• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western New York Upcoming Tournies/Smashfests

Shiri

Smash Chump
Ho-Hum...

:beezo: It's getting closer....

:rolleyes: **throws Bob-ombs around the thread**

Oh yeah...when are we getting an update about the rules and other information?

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Good point, Greta. Then again, that sounds like love for your fellow man will never supercede the value of a Nintendo DS. What has this world come to? I hope my fighter for justice can prevail on that day, assuming I still get a ride...:D

Jill Valentine

Smash Apprentice
Ok, here are the official rules for the December 4th tourney.

PS: Don't complain to me, I didn't make the rules, I'm forwarding them right from the source to you guys. Don't complain to me either, as unfortunately I can't do anything about them.

With all that said, here they are:

The items that get banned are : Starmen, Cloaking Device, Food, Tomatoes, and Hearts.

Yes pokeballs can be game altering, and a bomb can fall on your head. Thats why you play five lives and get two shots per character. So even if a match is dead even and you get screwed on an item, you still have plenty of chances to stay in it.

Let's try and get all the rules here.

You choose two characters. One side items on, LOW, one side off. You can't choose the same character for both. Most likely the tournament will be broken into four TV's which will each play a 16-player tournament. Once you get one winner per screen, the rest goes on paper. The "Loser", or second chance bracket is chosen by where you finish in the winner's bracket.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
I've driven people to tournaments, then ending up placing under them and losing money that would otherwise be mine :( That'll never happen again.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Thank Yuu

:beezo: Rules, rules, rules! I love rules! I don't suppose there will be a team tourney. That would be fun. It doesn't even have to have a prize for the winner! Just a cheap trophy. Oh well. I'll just have to do well in Singles I suppose. :D

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
my mouth is watering in suspense!!lol. oh yea good news got my game back :D . i got one question about the loser bracket. what happens if u win it? do u face the winner of the winner's bracket or something?

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter, cause the only thing I'll have to worry about is if my game can get affected by items. Well, we'll see. I have fair confidence in my game, so I'll just keep doing what I do...

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
let's do the math, shall we?

low entry fee + ridiculous (in slang terms, ridiculous=good) prize = many people who think they can play smash and will drive 30 mins.-1 hour to get that prize

Greta's gonna be coming from farther, so he's gonna be one of the few. Competition's gonna be fierce, but it's safe to say that the weak will get weeded out early. I know how Greta plays, and don't be fooled by this guy, he's good, to say the least (sorry for blowin' up your spot, man, I know you'd do the same for me, even though I suck...:D ). And I'm just gonna assume that the rest are preppin' hardcore for this, so I think it's gonna be a great tourney, and I can't wait for this thing to go down...

Jill Valentine

Smash Apprentice
Time is unknown ( I will find out most likely after today as it is the holiday and all ) and same with the exact place in the school.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Oh, By The Way...

:beezo: Hey, guys. I was just wondering about character variety. You don't have to say who you're bringing if you don't want to, but I was just wondering...maybe it's just me, but I'm kinda tired of seeing Falco, Marth, and Sheik all the time. Hopefully we'll have a good mix.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, Shiri, for that to happen, you might have to set the example yourself if you want to see these results. Characters named Marth, Sheik, Peach, Fox and Falco will be showing up frequently, probably by the same player. Others will be making rare showings, especially with a $150+ prize and a $5 entry fee. People wanna win, and the same goes for you. They will use any means necessary to win, even though it will be repetitive for you to go up against Sheiks and Marths without end. I for one will have my secondary as one of those 5, but my main is not on that list. I have fun with my main, even though my friends fear my secondary more. I personally like characters not on that list, and if pushed to my last chance to win, I will use my main, and give people expecting one of those 5 a little bit of a surprise. Then again, they won't worry cause my main will be easier to beat than my secondary. At least, I'll be having fun if I lose, right? Sorry, but that's just the way the smash world works, my friend. Unless you're willing to set the example yourself, people will be hesitant to follow, especially if a DS is on the line. Well, if you guys beat my secondary, expect to have an easier time with my main, but I'll sure as **** have fun losing it if that's the case...: )

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm putting M2 away for the tournament (but not for exhibitions) You'll probably see me play CF, Fox, Falco, Roy (I'm willing to not play Marth). Strata RaZor, you don't suck, it was kinda lame how we had to fight on Onett. The low ceiling does help out. The people that think they're going to go and randomly win will be weeded out. It's guaranteed. I've heard that the UB crew is good. Smash is like billiards though, you don't know how good someone is until you play them. If it's on Saturday, then maybe we can get together and play on Friday (directed towards Strata).

Anebawk

Smash Rookie
Hey all, if there is anyone on the RIT campus that wants to smash at all, let me know, I'm free right now as a matter of fact, haha. But you can catch me on aim at CaptainNGC.

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
Anyone doing anything this coming Friday? Some smash practice/*** whoopin' would be kinda cool. Something to do before the tournament this Saturday. One more thing, it doesn't have to be BIG to go down. Far and between won't cut it. Geneseo, let's get some pre-tourney **** rolling

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Greta, man, I'd love to take you up on your offer, but $hit has come up in my life that just made my going to that tourney even more difficult. Now, I currently don't have a car to go to school upstate in (I'm currently home at NYC for Thanxgiving break), and I have to bum a ride just to get back to my campus. Since nobody has yet to offer me a ride to Buff. on that day, I don't know if I myself can make it now. On top of that, I appear to have obligations to my Little that day that people are expecting me to be at (I'm a member of BBBS [Big Brother/Big Sister]), so I may swamped that day. See, the world is completely against me right now. I'd love to go to that tourney and rep, but unless I overcome these obstacles, I guess I'll just have to let somebody else take that prize from me...

Shiri

Smash Chump
This is why...

:beezo: Restlessness is INVADING MY SOUL! TIME AND PLACE! Mini-Rawr-of-doom!

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
I gotta agree with Greta. He and I have been to some real hardcore tourneys in the past, and this one just lacks organization and publicizing. It's like as if you guys don't want non-Buffalo smashers to show up. I think you guys all know the smashers there, and you know who you can/can't beat. You wanna keep those weak smashers on the know so you'll take them out. But don't be mean and not disclose info here. If you're afraid of comp like Greta, say it instead of leading him on on tourneys with a good prize that will happen, just not to smashers outside of Buffalo. We're not afraid of you guys, and you shouldn't be of us, even though it definitely feels like somebody's fearin' outside comp...;)

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, its got nothing to do with me. I don't have the information. This might have something to do with the sketchy nature of the prize. These goods could be hot from what I'm told.

If you ask me you guys should be taking a different approach. Cutting deals with members of the club to get information so that you can in exchange for date and time you get the top screen, a d-pad, and start button. If you'd win that is...

There does seem to be noobery afoot. If its any consolation, I ph34r you.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Boops!

:beezo: I, for one, give up. It's really Wednesday and we don't even have a time. Just some sketchy rules and a date. If anyone ever gets details, I hope you go, have a good time, and do some damage. I'm trying not to be too critical, but everyone that was planning something kinda put their jump-off on hold just for this. Please be considerate of other smashers who are also putting together events. See you guys later. :cool:

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
booyakasha!!!!

Power to you, Greta. Go there, find that tourney, and take those mutherfockers to school. Show them how real smashin's all about. And when you nail that DS, stop by the G-Unit and flash me that prize. Represent for all hardcore tourney smashers outside of Buffalo, which would be the rest of the smash community...

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
I gotta bump this up so them fools at Buffalo won't forget about the DS that's about to get robbed from them...

Top Bottom