• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Coast Smash League

embracethe12

Smash Lord
hey leon, i found out how to spend your time between posts.
you know the blue arrows on quotes that lead to the original post?

start at one and see how big of a quote chain you can get.
my highest is 8 blue arrows.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If you like games where you have to have precise controls, why not play some shooters? I already proclaimed my love for Ikaruga and Psyvariar 2 elsewhere so let me recommend some others.

Einhänder (PS1). Dual-weapon customizable system. This game has a great techno soundtrack also, just overall a really stylish game.
Gradius V (PS2). Lots of Option trixies and strats.
Truxton aka Tatsujin (Genesis): More old-school type. Simple but creative levels and bosses.
UN Squadron (SNES): Awesome music, lots of weapons and planes, good difficulty level.
Super R-Type (SNES): Also really good music, really fuc
king hard, and you can do a lot of interesting tricks with your Force pod thingy.
Touhou Project (PC): http://www.doujinstyle.com/touhou.php "Danmaku" / bullet hell type shooter. If you're really into having precise controls this might be your speed.

Action games:
There are probably enough good/popular ones without getting into the obscure. If you're looking for Jak and Daxter type games, the first thing I would suggest is to go play Psychonauts, that game is nuts. I liked the Sly Cooper games as well. Ico is like an environmental puzzle/adventure game. I think it's amazing. The only "bad" things about it is that it could be considered "slow" because it's a puzzle game and you don't really have to do much actual fighting, but that's kind of what a puzzle game IS so I don't buy that criticism.

You could always go play NES Contra and try to beat it without the code. It's not really THAT hard + it's a nice feather to have in your cap. It's a good project for about a week. Also, Mario Lost Levels (aka SMB2 in Japan) on Super Mario All Stars. And I'm sure you have played the Katamari games by now, but if not then you need to do so before you play any other game I've mentioned. Unless you also haven't played Jet Set Radio, in which case THAT should be your first priority.

QFT, except the PS2 version is buggy and horrible.
That's too bad, I played it on DC and forever thought I had missed out on some bonus stuff or something on the PS2 version. I actually think Grandia Xtreme has a -slightly- better battle system, but everything else about Grandia II is better. Grandia is like the only game where I actually wanted to beat every enemy group in the dungeons, because each different combination of mobs requires a different strategy to deal with effectively, and it was actually fun to practice strats and do some trial-and-error.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Grandia Xtreme was pretty bad. Playing Grandia 2 made me try a lot of RPGs that have supposedly great battle systems to see if they ever compare to Grandia 2. They don't.

It's just a perfect battle system. It's kind of broken, but it's so much fun you don't care by the time you get to the broken part. The sound of special moves and the sound effects were AMAZING, too. Golden Hammer!

AME2

Smash Cadet
Wasn't there like a failed tourny going on sometime like in December in San Francisco?

And for those who are concerned..

hey, wanna money match at bio? $3+?

embracethe12

Smash Lord
i've played almost all the touhou project shooters.
i got an imported one for the ps2 one time but it broke in a couple weeks lmao.

i have perfect cherry blossom and imperishable night right now
only playing on lunatic mode, the way it should be played.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Grandia Xtreme was pretty bad. Playing Grandia 2 made me try a lot of RPGs that have supposedly great battle systems to see if they ever compare to Grandia 2. They don't.

It's just a perfect battle system. It's kind of broken, but it's so much fun you don't care by the time you get to the broken part. The sound of special moves and the sound effects were AMAZING, too. Golden Hammer!
The thing about the battle system is that it even makes some kind of basic intuitive sense whereas a lot of other games just have some convoluted system for no reason. I love the battle music too, part of it reminds me vaguely of the "NBA on NBC" theme. I also really liked the ending of Grandia II. I mean it was cheesy but it was not your generic love-ending; I thought it was really fitting.

What I'd really like to see in an RPG is a battle system with "smart" mobs, where they have some manner of coordination and can kind of figure out which member of your party you'd rather not have them attack (like low HP members or something).

replicate

Smash Lord
I would suggest golden sun 1 and 2 for the GBA

I have foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooond memories of that game

Gaara♥

Smash Master
too bad Golden sun 3 didnt come out. They set it up perfectly for Alex to be the main character for another sequel

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord

I have foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooond memories of that game
ohhhhh man
So do I...

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
golden sun was awesome.

have you guys tried dead space yet? probably one of the funnest shooting games i've played (resident evil 4 system) and it's pretty creepy. a good game to play near halloween. i suggest you all go rent it since it's incredibly short but once you beat it you get the impossible mode which adds like an extra 4 hours.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought morrowind was great too, oblivion didn't really do it for me though =\

SuperRad

Smash Master
Maybe I am being too pessismistic, but I don't understand why you wouldn't dedicate one day to brawl and one day to melee, atleast from a logistical stand point.
Because as it stands, you are going to have to run Melee doubles, then convert every station to a brawl station, and then run your brawl singles tournament. And then the next day, convert every station from brawl to melee.

This isn't a problem if you have 12 tvs, but if you are planning on having a large tournament that's going to be more work than you think.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
brawl and melee on separate days ftw

hm dammit i'd wanna stay both days though and i dunno if my crew would be up for that

WHATEVER THE HOSTS WANT ftw

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Maybe I am being too pessismistic, but I don't understand why you wouldn't dedicate one day to brawl and one day to melee, atleast from a logistical stand point.
Because as it stands, you are going to have to run Melee doubles, then convert every station to a brawl station, and then run your brawl singles tournament. And then the next day, convert every station from brawl to melee.

This isn't a problem if you have 12 tvs, but if you are planning on having a large tournament that's going to be more work than you think.
This is a good point. I think I agree that Melee and Brawl should be on separate days. The other way I see is to do all the pools on the first day and try to get as far through the brackets as possible, then finish whatever is left on the 2nd day.

Top Bottom