• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Maze! A Beginners Pac-Man Guide - (In-depth Apple + Melon Guide Added)

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Guys there will be some Pac-Man and Yoshi play I'll be on stream at twitch.tv/clashtournaments with Keitaro and Zucco and myself.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Minor detail, but his Up Taunt's official name is Namco Roulette, not Namco Nostalgia.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
Some solid waka on the stream, Pride. Can we put together a list of kill moves? It could be a useful thing for the guide.

Things I've gleaned from streams: Key, all smashes, hydrant toss. Hard to tell on non-smash normals.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Thank you. But I still need a lot of work. I am way better still with my older characters and winning with Pac-Man vs friends is still rare for me. But yeah I need still a lot of work. M2K was apparently stomping with Pac-Man the other day and I never got to see what he used. I may be playing him all wrong.

When I played Zucco off stream, I managed only 3 out of 10 wins with Pac, but was able to go evenish with Peach and Yoshi. So I may just have the wrong mindset to begin with.

Kill moves is where I always fail. I can wrack up the damage Always but never seal the deal. Key, hydrant, smashes, back throw near ledge and side b can all kill, but ALl are predictable. I feel you need to be an excellent reader with Pac right now. But I am not deterred. Gonna keep working at it.

What so you guys think?

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Thank you. But I still need a lot of work. I am way better still with my older characters and winning with Pac-Man vs friends is still rare for me. But yeah I need still a lot of work. M2K was apparently stomping with Pac-Man the other day and I never got to see what he used. I may be playing him all wrong.

When I played Zucco off stream, I managed only 3 out of 10 wins with Pac, but was able to go evenish with Peach and Yoshi. So I may just have the wrong mindset to begin with.

Kill moves is where I always fail. I can wrack up the damage Always but never seal the deal. Key, hydrant, smashes, back throw near ledge and side b can all kill, but ALl are predictable. I feel you need to be an excellent reader with Pac right now. But I am not deterred. Gonna keep working at it.

What so you guys think?
We definitely need to start getting the big picture of Pac-Man's playstyle before we try to search for specific ways to abuse him.

I don't have the game yet, but so far he seems to me like a very unorthodox character like megaman, so like him, we should probably be attempting to play him to his strengths.
So let's ask ourselves, what makes pac-man unique and powerful, and how do we capitalize on it? Once I get the game, this will be my primary focus.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
We definitely need to start getting the big picture of Pac-Man's playstyle before we try to search for specific ways to abuse him.

I don't have the game yet, but so far he seems to me like a very unorthodox character like megaman, so like him, we should probably be attempting to play him to his strengths.
So let's ask ourselves, what makes pac-man unique and powerful, and how do we capitalize on it? Once I get the game, this will be my primary focus.

Yeah. I may be too focused on trying to play with his specials when he still has decent normal attacks. Plus his smashes ARE strong. I should be utilizing this and make more reads. He can kill early with forward smash.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Yeah. I may be too focused on trying to play with his specials when he still has decent normal attacks. Plus his smashes ARE strong. I should be utilizing this and make more reads. He can kill early with forward smash.
Pac-Man seems like a character very much based on using all his tools to help him run over the opponent's options, but making sure to balance the close-quarters combat with his far range game. Close up, we should be comboing and overriding the opponent's moves with our disjointed hitboxes, and when the going gets tough, we should be using our tools to pressure the opponent and to maintain control until we gain momentum back.

He has his hydrant for spacing when we need some distance, and his side B as a way to invade the opponent's space and pressure them out of their combos and by extent, momentum. His bonus fruit is one of the best toolboxes in the game when used right. Every fruit has a use in the right situation, and as a whole, should help you to put every part of the match in your favor.
I feel that we should use his aerials and tilts to combo opponents because of pacman's awesome disjointed hitboxes, and the smashes should all be used for the kill, or to punish. His specials are all unique and serve different roles, the hydrant is the spacer/projectile that slows the gamestate(sorry, Yugioh habits lol) for us so that we can gain momentum back from getting launched, or to charge up a fruit. The pellet trail is a great finisher, good for Mindgames, helps us to keep the opponent away, and as a way to either safely enter the opponent's space and make it our own, or to leave quickly. It's like the bridge between our in and outward game.

In the right hands, I know that a Pac-Man main will be able to control the stage and the opponent with the infinite possibilities and combinations of his arsenal, while being able to dominate both the opponent's inner and outer space with both his combos and specials

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Good reads. Going to take a few to learn the situations but I won't quit him even if other characters "seem" easier to play and win for me. I love the character way too much. He has the tools you are right, just need to get used to them.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
No, Pac-Man just rises while charging or throwing the fruit.. no jump cancelling... currently messing around with custom items..

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
You can't glide toss in this game. No c stick.

* edit.

I also really want to update this guide with some things I learned in the last week. Hopefully this weekend after I go to the tournament on Saturday.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
You can't glide toss in this game. No c stick.

* edit.

I also really want to update this guide with some things I learned in the last week. Hopefully this weekend after I go to the tournament on Saturday.
Well you can jump cancel toss like this megaman right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFwte0QU4M
I can't wait to see what you have learned. How are the custom moves? I see potential in the tricky trampoline in cooperation with the long pellet trail.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
The more I see/hear about this character the more excited I am to play him when the full game comes out.
Hopefully I will be able to contribute more at that time.

That said jump canceled glide tosses are in the game and very useful for MegaMan (Based on my experience with the demo anyway).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
What I fail to see from most people using Pac-Man is smart use of the fruit. They'll always just toss cherries because they're quick, or leave themselves vulnerable by always charging up a key (then usually whiffing with it). I hardly ever see the other fruits put to good use. Maybe they're just not that good? Some of them, though, like the apple, seem extremely handy in the right situations.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What I fail to see from most people using Pac-Man is smart use of the fruit. They'll always just toss cherries because they're quick, or leave themselves vulnerable by always charging up a key (then usually whiffing with it). I hardly ever see the other fruits put to good use. Maybe they're just not that good? Some of them, though, like the apple, seem extremely handy in the right situations.
They are good and all have uses. The galaxian isn't even used and that's one of the best fruits. Once we take advantage of all of them, we will be seriously dangerous

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d63L2mx2A

Pac-Man (ptrk83) vs Link

Gonna start posting videos of good play online. Also of my problem matches. Maybe we can figure this out.

Really should start a video thread.

Tomorrow I have a tournament. I will post all my Pac-Man wins and losses.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Pac-Man (ptrk83) vs Link

Gonna start posting videos of good play online. Also of my problem matches. Maybe we can figure this out.

That was an awesome video, dude! You're really getting the hang of Pac-Man! Would you mind if I added you to my 3DS friends list? I'd like to play against you in the future.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Pac-Man (ptrk83) vs Link

Awesome man! You're getting really good with the fruit and mixing up your moves

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Trying... I won all my For Glory matches last night but I feel like I am still winning based on the gimicks of the character....

definitely gonna save the losses with Pac today at the tournament and will need help critiquing ..

I won't be going all Pac however.. my Yoshi has been getting good again so I will be playing both.. I would eventually just want to main Pac but it is too early to rely on solely him for the W.

Also gonna try to clean up the guide today.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I just gave the guide a overhaul. Added personal tips in purple for each move and fixed some of the headers and percents.

Match up and video discussion should be in a separate thread. Will work on that today

. I know that there are very few of us who have the game yet who main Pac-Man but if you guys have anything to add or say please chime in!

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Great OP! I was just reading about his neutral special as I wasn't sure about each fruit and the cycle. The Galaxian Boss and Bell positions in the cycle seem odd. I probably won't use them much when I can dish out the melon quicker. That key though looks satisfying.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Okay well yesterday...

Good news is took 7th in the swiss pools and placed 7th in the bracket of yesterday's tournament with Pac-Man and Yoshi.. The bad news is every match I lost in the swiss pools was with Pac-Man....

good news.. I was talking to Dabuzz and he was pointing out glaring flaws in my Pac-Man play style and that he feels the lower cycle bonus fruit are more key to confusing your opponents than just charging up until the key, which is what I have been mostly doing. He thinks some of the fruit can lead to cool frame traps.

Although Yoshi has took a primary seat now on my tournament roster, I am absolutely not giving up Pac-Man... just need to figure him out more.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Okay well yesterday...

Good news is took 7th in the swiss pools and placed 7th in the bracket of yesterday's tournament with Pac-Man and Yoshi.. The bad news is every match I lost in the swiss pools was with Pac-Man....

good news.. I was talking to Dabuzz and he was pointing out glaring flaws in my Pac-Man play style and that he feels the lower cycle bonus fruit are more key to confusing your opponents than just charging up until the key, which is what I have been mostly doing. He thinks some of the fruit can lead to cool frame traps.

Although Yoshi has took a primary seat now on my tournament roster, I am absolutely not giving up Pac-Man... just need to figure him out more.
Congratulations on your placing!
It all just takes a little more time with Pac-Man. do you have any videos of your matches?

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
^ I do..
I just spent the morning playing Ksizzles (Nairo's brother) Little Mac, MK and Villager... granted he won the majority of matches I was able to pull a few wins with Pac vs his Little Mac. Pac definitely gave him the most trouble... I will upload some videos later today.. I still have faith in him!

Player-3

Smash Hero
Had a 3ds side tourney at to10 today, single elim so watever, took m2ks dhd to game 3 last stock mid % now he thinks the game should be 1 stock bo5 because i 2 stocked him game 2 because "rage mechanic is broken"

It was streamed so ill get vod when i can :)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey ptrk83!

I think for edgeguarding you could try the melon to set up a wall, or the galaxian for it's hard to dodge looping.
Setting up a red Pac-Jump trampoline may be hard and time-consuming, but since it can instantly put
an opponent in freefall it may prove to be another effective obstacle.

And finally, a hydrant near the edge may push enemies just far enough to miss the ledge.

...Whew! I can hardly think of another character whose entire special arsenal has use in edgeguarding.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Good idea with the melon and Galaxian ship would definitely add pressure off stage.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The orange and apple also seem like great gimping tools. The apple can be thrown diagonally down on characters while they try to recover, and the orange can be thrown straight at them to push them back further and cripple recoveries like megaman and sonic's

Top Bottom