• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller do you use (Poll)?

What controller do you use

• Xbox 360 Controller

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • PS1/PS2/PS3 Controller

• N64 Controller

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • GameCube Classic

• Keyboard

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Other (Please post more info)

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

FIREL

Smash Ace
Smash 64 Days... wasn't good at it, though it was very fun. I can't remeber which game I was playing I think I was playing Smash 64 and I snapped the joystick of my favorite N64 controler (probally worn out over time).

B Link

Smash Lord
I'm currently using a madcatz, which is like an xbox 360 controller except with less trigger buttons. The only advantage over the n64 controller is that it's joystick won't wear out. Otherwise it sucks. I don't recommend it at all.

I've broken / worn out my last two n64 controllers that I bought so I don't think I'll be going back to it anytime soon. When I was using the n64 controller I used the mayflash usb adapter.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
As a new player to the smash community, I'm a little confused by this thread. I play SSB64 on my N64 so I use a Nintendo 64 controller. I didn't realize so many people played on emulators. Do SSB64 tournaments play on emulators which allow for keyboards and other controllers?

Battlecow

Play to Win
As a new player to the smash community, I'm a little confused by this thread. I play SSB64 on my N64 so I use a Nintendo 64 controller. I didn't realize so many people played on emulators. Do SSB64 tournaments play on emulators which allow for keyboards and other controllers?
Emulators allow for online play, and since playing against really good people is hard to do if you live 500 miles apart, emulators are useful. Of course, you can still play on an emulator with a controller, but some people start out on keyboards and find them more convenient/less expensive/whatever.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
Ahhh. You know what the problem was. My first introduction to competitive smash was Isai's SSB64 videos. In the videos he said that everything was on console. I just assumed that was the same for everyone. I should know better by now.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Ahhh. You know what the problem was. My first introduction to competitive smash was Isai's SSB64 videos. In the videos he said that everything was on console. I just assumed that was the same for everyone. I should know better by now.
Console is generally considered to be slightly better if you have people to play with. Isai doesn't record online matches much because he feels that delay (which, for us mortals, is no big deal at lower levels of delay) really cramps his style.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Console is generally considered to be slightly better if you have people to play with. Isai doesn't record online matches much because he feels that delay (which, for us mortals, is no big deal at lower levels of delay) really cramps his style.
"slightly better"? You really need to play some console :p

Delay makes a huge difference. I'd even say that emulator makes a difference.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The difference between 5 frames and no frames is absurd, even for us mere mortals.

I like online or laptop setups better because finding (U) or (J) smash owned by good smashers in Australia is nigh-impossible.

Battlecow

Play to Win
"slightly better"? You really need to play some console :p

Delay makes a huge difference. I'd even say that emulator makes a difference.
By "at lower levels" I meant the 1 frame of delay that I always get. Yes, I can tell the difference between this and 3 frames, and of course 5 frames is very, very bad in comparison to console, but I like to assume the best-case scenario.

B Link

Smash Lord
WHAT I just removed the rubber grips from my madcatz controller and now it feels great haha. Almost as good as n64 except it has a rubber stick. Should have done this a long time ago.

When my hands got sweaty I would slip and wonder why my game was getting worse. Now I know why.

malva00

Smash Master
Isai doesn't record online matches much because he feels that delay (which, for us mortals, is no big deal at lower levels of delay) really cramps his style.
Just in case someone doesn't know, I don't talk to this person at all (and almost no one on this board/galaxy) so try not to pay attention to anything people say about how I think or feel. There's a good chance it might be misleading/false.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
hey malva how well do you think you'd do playing on kb? assuming some practice and 1 frame of delay and all

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just in case someone doesn't know, I don't talk to this person at all (and almost no one on this board/galaxy) so try not to pay attention to anything people say about how I think or feel. There's a good chance it might be misleading/false.
Touchy touchy. People ask a lot of questions about you (you being our local celebrity and all) and we try to give accurate answers based on what you've said in the past. There's nothing misleading or false going on. If you actually don't record online matches for a different reason, please enlighten us, but you've repeatedly intimated in the past that this style-cramping explanation was the correct one.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So we're supposed to ignore people whenever they ask questions about him (which is all the time, btw)?

Top Bottom