• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the chances we'll get a second Fighter Pass?

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I may be putting the cart a bit before the horse here, but what can I say? I love Smash, and, IMO, more characters will always be better.

So, what do you think the chances are for another year of DLC in 2020? For me, I think it's about 70/30. I think it will depend a great deal on how well this round of DLC does. But if the game does well and the DLC is well received, I can see at least one more year of updates happening.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I could see maybe not another pass, but certainly maybe a couple more fighters in 2020. Sakurai is more than welcome to prove me wrong though and deliver another 5/5/?? for characters/stages/music for 2020 =P

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling it'll happen, at least with one more set of 5 or so. I think if the first five was a more closed-off decision, hopefully the second five will focus more on interests as of 2019 and maybe even involve another ballot?? Regardless I could see more DLC after this especially because I think they'd want this Smash to last a while.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I honestly think that Sakurai is going to step away after the five DLC fighters are released, and once he does that, I imagine Nintendo will stop supporting the game as well. While his joke about taking a break was obviously done as a laugh for his constant involvement, I do think it holds true that he doesn't just want to work on one game indefinitely. He's basically worked on Smash constantly since production of Smash 4 started in early 2012, and that'll have been almost 8 years by the time the DLC cycle finishes. He's going to want to move on to something else I imagine, and when Sakurai goes, I don't think Nintendo has the heart or even proper preparation to deal with his departure. He's too integral to the games at this point.

So, no, I think Sakurai leaves and they pursue other ventures at that point. A second season of fighters would make a lot of business sense, but I just don't see Sakurai sticking around for something like that. And if they're planning to have these characters release over the next year and a half almost, that'll support the game for plenty long enough I imagine.

I do think we'll see a little bit of content outside of the fighter pass. I could see them throwing in a stage or two extra, perhaps even deciding to include a new Echo fighter down the line just as they come up with things. They worked hard on DLC for Smash 4 and certainly went beyond the fighters with a handful of stage DLC. I know people want Pac-Maze back for example, so reworking that to include in the game could happen for example. Maybe even after this game's hype cycle we see them give an Echo out like Impa or even allow Shadow the proper upgrade from assist trophy as one. It's not guaranteed, but I do think it would make sense to see a little something extra.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
At least good, but it's too early to tell.

By the 4th DLC character or so of the 5 in this pack we should be able to tell.

But currently I would say a 2nd DLC season or just DLC not in a season is quite a bit more likely than not. I wouldn't bet on it though.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think it’s definitely possible. If the first fighter pass makes them a lot of money(which of course it will), they might be more inclined to make a second one.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'd love a second fighters pass, but Sakurai needs a break. He might release a couple random DLC characters here and there outside of the fighters pass, but the chances of a second one as of now are pretty slim. Maybe a year or two after the first one is done.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
They're not gonna do another Fighter Pass. There's a 74.82% chance Sakurai will retire from Smash Bros.

The percentage is how much Smash damage Sakurai has taken from making Smash games.

Last edited:

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think something you all should consider is that Nintendo could do a Season 2 or whatnot without Sakuri. I think Nintendo sees the value of paid DLC, so if Season 1 does well, I think Season 2 will follow.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got more than the five + Piranha Plant. I also wouldn't be surprised if that was it. After my convictions that the ESRB Leak was fake and that the Grinch leak was real, I doubt my own judgment too much lol

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think it's fairly likely, but we might not see it for quite a while.

They did something similar with Mario Kart 8, so I think it's safe to say that they're no stranger to multiple season passes.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would like to see a second pass, but I don't think it's too likely. Nintendo doesn't seem to do prolonged DLC plans and usually gets everything out as early as possible (ie first year or two of the game) and then leave it at that. I don't really think we'll be seeing much, if anything, after 2020.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see a second pass, but I don't think it's too likely. Nintendo doesn't seem to do prolonged DLC plans and usually gets everything out as early as possible (ie first year or two of the game) and then leave it at that. I don't really think we'll be seeing much, if anything, after 2020.
I dont know if that will be the case of Smash... Specially because I dont see another Nintendo console or Smash version for at least 10 years from now. If they want to make this game least, they NEED to add more content, like in Overwatch or Rainbow Six Siege, that they never stop adding more maps or characters at a constant rate since the release date.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I think we might get a smaller second wave, like with 3 new fighters, and maybe some echoes here and there. But yeah I think Sakurai is largely done with Smash.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
From the sound of things, Nintendo picked out the character additions for the first pass, so maybe it comes down to them at the end of the day and how profitable they think these updates would be. Then again, Sakurai could probably just say no if he feels he's done making this game, and the development contract only covers this single fighter pass. I think that if it's the former scenario, then the only way we'll see a second expansion of characters is if this game really takes off in terms of esports. And if it's the latter scenario, I think it's generally unlikely since Sakurai is clearly not a fan of DLC and hates the idea of Ultimate not having been "finished" upon release.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A non zero percent chance. Given that so many people are going to end up disappointed, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai continued DLC with a wave/season 2 with 5 or even more new packs. It just seems silly that they would discontinue Ultimate less than halfway through the Switch's life.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't think there will be a Season 2. Have you noticed how the planned DLC for Ultimate is about the same length as Smash Wii U/3DS' DLC run? Whoever's not planned for DLC will have to wait for development of the next Smash game.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't think there will be a Season 2. Have you noticed how the planned DLC for Ultimate is about the same length as Smash Wii U/3DS' DLC run? Whoever's not planned for DLC will have to wait for development of the next Smash game.
Um... that game had the misfortune of being on the Wii U, plus all the DLC developed for it was developed for two games at once, increasing the workload for the DLC team. I highly doubt that the amount of DLC Smash 4 got is going to be equal to or greater than the amount of DLC Smash Ultimate gets.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Um... that game had the misfortune of being on the Wii U, plus all the DLC developed for it was developed for two games at once, increasing the workload for the DLC team. I highly doubt that the amount of DLC Smash 4 got is going to be equal to or greater than the amount of DLC Smash Ultimate gets.
Pretty much

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd say minimal. However, we may get some echoes or stages. That would be nice.

Top Bottom