• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the tournament rules concerning pausing during a match?

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Say you are playing and you grab your opponent and ad mist them trying to break free of the grab they pause the game, what are the penalties?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I think now it is 2 stocks, because you could still kill them with pausing and you are at 300%, it is not to much of a problem for you...

Most players just forfiet the match as he said..

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
The rule is no pausing. Sometimes you have to though, maybe for a cell call or to reset your controller, in which case you ask and hopefully your opponent isn't a douche. Similarly, people accidentally pause when taking a stock in teams, or when trying to escape from a grab. Both are accidents, and neither are cause for punishment.

The only time pausing should result in punishment (losing the stock, match, set, or tournament) is when it's intentional & malicious, with the degree determining the punishment. In all the tournaments I've been to, I've never seen anyone pause intentionally, and I've never seen anyone get punished for pausing accidentally. In friendlies I see people pausing when they are being wobbled or recovering, but that's about it, and it's mostly for humor's sake.

So: As long as you don't think they're intentionally or maliciously pausing, then nothing should come of an accidental pause unless you're a douche or it was a really critical moment (in which case you cry and people determine if they should re-match or lose that match, usually).

Roman.

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone really pauses intentionally cause no one can really use it time and time again. You should just have to lose the stock in singles and 2 in teams if it is obviously intentional. Btw I've only seen people pause trying to take a team-mates stock, it's probobly intentional if you pause trying to get out of a grab.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Could you just turn pause "off", or is that legal?
It's not worth it, because then whenever someone is playing a friendly on that TV or otherwise is required to quit out to make way for a tournament match, they have to all SD or physically reset the gamecube. Furthermore, it doesn't allow for when people NEED to pause, like to reset their controller. So long story short, it's a bad idea to try that.

alucard1201

Smash Rookie
wouldent they take off pause in the custom rules?? cuz u can do that in the settings, u can make it so u cant pause at all

BishopTS

Smash Cadet
It's not worth it, because then whenever someone is playing a friendly on that TV or otherwise is required to quit out to make way for a tournament match, they have to all SD or physically reset the gamecube. Furthermore, it doesn't allow for when people NEED to pause, like to reset their controller. So long story short, it's a bad idea to try that.

Read the posts next time.

Spot

Smash Cadet
What my friends and I do whenever someone pauses (whether it was by accident, or to sneeze) is count down from three before we unpause because that way, no one's timing is messed up.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
what should be done if your opponent pauses the game and takes a deep breath?
Wait till he unpauses and then unplug his controller :p

That video vs ness was tooo funny.

Read the posts next time.
He did, and he gave a pretty good and detailed response to the question which is how I know he read the post. I think you should take your own advice... hm? ;)

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
I think your thinking about a different guy, Tynga. I THINK that BishopTS was talking about alucard1201, whos question was indeed asked already.

And that ness video was absolutely evil :p. Was it a friendly?

Top Bottom