• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do people mean when they say to "adapt"

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
I feel like its way simpler than people are putting, but how would you define adapting in smash?? good examples?? because it seems that adapting is the thing and aparently not many people do it well

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
This is probably a stupid example, but let's say you're being really aggressive and trying to pressure your opponent, but they keep shielding and punish all of your approaches despite your best efforts. You should do your best to notice it if it keeps getting you killed and adapt to the situation by hanging back and making them approach. You can also adapt to any habits that your opponent displays. For example, if a fox/falco always sweetspots the ledge with their recovery, pick up on it and punish.

Mr.C

Smash Master
I assume you mean "adapting" within a match. It's pretty straight forward. You become "adapted" towards the current set of events for a specific use or situation.

This could happen in a lot of ways, for example: Your opponent constantly tech-rolls to the right when recovering. Knowing this information, you should adapt your game play to accommodate for his game-pattern. Likewise, it could be you who uses a specific pattern that your opponent is properly reading, for example: You're playing Falco. Your opponent has noticed a pattern within your attack strategy (laser, laser, laser, approach). Your opponent uses this information to adapt his game play to take advantage of your game-play patterns. In that case you would need to change your game strategy to alleviate damage taken through repeated patterns, thus "adapting".

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
A good way to think about it if you're not-so-good and looking for ways to get better is think about times when you've gotten hit by stupid things. Say you get hit by Falco's bair 1000000000x in a match because you keep running into it. This should be an alarm telling you that you need to not run into that bair.

The better you get and the better your opponents get, the more subtle your observations will be and the more elegant your responses.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
You are basically picking up on your opponent's playstyle and changing your own in a way that optimizes your ability to succeed.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Oh, didn't know that was the case. lol That's why I always get a quick hand job before my sets even if I'm warmed up.

TreK

Is "that guy"
It looks simple because it takes 5 seconds to explain. And this explanation won't teach you anything more than a dictionnary would. The real question is "is it easy ?"

Adaptativity is the natural evolution of a player's skill once he has the knowledge and experience to make the right decisions, and the technical ability and consistency to pull it off. Those skills take years to hone.
So my answer is no.

LLDL

Smash Hero
You aren't quite getting good tech chases in a match, then you start to notice that they are rolling to the left, you start tech chase them in that direction and punish their habit.

They switch mid match from being aggressive into a campy mode. You compensate by observing them and picking up on their approach pattern.

It really is self explanatory.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Adapting is pretty simple in concept. Actually, it's a heck of a lot easier than I thought it was. I was at some small-scale tournament and was up against a Fox who relied on dash dance -> punish whenever I tried to approach. So, I stopped approaching to see what would happen. He still didn't approach, he just kinda jumped around in my face, so he just started falling behind. I don't really know what that was supposed to accomplish, but that's beside the point, I guess.

There's also more long-term adapting, like against people you frequently play against. For example, whenever my friend loses a game, he picks Marth, goes to YS or FoD, and abuses Fsmash whenever he can instead of playing smartly and spacing. I just camp him, bait him out, and punish him. I've had a few games where I just camped and ran just to make him mad. Then he gets madder. Rinse and repeat until ragequit or snack break. Of course, it's easier said than done. YS is a cruel and unforgiving mistress.

Am I a terrible person?

Top Bottom