• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller do you use (Poll)?

What controller do you use

• Xbox 360 Controller

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • PS1/PS2/PS3 Controller

• N64 Controller

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • GameCube Classic

• Keyboard

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Other (Please post more info)

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Why didn't Magma Dragon put the numbers in the poll clickable to see who uses which controller?
Even we all kind of know who uses what though...

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I used to use keyboard until I bought myself two of these for less than $10 each: Logitech Dual Action

They work fairly well and I'm dependent on having an analog joystick (never got used to kb and I never really figured out how to / am not coordinated enough to buffer tilts/walk properly lol), but having played on a friend's console recently I've been suspecting either his N64 controllers have really stuck joysticks or the default range on my controller is too high (tilts require near-surgical precision but running and smashes are easy). Also I have trouble SH'ing consistently when button sliding (but then again I can't do that on a N64 controller either). I got two of them b/c they were so cheap and so I can play fake offline smash with people from the dorms (nobody around owns an N64 console :( ).

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Also I have trouble SH'ing consistently when button sliding (but then again I can't do that on a N64 controller either).
How long have you been playing SSB64?
If I can know that of course, if you don't want to say/write it just ignore this...

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I played it a little bit at friends' houses back when the N64 was the latest Nintendo system but I was a real noob back then ^^ so I never got into it. Many (many many ... ) moons passed. Then maybe 8 or 9 months ago I found out about smashboards so I installed an emulator and started playing again.

The Star King

Smash Hero
For the SSB Chilean National torunament, at least 6 person came to the palce with a usb keyboad below his arm XD !!!!
Man, I don't want to force my opinion onto people or anything... But if people show up to a CONSOLE tournament, they should really try to play with a N64 controller.

And this is coming from somebody who only plays keyboard and is absolute trash on the n64 controller, so it's not like I'm biased or anything.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
i had a logitech dual action as my first controller, it just randomly stopped turning on one day so I had to switch to kb then later i got a ps2 adapter and have been using ps2 controller ever since

Battlecow

Play to Win
Man, I don't want to force my opinion onto people or anything... But if people show up to a CONSOLE tournament, they should really try to play with a N64 controller.

And this is coming from somebody who only plays keyboard and is absolute trash on the n64 controller, so it's not like I'm biased or anything.
Seems to me like all you're doing there is lowering the tourney's total skill level dramatically for the sake of image or because of a little DI discrepancy. Doesn't seem necessary.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
let me preface this with i'm not hating, just curious.

I don't understand why KB players don't just buy a 64 controller and adapter. 64 controllers really aren't that hard to pick up (craigslist, fleamarkets, yard sales, used videogame stores, and in all of these cases you can test the stick) and usually don't cost more than $15. If you're gonna spend as much time as a lot of ppl do getting good at this game wouldn't you want to be able to play it on console too.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Seems to me like all you're doing there is lowering the tourney's total skill level dramatically for the sake of image or because of a little DI discrepancy. Doesn't seem necessary.
Seems to me like you had a little quarrel with Star King in the social thread and seem to think that incorrectly attacking his posts makes you look like the smarter individual.

But what do I know?

If my opponent used KB at a console tourney I could care less, but making them play on an emu when they may be used to console is simply unfair.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Seems to me like you had a little quarrel with Star King in the social thread and seem to think that incorrectly attacking his posts makes you look like the smarter individual.
Don't be like that. I'm a Keyboard player who wants to go to tourneys; of course I'm going to argue the way I did. Star King is one of my favorite people on this forum, and I was disagreeing with him in a perfectly civil way. I don't even know the social thread argument you're referring to. Please act your age. :glare:

But what do I know?
Very little, evidently.

If my opponent used KB at a console tourney I could care less, but making them play on an emu when they may be used to console is simply unfair.
If there really is a significant difference, then fine. Guess I'll just have to manufacture that KB-N64 adapter and hope that TO's are merciful.

let me preface this with i'm not hating, just curious.

I don't understand why KB players don't just buy a 64 controller and adapter. 64 controllers really aren't that hard to pick up (craigslist, fleamarkets, yard sales, used videogame stores, and in all of these cases you can test the stick) and usually don't cost more than $15. If you're gonna spend as much time as a lot of ppl do getting good at this game wouldn't you want to be able to play it on console too.
I have an adapter and a bunch of good controllers, but I just can't seem to learn to play with any level of skill. I went controller-exclusive for about a month once and practiced an hour a day, but I barely got any better at all. I would guess that this is the case for a lot of KB'ers.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Aww, kuz and battlecow are like my 2 favorite posters. Don't fight!!!

But yah console >>>> emulator. And I cannot comprehend someone having controllers but preferring keyboard.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I guess the problem is that I never had a TV growing up, so I don't have the sort of console vidya-gamin' experience that you guys have. Everything just feels unnatural when I try to play on controller.

And for your sake, dear ballin', I extend an apologetic virtual hug to th3kuzinator.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
i played KB for a while when i first started...going to a controller was awesome, even if it was just a crappy Logitech one at the time xD

I have an N64 controller adepter for my PC but it wont work with any of my controllers...it's awful x.x

The Star King

Smash Hero
Haha, Ballin and Kuz are amongst my favorite people on this forum (even though Ballin probably doesn't like me much), what is this. GROUP HUG?

ANYWAYS, I don't want to ban keyboards because of DI (although that's a good reason too). I can't really think of a good way to put this in words, but controllers other than N64 don't seem "legit" to me. If you try to go to a Melee tournament with something that isn't a Gamecube controller, you'll be disqualified faster than you can say "wavedash".

Not a very strong argument at all, I'll admit it.

Olikus

Smash Champion
i played KB for a while when i first started...going to a controller was awesome, even if it was just a crappy Logitech one at the time xD

I have an N64 controller adepter for my PC but it wont work with any of my controllers...it's awful x.x
Thats weird unless you have a crappy adapter. All of my 4 controller which are bought on different times works great. And I even bought a cheap adapter.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Haha, Ballin and Kuz are amongst my favorite people on this forum (even though Ballin probably doesn't like me much), what is this. GROUP HUG?

ANYWAYS, I don't want to ban keyboards because of DI (although that's a good reason too). I can't really think of a good way to put this in words, but controllers other than N64 don't seem "legit" to me. If you try to go to a Melee tournament with something that isn't a Gamecube controller, you'll be disqualified faster than you can say "wavedash".

Not a very strong argument at all, I'll admit it.
lol why would I dislike you?

I guess because you hated on my name haha

The Star King

Smash Hero
I like the vast majority of your posts, Battlecow. Your America-meatriding/constantly poking fun at foreigners is pretty annoying though. Oh, and your grammar Nazi posts (although you seem to have stopped doing those).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I like the vast majority of your posts, Battlecow. Your America-meatriding/constantly poking fun at foreigners is pretty annoying though. Oh, and your grammar Nazi posts (although you seem to have stopped doing those).
grammar nazi posts annoy me in general

/offtopic

I find kiss-***** the worst

But yeah..get to the controllers

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
are you insinuating something there, surri?

I find mods calling people out for kiss-***ing the worst.

didnt see that coming

But yeah that keyboard...its pri good.

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
So check this out:

Apparently this was a console actually made by Nintendo to exclusively sell in China. The console is basically an N64 inside the controller (kind of like those plug and play games). It's from 2003 (so ahead of the gamecube era) and i've seen videos of it and one reviewer said that the joystick on it feels really solid in terms of quality. I wish i could use this on a real n64 console

oh and L is on the left, R is on the right and Z is behind the L

Top Bottom