• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about Paper Mario?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
http://sotss.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.php?game=pm&page=prerelease
Go to Super Mario RPG 2 in red, and click the hyperlink.

What kind of branch is that?
"Officially, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars does not have a direct sequel, especially in terms of a sequel based on the original game's plot. Considering to be its "spiritual" and thematic successors, two successive RPG-themed Mario series, the Paper Mario series and the Mario & Luigi series, followed certain conventions established in the original. For example, the use of "Flower Points" instead of Magic Points, timed action commands during battles, and the collection of the seven stars. In fact, Nintendo originally titled Paper Mario as Super Mario RPG 2.[25] Square's involvement in the original game made direct sequels legally impossible without Square's permission, involvement, or both, so Nintendo changed the title to Paper Mario[26]. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga did feature the Geno doll,[27][28] with "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Character "Geno", reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD." in the end credits.[29][30]

Some of the game's team members, including some from Square, went on to work on the Mario & Luigi series. These developers include the two directors Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka, as well as music composer Yoko Shimomura. However, they provided different styles and mechanics than those of Super Mario RPG."

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
"Officially, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars does not have a direct sequel, especially in terms of a sequel based on the original game's plot. Considering to be its "spiritual" and thematic successors, two successive RPG-themed Mario series, the Paper Mario series and the Mario & Luigi series, followed certain conventions established in the original. For example, the use of "Flower Points" instead of Magic Points, timed action commands during battles, and the collection of the seven stars. In fact, Nintendo originally titled Paper Mario as Super Mario RPG 2.[25] Square's involvement in the original game made direct sequels legally impossible without Square's permission, involvement, or both, so Nintendo changed the title to Paper Mario[26]. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga did feature the Geno doll,[27][28] with "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Character "Geno", reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD." in the end credits.[29][30]

Some of the game's team members, including some from Square, went on to work on the Mario & Luigi series. These developers include the two directors Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka, as well as music composer Yoko Shimomura. However, they provided different styles and mechanics than those of Super Mario RPG."

It's a branch that's restricted by SE, which doesn't matter. It's meant to be a direct sequel anyways.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
You don't get that Paper Mario is Mario or do you? Or do you do it just to piss people off?
Ever played the Seven Years Event? That's when said Young Link and said Link fight, this is where we assume that their ages are in seven years' difference, thus making them the same character. Stop making piss-poor excuses. Don't call me a Fifty Cent. I don't diss random people. Right now, you're pissing me off.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
idk Sakurai did say some characters were leaving, and it's the truth. having a same character in twice is a waste of spot no matter how much diverse moves it can have, the spot would be better suited for a different character.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's a branch that's restricted by SE, which doesn't matter. It's meant to be a direct sequel anyways.
Meant to be, but it's isn't. You got to know the fact that SMRPG is a game with no actual direct sequel, which rules out Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi being them.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
So you admit its a branch? Notice the above statemens even say its not the direct sequel? Notice how it even said SPRITIUAL?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Because they were clones. Paper Mario would have the fireball, and drastically different moves.
Mario has the "fireball". Mario RPG Mario also has the "fireball" and also the big "fireball". That doesn't make Paper Mario unique.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Mario has the "fireball". Mario RPG Mario also has the "fireball" and also the big "fireball". That doesn't make Paper Mario unique.
You could give Mario the hammer, the groundpound, the flips etc. And he is still Mario.

NukeA6

Smash Master
You could give Mario the hammer, the groundpound, the flips etc. And he is still Mario.
And you can give Link a fire rod, a big ball and chain, the Megaton Hammer, and Silver Arrows. He is still Link.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I wasn't qouting myself I was qouting the guy with the metroid avatar.

How does FLUDD disprrove fireball? You don't make sense.
...You're joking right? That's his replaced smash attack for fireball. Even look it up. You intentionally disregard the facts just to make an arguement. A true von Karma.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
...You're joking right? That's his replaced smash attack for fireball. Even look it up. You intentionally disregard the facts just to make an arguement. A true von Karma.
Im not sure if you're right on that, Nuke is this true?

<Down Special Move: F.L.U.D.D.>

Seeing as its his B-DOWN special dont think the fireball is out and reguardless, Paper Mario doesn't have fireball powers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you oppose Paper Mario, you MUST oppose Geno too, right? I mean, Paper Mario IS the continuation of Geno's game along with Superstar Saga. I saw on a site with the Japanese version saying that the Paper Mario thing had a "2" The Superstar Saga sequel thing is just pure conjecture, though. Anyways, opposing Geno means you oppose Paper Mario.
There's really no proof that Paper Mario is a direct sequel of SMRPG though. Nothing from SMRPG is really involved in Paper Mario except for some of the basic concepts in the game like having to get Seven stars, timed hits, honey/maple syrup healing FP, etc. Storywise and character wise, however, there are not direct correlations besides the series staples like Mario and Peach.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I hope you took your medication this morning cuz he still has his fire smash and his fireball. You can even look at the screenshots in Smash Dojo.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
There's really no proof that Paper Mario is a direct sequel of SMRPG though. Nothing from SMRPG is really involved in Paper Mario except for some of the basic concepts in the game like having to get Seven stars, timed hits, honey/maple syrup healing FP, etc. Storywise and character wise, however, there are not direct correlations besides the series staples like Mario and Peach.
Brawl is a Nintendo game, not a Square Enix game. Nintendo looks at Paper Mario as the sequel of Super Mario RPG. I don't care if it's not legal, but from their POV it's technically the sequel.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Brawl is a Nintendo game, not a Square Enix game. Nintendo looks at Paper Mario as the sequel of Super Mario RPG. I don't care if it's not legal, but from their POV it's technically the sequel.
And what if we were to say that the BROS RPGS are sequels as well?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
They don't just look at Paper Mario, they look at all the RPGs of Mario. Besides, the one that made the greatest impact to keep the RPGs going is Geno reference, so I wouldn't be surprised if they added him and not Paper Mario because he's a different and unique character that kept them going, even if he wasn't feature in PM.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I hope you took your medication this morning cuz he still has his fire smash and his fireball. You can even look at the screenshots in Smash Dojo.
Whoops. My bad.
Its stuff that WW Link gets, even if you gave WW Link the mirror sheild or another weapon another link uses hes still Link.
Uhh Link wont get that. Paper Mario gets those moves, not Mario. To say such a thing, would be complete blasphemy. Why would Sakurai give Mario the ground pound if he himself does not get it? That's ridiculous conjecture.

Paper Mario is completely different from the main Mario series, it's just a branch. A branch that deserves representation. First to say Alt. gets kicked in the ***, much like those Wolf haters.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
They don't just look at Paper Mario, they look at all the RPGs of Mario. Besides, the one that made the greatest impact to keep the RPGs going is Geno reference, so I wouldn't be surprised if they added him and not Paper Mario because he's a different and unique character that kept them going, even if he wasn't feature in PM.
To not want Paper Mario and to want Geno is outrageous. They're from the same series, not to mention Paper Mario being the more important character.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Whoops. My bad.

Uhh Link wont get that. Paper Mario gets those moves, not Mario. To say such a thing, would be complete blasphemy. Why would Sakurai give Mario the ground pound if he himself does not get it? That's ridiculous conjecture.

Paper Mario is completely different from the main Mario series, it's just a branch. A branch that deserves representation. First to say Alt. gets kicked in the ***, much like those Wolf haters.
Who had those things first Mario? Or a him in paper?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
To not want Paper Mario and to want Geno is outrageous. They're from the same series, not to mention Paper Mario being the more important character.
Its opinion. Also Paper Mario IS MARIO only paper. Geno is different, hes not Mario.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah maybe the "spiritual sequel" but that doesn't change my arguement. Heck, if you want to go that route, Wrecking Crew is the direct sequel to Mario Bros and Link's Crossbow training is the direct sequel to Twilight Princess. See what I'm getting at?

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Yeah maybe the "spiritual sequel" but that doesn't change my arguement. Heck, if you want to go that route, Wrecking Crew is the direct sequel to Mario Bros and Link's Crossbow training is the direct sequel to Twilight Princess. See what I'm getting at?
No. They weren't intended. Paper Mario was intended to be the sequel, but had to be changed to avoid copyright issues. Unless those were, they aren't sequels at all.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
You are breaking my balls with this. Why do you need another Mario when you can have a completely different character coming in there instead? Paper Mario is important, but as you can see, we already have a Mario in Brawl, so there is no point putting in a Paper form of him since there is a Mario that represents ALL the Marios.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@ Biggie Smalls:

Before this arguement goes on any longer, I want you to do one thing: explain to us how Paper Mario isn't Mario paperfied. I want you to prove that the main characters are radically different, I want you to explain how his non paper abilities are radically different, and I want you to prove that the basic elements in the Paper Mario games are radically different from those seen in SMRPG and the Mario and Luigi games.

*grabs a lounge chair and looks at his watch*

I'll give you 30 minutes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No. They weren't intended. Paper Mario was intended to be the sequel, but had to be changed to avoid copyright issues. Unless those were, they aren't sequels at all.
Unless Square Soft (Enix) was on board at the beginning of that project then, no, it was not intended to be the direct sequel.

Also, that's exactly the point, they aren't sequels; they're spiritual sequels meaning that they contain elements from previous installements but are not true sequels. This is the exact situation with SMRPG and Paper Mario.

Top Bottom