• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly SBR Character Discussion: Wolf

BanKai029

Smash Cadet
i know what scarring is, the guy is under the stage and moves striaght up and just sppears above
idk if its a type of scarring but i now its not the scarring i do or semi scarring

teekay

Smash Journeyman
oh, I see what you're talking about. It has to do with the sweet spot on the move. If you hit some ledges in the right spot, Wolf won't sweet spot, but will just barely go over the edge so the game will just put him immediately in a standing position on the side. It can be pretty useful for quickly getting on the ledge but it's pretty situational.

M@v

Subarashii!
Most of the good stuff got covered already, but

laser spam is always a good idea.

Wolf's recovery can seriously screw him. Unlike falco and fox, he cant curve his up b.

his reflector is the crappiest of the space animals imo.

his
fsmash is an awesome approach

Bair is just a plain amazing move, one of the better bairs in the game.

Wolf's up taunt-definatly the best in the game :p

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What? Reflector sucks? Fsmash an approach??? We are talking about Wolf, right???

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Most of the good stuff got covered already, but

laser spam is always a good idea.

Wolf's recovery can seriously screw him. Unlike falco and fox, he cant curve his up b.

his reflector is the crappiest of the space animals imo.

his
fsmash is an awesome approach

Bair is just a plain amazing move, one of the better bairs in the game.

Wolf's up taunt-definatly the best in the game :p
Wolf's reflector is an incredible combo-breaker. It also is better than air-dodging when trying to recover imo.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Interesting, K-9 pays the wolf boards a visit! Things are looking up.

For the reflector, using it in the air makes you fastfall unless you use it before the apex of your jump, but either way its awesome. Against people with invincibility/SA on their upBs I like jumping out and using reflector to bait an upB from someone like Marth. Then you just edgehog/guard them when they hit you during invincibility. Most people airdodge though, so it's not that useful. But still funny :laugh:

Kenrawr

Smash Master
The fast-fall difference is minor. It's a pretty easy judgment as to when the person is going to try and approach usually. :|
And yeah I decided to smash again :p
I'm lurking to see if anyone's come up with some effective anti-cg methods.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Chaingrabs... the only thing I know is that Falco can chaingrab wolf up to 45%, and its inescapable until then. If you're going to get spiked at the end, there was a discussion somewhere about the best way to escape it, but I completely forgot ._. There was also a discussion on sheik's ftilt lock, and how you should DI towards her to get out, but you probably already know this stuff. Ummmm if you face a good Yoshi, they've got a bunch of tricks going on right now, so watch out for chaingrab > spike. Thats all I remember at the moment, if it helps any :p

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just officially picked Wolf as my secondary. The only problem I see is that his up-b is a waste for recovery. Too survive with this move, one must either auto sweetspot or use it above the stage. Otherwise, the ending frames of lag will send you to your offscreen doom.

Anyway, I think he is epic pwnage. He has wonderful, plentiful combos, good AT's, and of course..... he too has the Lazer. I think Wolf definetly deserved his high-tier position.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Chaingrabs... the only thing I know is that Falco can chaingrab wolf up to 45%, and its inescapable until then. If you're going to get spiked at the end, there was a discussion somewhere about the best way to escape it, but I completely forgot ._. There was also a discussion on sheik's ftilt lock, and how you should DI towards her to get out, but you probably already know this stuff. Ummmm if you face a good Yoshi, they've got a bunch of tricks going on right now, so watch out for chaingrab > spike. Thats all I remember at the moment, if it helps any :p
haha. I already know the cg->spike method all too well :< But thanks anyway. I'll go hunting for that thread to check out if it's actually useful :p

Well, I just officially picked Wolf as my secondary. The only problem I see is that his up-b is a waste for recovery. Too survive with this move, one must either auto sweetspot or use it above the stage. Otherwise, the ending frames of lag will send you to your offscreen doom.

Anyway, I think he is epic pwnage. He has wonderful, plentiful combos, good AT's, and of course..... he too has the Lazer. I think Wolf definetly deserved his high-tier position.
He has plentiful combos!? :3 His up-b isn't useless at all really. It has great priority. It's only problem is that it can't ride walls+no DI.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
An interesting thing happened to me with upB actually. I was playing against a computer out of boredom, and the computer (wolf) used upB RIGHT next to the ledge. The current of upB caught me and I was pushed down diagonally under the stage. I went WTF and died, but it got me thinking that if you're crazy you could actually use upB at a slight downwards angle to edgeguard. Catch someone in it, but get to the ledge before the final kick, and they'll slide under the stage. If they have a bad recovery, this will kill them, and DEFINITELY surprise people :p

It can ride walls, right? I swear it can >.> it might depend on the angle though. What moves does upB outprioritize? I never realized its priority before.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Edit: Come to think about it, wtf was I talking about? :|
Duh it does *mega facepalm*
Sleeping med+late night johns

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Wolf is kind of cheap in a way. He has very strong attacks. His blaster does extra damage up close. But he has many disadvantages.

His reflector isn't good for dealing damage. His blaster can't be spammed and it has a shorter range. His side b can be used as a meteor smash, but it is incredibly hard to hit with. Plus you can't stop it, so after you do it on accident, too bad. His up b is really bad in the sense that it doesn't go up as high and you get less time to control its direction. He also falls faster than fox and falco.

It's mainly his special moves that don't deliver, but his standard attacks are beyond masterful. Wolf is definitely top tier material, but I don't like him for other reasons, one being that he doesn't require much skill to use.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf is kind of cheap in a way. He has very strong attacks. His blaster does extra damage up close. But he has many disadvantages.

His reflector isn't good for dealing damage. His blaster can't be spammed and it has a shorter range. His side b can be used as a meteor smash, but it is incredibly hard to hit with. Plus you can't stop it, so after you do it on accident, too bad. His up b is really bad in the sense that it doesn't go up as high and you get less time to control its direction. He also falls faster than fox and falco.

It's mainly his special moves that don't deliver, but his standard attacks are beyond masterful. Wolf is definitely top tier material, but I don't like him for other reasons, one being that he doesn't require much skill to use.
Dude. You main MK. Really now.

But honestly, reflector isn't for damage, its for countering. Blaster is usually to force approach, it really isn't the spam weapon because of its cooldown. SideB can be cancelled if you're good with the timing, and if you do it by accident, you should learn to not mess up with it, or try to cancel it so you don't fly to your death. And it should not be used to attempt spikes, its for recovery and ledge mixups. UpB actually has pretty good distance, it just requires practice to aim properly. I'm pretty sure they all fall at relatively the same speed, I actually think wolf falls slower, it just seems it's faster because of his weight, but I can't say for sure. Wolf also has killing issues in most cases, with dsmash being his only reliable kill move.

Wolf is not top tier, and never will be top tier. I hate to say it, but his match ups against most of the top tier aren't so great, and he doesn't have anything he can exploit against other characters. He has great specials, and his normal attacks are also well above par, but he's just a well balanced character with nothing 00ber to exploit, such as MK's 5 moves that most characters can't do too much against that can be used over and over to win.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
well he is at least high tier. dsmash isn't his only killing move.

You contradicted yourself there buddy, you said his Blaster is good and his b moves are lacking. His only bad B move is up-B, all the others are good.
Yeah I kind of did contradict myself. His b moves aren't as good as his standard moves. That makes sense.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
that is true to. but his reflector comes up a bit slower than fox's. and of course, falco's sucks, but this isn't a falco thread, so let's move on

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Thanks to the new tier list, and the new sticky, discussion about Wolf's abilities is kind of ... useless. Unstickied.

tyler___

Smash Cadet
Wolf definitely does have the potential to be top tier, and you don't run into many Wolf's so that could factor into winning a bit too.

Top Bottom