• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western New York Upcoming Tournies/Smashfests

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace

Geneseo is about an hour away... something more reasonable and random would help ;) I can't really wait around for fests, it gets me bored. I need it to be like "we'z doing it this day" (some day soon) and blam it's done :)

Jk bout teh pic btw

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
tourney, i guess...

Hey guys, sorry to make this so last-minute, but there's apparently a tourney this Friday at SUNY Geneseo, if any of you are interested. It's gonna be at the College Union at 8PM, and it's gonna end at 2AM, so there's gonna be mad time for maybe more than one set-up. If any of you out there are interested, and wanna know how to get there exactly, just pm me or drop me an im...

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
Holy ****! Now that's what I'm talking about! SUNY Geneseo is like an hour north of me I think. How many people will be there? IM me, I live in Wellsville. AIM: Khimster

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
eh yo...

Yo Greta, if you're interested in coming, I can give you directions. If you're coming from south of us, then just take I-390N, going in the direction of Rochester, and get off at exit 7 or 8 ( I don't remember which is the very first exit for Geneseo; get off at the very first Geneseo exit you see), and just follow the signs to get to the SUNY Geneseo campus. From there, you might wanna holla at the cell at 585-506-6361, and ask for Harvard (emphasize the name HARVARD and say that it's about the tourney) to get more specific directions to the College Union, which is where the tourney's gonna be held.

For anybody else that wants to come and don't know how, SUNY Geneseo's best accessible through I-390 either way, and just get off at the very first Geneseo exit you see. From there, just follow the directions to get to campus. And when you do, hit up the number to get more specific directions. I'll see ya'll there...

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
The good CF you played was Alexei (I guess he was from RIT) The good Link I believe was Don. Alexei played the kickass Falco (course I somehow beat him with CF, bwahah). Your Samus is good, man. Anyway....if MLG is October 9th, I definitely can't go. Especially since it's in Boston. I think it would be good to keep this thread updated with smashfests and such coming up wherever. Ehh...this post was supposed to be longer but I forgot most of what I was going to say.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
it's cool...

Hey sevenofcoins, it's cool that you can't come to MLG. But it would be nice if you can make an appearance at our l'il shindig going on this Friday. I know that it's last minute, but hopefully you can get yourself and some other RIT people to rep' RIT in the event. If you're down, I gave all the directions on previous posts, and there's the cell to call. If you can come, that would be very much appreciated...

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but I'm not going to be able to make it this friday...I promised one of my teachers I'd go to the concert of one of his older students....long story. Anyway, I'll probably (and will want to) be able to make it to the next "shindig" that you guys plan. I put your info in my first post I think. So yeah...by the way, any of these things I go to, if I get enough notice, I can bring a TV...it's pretty good sized, about 27 inches on the diagonal I think.

By the way, I'm separate from the RIT group; I'm still in high school, as are my friends that play smash. No worries though, just wanted to make sure you know I'm young and still my parents' *****

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
sienna guillory...

Hey Jill, I'm sorry that you couldn't make it to the RIT thing, but maybe you can try to show up to the tourney at SUNY Geneseo? I'd just like to get more out-of-campus representation at this tourney, and it sounds like you're from out of the campus, so it would be cool if you can show up. We'll hope to have adequate people coming, so you would be very welcomed to come to it.

PS. Hey sevenofcoins, I think you should change this topic to the "Official Rochester/Western NY Challenge Topic" or something, so it's not just the thread for last week's RIT event. But if you feel that you don't want to, that's ok too. After all, it is your topic...

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Meh, I say we make a new thread so new people wouldn't have to read through pages of irrelevant **** to find something useful.

I can't decide if I'll attend tomorrow or not. We'll see what happens.

-B

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
Oh tommaro is gen, well can't go to that, I can't beat everyone in my current battle group so I guess its no biggie.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
i got 2 words for you...

C'mon. C'mon!!! BBT, you gotta make an appearance, to help enlighten the smashers here on campus. If you do come, I'll repay you for the donuts and dew, trust me...

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
B, I think this topic is OK the way it is, but I'm going to update the first post with new information every time new stuff comes up, that way people won't have to sift through all that crap. I can also refer them to the page where people talk about the event in question, and whatnot. But if you want to create a new thread, that's cool too I guess. It's just that I like getting gil for every post in my thread...I don't play the RPG, but I like when people ask me for my gil because it makes me feel like I matter to somebody...*sniff* and when I choose who gets rich and who stays poor it makes me feel like GOD...mwaha.

Er...

Forget I said that.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
That tournament was fun, set up old school style using the game's tournament mode (I like :p) there were cool people there, just a cool little hangout thing they had going. I want to know who that Joe kid was because he got ****ing PISSED at me after everyone left, so pissed that he didn't want to play me anymore.... :laugh:

"You're annoying to play and you have to use that wavedash cheese to win, I don't do any of that crap competitively" --joe guy

Translated into:

"I found out that I'm not king-**** anymore and I'm getting my **** pushed in by someone with skill, I can't wavedash or do anything because I don't know how, but I'll play it off like I'm not gonna do it because I shouldn't have to do that to win"

So if you're getting stomped, how is that not competititive?

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman

Yo Matt, I feel you on your situation with Joe. There are times when people complain like that against me too, but I just shake it off, and give them comments like "it's part of the game" and "it's not that hard to do." See with me, I was playing that whole tourney by kinda handicapping myself by not whipping out advanced tactics that would've tipped the scales severely on my favor (very little wavedashing, walking a lot, no l-cancelling). You kinda did the same way by picking a low-tier character, and I thought that you did well. See, you just gotta have tolerance, as I did. I'm pretty sure that you showed him really advanced skills with high-tier characters, so with his low-skill play, he was completely unmatched, and had no other option but to complain. That's why I think every time I'm around those guys, I'm sticking to my messin'-around guys to even the playing field a little more. Trust me, if more people showed up, people from the boards that im-ed me and told me they would come, we definitely would've had a full display of potentials that nite. I'm sorry that the comp wasn't to your liking, and it's wasn't to mine either, but I learn to deal. I'm not back in NYC anymore, so I don't get to play hardcore with crazy-good guys like I used to, but the upstate competition will have to do. But yeah, it seemed like you and I were the only ones with significant grasps on advanced tourney strategies, and that was shocking to me. I didn't think that by taking it easy on them, I would still be one of the hardest players to go up against there. Oh wellz, I guess that's more incentive for everybody else to practice. I'm sorry that we didn't get to talk, Matt. The other people that promised to show, people from Buffalo, didn't, and I know them and show definite skill. If they showed up, we would've been able to team up and show them what tourney players can really do, but I'm sorry we failed to impress. If you're ever interested in coming down every now and then to smash, just holla' at me, and you'll be welcomed to some smashing. Until then, I'll talk to you all laterz...

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
It was still fun though, gave us something to do on a night we had nothing to do. I'll probably come up sometime, because after homework and class, there isn't much left to do around here. :)

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Dude, Strata Razor, you have to stop your blue text thing. I don't understand why someone would intentionally make their text unreadable, but you're doing it. I seriously cannot read your text unless I highlight it. You may as well
put a
tag around your
entire post.

-B

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
my bad...

Sorry about that, BBT. I usually like the color blue, so I change it like that. For you, I'll leave it at gray this time. Anywayz, Greta, if you wanna stop by sometime, we can smash it up, converse on tactics and what not. Anybody else who wants to stop by the G-Unit just needs to holla at this thread, and I'll guide you here...

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
When you have text, you want maximum contrast. Blue on dark gray has some of the worst contrast you can find. The letters all blur together. Perhaps you're using a different forum skin that makes the background something other than a dark grey, but for me it's heinously bad. Thanks for changing it, bro

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman

From now on, I'll be posting on this thread in the normal gray-colored font, to suit the needs of every reader on this thread. That's just my way of bumping this thread up, for those that would be interested in smashing it up in the Western NY area...

Tails576

Smash Rookie
specific

hi can i have the exact date and time of this tournament and what are the ages of people that are gonna be and how many people will be attending

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
to tailz...

Sorry, man, but this tourney already passed. If you're still interested, you can always come to the G-Unit anytime and smash it up on the campus. There's always places to play here, and you're always invited...

Tails576

Smash Rookie
tournaments

can u tell me like information about the g unit
also if u guys wanna have a big tournament in western new york the best place would be cyber jocks

there website is www.cyberjocks.com check it out

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
I checked the site, and it was a bit weird, cause I didn't find anything there specific about console tourneys. I mean, if you set up a tourney around Rochester, even though you guys are located near Buffalo, more people would be interested. Most of the Western NY Smashers are around the Rochester area, so you'd get more interest if you advertised in that area. And if a decent pot is up for grabs, you'll definitely see some intrigued parties...

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
i agree with strata razor, the site is pretty confusing so please be more concise about when and where the tournament will be held, thanks

Tails576

Smash Rookie
tournament

Well all you have to do is go on the site and email the head of it and ask him for a smash bros. tournament and give him all the info all people from around the world always go there for tournaments

Jill Valentine

Smash Apprentice
Hey Tails...you live around Cyberjocks?

I go there all the time, and as a matter of fact, I'm here right now.

If you wanna get something Smash wise going here just drop me an IM on AIM @ kmkdecay

Or PM me.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. If JV helps you set something up, and an actual tourney with money up for grabs is there, then you can count me in...

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
money doesnt matter to me really, im there for just to play different players and improve on my game. and if u do manage to get tourney around rochester or buffalo going, please have allow ppl to come early and practice a little bit.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
That totally sux. So if you're grounded, that means you don't have a car yet. And that means you can't drive to the G-Unit. ****. I guess for you guys to take part in a smashing event, it would have to be in the Roc or at B-Lo. Oh wellz, if something goes down, then I'm down with it as well...

Top Bottom