• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We're on Xenforo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Suggestion: A dislike button for posts. I read far too many ****ty posts and more poster interaction via feedback can only improve the content of members.
Not happening. The only reason we kept the like system was precisely because it didn't come with a negative option.

Bubbaking: Don't worry, we learnt our lesson with rep systems a good few years back. ~Matt

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cutting in here, wasn't this fine, honestly, because Vibrant was an optional skin? :ohwell:
Yeah if it weren't the default one, maybe. But all the guests and people not logged in see vibrant, which is a large majority of the traffic on this site.

To be perfectly fair, you were kind of being, as you put it, a "douchebag" with the way you were bashing that Vibrant skin. Just thought I'd point that out. :p Carry on! :oneeye:
How does one be a douchebag towards an object? How is someone bringing up valid complaints about something being rude? If that's the case, then every single person is an asshole every day of their lives.

I guess one could go out on a limb and say I was being a **** to MMM because he's pretty much the only one involved (except for Bionic, but he did the coding and not the design as far as I know), but he wasn't even part of that conversation and none of my comments were directed specifically at him. So yeah, not really.

Also, Vibrant deserves nothing more than what I gave it. There are plenty of worse things to say about it, even. I could write a novel about how terrible it is.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Wait, wait, wait, what? Non-members are forced to view Vibrant? I was almost certain that all those times I viewed threads without logging in, the pages were in the same format as usual. Am I missing something? :confused:

Edit: And you know I was referring to your replies to Meno. I was just comparing your statements to Z'z's. :p I'm not getting involved in the discussion, however, because I really know very little about this supposedly terrible 'Vibrant' skin. :ohwell:

I could go on and on, but then this would be a MASSIVE wall of text that would require me to collapse it due to how big it would be (which I couldnt even do if I tried because collapse tags dont work).
Too late... :smirk:

Thinking on it, all the core functionality transferred great. That would just be the posts and the users. If we did not have all sorts of oddball vB plugins that were providing small functionalities here and there, and were just a plain and basic forum, then there would be no problems with moving to this new software. As it stands, posting and such work great. You're trying to make callouts on not having all these extra forum things working straight out of the gate, when they were held together with spit and duct tape on the old forums.

We got the major plugins (friends, user blogs, and media gallery) working, and they work fine.The bumps in the road lie in the "special" plugins that were cobbled together on the old vB software.

Here's the thing. As I already stated, these did not exist elsewhere for Xenforo, and therefore we had no software to use for it.
Random thought, but this kinda reminds of the Wii System firmware and all the problems it had because of how it was updated, adding in 'arms' for each new release that were completely incompatible with older games and were extremely inefficient. The "spit and duct tape" analogy really made me think of this. Hopefully, the new SWF becomes the 'Wii U' compared to the 'Wii' that was the old SWF? :p

As long as you're working on solutions, is it possible to add an option for posts per page, and remake posts into individual pages? (I believe this feature is called postbits.)
Uh, I was always under the impression that the "post-bit" was the piece of user-specific, customizable information that was featured alongside each post (the info displayed directly below each user's avatar next to his post). :confused:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Spoiler tags were added like, the day after I said that, and the font is much better and its easy to see italicize imo.

And dislikes please.

And alt+S post shortcut pleas.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You must have some mystical ability. Literally everything is italicized to me once it leaves the message box. :ohwell:

I see that the
tags no longer work, instead being the [ collapse] tags again!

[collapse="Yay, collapse tags!"]Congraturation, mods ! You're winner ![/collapse]
Which is great but weird, seeing as how the collapses still say "Spoiler". :upsidedown:

John2k4

The End of an Era
As stated previously, a Dislike option is not happening.

Doesn't look italicized to me, except quote and "everything". =(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not happening. The only reason we kept the like system was precisely because it didn't come with a negative option.
what convincing reasoning! oh well, was worth a shot I guess, but it looks like Smashboards will always work to perpetuate toxic members of the community.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Ah, let me check; I am using Neo Blue at the moment.

--

Strange.. o.o

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Edit: And you know I was referring to your replies to Meno. I was just comparing your statements to Z'z's. :p I'm not getting involved in the discussion, however, because I really know very little about this supposedly terrible 'Vibrant' skin. :ohwell:
My replies to Meno were pretty tame...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
what convincing reasoning! oh well, was worth a shot I guess, but it looks like Smashboards will always work to perpetuate toxic members of the community.
No, it's because we don't like the idea about people going around disliking whatever they can. Which would then generate arguments, flaming, ect. Generally make the place toxic.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It would've been funny if you made that post in italics.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Current issues I have found:

Code:
[b][u][i]Bolding, underlining, italics, and probably a whole host of other
commands don't seem to work within code tags.[/i][/u][/b]
Spoiler tags don't work, but I assume that's being worked on.

I can't seem to edit or quote very large posts, such as the second post in this topic, or Magus' post here.

In the RT editor I'm unable to resize the box I'm typing in, and even in the BBCode editor I only have horizontal freedom and cannot make it vertically longer than the original size. Being able to expand it very far downwards was useful for making and editing long posts, so I hope to see this feature return.

There's no halfway point between the current "Rich Text Editor" and the "BB Code Editor" - I either have to know the code of everything I'm going to have to use (incl. smilies and the like) or I'm going to have to deal with not being able to easily edit stuff like links and html colors. Is there a reason we can't have one of these editor bar things in the BBCode editor?

Something never a part of SWF but potentially useful: ever thought of having the post ID somewhere on the post? I think this would be very useful for creating links to specific posts within topics, such as the one to Magus' post above. I've been forced to use the quote feature to retrieve the post ID for far too long =P

Also, maybe it's just me, but the seperators used in the site seem a little too faint. I'm talking about the ones between posts and sigs, the post preview and the editor, etc...I find the lack of strong borders to be unappealing and makes the site seem a bit too...continuous? Maybe if someone else feels the same way they could better describe it.

Suggestion: A dislike button for posts. I read far too many ****ty posts and more poster interaction via feedback can only improve the content of members.
I don't really understand how a dislike system would fix anything. Especially considering what you are trying to fix is "****ty posts" and "toxic members" which aren't really a tangible problem to solve as it gravitates around your own personal yard stick of what is crap and what is not. Not to mention that the whole idea that "more poster interaction via feedback can only improve content" is a flawed premise because in my experience lending any type of criticism or trying to assist someone from the other side of the screen doesn't necessitate any action on their own end to improve, stop, or mitigate their so-called toxic behavior. What is guaranteed, as Mic stipulated, is that adding a confrontational option will normally increase quibbles that aren't necessarily constructive. I think that your conclusion that this site is trying to "perpetuate 'toxic members' of the community" is really a petty off-shoot of you not getting what you want. And as someone who has been on a site that has recently implemented a like & dislike comment system six months back, nothing really changed with respect to the general community and overall behavior.

Smady

Smash Master
A front page for the site? That's a great idea. The new font is a good change, thanks for taking the criticisms into account and improving the re-design.

If you'd address the issues posted earlier in the thread by Junahu and I, that would be appreciated. Foremost, the posts not having their own pages is giving the Make Your Move archives big problems.
Reposting this, it's important.

I support no dislike button. Even a like button is pushing it and I'd have opted not to have one for similar reasons.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
You could mark all forums as read, at the top of the page.
Thank you based John. I saw that but in my head it meant delete all watched threads. Also if that chat still exists you should place a chat button somewhere on the forums that link to it. People would return to it if it wasn't empty but it'll be empty if people have to go find it when a lot if people don't really know about it

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^the URL colors are now orange. Fooled no more, and who's viewing was useful. AFAIK the feature has been in and out, I see it sometimes, they're probably messing with stuff and fine tuning things behind the scenes, I think it'll be brought back...I swear it was there 2 days ago.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ah, let me check; I am using Neo Blue at the moment.
This was probably answered already, but have you added back all the things that Neo Blue was missing from Smashboards Dark? If so, I think I'll consider going back to that.....

Are you using something awful like IE or something?
No, I'm using Google Chrome, which I assume most of the people on this forum (and in the world) use. :p I haven't used IE (on a non-public computer) in about............2 or 3 years. :smash:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Chrome definitely doesn't do that for me.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Claire, you should try out chrome for iPhone o___o
Beats safari imo

Plus you can have a bajilllllion tabs

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm 99% sure that's intended behavior.
So I am.

The thing I'm going to beedback about is the fact any BB code translate inside a quote box if it's written before a quote.
I know it usually happens in many forums, but SWF was one of the few ones it didn't, and I liked it when it was like that...

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Bionic, can you post here or PM me why Smashboards decided against VBulletin? Smashboards, iirc, was using a pretty old version so those exploits aren't in the newer versions. You guys should've sticked to VBulletin.
Go to Wikipedia, look up "vBulletin", go to "vBulletin 4 controversy" and read it.

It would have been a nightmare.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I've seen that the WWYP winners got their 'postbit' back...but any chance the 'Smash Artists' (AWYP) people will get the smash artist postbit? RIP Paintbrushes

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Free boards get hacked more often, and free boards are also the ones that get patched the most often.

vBulletin is sloppily coded, takes 12x the amount of database queries out-of-the-box, and its interface drives users away. vB 3 =/= vB 4/5. vB 4 still has hundreds of bugs and issues that have been longstanding that haven't been looked at.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Okay, so it costs a bajillion dollars to license and it turned out that the leaked documents were true. It also mentions the various bugs/exploits in vBulletin 4 and how there's a level patch 1 for it. It stops there, though. For example, it goes up to level patch 3 and surely those "major" bugs have been ridden of by now. The latest version is 4.2.0 level patch 3 (whereas Wikipedia talks about 4.0.4) and there's vBulletin 5 which is in beta right now. The only thing that stands out to me is the Google AdSense deal. It doesn't seem like something you'd ditch vBulletin for unless you rely a lot on Google AdSense. That article, while I'm not denying its validity, seems to be a tiny bit outdated.
IIRC, Bionic or somebody said that SWF was no longer receiving support/updates. Now if I may be so bold as to speculate a little here, I'd conjecture that means that SB never had the chance to install the latest "patch levels". I wonder if I'm right.....

Edit: Oh, ninja'd. Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom