• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What configuration?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I'm trying out new ATs for Peach, but I don't know what controller configuration I should use. I'm using a GC controller.

What would you recommend me to use? What do you use?

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I use tap jump off or the default configuration. There's some interesting things like the Free turnip pull with the B stick but I'm used to using the C stick for a lot of my aerials already.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
I'm going to bump this because it's a relevant question to mine.

I've been experimenting with several controller setups in an effort to make the following possible:

1) Still be able to CStick glidetoss.
2) Have a trigger jump button for float tricks.
3) Be able to smash with an item, requiring holding an attack button and CSticking+Z.

Note that with the trigger jump, while other characters have to do some laggy move to hold the attack button to ready an item-in-hand smash, Peach only has to Trigger Jump + insta float + hold attack + land, which is over in a split second, and she can do it on the move. Opponents never know if you prepped, so they're always wary of your ability to smash the moment you master this.

My own setup: Because I shield with R, I've mapped L to jump. CStick is still set to smash. I've set Y to attack and am now holding the controller with ring finger shield, middle finger Z, and index finger leaning on Y. The only awkward thing is shielding with ring finger. This setup lets you do all of the above, which I consider to be not essential, but highly useful to a really good Peach's game.

So, you can insta-float with trigger > Y > land, then run around and Cstick smash or let go for glidetoss, or just go for Peach's normal aerial game. Or just throw it.

Default controls make item-smashing almost impossible. The above setup is still a little awkward, so I'm looking for someone whose setup allows them to do the above with a less awkward setup. I have tap jump on; I don't mess up utilt, although that doesn't matter much to this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHppOHdDZ2s
I wonder if this person's setup is less awkward.

Peach is my secondary. I've played her for a while. If I get this to work, I plan to make Peach my main.

---
I'm also wondering if there's any fast way to insta float > nair > land. I do Down + trigger jump > let go of control stick (takes time) > nair > land. I can obviously just hop the nair, but it's good to be able to pull out a fast nair near the floor sometimes. It's also inconvenient to base this off timing, since wrong timing = dair or very slow. Is there another way I don't know of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxUxtCxBPI
Vanz does it quite a bit in this video. That nair seems to come out really fast, so I don't think he's inputting the buttons I just described.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I haven't a clue how Vanz does it, but if you've got the cstick set to tilts, and hit a diagonal (I think, don't quote me!) on it in the air, you do a nair. It might just be a diagonal of up & back idk?
Anyway, aside from that I would just guess good timing, knowing when you can let go of down?
But hey, what do i know?

BTW I think you have some incredibly badass fingers, imo. I have issues hitting shield with my middle & index on Z... just feels goofy. Do you have tentacles for hands or something?

White-Peach

Smash Ace
You might want to read up on CLAWing to have all of your needs met.

As for instafloat NAirs:

(Control Stick)Down + (x/y) to start the float
Release the Control Stick and Press A to start the NAir
Let go of x/y
Fastfall.

Fingers:
Left thumb down on control stick with right thumb down on x(i dont use y :p)
Release the control stick while simultaneously rolling your thumb from x to A
smash down on the control stick again

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies. =)

As for instafloat NAirs:

Let go of x/y
Fastfall.

Fingers:
That instafloat nair takes time to input. If you A too early, you dair. If you A late, it's really slow.

cstick tilts
This works like an A button. You still dair if you're holding down on your control stick. It's useful for nair'ing reliably and quickly, but it doesn't make a difference here, since you still have to let go of down and time that A.

Vanz does it a lot faster than I'd expect is possible with ^ methods.

Example at 0:30 of the video.
Link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxUxtCxBPI

I've looked up clawing before.

Judging by this thread,
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180115&highlight=claw

.. my setup is pretty similar to the claw. although I'm still thumbing B and A and X for jump.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight

As for instafloat NAirs:

Let go of x/y
Fastfall.

Fingers:
I prefer using y because then theres no need to roll your thumb. you just press the A button with the lower part of your thumb.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Only mod: Grab set to x. Makes grabbing so much easier. Stupid Z feels out of the way.

Xyless

Smash Master
My changes are...
Tap Jump = Off
R Button = Jump (for easier floating controls)
X Button = Taunt (because I don't use it anyway, and then people who use my name learn not to use it :p)

Top Bottom