• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your thoughts on Spirit Mode?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/aevanko/status/1058013060319784962?s=21

According to this, world of light is ONLY battles, no platforming stages and no story/cutscenes outside of the opening cinematic.

My hype just died again. All I wanted was some platforming stages and a few more cutscenes. This hurts. Literally the only difference between adventure and spirits is that you move on a map. Wtf?
Well, that tweet wasn't posted by Sakurai, so I don't know how credible that is.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, just uninteresting. I'll probably enjoy collecting them, but other than that, the sounds boring to me. Who knows though, I might like it when I try it.

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
How many Spirits might there be? I have counted 410+ we have seen (though my number my be off). I am guessing upwards on 500 in total. I do think more will be added even after launch and we may even land somewhere between 750-900 when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's also the possibility of seeing spirits that can only be used by specific fighters. Imagine if one of the spirits was exclusive to Bowser, and it changes him into a playable Giga Bowser for the whole entire match; the Final Smash would still be the same though, and he wouldn't be impervious to knockback.

The World of Light does introduce new bosses and returning bosses (like Galleom), so you can't really ignore the possibility of encountering a battle against Giga Bowser.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinion: the removal of platforming is an improvement over SSE. I played threw SSE recently and moving around just felt bad. Everyone was too slow, and platforming became really frustrating.

For a more modern example, imagine what it’s like when you first start out on smash run: you take forever to get anywhere and your jumps don’t always get you high enough to reach the platform you want to get to. Now imagine it’s like that for a 4 hour campaign and not just 30 seconds.

Yeah, I’m not gong to miss platforming at all.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I for one am gonna miss the platforming and stuff. I really hope they have some mode where you can do the kinda stuff you could in Smash Run, SSE, or Melee adventure mode where you can fight Nintendo enemies as you traverse through levels. If this is just glorified sticker + event matches then I don't know how hype I can actually be about it. At least the overworld map looks nice (reminds me of DKC3).

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Event mode with some sort of Gacha-RPG mechanics, and on top of that a worldmap with skilltrees? Sounds really weird, yet oddly charming. I like how they included many ways to level and use the spirits, as to not force you to only ever do ONE thing over and over - I really dislike "send picture of character on mission, they tell you how great their adventure were" types of mobile games like Shakes and Fidget or the likes, so it's cool that this is just one of many ways to level them up.

I think this is one of those modes that makes more sense once you play it, whether that's a positive or negative kind of making-sense will be up to the 7th of december.

The story mode will definetly be the first thing I play once the game releases, I wanna see this story!

Untouch

Smash Master
I didn't like Smash 4's events so I'm glad they're returning to something more like Melee with that.
They really didn't do a good job explaining it though, they should have also shown the WoL stuff too.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually pretty interested in Spirit Mode. I'm one of the ones who actually won't miss the SSE platforming. Looking back, it was definitely very clunky.

Also, it seems like Spirits mode might be the fastest way to unlock characters. So I'll definitely be playing through it to get everyone.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I have to be honest. It looks like a combination of the least fun parts of every singleplayer Smash so far combined into one, and the only thing I actually wanted that they kept was boss fights.

I'll probably play it a couple times, but I'm not sure I'll end up going through it completely.

I really just wanted any mode where I could fight Nintendo enemies like Adventure Mode/SSE on a console again, but I guess it'll never happen. I would have even been ecstatic with Smash Run ported with changes. Spirits just looks boring, sorry.

WaLuP

Smash Rookie
. I can see myself playing this but not that much. I feel like it might get old super fast. To the point where many people might not even touch it. But hey I don't mind.

Everlong

Smash Rookie
I think World of Light looks pretty cool, but not something I'll go back and play again once I finish it. It does look fun, though.
Spirits themselves look nice, although I don't think I'll actually use them a lot. I can't wait to collect them. That's going to be the best part.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Unpopular opinion: the removal of platforming is an improvement over SSE. I played threw SSE recently and moving around just felt bad. Everyone was too slow, and platforming became really frustrating.

For a more modern example, imagine what it’s like when you first start out on smash run: you take forever to get anywhere and your jumps don’t always get you high enough to reach the platform you want to get to. Now imagine it’s like that for a 4 hour campaign and not just 30 seconds.

Yeah, I’m not gong to miss platforming at all.
How do you make engaging stages with a slow character like Ganondorf? That is the problem.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm not sure what to think. My initial reaction was to be rather disappointed, as Spirits are seemingly just ways to power up your character, which is something I never really liked nor got the hang of in Smash 4. At first, it looked like this was just a coat of whitewash over that idea. I guess I was in a mood to be disappointed after the dis-inclusion of trophies and the reveal of the last two characters (nothing against the characters, its just a shame they were spoiled for us, and after hanging around here for a while, its hard not to want a few more). I really hope that the Spirits have trophy-like snippets of information about them, just to ease the pain of losing that particular hallmark.

As they went into the details about the fights you have to do to get them, I was a little more interested. I love event matches, and the thought that there would be fights like that to commemorate various characters was cool. I loved the ones they showed, and despite not containing the actual characters they had some of their personality shine through. I'm also glad to see assist trophies will have a role, I see them so rarely in regular Smash, so it will be nice to see a place where they shine.

The hints of adventure mode showed at the end also did a little to ameliorate my feelings. The CGI opening was great (although I doubt we'll see much more of that, sadly) and what was shown of the overworld map was nice. I'm still a bit disappointed there will be no Smash Run inspired Adventure Mode, which is something I've been wanting for a long time, but I can't let that get in the way of trying something new.

So, in the end, I don't have much love for the Spirit items in and of themselves, as I don't really care about powering up my characters, but some of the elements surrounding them, like the fights to get them and the Adventure Mode, are at least a little appealing. My final judgment will ultimately have to wait until I get the game, of course. We'll see what they add up to when I finally get my hands on them.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
The whole Spirits aspect seems like a mash of events mode and smash tour/run. Wasn't really feeling it until I saw World of Light, which looks pretty rad.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm referring to the boss from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Below is Galleom's artwork from Brawl, just in case you're curious.

Galleom was a fun boss, and its theme was also great. I have Boss Battle Song 1 at the highest point for Battlefield. It's by far my favorite SSB theme because of how energetic it is. It gets me going. I also enjoy Battlefield. It's my favorite stage in the series with Final Destination in second place.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Galleom was a fun boss, and its theme was also great. I have Boss Battle Song 1 at the highest point for Battlefield. It's by far my favorite SSB theme because of how energetic it is. It gets me going. I also enjoy Battlefield. It's my favorite stage in the series with Final Destination in second place.
Personally, while I have nothing against Boss Battle Song 1, I felt it was best used for boss fights, and was out of place anywhere else. Sadly, the only notable bosses in Smash 3DS / Wii U were Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core; all of which have their own BGM tracks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Personally, while I have nothing against Boss Battle Song 1, I felt it was best used for boss fights, and was out of place anywhere else. Sadly, the only notable bosses in Smash 3DS / Wii U were Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core; all of which have their own BGM tracks.
It's all good. I won't judge your preference. There are quite a number of other great tunes. I've never played Tomodachi Life, but I really like that theme. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It kind of reminds me of Captain Disillusion on YouTube. (He's got great music and content, too. :))

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I really like the “evil” skins of the fighters. I hope there’s a way to unlock them. Maybe beat every level of the campaign using that character? It would be a lot of work, but I would definitely do it for a few.

Edit to avoid double post:
How do you make engaging stages with a slow character like Ganondorf? That is the problem.
If they do the stage design well enough, the fun would be in using your character’s strengths complete the challenge in a unique way.

Take that “floor is lava” stamina stage for example. Villager can just Up-B to avoid the floor. Ganon needs to make sure his Up-B connects with the opponent so he can use it again. Little Mac needs to Side-B, Up-B, ledge grab and ledge roll on repeat and use counter if the opponent tries to knock him off stage.

It’s possible that they’ll mess it up, but I have hope that this will be a fun mode that forces you to think creatively on how to use your character to overcome the challenge.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
How many Spirits might there be? I have counted 310 we have seen (though my number my be off). I am guessing upwards on 500 in total. I do think more will be added even after launch and we may even land somewhere between 750-900 when all is said and done.
Sakurai: "For the bulk of single player content, we've created 500+ event matches."
Fandom: "That the hell this is so disappointing."

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
https://mobile.twitter.com/aevanko/status/1058013060319784962?s=21

According to this, world of light is ONLY battles, no platforming stages and no story/cutscenes outside of the opening cinematic.

My hype just died again. All I wanted was some platforming stages and a few more cutscenes. This hurts. Literally the only difference between adventure and spirits is that you move on a map. Wtf?
Well looks like Ultimate is shaping up to having the worst adventure mode. I’ll most likely still play it a lot though and think of it as an expanded upon event match.

D

Deleted member

The RPG elements of World of Light with the skill trees and unlocking extra characters along with Spirits basically acting like Blades from XC2 gameplay wise is making me squee with joy. I'm very excited :)

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
So Sakurai recently showed off the menus of ultimate and from the video, we got a look at some more spirit battles.

spirit battles seem much more than just the roster with sticker attributes added on, seem like the computer behaviours even change to sort of reference the sprite as best as possible, the Nia spirit fighting with Incineroar is a great way to reference Nia's partnership with Dromarch being that there both big cats.

I'd have to have my hands on it a bit to truly decide on whether I'm down or not, but I'm definitely excited to see how many references Sakurai can make up with these things.

Khao

Smash Lord
I like it.

I am a bit dissapointed at the lack of platforming stages, which to me was the highest appeal of Adventure modes, and I was hoping for something a bit more replayable, and this really seems to be like the kind of thing you'll play through once, like SSE.

Buuuuuuuuut, what they've shown seems to be a great mode on it's own right, and I already think it looks better than any single player content in Sm4sh. I wasn't a huge fan of Sm4sh's events, they just didn't feel very inspired. These Spirit Fights though, are basically what event matches are at their best, and there's hundreds of them. The map is super appealing to me, especially if there's some form of puzzle solving scattered around the world. We'll also apparently be unlocking stuff on a skill-tree which is also fun, and it sounds like there's even map-related abilities, like the Lapras. Also, Boss Battles! And in any case, while the Adventure Mode itself doesn't seem to be very replayable, the other Spirit Content might be fun to jump into every now and then.

So yeah, definitely excited to try it out! It's not exactly the same "scope" as SSE, but it's still by far the most expansive single player mode we've ever had apart from it. Coupled with the Classic Mode, which really seems to be the best version of the mode yet, I'm actually looking forward to the single player in this game, which is more I could ever say about Sm4sh's, which was full of uninteresting modes I moved away from entirely once I just briefly tried them once.

Last edited:

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Well looks like Ultimate is shaping up to having the worst adventure mode. I’ll most likely still play it a lot though and think of it as an expanded upon event match.
I was just watching gamexplains video of Sakurai going over the menu and apparently there’s a video section that specifically says adventure mode cutscenes, so there’s probably more cutscenes!

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
Sakurai: "For the bulk of single player content, we've created 500+ event matches."
Fandom: "That the hell this is so disappointing."
Yep. I bet people will say that.
While I bet a significant number of the spirits will come just from summons and 'enchanceable' spirits rather than event matches, I certainly think we will see a couple hundred unique matches. Plus, I have to guess the DLC characters may bring new spirits and small World of Light expansions.

Though a see and admire your humor there, if anyone has actually said that, they should shut up. lol

DarkGeekRocker

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW120937775203
combining Equipment, trophies, and event battles, add a dash of online competition and mobile game cheese, and you have spirits mode...love it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thoughts? Why combine good elements of Smash's single player, like Adventure Mode, Event Matches, collecting trophies and equipment and mix it all togheter in something this.. underwhelming? Even if it has boss battles, it just looks boring, and a hassle to complete. I doubt it'll have much of a story, doubt it will be much fun, doubt it'll be effective in unlocking characters or just about anything. It's seemingly just.. there. And I could really do without it. Even Smash Run looks better. There won't be nothing but Event Match-expies with "unique victory conditions" and fighting AT characters. Doubt it will actually reward you with anything honestly. I am definitely not impressed.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
OK so I don’t think it’s even a bad mode. But it added nothing more of value for me tha previous modes already had to offer. I’m not going to train the spirits and IM never going to use them. It just seems like a needless timesink just for a few stat boosts or starting a match with an item. Like it’s just a method for optimizing your damage output, I don’t need that.
I’m just going to stockpile Lanky Kongs for ****s and giggles.

Last edited:

An Archie

Smash Cadet
I think we maybe shouldn't judge this mode, considering we have never played it.

I could take or leave the custom equipment stuff ( I hated that in Smash 4), but the "event matches" to unlock the spirits are so cool and interesting! I am genuinely excited to see what kind of battles they can think of based on specific spirits.

We literally no next to nothing about World of Light, and we're probably not going to learn about it before launch either. I think it looks fun and has potential though, and I agree that the apparent removal of platforming sections is a GOOD thing (seriously, that was the worst part of SSE).

Basically, don't decide that you dislike this mode BEFORE you've even tried it! Keep your expectations in check and you might be surprised.

fewmets

Smash Rookie
I think people are mistaking a lack of cutscenes for a lack of story. Cutscenes are nifty and all but they are far from the only way to get across a story of growth and character progression.

You're talking about a game where the main cast originates from games that get across story not just without cutscenes but also without any dialogue either. Games like Mario, Metroid, Kirby's Dream Land, and Donkey Kong were all games that got their stories across via the game elements themselves. We've already seen that there is some degree of progression in how the game unfolds with certain areas being gated off by stickers (needing Pokemon trainer to get to the Lapras island) and bosses. The Master Hand in one part being animated on the map looking like a bridge or boss battle. While I can see people being disappointed with the lack of cinematics I think you should really wait before being disappointed at a lack of story.

Even in terms of game progression I think you need to consider how you start in World of Light. I see a lot of people saying you should start with Mario, and if this was the Mario from the games I could understand, but he's really not. Mario in the context of Smash is a more advanced character. He has moves like the cape that are entirely technical, doing no damage. On the other hand Kirby is the simplest most cookie cutter of characters. He has simplified tilts and smashes mooves that are pretty straight forward, he has special moves that are simple attacks in that direction, with his up special being the stereotypical "vertical recovery" and his overall recovery being pretty good with his floating. With typical game design you'd see characters Mario being unlocked soon after and characters like G&W and Mega Man who are *very* technical being unlocked towards the end. This has the potential to be a really strong point. There's no real good basic starting characters other than Kirby. Everyone else has more technically oriented gimmicks, while Kirby's only real technical gimmick is his neutral B which just gives him other neutral B's, helping to introduce other characters in the process.

From a game design perspective the platforming parts of the games have been the weakest, creating a situation where a lot of the characters, anyone on the slower or heavier side, can feel frustratingly unresponsive to play. They are a part of Smash history and I am sad they're gone, but I can totally understand trying to streamline things.

Ultimately I think people should hold their conclusions until we actually get to play the mode because while it could be a total flop it could also be an even stronger story that SSE.

D

Deleted member

Better than Smash Tour.

At least i can do stuff with Spirits.

Top Bottom