• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Controller Configs

tekkie

Smash Master
Okay, so I recently learned that JJ uses R as Special to make jumpshining easier. I gave it a shot and, holy ****, jump shine turns into super awesome. It's so much easier and instant. I didn't even know Wolf's shine could come out that fast in a full hop.

Anyone use any other weird controls and if so what is the benefit?

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Uh....R as in GC controller? That IS weird...I dunno, I've always stuck with B as special x.x my tap jumpshine does the job for me but if you guys could make a vid showing the difference between the two, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it...Plus, I can't really focus that much on competitive right now x.x...My GC controller is still 7-8 years old (from when i bought the GC when it was still new in the market) and I lack the monetary funds to acquire a newer one right now...So, I'm practicing with a b that doesn't always register, and sometimes my controller does the wrong a or b combo, my movement stick moves around a little bit even when I'm not touching (requiring me to move it more to make it register that I'm moving, which might explain my trouble with tilts atm x.x) n ironically, since i only started usin the cstick in the past year n a half or so, it, my z, x n y are actually almost untouched compared to the movement stick, a, b, l n r xD

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
Y special (or X) depends on preference

Z attack

L Grab (or R) depends on preference

Covers all of wolf's bases, but took quite a while to get used to. Y special makes it simple to jumpshine and b reverse, bair into b-reverse laser. All you do is slide finger X to Y and jumpshine is instant.

Z attack makes it real easy to do the DACUS, especially buffering the DACUS which was quite inconsistent with Z grab.

L as grab I wasn't too happy about, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy doing that sliding pivot grab using it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
z-attack (for dacus)
a-attack
b-special
y-grab
R-shield
X-jump
L-jump (jumpshine and fullhop laser)
tap jump off

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
What's with all the activity in the Wolf boards all of a sudden, we're even getting people that rarely drop by to post :O

I use nunchuck, so it doesn't matter :< Fugu's control scheme sounds interesting though, if I ever get a GC controller imma try that out.

Has anyone tried removing the springs for their L/R buttons on GC? Supposedly makes it faster or something, idr.

:059:

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
Z attack makes a world of a difference for DACUS, plus it enables you to do the DACIT really easily. You cannot try to consistently DACIT with Z grab, you then need to switch to the claw and use the C-stick + A DACIT.

I just found myself never using the standard Z DACUS because it only worked at best 80% of the time (I am not that skilled). Once I switched Z to attack, i can do DACUS + DACIT 99% of the time, 30 in a row pretty easily. I can buffer it after a FF Bair for that great combo JJ showed us at will, i can techchase with it and be sure that it will come out.

Made a world of a difference, but it locks you in as wolf, since only wolf, sheik, and sonic need a Z attack to keep their DACUS consistent.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
I have to give all the credit to JJ though, after playing him just once, I became convinced that I absolutely must change the controls. That jumpshine into quick quartercircle back to turn around in shine to FF Bair destroyed my world. I had to have it.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I've yet to remove the springs, and I don't much care. I'll look into the Z attack, and making x grab would REALLY help me use it more often x.x The Z being grab I just tend to forget about, because I use my fingers soley for shield n dodge, and ocassionally trying to do a boost smash/DACUS and failing epicly...Usually it sends in me doing a dash grab @.@

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if there are any other ways to open up a GC controller and play with it? I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver, and if I don't have to go out and get one, that would be awesome.

tekkie

Smash Master
Has anyone tried removing the springs for their L/R buttons on GC? Supposedly makes it faster or something, idr.
Two of my friends did it, and it's pretty awesome. It makes the shoulder button clicky instead of squishy. Powershielding gets easier.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to open my controller up. I keep trying different flatheads but nothing has worked yet. The screws in the contoller are really stuck or something. Anyone have any ideas on how to loosen them somehow? (Already trying WD40, lol)

castorpollux

Smash Champion
New JJ rule:

Weirder the controls = Better

You wolfs make me sooo proud =O

*Sniff

Welcome back Fugu long itme no see

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
I probably have the most messed up controller setup for Wofl ever.

>>Conditions<<

• I like having my thumb over jump.
  • I wanted to punish opponents with a Cstick Fsmash at any time.
  • The standard controller setup has jump too far from the Cstick.
>>My Completely Mad Controls<<

• Controller: Gamecube
    - Only have this and the Wii-Chuck.
    - Wii-Chuck eats batteries way too fast, so wired Gamecube is preferred.​
  • Tap Jump: Off
    - It helps DI as diagonals can be used without jumping.
    - It helps DACIT as diagonals can be used without jumping.​
  • L with Spring: Jump
    - Helps buffer rising Bairs (Wofl Wall) as it allows Cstick to be used for Bair. No other button does this as well.
    - Spring left inside as it helps buffer short hops.​
  • Z: Attack
    - Right index finger is placed on this.
    - Helps DACUS and DACIT a lot. Attack has to be L/R/Z for DACUS/DACIT and Z has the fastest response of those.​
  • R without Spring: Shield
    - Right middle finger is placed on this.
    - Spring taken out to help powershielding.
    - Shield must be L, R, or Z to allow for jump OoS and only R is free.​
  • Cstick: Smashes
    - The middle of the right thumb rests on this.
    - Wolf's smashes are infinitely more useful than his tilts and Bsticking/Zsticking doesn't help.​
  • B: Jump
    - This is where the right thumb rests.
    - It's the closest button to the Cstick, which solves the conditions listed previously.
    - SH FF Bair in either direction requires very little movement for the thumb.
    - Rising Dairs are easy with B to Cstick down.
    - Rising aerials are doable with B to Z.
    - Rising specials are doable with B to A.​
  • A: Specials
    - The very edge of the right thumb rests here.
    - A is the only button close enough to B and the Cstick, so specials are set to this.​
  • X: Grab
    - Used for dash grabs, pivot grabs, and grabbing items in midair.
    - Dash grab and pivot grab require a delay before the grab input, so the distance the thumb has to move is negligible.
    - Midair item grab for a platform item is no problem as by the time Wofl gets close enough to the item, the thumb can reach the X button.
    - Instant catch throw is done using R and Cstick instead.
    - Midair item grab for a thrown item is a problem though; X is too far to do this on reaction. Rising Fair/Bair is used for this purpose instead.
    - Most grabs are shieldgrabs (R then Z) so this isn't used as often.​
  • Y: Jump
    - Almost never used as it is too far from the Cstick.
    - Only use is for SH item drop FF Bair.​
>>Overall Weaknesses<<

• Rising aerials/specials are uncomfortable to perform, but completely doable with practice.
  • Cannot instantly access grab, which hurts mainly for midair item grabs/drops.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
That alone is pretty ****ed up.
I thought the B to jump was more insane. But yes, A to specials is certainly...unique. I suppose I should say A-reversing, A-recoil specials, and A-sticking now, just to derail conversation.

tekkie

Smash Master
I thought the B to jump was more insane. But yes, A to specials is certainly...unique. I suppose I should say A-reversing, A-recoil specials, and A-sticking now, just to derail conversation.
If I was bulimic, I'd think about your control scheme when I wanted to purge.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Am I the ONLY Wolf main who uses ALL the defaults?

Tap jump on, R/L to shield (I use both for some reason lol). X to jump (and tap jump sometimes), Z to grab...yeah lol. I can boost smash fine without setting Z to attack, Idk how else I'd grab. C-stick for like...everything lol.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Am I the ONLY Wolf main who uses ALL the defaults?

Tap jump on, R/L to shield (I use both for some reason lol). X to jump (and tap jump sometimes), Z to grab...yeah lol. I can boost smash fine without setting Z to attack, Idk how else I'd grab. C-stick for like...everything lol.

You're not the only one. I use the standard controls with tap jump on for Wolf. (To jumpshine better) I think I'm gonna try Seagull's control settings. It seems like I could get used to them.

EDIT: I see that this setting helps with the pivot grab, DACUS, and jumpshine alot. I just need to get used to it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
You're not the only one. I use the standard controls with tap jump on for Wolf. (To jumpshine better) I think I'm gonna try Seagull's control settings. It seems like I could get used to them.

EDIT: I see that this setting helps with the pivot grab, DACUS, and jumpshine alot. I just need to get used to it.
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:That's why I use these settings. I don't use L or Y anyway. So I put them to use. making y grab is easier for pivot grabs. Z as attack makes dacus much easier.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Now a few things Im confused on....
What precisely counts as jump shine? How exactly does Z attack make DACUS easier to preform? and pivot grab? Waaah still so many things I don't fully understand T_T

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
There was a lot of debate on Tap Jump, but with Wolf having it off takes away some options. Tap jump on gives more di on lagless fairs and OOS dair. Wolf's utilt is really not the most useful of moves, to justify tap jump off. It does really annoy me to switch controls, since i play Snake and ZSS tap jump off and Marth, Wolf and Ganon with it on.

I would really recommend you try X or Y special. With that set up all it takes to jumpshine or fullhop laser is holding down and sliding from X to Y in one quick motion. Very easy. I use to have Y as grab, but found it not as useful.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
You can DI SH Fair just as well with tap jump off due to the buffering system in Brawl. Basically, during the 6 or so frames it takes to leave the ground, you have to input the Fair and hold backwards. While it is a tiny bit trickier to execute, it is still completely doable.

OoS Dair isn't that all that helpful for Wofl, though I could see why this would be important if your secondary relies on it and you do not wish to change your control scheme. For example, Dair camping with MK would substantially benefit from tap jump on. For me personally though, since B is my jump, I can do rising Dairs perfectly with tap jump off. :)

As for its benefits, tap jump off makes holding shield upwards significantly easier, which may be important against moves that shield poke the top well. It also gives you access to diagonals without jumping, which helps DACIT. Personally, tap jump off is indispensable as it allows me to preemptively DI by using diagonals to move (example: walking away uses diagonal up and away, so I always have an upwards vector). I would die much earlier without it.

To each their own though. I use my messed up controls for every character, though I can only pose a somewhat slight threat to my opponent with Wofl.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
There was a lot of debate on Tap Jump, but with Wolf having it off takes away some options. Tap jump on gives more di on lagless fairs and OOS dair. Wolf's utilt is really not the most useful of moves, to justify tap jump off. It does really annoy me to switch controls, since i play Snake and ZSS tap jump off and Marth, Wolf and Ganon with it on.

I would really recommend you try X or Y special. With that set up all it takes to jumpshine or fullhop laser is holding down and sliding from X to Y in one quick motion. Very easy. I use to have Y as grab, but found it not as useful.
Lagless fairs has nothing to do with up being jump instead of x or y. I fair lagless all the time with x as jump. The fact that a and x are next to each other only makes it easier. and dair oos:confused: I still do stuff oos including bair,fair, and nair. No difference really. Just based on preference. And wolf's utilt is great. At low percents utilt>grab or utilt>utilt. It also kills around 130%.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I have tap jump off and I use R as my grab, it makes DACUS so much simpler. The Z button just plain sucks for me to hit, I couldn't get the DACUS with Z for some reason so yeah.

The use of Y as a jump button is much more useable since I can use auto canceled aerials so easily with it and the SH is much simpler with it. The main reason was at first the SH but then I found sliding my thumb makes a lot of stuff more possible.

I used to use tap jump only until I found the SH trick on the Y button. The other reason is that I can utilt, which isn't that bad, and I can use an OOS usmash flawlessly by holding up in shield and then sliding my thumb from jump to attack, and finally the DI is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. You can move any direction any time, like using retreating AC fair and bair, even the dair becomes useful.

That's just my opinion, take it as you will.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
I played wolf with tap jump off for almost a year and tap jump on for half a year and i can guarantee you you cannot get as much backwards DI on lagless fair with tap jump off unless you lagless fair with the C-stick, which I do not. Think about it, do you press forward on the joystick when performing a fair? On the OOS dair the difference is huge, but i agree Wolf's OOS dair blows. I only use it against other wolves that like to dsmash too much.

Plus it always seems to me that a rising OOS bair hits a bit lower using tap jump short hops, but i could be wrong.

Tap jump doesn't really affect that wolf utilt combo, since you can start holding up and buffer the uptilt before a jump comes out.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
I just tried SH Fair with and without tap jump. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I honestly don't see the difference. Maybe I'm not doing SH Fair properly with tap jump on?

Holding forward to perform the Fair shouldn't matter. By the time Wofl leaves the ground (6 or so frames), I'm already holding backwards, so the DI should be the same.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
u can DI a SH fair just as far without tap jump on. It's just a lil harder to do so though.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Okay question. I know how DACUS is explained as
1. dash
2. dsmash
3. z+up (or grab+up...w/e)
Now, just so I know it's the way I'm thinking....the person (or people) who made Z attack n another button grab....how then, does that make DACUS easier? Would I just replace Z with the other grab button?
X.x

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
I think the tap jump and cstick auto lagless fairs and low hitbox rising bairs are great. It's just hard to get used to holding the joystick half way up to use your uptilt.

And yea if you work twice as hard, you can get a lot of backwards di without it, but with tap jump you can tap up instantly hit the cstick forward and have all the range of DI you want in any direction and you can buffer them all together.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people use tap jump on apparently. That's interesting. Players should weigh the pros and cons of tap jump and make a decision about their control scheme accordingly.

SH rising aerials with tap jump off is honestly pretty easy. If you want to talk about ease of use though, tap jump off makes angling your shield up against moves like MK's Tornado and performing DACIT easier. It's all preference though as one can get used to angling shield and performing DACIT with tap jump on just as easily. The tech skill requirement for stuff like this is really really low after all and shouldn't factor too much into your decision.

The main thing that got on my nerves with tap jump on was when I accidentally perform a jump just prior to my recovery. If I get knocked out of my recovery, I'd be spamming jump and wondering why Wofl was just falling lazily to his doom. There goes a stock. :( My controller's analog stick is jacked up so its lack of precision made this a common occurrence. There's also how I DI significantly better with it off. Living longer is good.

@ Eon

Those questions belong in the ask a quick question get a quick answer thread, not this one. In the future, please go there to ask such questions.

1) Jump shine is performing a down B immediately after jumping. It provides invincibility frames the moment you leave the ground. It's a semi-safe counter since you're in the air and allows you to escape unfavorable situations.

2) Using Attack instead of Grab for DACUS is more lenient in terms of frames. You'll fail less when using Attack. Since DACUS is typically started using dash and cstick down, in order to execute the Attack command fast enough, it has to be done by your index finger. Your options are to claw (move your index finger to the A button) or set L/R/Z to Attack. Since Z responds the fastest due to a lack of springs, it is preferred.

3) Pivot grab is dashing away, immediately turning around, then grabbing. Due to how pivot works, Wofl's grab range extends from where he started the dash, effectively increasing the disjointedness of his grab. Done properly, the opponent will seem to snap into Wofl's claws.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
i don't think tap jump off makes DI significantly better. i have never accidentally jumped while DI'ing or wasted my 2nd jump while recovering when i didn't want to. And just cuz tap jump is on, doesn't mean its how i jump or anything, there are very few cases in which i would use the analog stick to jump.

Top Bottom