• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Maze! A Beginners Pac-Man Guide - (In-depth Apple + Melon Guide Added)

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Pac-Man's hydrant spikes. .... First spiking projectile? First of it's kind?

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
The key to me would be the most powerful one because it (of course) takes the longest to charge. Either the bell or the key I feel would have incredibly short throw distance but would have devastating damage. If just the apple can send Mega Man flying who knows what the key can do?

What I also wonder, since Pac-Man goes in order of the fruits of the original game, is if you're able to just keep charging the key or it reverts back to the cherry?

On the subject of the demo observations, I don't entirely agree with him looking to be slow. To me he looks like the same speed as Mario and Luigi, if not a bit slower. I think the floatiness comes from his weight in Pac-Land, where his landing was floaty. I can't imagine nor have witnessed him being as floaty as Jigglypuff, though.

edit: Here is a brief clip where you can see Pac-Man running

http://youtu.be/ghFEU4t_Pm8?t=20m57s

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
The key to me would be the most powerful one because it (of course) takes the longest to charge. Either the bell or the key I feel would have incredibly short throw distance but would have devastating damage. If just the apple can send Mega Man flying who knows what the key can do?

What I also wonder, since Pac-Man goes in order of the fruits of the original game, is if you're able to just keep charging the key or it reverts back to the cherry?

On the subject of the demo observations, I don't entirely agree with him looking to be slow. To me he looks like the same speed as Mario and Luigi, if not a bit slower. I think the floatiness comes from his weight in Pac-Land, where his landing was floaty. I can't imagine nor have witnessed him being as floaty as Jigglypuff, though.

edit: Here is a brief clip where you can see Pac-Man running

http://youtu.be/ghFEU4t_Pm8?t=20m57s

You can keep the charge. :) There is a clip of him just using his B and it started automatically with the apple.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac-Man's hydrant spikes. .... First spiking projectile? First of it's kind?
Y'know, i just thought about the possibilities that this opens up, and this can mean a lot for Pacman's overall viability. If he is as floaty as they say he is, he can use his hydrant to prevent characters from juggling him.

So they say Pac-Man is SLOW.
We heard, but its just an opinion. Zipzo even admitted that hes used to really fast characters. Im taking this "revelation" with a grain of salt

Last edited:

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
You can keep the charge. :) There is a clip of him just using his B and it started automatically with the apple.
What I meant was since the fruit cycles in the order like in the arcade game, once you reach the key you could just keep the key until you throw it, even if you keep "charging" the fruit. In the original arcade game once you reached the key the Fruit Target remained the key forever.

So they say Pac-Man is SLOW.
Yes, but it was further elaborated on. Personally I don't believe it to be as slow as it is implied, but I haven't played the game so I wouldn't know. To me he looks like he's as fast as Mario/Luigi. Hopefully the part about the huge hitboxes isn't exaggerated because that could really help Pac-Man in combination with his small size.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Side be apparently has invisible frames...need confirmation.. Although that would explain why he kinda of becomes a shiny gold color while doing it.. .Mostly visible in that famitsu page leak on Pac-Man.

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Megaman's dair is a spiking projectile and we've known about it for far longer.
Not the same at all. That move goes and short distance and returns. This move you can drop from any spot in the a screen and will continue to fall. Like a true projectile.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Not the same at all. That move goes and short distance and returns. This move you can drop from any spot in the a screen and will continue to fall. Like a true projectile.
>and returns

What.

It's a mid range projectile, like all of megaman's projectiles. Just because it doesn't go forever doesn't mean it isn't a projectile. Not even spacie lasers went forever in brawl.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Perhaps I am just imagining the idea of a projectile something different. I feel like Mega Mans down air is just an extension of his body. But I get you.

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
Utilt and Dtilt are most likely more generic kicks.
I would imagine this as well, his down tilt being similar to his ledge recovery attack where he sweeps under the opponent with a leg, and for his up tilt it could be a more powerful version of his jab finisher where he flip kicks.

Another possibility could be him changing into his wedge shape for the moves, like his neutral aerial.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Yeah that would be cool if he turns in to a ball and nips upwards for his up tilt... but yeah I imagine the sweeping low kick also as his down tilt..

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Thank you! I wil try to take videos and add information all weekend as diligently as possible. Also, if you all spot information from another person who has the game early as well , and that I missed, please post here.

No one answered me about any Pac-Man mains getting the Japanese version early this Friday. Is it just me?

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Ugh noooooooo. Only 5 playable characters. No Pac-man but he is on the select screen. Just greyed out. Game plays beautifully.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Mega man, link pika Mario and villager. The game plays so beautifully in my own home. Lol

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Ugh... at Pac man's alt costumes... Thank GOD I love his normal outfit enough not to care.... I do like the winged boots, but not those silly looking arm pads... they look like swimmies.. *Updated guide with Alt Costume pictures

I mean what the hell is this..

Attachments

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I agree, ptrk83. Pac-Man has the worst color swaps in the entire series, in my book.

I'd actually like to use the white winged boots alt...if it weren't for those ridiculous water wings.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Here they are in a higher resolution

But yeah, I would have even preferred just his gloves and shoes to change color.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Not going to lie. The white one kind of looks good now.

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! I wil try to take videos and add information all weekend as diligently as possible. Also, if you all spot information from another person who has the game early as well , and that I missed, please post here.

No one answered me about any Pac-Man mains getting the Japanese version early this Friday. Is it just me?
I have it and will be maining him as well.

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
2 more days!
I know. The demo is taunting with him being able to be hovered over. Love the Pac-Land reference in most of the alternate colors. The socks still confuse me to be honest and I don't know what they were thinking with the plaid alternate. I have to say all of them look pretty nice, except for the purple and plaid alts. I'm not feeling those.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Two notes I see missing here:

1. Although we don't see it grabbing anyone, Pac-man has a Galaga tractor beam move in his trailer which is most likely his grab.

2. According to Famitsu, the Fire Fire Hydrant can hurt Pac-Man.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Two notes I see missing here:

1. Although we don't see it grabbing anyone, Pac-man has a Galaga tractor beam move in his trailer which is most likely his grab.

2. According to Famitsu, the Fire Fire Hydrant can hurt Pac-Man.
Meleebrawler... Wow.. duh ...very good eye!! I didn't even think to think that was his throw!! I thought it was just an item lolol. Well can't tell which throw it is yet but that most definitely is his throw.

Also.. Guys.. You can just call me Pride from now on... which is the tag I will be using from now on. Tried changing it this time around and apparently the NJ scene wont let me.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Those alts are... depressing, to say the least. I hope there's a Ms. Pac-Man costume hidden somewhere.

Top Bottom