• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller do you use (Poll)?

What controller do you use

• Xbox 360 Controller

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • PS1/PS2/PS3 Controller

• N64 Controller

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • GameCube Classic

• Keyboard

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Other (Please post more info)

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
@Sempiternity I didn't know that'd work.
I only know this because of accidentally moving the mouse when inputting buttons, and it shows up as a mouse axis. Anyway, it's really confusing, because muscle memory tells you to move the mouse back to the center of the screen (or original position), so whenever you perform an action, you're battling with what's on the screen and what your brain's instinctively telling you to do.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Depending on how quickly you move it, you'll dash or walk, and you have to continue moving the mouse to keep moving. So it's the initial mouse movement that determines the type of movement. However, it's easy to run out of mousepad. :|

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Huh, that sounds annoying (the running out of mousepad). I tried using mouse before and just couldn't do it, which is why I bought a $10 Logitech.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
wonder if a mouse-only setup is viable

map directions to axis movement, a and b to mouse, z and r to various buttons

it sounds stupid and probably is

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
And then if you master one-handed typing you can troll your opponent with messages while you taunt him in game! Genius idea!

But yeah, that sounds amazingly difficult to master. Finite mousepad problem. Maybe using 2 mice set up almost identically so you can stagger the movement. Watching someone play like that could be very funny.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Genius! And the mousepad situation is easily remedied by picking up your mouse and replacing it in the center. The thing is that if you play Smash with a pad, not every movement will be mirrored, so you will never be able to reset your mouse without lifting it up.

My setup was A and B as my mouse buttons, and crap like jump and shield and grab on the keyboard. My mouse doesn't have enough buttons... :(

asianaussie

Smash Hero
imagine using only a laptop touchpad to play

losing to someone using touchpad only would be so humiliating

better yet, someone using a tablet and a soft keyboard :awesome:

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
imagine using only a laptop touchpad to play

losing to someone using touchpad only would be so humiliating

better yet, someone using a tablet and a soft keyboard :awesome:
Playing seriously? I think I'd stop playing for a while due to training reasons.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I just remembered many laptops have the little "nub" mouse in the center of the keyboard that doesn't suffer from the finite mousepad problem.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
But the tip of your finguer is not that big to fix that problem, and those laptops are kindda old, I don't think they'd run a N64 game correctly.
But I've never teste personally, so who knows.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
My 3-year old 2 GHz dual-core laptop has a nub mouse and it runs emulator smash perfectly at 60 fps. I don't think the nubs are restricted to older laptops. But I have a USB controller anyways so I've never tried using it.

Olikus

Smash Champion
This should be a public poll. Would be nice to see who uses what. Is it possible to make it a public poll, or is it too late, when its first made non-public?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I find kiss-***** the worst

But yeah..get to the controllers
You callin' me a kiss-***? Because that's the one thing I cannot be accused of with respect to you. Or are you calling Kuz a kiss-***? Because I think that was his genuine opinion and not an attempt to smooch tuchas.

I like the vast majority of your posts, Battlecow. Your America-meatriding/constantly poking fun at foreigners is pretty annoying though. Oh, and your grammar Nazi posts (although you seem to have stopped doing those).
What is it with Asians? They never do manage to understand the subtle western arts of irony and sarcasm.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
What is it with Asians? They never do manage to understand the subtle western arts of irony and sarcasm.
our brand of wit is so deep and complex it perplexes others while the wit of weaker minds frustrates us and compels us to vent this anger on those around us :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::awesome:

to be fair, being ironic, sarcastic, cynical, sardonic or etc in a forum post isn't quite as obvious when you aren't the one posting it

and i do understand this post itself was not serious

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Here's a picture showing my favorite controllers for playing the Smash Bros. games.

Of course when I play the original game on the Nintendo 64 I use the standard N64 pad but nowadays my friends and I almost always play the Virtual Console version of SSB.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
that wii controller is like a ****e version of the GC one, i mean, if something is newer, shouldn't it be better or at least as good? ... But no, the newer, the worse

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
that wii controller is like a ****e version of the GC one, i mean, if something is newer, shouldn't it be better or at least as good? ... But no, the newer, the worse
Classic Controller Pros aren’t horrible once you get used to them but yeah they’re not as good as the AWESOME GameCube controller.

Dan$inyi

Smash Apprentice
I used to play keyboard, now that i can play with
the n64 controller again i couldnt see myself going back to kb

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Even I like playing with n64 and ps1 pads, I know for sure that KB is beast damn good.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I love superslow walking with yoshi and luigi, they look so stupid.
And Falcon isn't even walking, he's sliding.

Anyway keyboard sucks in a lot of aspects [/troll].

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
my controller is kinda screwy now, so if i slow walk, sometimes i can get the stick to the spot where it makes my char walk VERY sporadicly...as if they start and stop again a few times per second

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
not being able to slow walk messes up some of my dash grabs, that is my main issue with keyboard.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
For example I know some people who like to grab>slow walk>dash grab as falcon against falcons (not sure if it connects, but besides the point). I'm pretty sure that's impossible on keyboard.

There are other situations where slow walking> initial dash grabs are advantageous.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Now it makes a little more sence.
But I still don't see the good part of that.
Maybe I yet don't understand though.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
sorry for explaining it poorly, what Ciaza said, it is mostly annoying when I use Falcon and I try to quickly grab a Fox or some other character.

Kilo16

Smash Rookie
I spliced the original xbox controller to a USB and downloaded drivers for it online. So that's what I use when a 64 isn't available...then if I must I resort to keyboard.

Top Bottom