so we work out the more 'creative' portions of the game, from finalizing story elements to designing characters/environments/etc

i assign homework, grade other students, work with the other leads and the teacher, go to meetings, etc.
I am also currently painting assets for the website (one of my team members is in charge of web development)

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
I work with jet engines. We build them, test them, troubleshoot them, and simply maintain them :)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I stock shelves at a grocery store.

Not really what I wanted to do with my life, but as far as a first (and non-career) job goes it could be a lot worse. Just doing it and music at school at once didn't work out for me, and now I'm only here (working), and that makes me sad.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'm apart of the post production crew for a video production company. I mostly edit videos together. I sometimes am apart of actual film shoots, usually as a PA or cameraman.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
dude thats awesome. when I was really bored two summers ago I took some skype lessons from some girls in china for mandarin lessons. was fun.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Work as a cashier/front desk employee at CVS, hate it and my lazy manager.

In 9 months only been robbed twice, one mass kill gun threat, and had some lady almost drive her car through our front door out of rage.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
dude thats awesome. when I was really bored two summers ago I took some skype lessons from some girls in china for mandarin lessons. was fun.
Thanks, yeah it's really interesting and I get to meet a lot of people from quite varied backgrounds. I have a niche on their site since most of the teachers are Japanese, and I'm one of the only native English speakers who can also speak Japanese. It's a lot of fun.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I walked in on a friend of mine while she was doing one of those Skype things. She was trying to learn Italian though.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Work as a cashier/front desk employee at CVS, hate it and my lazy manager. In 9 months only been robbed twice, one mass kill gun threat, and had some lady almost drive her car through our front door out of rage.
Move into the pharmacy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate my job.

I'm usually stuck alone with massive lines and no one to cover my brakes. Not to mention how stressful it is. One mistake could cost the company thousands. One mistake I could be fired.

Customers are horrible, and I have to tell if their transaction is legit or not, which basically boils down to me figuring out if they are lying.

I barely make more than min wage after 3 raises and the pay increase of my promotion. If I was 1 county over I WOULD be making min.

I feel more like their taking advantage of the time slot I can work.

I almost don't care if I mess up and get fired. I'd feel free in fact. Free of my prison

SuperSmashTaters

Smash Rookie
I work at a non profit where we build organic vegetable gardens and gardening classes to low income families.

Sadly, unlike you, I don't have the privilege of random encounters with human excrement any longer.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Game tester. I work 13 hours a day, 6 days a week for minimal pay and no one respects what I do or realizes how much it matters.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
update: i quit my job i posted in the OP. now i work as a music teacher and a local store

Game tester. I work 13 hours a day, 6 days a week for minimal pay and no one respects what I do or realizes how much it matters.
on a scale of peewee herman to albert einstein how much does it matter

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I run the import warehouse for Tropical Shipping container freight in Palm Beach, Florida 40 hours a week. I work part-time at a 50's restaurant two nights a week for car payment and play money. I like this job a lot. We sell customers artwork and host events once a month showcassing different artist and such. It's a trendy spot so a lot of hipster kids come in. I don't get the jackets and rolled up shorts, I really don't. If you're in the area feel free to stop in and talk vsmash brothers Thursday and Friday nights http://www.sub-culture.org/howleys/index.html. In 2013 I help start the hurly burly all male burlesque review on Palm Beach, Florida where over 300 people filled the club(mostly women too!), but I quit doing that.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I work as a cashier/electronics/salesfloor team member at Target. (Mostly Cashier/salesfloor when its slow and don't need too many cashiers)

First job, not too bad. I make crap pay though. Hoping for more than a 7 cent raise this year >.>

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently my job today was telling people that wanted to send thousands of dollars to Nigeria that they were being scammed.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I work as a cashier/electronics/salesfloor team member at Target. (Mostly Cashier/salesfloor when its slow and don't need too many cashiers)

First job, not too bad. I make crap pay though. Hoping for more than a 7 cent raise this year >.>
I used to work at Target for 5 years. It was an ok job but the pay was crap. I loved who I worked with though. I worked at cashier, food court, guest services, carts, sales floor, fitting room, electronics, and a stint in overnight stocking and making bikes.

Now, I teach English here in Japan. I have been doing it for the past 4 years and entering my 5th and final year next August, I teach at a total of 5 schools; two junior high schools and three elementary schools. Monday and Wednesday's are at my largest elementary school, Tuesday is a split day between junior high in the morning and elementary in the afternoon. Friday is the same except for a different set of schools. Finally, Thursday is all day at one of my junior high schools.

Usually Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are 6 classes the entire day while Tuesday is usually 3 classes and Thursday can be 1-3 classes. In elementary, I will teach grades 1 through 6 but typically I only teach 5th and 6th grade. I make the lesson plans, games, and generally run the class. The homeroom teacher typically observes just to make sure kids don't go nuts. The class consists of some grammar and vocab exercises and tons of games. For example, today I will be teaching six classes of 5th graders. I will be teaching about school subjects. The target grammar point is:

"What classes do you have on Monday?"
"First period is Math, Second period is Home Economics, Third period is Calligraphy, etc etc etc"

Then we will play a memorization game as well as a game where I give a key word. In pairs, students must grab the eraser when they hear the key word. The first kid to grab it is winner and then changes desks. Finally, they will do an interview activity where students will form there ideal school schedule (periods 1 through 6) and have to ask other students "What do you study on Thursday?" The interviewee has to answer while the interviewer writes down their schedule and they have to ask 4 other students.

At junior high, I teach grades 7 through 9 and I make the lessons as well unless the Japanese Teacher of English has something planned. We typically do grammar and vocab drills, listening tests, and projects. However, I typically am given 20-30 minutes to do an activity or a presentation. For example, I demonstrated the difference between Japanese and American comedy. I showed several clips of a Japanese comedy drama that is popular right now and then several clips of "Community" and "The Office". They laughed at moments I didn't laugh at and vice versa. I then called that to their attention and started our discussion from there.

Anyways, besides that, I eat lunch with the kids, play at recess (I do a lot of american football matches), and clean the classroom with kids. On occasion,. I have to do cooking classes (i've taught how to make pumpkin pie, goulash, chicken pot pie, how to cook a turkey, etc). I also do cultural activities such as help run a Valentines Day party, Christmas party, Halloween haunted house, and so on. I dress all in green on St. Patty's Day and wear Christmas neckties on Christmas. It's fun and the kids really enjoy it. Finally, I also act as a translator but I am not the best at translation so that is delegated to other English teachers who are more proficient than me. I also have to attend conferences, meetings, and drinking parties with the other teachers and the parties are expensive ($100 to attend) and are mandatory.

All in all, I enjoy this job and once my 5th year is over, I plan to look for other forms of employment here.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm an engineering graduate and i'm currently working as the planetarium operator for my city's science centre where I give tours of the night sky, solar system, galaxies, etc while I search for a job as a civil engineer.

Basically I show people the universe and browse the internet in between.

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I am a substitute teacher and take any opportunity I can to teach classes about art, the universe, consciousness, and the evolution of the human spirit through societal convergence. It's fun hopping around from school to school.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
reading this thread i am jazzed that there are so many educators and teachers on swf!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That sounds like a pretty interesting job Victra, I hope you find something in CE soon!

My job is a research assistant. More or less I go to my lab and code algorithms, and read technical papers and wish I had a lab coat.

I also teach intro to programming courses in the summer for engineers

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm a part time accounting student. I'm currently doing seasonal tax preparation three days a week and I pick orders at a warehouse once a week. I am job hunting for something more related to accounting than tax preparation though. While I love tax, the clients I work with have high expectations for a refund, while paying the least amount of fees possible which results in some tension. It doesn't help that half of my clients are drug users or on welfare some of which threaten me or steal my stationery.

Being a teacher seems stressful but also enjoyable. I'd love to teach students about money, haha although I certainly have a lot more to learn!

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I work as an IS Technician for the water resource management department of an engineering consulting company. And I must say that I really love my job. I'm so happy with what I do. The only problems is that I'm a contract employment so I don't have any employment security and I'm amazed at how much the state of new jersey takes out of my paycheck.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I work as an IS Technician for the water resource management department of an engineering consulting company. And I must say that I really love my job. I'm so happy with what I do. The only problems is that I'm a contract employment so I don't have any employment security and I'm amazed at how much the state of new jersey takes out of my paycheck.
where is your work located and are they hiring civil engineers lmaoooo

Top Bottom