• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western New York Upcoming Tournies/Smashfests

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
lionheart1 said:
aight. remember wed nights at ub at 8 there are weekly tournies
-tim
Are these tournaments free to get into? Are there prizes or are they just friendly get togethers? I'd really appreciate it if you could inform me on how these weekly tournies work.

Also great tournament Shiri I had a blast, even though I now owe my dad roughly $50 for gas o_O

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
lionheart1 said:
free tournies. no prizes. just for experience pretty much and for ub rankings, which are usually jacked up anyways
-tim
OK thats good, Im a little low on cash so free is a nice term to hear. I'll make an effort to come one of these days although it is very hard for me since I'm still in high school.

D

Deleted member

you're all invited to my posh crib for some freestylin blingin smash

give me a few weeks notice and I can let you stay a few days no expense. Otherwise I can't take time off work so it's not really worth it.

I'll limit it to 5 people at a time. I can't afford to feed more people than that for 2-3 days at a time.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
UmbreonMow said:
you're all invited to my posh crib for some freestylin blingin smash

give me a few weeks notice and I can let you stay a few days no expense. Otherwise I can't take time off work so it's not really worth it.

I'll limit it to 5 people at a time. I can't afford to feed more people than that for 2-3 days at a time.
im down. ill give u a pm as time approaches to when i could go. thx though, i could use the extra practice before the ub big fall tourney
-tim

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I'm open to ideas here folks. Looks like our semester's end tournament will be Saturday December 3rd. Now the only catch is, we can't give away cash. Any suggestions for grand prizes? It's gonna cost 5 bucks to get in, and our prize range is as follows:

1st place $100-$150
2nd place $75
3rd, 4th $30-50
plus tons of our wacky fun door prizes.

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
Heh. No way. UB Rules will stay the same forever. You pick a character, you must be that character for the whole tournament. Character switching is unnecessary if you're good enough. Besides, you get two characters -- one for items on, one for items off. AND you have to lose twice with each before you're out completely.

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing. I think our rules are better than the standards. That's why we use them. Character switching is not necessary, best two out of three is also pretty redundant. Occasionally yes you do lose because of a "character mismatch" or someone gets lucky, but that's what makes our tournaments better. It's not always the most talented person that wins. You need a little luck, and you hope you're not in that tough of a bracket. It's not like some people are bound by the rules and others aren't: everyone has to play by the same rules.

D

Deleted member

the thing is your logic is flawed and your rules are are ****ing gay as ****

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
Well, considering you're not backing up with your arguments, you haven't really said anything. Just like the NFL playoffs there's no best out of three. If you lose you can't change your team because you don't like the matchup, you have to learn to play around it. Bottom line is if you don't like the rules you don't have to go. We're one of the most consistent groups around as far as giving out huge prizes. It isn't just "60 percent of whoever shows up". You pay 5 bucks to get in, and winner gets around $150 in some sort of prize. All in all we spend over 500 bucks in prizes for our tournaments. Yeah, we do things differently than most, but there's no reason that we're not just as good if not better.

D

Deleted member

I'll **** your entire community with Roy and you won't be able to switch. How pathetic.

Lame.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
UmbreonMow said:
I'll **** your entire community with Roy and you won't be able to switch. How pathetic.

Lame.
kyle its true. u know its just pointless to argue ub smash club rules on smashboards. it also really does not help when u pick fights with someone who would honestly four stock u with about any chara.
-tim

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean pointless? To this date nobody has ever been able to prove to me anything. Just because someone is better at me in smash doesn't mean they know more about tournaments than I do. I'm not "picking a fight", he says my rules are gay and that's supposed to be an argument? He's not saying anything. It'd be just like me saying that character changing is incredibly gay and then not saying anything else, and suddenly that's an amazing opinion. In fact if anything, I said I'm taking suggestions about what to get for prizes, not for our tournament rules. I said that I won't be changing the rules so don't bother debating them, and then you do Tim, and suddenly a person who's never even been to one of our tournaments does also. All I asked for was prize suggestions.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
UBSmashPrez said:
What do you mean pointless? To this date nobody has ever been able to prove to me anything. Just because someone is better at me in smash doesn't mean they know more about tournaments than I do. I'm not "picking a fight", he says my rules are gay and that's supposed to be an argument? He's not saying anything. It'd be just like me saying that character changing is incredibly gay and then not saying anything else, and suddenly that's an amazing opinion. In fact if anything, I said I'm taking suggestions about what to get for prizes, not for our tournament rules. I said that I won't be changing the rules so don't bother debating them, and then you do Tim, and suddenly a person who's never even been to one of our tournaments does also. All I asked for was prize suggestions.
Kyle, actually I gave you legitimate reasons on aim as to why the widely used standard rules are better than the rules commonly used at UB. People don't even feel comfortable in that kind of tournament setting, and making people feel at home is the first thing a tournament should try to do. New people coming in want to play with fair rules. They want to be outskilled, not out-gheyd. I've actually talked to multiple people who came to these tournaments for the first time. After they lost they were frustrated with their opponents' luck more than anything.

Apparently luck = skill when it comes to these rules. Items ON, mismatched characters, stupid stages and not being able to change the stage, 1 match with 3 stock. Experienced players play passive and try to get used to their opponents' styles in this short time frame, but it's hard with only 1 round and feeling clastrophobic from not being able to change character takes its toll too, so who wins these? The people who get lucky enough with their attack patterns and unintentionally counter the style of the person who's trying to get used to their attack pattern at the right times? Is this skill? No, it's luck, because it's impossible to intelligently come up with these patterns with no prior knowledge of the style that belongs to the person you're fighting against.

You should really stop the team attack OFF crap too, because some attack combinations just become too abusable; Peach Falco team in 2v2 is equivalent to a falcon with a shine and zelda kicks instead of knee and bair in 1v1. Some things are just too broken, so to create a healthy environment and prevent abusing of certain tactics or banning a character combination, it's best to put team attack ON.

Tim, he wasn't referring to you as the person who's never been to one of "those tournaments".
I said that I won't be changing the rules so don't bother debating them, and then you do Tim, and suddenly a person who's never even been to one of our tournaments does also
see? You + someone ALSO = both debating.

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
Mario Moonshine said:
Kyle, actually I gave you legitimate reasons on aim as to why the widely used standard rules are better than the rules commonly used at UB. People don't even feel comfortable in that kind of tournament setting, and making people feel at home is the first thing a tournament should try to do. New people coming in want to play with fair rules. They want to be outskilled, not out-gheyd. I've actually talked to multiple people who came to these tournaments for the first time. After they lost they were frustrated with their opponents' luck more than anything.

Apparently luck = skill when it comes to these rules. Items ON, mismatched characters, stupid stages and not being able to change the stage, 1 match with 3 stock. Experienced players play passive and try to get used to their opponents' styles in this short time frame, but it's hard with only 1 round and feeling clastrophobic from not being able to change character takes its toll too, so who wins these? The people who get lucky enough with their attack patterns and unintentionally counter the style of the person who's trying to get used to their attack pattern at the right times? Is this skill? No, it's luck, because it's impossible to intelligently come up with these patterns with no prior knowledge of the style that belongs to the person you're fighting against.

You should really stop the team attack OFF crap too, because some attack combinations just become too abusable; Peach Falco team in 2v2 is equivalent to a falcon with a shine and zelda kicks instead of knee and bair in 1v1. Some things are just too broken, so to create a healthy environment and prevent abusing of certain tactics or banning a character combination, it's best to put team attack ON.

Tim, he wasn't referring to you as the person who's never been to one of "those tournaments". see? You + someone ALSO = both debating.

The tournament you guys went to then was rushed and we had to finish in a 2 hour timeframe instead of our regular eight hours.

5 life stock first of all, gives you more of a chance to adapt to someone's style.
Yes, you dont get to play 2 out of three. That means if you get an uneven matchup, you might lose. Well, you have to lose like that four times before you're completely out. I think that's pretty fair.

Items are on for only one of the two brackets, and when it gets down to finals, they are off. Plus none of the items are really considered unfair, we turn off anything too unbalancing.

Stages are, the two people agree to a board (except temple) or go to a random neutral stage.

Some things I'm willing to make some compromises on... what items are considered fair, what levels are considered neutral... but I've also got a club to run. I have to design a tournament that gets good players to go, but I also have to convince the 80 percent of my club that has no shot of winning, that they need to come too. So that means I can't budge on not having best two of three with character switching (takes too long, complicates things for some of the noobs, and most of the club, and all four club officers wants it two unchangable characters, double elim, with 5 lives)

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
Can we at least have some standard rules when we get down to say mabye 16 people?

I like using some low tier characters on certain match ups. But I can't really ever play them if I have to commit to it completely.

D

Deleted member

I'll make sure to go to one of your tournaments then and abuse the **** out of your ****ing gay *** ****ty rules. We'll see if anyone other than tim gets a single stock off of me.

UBSmashPrez

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Valentine... looks like Saturday, december 3rd for our winter tourney. There's also the weekly wednesday night meetings (last week we had a 42-person tournament with six byes), but the only thing on the line is pride.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
hmm thats not a bad idea, i'll talk to the guys who run the smash club here and see if theyre interested

D

Deleted member

yeah that falcon was tight.

maybe the pretty princess will take the next WNY tournament? who knows, right?

AJiggaG

Smash Apprentice
that falcon is me. im still here. I didnt know this thread was here. JCaesar just told me about the tourney idea. Sounds like a good idea to me. We just have to talk to some people to plan it. But i dont think that many people would come. at least not anyone good except for you guys. Honestly me and JCaesar are the best here. There are some other kids comin up in the game but theryre not really on tourney level yet. Theres this one ics thats pretty good but I just showed him desyncing this summer. Also theres this other random guy that i only played once and he beat me with his peach. Hes pretty good but I dont know how to contact him. Anyway let me know if yall are interested.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
i recall shiri stating that there will probably be another roch. tourney next semester. i currently am looking for a place to run a tourney, but i have very little luck so far. pretty princess is garb :laugh: dirty samus is the ****, im takin the next one bk broiler style
-tim

Top Bottom