• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yes, but the actual structure and design of MM is wildly different from OoT.
Yeah, the gameplay itself is a big reason why I didn't like it, it doesn't click for me.
Zelda games never did for me, really. So I'm afraid I can't like them. I think I might've said in this thread I actually tried enjoying Zelda but I couldn't (atleast I hope, else you'll feel kinda lost0 so it's not like I didn't give them a chance.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, the gameplay itself is a big reason why I didn't like it, it doesn't click for me.
Zelda games never did for me, really. So I'm afraid I can't like them. I think I might've said in this thread I actually tried enjoying Zelda but I couldn't (atleast I hope, else you'll feel kinda lost0 so it's not like I didn't give them a chance.
I've said this before somewhere on these boards, probably in this very thread, but I feel like LoZ is a series you have to have either grown up on or have played when they were new to really appreciate. Like most long-runners TBH.

Still, you should at least try MM. It's a pretty big departure from the rest of the series in a lot of ways.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Maybe give 2D Zelda a chance? A Link Between Worlds is pretty damn fantastic

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Maybe give 2D Zelda a chance? A Link Between Worlds is pretty damn fantastic
I gave the original Zelda, Zelda 2 and ALttP one hell of a chance. If it wasn't like, dozens of pages back, I'd copy-paste my experience with the original, but it basically went like:
  • I started watching the AVGN in late 2011;
  • He uploads his review of Zelda 2 to his Youtube channel. I watch it, and throughout the entire thing he makes it sound like the original Zelda is so good it cures cancer.
  • I download a strategy guide and a manual to the game and try playing through it on my on with only AVGNs comments as reassurance that it was any good.
  • One piece of the Triforce later, I realised I hated what I was playing then stopped.
Yeah I found it really freaking boring. I guess I can split the blame between me and AVGN since he was probably looking at it through rose-tinted sunglasses and I was naive to believe that anything he said wasn't just his nostalgia speaking for him.
Then ALttP. That is actually a game I used to play as a kid. The bit where you rescue Zelda at the start is the farthest I got as a dumb little child that couldn't read English, though.

Around the same that I did my longplay of Zelda 1 and detested it, I bought an SNES for Christmas. It came with ALttP and since that was a game I kind of knew, I knew it had potential to be somewhat fun... and I still had hope a Zelda game could've possibly been as good as AVGN made the original sound like it was, so screw it, I played through the game. And... I kind of liked it, actually. But, I kinda got bored of it. So you could say I didn't like it for long. Then the battery in the cartridge died and I that sealed the deal.

Sometimes, when I'm really bored late at night, I give Zelda 2 a go, then I play it for 5 minutes until I remember "Hey, not even Zelda fans like this game, I don't even like Zelda so who am I to think that this is gonna be any good?" then I shut it off and leave feeling like I made a really good decision.

finalark

SNORLAX
  • I started watching the AVGN in late 2011;
  • He uploads his review of Zelda 2 to his Youtube channel. I watch it, and throughout the entire thing he makes it sound like the original Zelda is so good it cures cancer.
Well, there's your problem.

I mean, if LoZ isn't for you then it just isn't for you. But after years and years of seeing people act like their favorite nostalgia games are the most important contribution to the human race since the works of Socrates I've come to develop a "every game is overrated" mentality. It actually works out pretty well.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I mean, if LoZ isn't for you then it just isn't for you. But after years and years of seeing people act like their favorite nostalgia games are the most important contribution to the human race since the works of Socrates I've come to develop a "every game is overrated" mentality. It actually works out pretty well.
I see that really, really often...
That's why I admitted the blame is kind of split on me and him. Alteast after that experience I orta learned to only trust myself and not reviewers.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You've pretty much tried out the influential Zelda games, so it's definitely safe to say that the series isn't for you. I know people have brought up Majora's Mask. While it's true that it's really different, and quite a lot of the people that didn't like the popular ones love MM, I still can't say I'd recommend it to you entirely. Game's different but the basis of it is still a Zelda game.

As for how I approach games, I don't really view them as every game is overrated as a mentality. Honestly I don't care too much of what the general opinion of the game is. I'm still looking forward to trying out Undertale and other well talked games, but I'm fortunate to not be bothered by other opinions or find them hazardous.

And while I didn't see anything "too" bad in the past pages, make sure to keep opinions and responses as friendly as possible. How you express things can go a long way on what gets said afterwards. Whether you're expressing your unpopular opinion or can't understand why they have such an opinion, you know the rules.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, AVGN is a show that puts comedy in front of actual critiquing (with the exception of accentuating the negative). I mean, he's not exactly the one to go to for a good recommendation but more so a laugh.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
To be fair, AVGN is a show that puts comedy in front of actual critiquing (with the exception of accentuating the negative). I mean, he's not exactly the one to go to for a good recommendation but more so a laugh.
Pretty much. Over the years some of the stuff is a bit less genuine so to speak to keep getting those laughs.

Honestly, AVGN is entertaining. If anyone's using these videos as serious reviews when he plays the games or compares them to a good game, you probably should be reevaluating how you should be taking in these videos... They're for fun.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Honestly, AVGN is entertaining. If anyone's using these videos as serious reviews when he plays the games or compares them to a good game, you probably should be reevaluating how you should be taking in these videos... They're for fun.
Well, we said before that somehow, people manage to take both Yahtzee seriously, take his opinion as law and enforce it on others, and that's far worse. So a sucker really is born every minute.
Comedic reviews always feel like they're for... comedy rather than critique. Who would've guessed! Atleast AVGN tends to mostly speak about games that are unanimously bad, easy targets. But thanks to the Zelda example, he doesn't really have a say to me when he's talking about anything he finds good.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I think I prefer OoT to MM and nowadays people have seemed to shift over to MM and says it's better. Mainly it's because of dungeons.

I wish Zelda games adapt a new battle system some time soon.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think I prefer OoT to MM and nowadays people have seemed to shift over to MM and says it's better. Mainly it's because of dungeons.
I wouldn't necessarily say so, OoT still got further in that silly GFaqs greatest game ever poll.

I've always said that MM > OoT, which got me a lot of **** in the long period that OoT was considered the greatest game ever made (and by many is still considered as such), so seeing the opinion shift does make me feel kinda vindicated lol.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
People say "best game ever this" "best game ever that"
What the hell is even a best game ever? It might be for you, but another person might find your best game ever to be bad.
You know, much like I don't like Ocarina of Time?
To me, a best game ever would probably be a real life simulator where real life doesn't suck, but I suppose that's too big a bet to make on a game.

finalark

SNORLAX
People say "best game ever this" "best game ever that"
What the hell is even a best game ever? It might be for you, but another person might find your best game ever to be bad.
There is no such thing as a best game ever. It doesn't matter how masterfully designed and mechanically sound your game is. Time might not be kind to it, or it might not really appeal to everyone. Hype trains are inane and asinine. Just play what you like.

also anime games are trash
I wouldn't go as far as to say anything with an anime art style is trash, but I cannot for the life of me get into anime-esque fighters like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue or Persona Arena. They're not bad games, they're usually pretty good when you get down to the nitty gritty. But for me personally they're just too flashy, have too many mechanics and I rarely feel like I actually have control over a match.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Not really unpopular though.
I'd say it's unpopular, anime - based games sell a **** ton and have a ton of fans. DragonBall is still getting games despite most being average, along with Naruto and One Piece and whatever other weeny goodness there is. A lot of the time, those are either average, or mediocre, yet fans clamor for them by the millions.
i remember when i posted an actual unpopular opinion
And I apologize for that. In hindsight, I was being nitpicky.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's unpopular, anime - based games sell a **** ton and have a ton of fans. DragonBall is still getting games despite most being average, along with Naruto and One Piece and whatever other weeny goodness there is. A lot of the time, those are either average, or mediocre, yet fans clamor for them by the millions.
And I apologize for that. In hindsight, I was being nitpicky.
Ah right, thought the general consensus was that any movie/tv show based game was bad. My mistake.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Generally they are (though I will admit they have been getting better over the years), but fanboys and all that.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I dunno, I remember DBZ having some good games.

Sagas ain't one of them, though. Though, that isn't really unpopular.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I don't understand the mentality of "I would have played this game, it seems nice, except the fanbase sucks". If the fanbase sucks, don't engage with the fanbase (or, better yet, don't engage with the parts of it that suck). I've seen a Metacritic user review of Undertale that gave it a 0 for this reason, despite calling it funny and clever. I don't get it.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I don't understand the mentality of "I would have played this game, it seems nice, except the fanbase sucks". If the fanbase sucks, don't engage with the fanbase (or, better yet, don't engage with the parts of it that suck). I've seen a Metacritic user review of Undertale that gave it a 0 for this reason, despite calling it funny and clever. I don't get it.
I have some friends that do it. Yeah, it really sucks.
Even if I do buy Undertale someday, I guess I'll just avoid the people that... aren't worth talking to.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sometimes people are horribly irrational.

Sometimes they want to be special snowflakes.

Either way, it's really dumb to avoid something you might enjoy because of perceived issues with people who like it. Especially since any fanbase can come off as toxic or obnoxious if you talk to the wrong people.

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
I have some friends that do it. Yeah, it really sucks.
Even if I do buy Undertale someday, I guess I'll just avoid the people that... aren't worth talking to.
at first i refused to play undertale because the fandom made it really off-putting for me, but then my friend bought it for me and it's really a fun game when u ignore the terrible and unfunny memes overused in the splatoon miiverse community and on tumblr, so i would definitely give it a try if you're ever thinking about it one day

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I'm not sure if this is considered to be an unpopular opinion but I think the Mario RPGs are much better than the main series Mario platformer games.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
My unpopular gaming opinion:

Undertale beat all those other games in Gamefaq's Greatest Game Ever poll. As such, I decided to take a look at it to find out why it won so decisively over games that basically defined a generation.
I have read reviews, watched gameplay, read some details about the plot and even tried the demo. To be quite honest, i'm failing to see what all the hype is about and what it is exactly that's making people swear it's the greatest game ever created.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
New I'm not sure if this is considered to be an unpopular opinion but I think the Mario RPGs are much better than the main series Mario platformer games.
Hmmm, it's probably unpopular between the more casual players but not unpopular at all between anyone that's actually played any of the Mario RPGs.

Undertale beat all those other games in Gamefaq's Greatest Game Ever poll. As such, I decided to take a look at it to find out why it won so decisively over games that basically defined a generation.
I have read reviews, watched gameplay, read some details about the plot and even tried the demo. To be quite honest, i'm failing to see what all the hype is about and what it is exactly that's making people swear it's the greatest game ever created.
Atleast I've been noticing that, every year, someone releases some small game, usually indie, full of deeper meanings and an interesting story that catches the internet by storm and people love it. In 2012, it was Spec Ops: The Line, 2013 was Stanley Parable and Papers, Please, I have no idea what game it was at 2014, and now, in 2015, it's Undertale.

Undertale is no different than any of those other games, except that it shows what happens if their popularity spirals out of control, since all of those other ones had a somewhat small fanbase, especially when compared to Undertale.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Atleast I've been noticing that, every year, someone releases some small game, usually indie, full of deeper meanings and an interesting story that catches the internet by storm and people love it. Please, I have no idea what game it was at 2014,
Pretty sure the popular indie game(s) in 2014 is the Five Nights at Freddy's series.

Twewy

Smash Lord

The hype, I guess at least for me, was experiencing it all for the first time blind. Spoiling some of it for yourself makes you know what to expect and makes you go "eh, well". Plus, the demo only covers up to the first boss fight, I believe? You only get to see a bit of what makes people like the game so much.

I do disagree to people calling it the best game ever though. It's just really well written, has a neat twist on RPG mechanics and has great music. It didn't really revolutionize anything besides showing how much a skeleton can like spaghetti.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
It didn't really revolutionize anything besides showing how much a skeleton can like spaghetti.
Is it me, or does this sound like it's on EarthBound levels of weird? Because from what I've seen of EarthBound, it's weird. Like, REALLY weird.

finalark

SNORLAX
Is it me, or does this sound like it's on EarthBound levels of weird? Because from what I've seen of EarthBound, it's weird. Like, REALLY weird.
Earthbound is a game about a a kid who is tasked to save the world by a talking bee from the future named buzz buzz.

At one part you have to get rid of a giant pencil with a pencil eraser.

Another part has you saving a girl from a cult obsessed with the color blue.

Really, Earthbound's weirdness pretty much its only selling point.

Undertale is very obviously inspired by EarthBound. Even if you aren't familiar with Toby's history with EarthBound (he made that one ROM hack a while ago), there are some telltale signs. Off the top of my head, the Temmies are essentially self-insert Mr. Saturns, and I believe a few songs sample EarthBound (Ghost Fight includes Venus's voice, among other soundfonts.).

Toby actually showed up to an EarthBound convention I went to last year to talk about Undertale, which was what reminded me that it was still a thing. It's still weird to see how huge it's gotten in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom