• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes Talks Bans With Smash On Blast

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
It's time for another installment of Smash on Blast. This time around, community figure Wes sets his sights on early bans. The Smash 4 community has had a number of bans put in place very early in the life cycle of the game, namely custom moves and Mii Fighters. Tournament organizers have cited logistics, but several have not even attempted to use these features in tournament, leaving many with a bad taste in their mouth.

Mr. Wes, taking people to school literally!

Wes handles this in his trademark goofball style, finishing the video off with a song you'll likely not forget anytime soon. Check it out below!

Smash on Blast: Ep. 9 - The Banned Wagon
What do you think? Does Wes bring up a good point? Make your voice heard below!

The Derrit is really liking Wes' videos as of late. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Haven't watched the video yet, but yeah. There are certain stages not being used that should have tournament exposure before being dismissed, and I definitely think custom moves and Mii Fighters should be legalized. People are interested, it would add more to the game than taking away, and labour involved is easy to work around.

xpnet

Smash Cadet
I would really like to see customized characters make it into Smash 4 tourneys. Need to keep things fresh and Smash 4 needs all the support it can get.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
No need to watch the video. Most people I've spoken to, even at tournaments, want to use custom moves and a more expansive stae list. On top of that, many are ready to start entering 3v3 and 4v4 teams. The truth is that it's being decided based the personal preference of TOs and a few influential high level players. We need to break away from that kind of thinking.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Beautiful. Custom specials would drastically improve the meta game, but stupid knee jerk reactions from people who won't adapt is keeping it from happening.

Thunderstrike

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thunderstrike7
I don't quite see the point of this, we are using everything we CAN use in terms of stages, really. Hell, halbert is legal. You can't really blame them for not using stages like norfair or Pokemon stadium 2. It's simply Nintendo's fault for adding as many small hazards as they possibly can. Take Willy's castle for example, does anyone really have fun fighting that annoying yellow devil?

I would love custom moves, it would possibly help under used characters get more use, while over used gets more variety.

Inb4 someone discovers an insane combination and that's all we will see in tournaments with custom moves enabled.

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
I'd love to see customs make it into tournament.

<33 Heavy Raptor Boost, Hammer Dash, Danger Wrap, and all of Kirby's customs

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I'm very annoyed by the fact that stages like Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Pilotwings aren't in tournaments, despite being perfectly legal like Delfino, Halberd, and Lylat Cruise. When I saw the Apex Ruleset, I was shocked at how limited the stage selection was.

Also, 3v3's or 4v4's can definitely be a thing. Especially since there are more stages (WITHOUT HAZARDS) that can be tournament legal.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I would like Skyloft, Wuhu, PilotWings to be an actual thing.

I still can't agree to customs because I personally spend 30 minutes to 2 HOURS each night (although more likely 30 minutes because of lack of success) trying to unlock customs.

My luck is horrible.

Topologic

Smash Rookie
Custom moves should be allowed. Any official feature of the game accessible to all should be allowed. It would also add a lot more to the variety and potential depth to the game which can't be a bad thing, surely. It's a real shame that so few, if any, have attempted hosting tourneys that give this sort of thing a go.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I'm very annoyed by the fact that stages like Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Pilotwings aren't in tournaments, despite being perfectly legal like Delfino, Halberd, and Lylat Cruise. When I saw the Apex Ruleset, I was shocked at how limited the stage selection was.

Also, 3v3's or 4v4's can definitely be a thing. Especially since there are more stages (WITHOUT HAZARDS) that can be tournament legal.
This is actually a very good point. The new update adds a bunch of new 6 and 8 player stages, and also disables hazards on them as well. Stuff like Pyrosphere or Wily's Castle actually can be played now.

xpnet

Smash Cadet
So let me ask you all this, Whats required for Tourney's to allow Custom characters? Each player would need a 3ds/2ds to transfer the customer character to the Wii U?

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So let me ask you all this, Whats required for Tourney's to allow Custom characters? Each player would need a 3ds/2ds to transfer the customer character to the Wii U?
A sufficient enough time period to pass for all custom moves to be readily available at any setup.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Ironically enough, not counting Omegas, I think 8 player has more balanced stages than normal.
Normal has...what, 7 at Apex? (That includes CPs, there's 5 neutrals.)
8 Player has Battlefield, Big Battlefield (viable due to more players maybe as a CP.), Smashville, FD(though the original FD is not allowed, wecan account omegas as one FD.), PS2, Norfair (probably a CP), Lylat, Duck Hunt (CP), Luigi's Mansion (possibly viable as a CP now since pillars don't block things.) and Town and City. That's 10. 6 Neutrals.
Sakurai, why didn't you make these altered 8-player stages the Omegas?

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
So, this video is pretty much saying how the smash community wants/makes things prematurely banned (ie: diddy kong, some stages, customs, etc) instead of adapting. I haven't seen anyone complain about banning diddy, they just want his up air nerfed. I agree that more time should be allowed with certain stages and custom moves before banning them altogether.

Last edited:

Mage4hire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mage4hire
3DS FC
3351-5339-2464
You can transfer characters from the 3ds to the Wii U, but I think it might be faster to just create a new custom character on a Wii U with all the custom moves unlocked. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't attempted it as much, but when playing smash offline with friends I believe you can edit character customizations from the character select screen.

xpnet

Smash Cadet
I'm just very interested in seeing how much time is involved with transferring the characters to the Wii U.

Can some one do a youtube video?

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Miis should be legal and But custom moves aren't legal for a reason too much grinding to get them. If people really want them Nintendo needs a update to fix the grinding process.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't care what they do, just make custom moves legal. They wonder why people say the Smash 4 scene is boring, meanwhile BANNED! BANNED! Too different, BANNED!
There's no reason for Mii Fighters to be banned either.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh wow... That was quite a presentation. But totally agree! Legalize Pokemon Stadium 2! Have some custom move tourneys! Even... try equiptment! ...somewhere in the future! This games barely 4 months old and how many times have we seen Smashville? PS2 really aint that huge a problem anymore without tripping, sure it can be annoying, but it's like PS1, everything's telegraphed and the players can deal!

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
It really annoys me that people don't want to use custom moves in Tournaments, I mean people always complain that Melee is the most technical and complex to learn. But if they included customs in it, it would make the game more fun to learn. And if you think about it it would even expand the amount of match ups people make for characters with specific moves.
(also would equipment be included i think this also would be fun to change up)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Customized movesets and equipment is tournament legal in "Dissidia: Final Fantasy" and "Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy". Some say custom moves makes matchups too varied and unpredictable, and maybe that's the whole point; keeping players on their toes and seeing whether or not they can quickly adapt to their opponent's moveset. I mean, "Pokémon" is similar in this regard as well, with certain Pokémon having a variety of different possible viable movesets, and making it the opponent's job to figure out what moveset the Pokémon has, and how to deal with it. Some food for thought.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Interesting video by Wes. I'm not really a great Smash player right now, and to this point I haven't really messed with customizing characters that much precisely because it's frowned upon in the tournament scene. But I now realize there's a great potential there for some fun and interesting scenarios.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The only characters I actually would like to see have legal customs are Palutena and Mega Man because they actually have completely different moves. Other than that, I don't wanna have to deal with learning all those different moves and how to counter them.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna have to deal with learning all those different moves and how to counter them.
Well, that just means instead of learning to counter every single custom moveset, you'll have to make quick decisions on the go and adapt to them as the game goes on. Being a top player shouldn't be about reading a textbook on MUs, it should be about being the better player.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Oh God...I wonder how many ignorant posts we will get about people bashing on Smogon.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Custom moves can be easy to unlock via powersaves, and by the time summer begins, we should already have people with customs unlocked on their 3DSs (I'm pretty sure someone out there had already done this). All that needs to be done is to transfer the setups Custom Moveset Project has made onto the Wii Us. If one person can't handle it, just have a small team of people with 3DSs with the movesets to do the transfer work.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
No character should be banned at this point.
As for stages, a few more should be tournament viable such as Skyloft and Pilot Wings. Pilot Wings may seem like a joke of a stage for competitive play, but it has 1 stage hazard (I think?) being the ring structure you pass through, chances are, you won't be that high when it passes by. Plus, Halberd has the cannon, laser, and extending arm.. Skyloft should also be viable since it is, for the most part, platforms. Castle Siege and Delfino are in, so why can't Skyloft? I know it has some weird stops on the way through its' run but it's better to have more stages than very few, especially when choices are so limited and everyone seems to just go to the Animal Crossing ones which get boring, especially with the music.

Top Bottom