• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller Type You Use and Why?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I was just curious as to see what control scheme that people use and what got people into using what they use now.

I remember I used to run GC, since I was used to Melee so much, but this year I switched to Classic Controller ever since I heard a new Smash Bros. was coming to Wii U. Why the switch? Because Wii U won't be able to use GC controllers.

Anyways, I am glad that I made the switch, as it feels better than the GC setup. I can't explain it, but it just clicks for me.

Also, I am new here, so if a thread was already made about this, then I'm sorry, I just joined today. =P

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
I play with the cube controller with default controls, except I set the cstick to tilts because I suck at tilts and I never use the cstick for smashes anyway. Mostly because it's what I'm comfortable with, but I can use the classic controller pro as well.

Sometimes I use my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom fightstick for fun :awesome:

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm a Classic Controller user for Brawl. The shields are not pressure-sensitive, which makes the GameCube Controller inconvenient with the L and R buttons.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Gamecube controller, default everything, tap jump off

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Wiimote + Nunchuk

I like it but I suck entirely due to the lack of doing DI/SDIs on it.
Might as well find a Gamecube controller.

bedjy dious

Smash Rookie
i played melee when it first came out intill brawl cameout so am pro with gamecube controller plus its easy to do hidden tuants like fox samus snake wolf falco

Cleod

Smash Cadet
I prefer the gamecube controller simply because I play melee often so I'm familiar with it

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Wiichuck, with good mapping, can do everything a GC controller can.

Plus I just suck with the GCC.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I used the Wiichuck for the longest time, but then someone told me to try a GC controller. Now all I use is the GC controller.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
GC controller. It was love at first sight. Plus I had the GC controller since melee... I like to recycle.

Ice Prince

Smash Cadet
Classic controller.

Wouldn't use anything else. I'm just used to that being the general layout for console controls, so why switch up what you know? :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
GCN controller, I get beaten by 12 year olds (on a free for all though) if I try anything else or so I've noticed 2 days a go. Was the first time playing with the Wii Mote sideways and Wii Mote + Nunchuck and I both suck at it. Though I could get better used to the Nunchuck combos once I held my arms crossed and the buttons where sort of at the same place as they where on a GCN controller, but I still sucked. Mainly cause shielding doesnt go as fluent as it should be, and I have a hard time jumping with anything that isn't a X button so... Maybe I'll be better with a Classic Controller though, haven't tried it yet but so far I'll say GCN is the obvious superiour control system.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Gamecube Controller with default settings, unless I am playing with a gliding character, in which case I have 'L' as jump.

I use it because I played Melee since release, its what I'm used to.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I use the GameCube controller since its what I've been using since I was 8-9 years old and its pretty much perfect anyway. My 2nd choice is the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
PC Keyboard... Why? Becuase I'm playing Brawl Emulated on Dolphin with no other controller options - Works quite well actually!

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
I'll be using the Classic Controller Pro because the Wii I'm getting is the newer model. Besides when the Wii U comes out there will be no GameCube Controller support for it anyway so I might as well get used to a useable controller style.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only downside with the Classic Controller Pro is that the L and R buttons are not pressure-sensitive. While Brawl doesn't have pressure-sensitivity, other games may have it, such as DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Classic Controller, partially because my knew Wii is the stupid version without slots for Gamecube controllers, partially because it gives me a reason to use something most people generally don't use (probably used the least save for Wiimote users). Also my Gamecube controller is not wireless, and I generally hate the wireless ones, and my Classic Controller obviously is.

gettysburg11

Smash Cadet
I used to use the Wiimote because that's what I used when I first played the game at a friend's house, but once I realized that the Wiimote was pretty awful and saw how much better the GC Controller was, I switched and I've never looked back.

Azula

Smash Cadet
CC-Pro. I used to use GC Controller like all these other old-fashioned people, but decided to switch at one point due to fear that GC controllers would become discontinued or that mine would break or something... Better to get used to the Classic Controllers sooner than later. And the CC-Pro has all the same functions brawl-wise as a GC controller.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My brother sometimes complains about hitting commands on the Classic Controller and it not responding in the game even though the batteries are not low. I tell him it is likely him either being mistaken and he is accidentally hitting the analog stick in the wrong angle or lag from being hit prevented him from doing so. My question is, do they do this on occasion? I don't believe it happens to me, except maybe once or twice, though I have a hard time wanting to blame it on a controller.

Azula

Smash Cadet
that never seems to happen to me with my CC-Pro. Perhaps he is trying to buffer his moves with bad timing and so his inputs aren't registering.

mariomaster21

Smash Rookie
I can use whatever, but I prefer the GC controller. I can use the Wii mote plenty well, but I just find the GC controller more comfortable

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
I don't get it but to each their own

Gamecube Controller since that's what the game was designed for. I don't see how any of the newer controller options presented with the Wii offer any advantages to the Gamecube controller.

Classic Controller, partially because my knew Wii is the stupid version without slots for Gamecube controllers, partially because it gives me a reason to use something most people generally don't use (probably used the least save for Wiimote users). Also my Gamecube controller is not wireless, and I generally hate the wireless ones, and my Classic Controller obviously is.
CC-Pro. I used to use GC Controller like all these other old-fashioned people, but decided to switch at one point due to fear that GC controllers would become discontinued or that mine would break or something... Better to get used to the Classic Controllers sooner than later. And the CC-Pro has all the same functions brawl-wise as a GC controller.
I will adjust to the new controller schemes when the time comes. Only takes a day or two and that is at least something you can practice against a computer player.

I understand the Wii U will not have Gamecube controller ports, however, that doesn't mean Nintendo or a third party manufacturer will not create a Wiimote attachment to connect a Gamecube Controller and translate input from the Gamecube controller to the Wiimote to the Wii U. It can be done. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to do it since they would want to promote sales instead of people using their own controllers, but there is a chance MadCatz or somebody else might try it if there is enough demand for it.

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
Nunchuck, recently turned tap jump off.

I use it because its what I learned on...and because it pisses people off that I can beat them with it. ;)

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Most people use GC controller i barely know anyone who does not use GC controller

TK64

Smash Rookie
GCN because as previously stated the game is pretty much made for it.

I also used it right off the bat when I got the game because I was used to it due to Melee.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
Gamecube Controller since that's what the game was designed for. I don't see how any of the newer controller options presented with the Wii offer any advantages to the Gamecube controller.

I will adjust to the new controller schemes when the time comes. Only takes a day or two and that is at least something you can practice against a computer player.

I understand the Wii U will not have Gamecube controller ports, however, that doesn't mean Nintendo or a third party manufacturer will not create a Wiimote attachment to connect a Gamecube Controller and translate input from the Gamecube controller to the Wiimote to the Wii U. It can be done. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to do it since they would want to promote sales instead of people using their own controllers, but there is a chance MadCatz or somebody else might try it if there is enough demand for it.
It would be a waste of assets and time to create a Gamecube attachment, just play with the CCP, you will learn.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controller because it's legit. If any of my other controllers die, I might switch to classic pro.

Top Bottom