• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about Paper Mario?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I just need to ask why people want him in. He's just another Mario. Give him a hammer, make him paper, give him cool abilities like turn into tube, it doesn't matter he's still Mario. I love playing his games but seriously I don't want to see another Mario clone, hell I even mained the doctor but according to the smash community he is not like for being a clone just like Pichu and Falco and Roy, but Falco is liked.

I can't understand your logic when you hated the Doc, but you want another Mario.

Oh and heres another point, we already have a 2D being! GAME AND WATCH!

So if you want Paper Mario fine, but just tell me why.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
they want him in because he can have a very unique moveset.
he wouldnt be a clone, but rather another version on him.
and thanks to melee, people hate the idea(plus there is only enough room for like 1-2 more mario reps at a estimate).

samgamereviews

Smash Cadet
I just need to ask why people want him in. He's just another Mario. Give him a hammer, make him paper, give him cool abilities like turn into tube, it doesn't matter he's still Mario. I love playing his games but seriously I don't want to see another Mario clone, hell I even mained the doctor but according to the smash community he is not like for being a clone just like Pichu and Falco and Roy, but Falco is liked.

I can't understand your logic when you hated the Doc, but you want another Mario.

Oh and heres another point, we already have a 2D being! GAME AND WATCH!

So if you want Paper Mario fine, but just tell me why.
I agree. While I do like Paper Mario (Even though the last game sucked,) I think that there should be one Mario. Luigi used to be a clone but not anymore. i think paper mario would make a good AT.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Mario himself is the most likely character to get a second version, since he is the most popular video game character out there. It'd only make sense. Paper Mario would be completely different moveset wise, and is drastically different from standard Mario as it is. Thus, he wouldn't be a clone in the slightest. And we alreay had 3-D characters, namely all of them. Having a second 2D one doesn't seem to be a problem. (That and Paper Mario uses his flat body for combat purposes, unlike G&W) Also, Paper Mario has represents a lot more than many other Mario character canidates, like Geno. >_>

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Mario himself is the most likely character to get a second version, since he is the most popular video game character out there. It'd only make sense. Paper Mario would be completely different moveset wise, and is drastically different from standard Mario as it is. Thus, he wouldn't be a clone in the slightest. And we alreay had 3-D characters, namely all of them. Having a second 2D one doesn't seem to be a problem. (That and Paper Mario uses his flat body for combat purposes, unlike G&W) Also, Paper Mario has represents a lot more than many other Mario character canidates, like Geno. >_>
Argument: He was only in two games, and he wasn't the main character in either.
Answer: Ice Climbers were in one game (two, including Melee). Anyone who has played SMRPG knows how important Geno is to the plot (one could argue that he is more important to the storyline than Mario). He was your guide in the game, because everyone else (except for Frogfucius) was clueless.
Mario- rescue Peach
Mallow-find his parents
Bowser-get back his castle
Peach-reunite with Mario
Geno-repair the Star Road
With that said, everyone except Geno achieves their main mission by the end of the game. Heck, Mario's the first one to achieve his. Also, after Mario finds the Star Piece, they visit Frogfucious, and he tells Mallow the truth about his past. From there, they continue on not to "beat the baddies" but to FIND MALLOW'S PARENTS AND PEACH. It's not until they meet Geno that the story really opens up and the Mario crew realizes they've got something big on their hands.

Mario is the main character because he is known, but really It's Geno's game.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario would make a cool and unique addition to Brawl, although would argue with that. And being a Paper Mario fan, I hope he makes it in.
People don't want him because he's just another version of Mario, which is true. But does that really matter, if he plays completly different than Mario himself. I mean it's a game, it's meant to play, the screen selection isn't there for show or to make it pretty, it's there to choose character so you can play the game.
Therefore, I find this arguement really stupid. The only problem with Melee, was that some characters were true clones, meaning they had the same moveset just al ittle different. And Luigi in melee is not a clone at all, he just has a few similarities from his brother. Besides that, he's a completly different character.

Oh, and people who are going to say "We could add another of Mario (FLUDD Mario), give him a completly different moveset, and it would still be the same.". True, but not entirely, because it's not the same as adding characters like Paper Mario or WW Link. Because they also have many other reasons why they should be in, just like Luigi.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We don't need ANOTHER version of a character already in Brawl...

Mario is suppose to represent the combine of Mario's throughout the ages to reflect 1 single Mario entity...

Who cares if Paper Mario would be a clone or not, he's still Mario

Enigma14

Smash Champion
We don't need ANOTHER version of a character already in Brawl...

Mario is suppose to represent the combine of Mario's throughout the ages to reflect 1 single Mario entity...

Who cares if Paper Mario would be a clone or not, he's still Mario
Exactly and the only reason I would want PM to be in if Waluigi is in and if Waluigi is in then WTF Sakurai?!

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Paper Mario WOULD be the best new rep for the Mario series....if there weren't two other, 100% unique and far more requested characters that will get in before him.

I speak, of course, of Geno and Bowser Jr.

I mean, come on. Geno's been mentioned five times by Sakurai, and Paper Mario has yet to even have his name come up.

I don't care if he can turn into a tube and a paper airplane. He's still just a flat Mario with a hammer, and he's an AT at best. For the sake of variety, I'd take Geno and Bowser Jr. any day. It's really not too far-fetched for them both to be in, anyway.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Paper Mario WOULD be the best new rep for the Mario series....if there weren't two other, 100% unique and far more requested characters that will get in before him.

I speak, of course, of Geno and Bowser Jr.

I mean, come on. Geno's been mentioned five times by Sakurai, and Paper Mario has yet to even have his name come up.

I don't care if he can turn into a tube and a paper airplane. He's still just a flat Mario with a hammer, and he's an AT at best. For the sake of variety, I'd take Geno and Bowser Jr. any day. It's really not too far-fetched for them both to be in, anyway.
That and Vivian was requested as a PC, one of Paper M. partners, it would be a great surprised if she topped all of them.

Vivian>Geno>Jr.>PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Waluig

But since Geno was more requested...

Geno>Vivian>Jr.>PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Waluigi

Only because Vivian and Geno were on the poll and the other 3 weren't

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I would only want him if WW Link was in.
That way we would have 2 cartoony characters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would only want him if WW Link was in.
That way we would have 2 cartoony characters.
...that are nothing more than alternate version of characters that are already in the game...

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
That and Vivian was requested as a PC, one of Paper M. partners, it would be a great surprised if she topped all of them.

Vivian>Geno>Jr.>PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Waluig

But since Geno was more requested...

Geno>Vivian>Jr.>PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Waluigi

Only because Vivian and Geno were on the poll and the other 3 weren't
What? That made no sense.

One word for you guys who say Mario will be another Mario clone: Hammer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What? That made no sense.

One word for you guys who say Mario will be another Mario clone: Hammer.
NO ONE SAID CLONE

He would be an ALTERNATE VERSION OF A CHARACTER ALREADY IN

also, paper mario isn't the ONLY mario that uses a hammer

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It seems like the people who want WW Link and Paper Mario are the ones who have gotten into gaming more recently, as in GCN days. Maybe N64, but if they did they only had a couple of games.

Same applies to those who say "Sonic sucks why him in Brawl?"

Paper Mario is not really the "Now" of Mario. If anything, Bowser Jr would best represent that, as he is in ALL of the Mario games now, at least the ones that mean anything. Paper Mario was in three games that were meant to be rip offs of Mario RPG.

There is a completely different argument against WW Link I posted in another thread. Really, it would be better if there was one thread for all of this "duplicate character" discussion with a poll :D

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Actually, they are not rip offs of Mario RPG, as they are their own games. They go into a completely different direction. But are the people who want Geno just people blinded by nostalgia with the inability to see that times have moved on since him and his one game.

And while the Ice Climbers were only in one game at the time (they've shown up a lot more now) they were the main characters of their game, and didn't detract from their own series. Geno has to many other competitors in the Mario series, many who deserve the spot more. Additionally, the ICs were added for originality. I don't know exactly what Geno could do that would be different from everyone else like the ICs were. =/

(And to say it's Geno's game is just screaming bias. It was Mario's)

WindSquirrel

Smash Apprentice
I really don't want to see him in. I mean serioously... regular Mario is popular enough. He doesn't need to be represented twice.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except that WW Link is actually a different person, PM is not...
He's the same person from an alternate timeline basically...same soul, different time-space dimension

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't have the same soul <_<

WW Link is much more childish then YLink even...

And actually, it's the same Space Dimension, just in a different timeframe.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Actually, they are not rip offs of Mario RPG, as they are their own games. They go into a completely different direction. But are the people who want Geno just people blinded by nostalgia with the inability to see that times have moved on since him and his one game.

And while the Ice Climbers were only in one game at the time (they've shown up a lot more now) they were the main characters of their game, and didn't detract from their own series. Geno has to many other competitors in the Mario series, many who deserve the spot more. Additionally, the ICs were added for originality. I don't know exactly what Geno could do that would be different from everyone else like the ICs were. =/

(And to say it's Geno's game is just screaming bias. It was Mario's)
Yes they arent rip offs but they do have have to do with SMRPG, Geno's appearance, timed hits? MP/FP/BP?

Also its not bias. Geno is the one who had to fix the road. Fact. IT IS his game. Mario only had to save Peach. He only went along because it was the right thing to do and he promised Bowser about his castle, but it was Geno who had to fix the road and gather the stars, the stars even sent him to do it himself, they didn't say go find Mario.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He doesn't have the same soul <_<

WW Link is much more childish then YLink even...

And actually, it's the same Space Dimension, just in a different timeframe.

Yes he does, all Links have the same soul

Soul doesn't make up their personality at all

and yes, canocally, TP and WW take place in different timeLINES (Alternate time-spaces)

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Yes he does, all Links have the same soul

Soul doesn't make up their personality at all

and yes, canocally, TP and WW take place in different timeLINES (Alternate time-spaces)
Link is always re-incarnated like Zelda and Ganon. SAME FREAKING LINK.

Maybe thats why his name is Link. So they make a connection or because they're the same person at different ages and timelines.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Link is always re-incarnated like Zelda and Ganon. SAME FREAKING LINK.

Maybe thats why his name is Link. So they make a connection or because they're the same person at different ages and timelines.
That's what I said, but after OoT, time-space is distorted creating 2 seperate timelines

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I really do not see the point of duplicate characters, no matter how unique their movesets are.
Thank you! Its because they're the same person no matter what, if Sakurai wanted Mario to have PM mario abilities he would have gaven them to Mario.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I really do not see the point of duplicate characters, no matter how unique their movesets are.
Ditto. A second version of an existing character is redundant no matter how you work their abilities. Besides, there are so many good options for characters in Brawl that not all of the truly unique individuals could possibly make it as-is, theres no need to give the deserving ones who would otherwise get in the boot just to give us a second Mario, Link, or whoever.

Zevox

Pieman0920

Smash Master
^ Meta_Sonic64, what happens when Charizard swims? What happens when Ivysaur's plants catch fire?

Yes they arent rip offs but they do have have to do with SMRPG, Geno's appearance, timed hits? MP/FP/BP?

Also its not bias. Geno is the one who had to fix the road. Fact. IT IS his game. Mario only had to save Peach. He only went along because it was the right thing to do and he promised Bowser about his castle, but it was Geno who had to fix the road and gather the stars, the stars even sent him to do it himself, they didn't say go find Mario.
I can't stress how wrong you are about this. It doesn't matter if the overall goal was this, and that Geno is the one who brought attention to it, it was still Mario's game. Mario helped everyone accomplish what they needed, not Geno. Mario was the character people were controlling, and couldn't take out of battle, not Geno. That's like saying that TP was Midna's game instead of Link's.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how so many people here are obssessed with the thoughts of having "the same character", when characters like Paper Mario and WW Link are very different, it's just that they are another version of the character. Although, I don't really see that as a big problem.
Of course, these kind of character would take the place of other totatly different characters. But does that mean they deserve a spot more than "another version of a character".

If Paper Mario wasn't even a game based on Mario, and was called Paper Vario (Don't mind the namejust an example:p) and was wearing Orange instead, but besides this the game would almost be the same. Could he now deserve a spot? At least think about this, and find the wrong in this.

Anyways, Paper Mario games and WW/PH game have been great for the nintendo series, and they don't deserve to be ignored like this. Sure, they can put them as an AT, but doing that just because there are another version is pretty stupid. And that's simply telling that the series is not important enough.
Although, the same can be said for games like Animal Crossing and Pikmin, which still hold questions on whether they have a playable character or not. So, it's really between AT or playable, because they need good representation.:dizzy:

I think they would make great and interesting characters. Althoguh Paper Mario would be kind of ackward, but...*looks at G&W*....yea. I do see them as playable and hope so too, it's just up to Sakurai's decision.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It's funny how so many people here are obssessed with the thoughts of having "the same character", when characters like Paper Mario and WW Link are very different, it's just that they are another version of the character. Although, I don't really see that as a big problem.
Of course, these kind of character would take the place of other totatly different characters. But does that mean they deserve a spot more than "another version of a character".

If Paper Mario wasn't even a game based on Mario, and was called Paper Vario (Don't mind the namejust an example:p) and was wearing Orange instead, but besides this the game would almost be the same. Could he now deserve a spot? At least think about this, and find the wrong in this.

Anyways, Paper Mario games and WW/PH game have been great for the nintendo series, and they don't deserve to be ignored like this. Sure, they can put them as an AT, but doing that just because there are another version is pretty stupid. And that's simply telling that the series is not important enough.
Although, the same can be said for games like Animal Crossing and Pikmin, which still hold questions on whether they have a playable character or not. So, it's really between AT or playable, because they need good representation.:dizzy:

I think they would make great and interesting characters. Althoguh Paper Mario would be kind of ackward, but...*looks at G&W*....yea. I do see them as playable and hope so too, it's just up to Sakurai's decision.
My thoughts exactly. :cool:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

What are you talking about...the main characters of their series ARE in Smash...Link and Mario...we don't need seperate version for every different style and game they are in

Yes, they can be different...so can anything. That's really not a good point

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
That whole Paper Vario would be a valid excuse if it were true, but it isn't. Sure a 2D guy in a suit would be awesome, but the 2D guy we are talking about is still Mario. It is set in the Mario Universe with Mario Characters even if the game is different.

The same goes for WW Link. It's still Link because it is set in the same universe with the same Legend of Zelda characters. Why should Mario get in twice while perfectly good characters like Geno and Bowser Jr. have to get knocked down a peg?

And don't say that Bowser Jr. and Bowser would be clones because they aren't the same people, and are completely unique from each other. Paper Mario and Mario are still well known for their jumping skills and are basically the same person except one Mario was made with a reduced budget.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
That whole Paper Vario would be a valid excuse if it were true, but it isn't. Sure a 2D guy in a suit would be awesome, but the 2D guy we are talking about is still Mario. It is set in the Mario Universe with Mario Characters even if the game is different.

The same goes for WW Link. It's still Link because it is set in the same universe with the same Legend of Zelda characters. Why should Mario get in twice while perfectly good characters like Geno and Bowser Jr. have to get knocked down a peg?

And don't say that Bowser Jr. and Bowser would be clones because they aren't the same people, and are completely unique from each other. Paper Mario and Mario are still well known for their jumping skills and are basically the same person except one Mario was made with a reduced budget.
Paper Mario and Mario are different characters, but there the same person. So there (almost) as much different as Bowser is different to Bowser Jr. You really need to think outside the lines to understand this That means stop thinking he is another plumber suited jumping guy, and start thinking else where.

It seems like many people who rejects to this idea are afraid that their favorite characters (or people they think are deserving) are not gonna make it because of them. Mind you, the roster could go up to 40, and theyre not that much "deserving characters" to choose from, so I wouldn't worry about characters like Geno or Bowser Jr. not getting in (Especially Geno:p).

But yea, you guys are right. Paper Mario is just another Mario, but he would be a great and very unique playable character, just not a very unique representation. Some people need to think more about the game itself than the screen selection.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's a point I brought up in another thread:

"I just got back from work and while I was there, I thought of something regarding Paper Mario. I know the arguement is over with but I think I came up with a rather interesting point: having Mario and Paper Mario playable would be like having Megaman and Megaman X playable. People argue that the few differences between Paper Mario and Mario are significant enough but are they really? Let's compare Megaman and Megaman X:

1. They both have different character designs.
2. Megaman can slide while X can dash.
3. X can power up his special attacks while Megaman can't.
4. X can upgrade his armor, Megaman can't really (unless you count the Rush suit from Megaman 6 and 7).
5. They both have different allies.

Now let's talk about what's the same:

1. They both attack in a similar fashion including the basic buster attack.
2. They both play the same roles in their respective titles (Megaman: defeat Wily's robots, X: defeat the Mavericks)
3. They're both set in similar settings. (X's series is about 100 years after Megaman's and many of the main characters are connected to those in the original series. )
4. They both had the same creator, Dr. Thomas Light.
5. They have many obvious similarities when it comes to their character design.

When you look at it this way, would you say that there are enough differences between Megaman and Megaman X to entitle them to both be playable in the same game? If not, why are Mario and Paper Mario any different? Heck, if you really want to expand this arguement, bring Megaman EXE into the comparison too. Megaman's games are basically platformers while EXE's are similar to RPGs. Hmmm, now why does that sound familar..."

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Paper mario is still Mario, I don't think he should be playable, they should get someone completly unique from the paper mario games like Vivian or another partner.

My views are the same for wwLink, Midna or Vaati would be more deserving to take the loz spots in brawl

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
It seems like the people who want WW Link and Paper Mario are the ones who have gotten into gaming more recently, as in GCN days. Maybe N64, but if they did they only had a couple of games.

Same applies to those who say "Sonic sucks why him in Brawl?"

Paper Mario is not really the "Now" of Mario. If anything, Bowser Jr would best represent that, as he is in ALL of the Mario games now, at least the ones that mean anything. Paper Mario was in three games that were meant to be rip offs of Mario RPG.

There is a completely different argument against WW Link I posted in another thread. Really, it would be better if there was one thread for all of this "duplicate character" discussion with a poll :D
^ This.

If there's two new Mario characters, they'll choose Geno to represent the RPGs and Bowser Jr. to represent the newer games. Paper Mario's at the bottom of the character barrel here, and I'll be very suprised if they dump either of the above for his sake.

Doll with guns for arms and bratty reptile with paintbrush>>>>>>>>>>Flat Mario with a hammer.

Top Bottom