• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week as the weekend nears, SmashBoards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but do expect surprises – every once in a while, there may be a blast from the past

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

This week’s topic is the 2014 releases Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, commonly shortened to “Smash 3DS” “Smash U” “Smash Wii U” and “Smash 4”. Super Smash Bros. 4 is the fourth game in the series, and the sequel to the Super Smash Bros. Trilogy (For those who missed my articles on them, check here for Brawl, here for Melee, and here for Smash 64). 4 brought in the first portable and HD Smash. It boasts the biggest roster to date, eight player Smash, the introduction of amiibo’s, and much more.

Super Smash Bros. 4 was more of an attempt to go back to Smash’s roots, while appealing to players of other fighting games. Many basic mechanics stuck but were altered in the process. Smash 4 specializes in combining the three previous games and focusing on what content needed to be added.

Premise in Development

Director Masahiro Sakurai first announced that not one but two new Super Smash Bros games were in the works at E3 2011, though development didn't officially began in March 2012. It was later revealed that it would be a joint-project between Sora Ltd. And Bandai Namco Games, with various staff members from Bandai Namco’s fighting games such as Soulcalibur and Tekken assisting Sora Ltd. Through development.

The lessons from the development previous Smash games helped out here: Don’t announce too early and don’t have people play it too early. The game was officially announced at E3 2013 as the final game in the Nintendo Direct, though there wasn't much footage of the game being played until E3 2014.

Of course, development wasn’t all smooth sailing; with its recent release, only now is cut content coming into light, but there’s plenty of content that was close to being cut too - most notably, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings barely survived the chopping block.

The game had so much to work on that even Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage weren’t finished in time for release and official support is still coming out to this day. Several leaks went around and got far out to the public far before street date, and to top that off, many idea clashes had among members without having a true lead studio on Super Smash Bros 4.

Despite the even bigger, but more controlled and focused ambition, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS still managed to live up its legacy of the Smash series. To add to that? No true delays were needed.

Result

The result of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, despite conflicts, came out amazing. With three million in sales on the Wii U and six million sales on the 3DS version, both versions have largely helped Nintendo's end-of-the-year line-up, and have achieved fantastic reviews.

There are, of course, negatives. Both amiibo's - the accessories for computer-trained Smash CPU's- and GameCube Adapter's initially sold out at an exponentially quick rate, and continue to sell out as they are restocked at stores. The game's release also did not sell as many Wii U consoles as Nintendo had planned.

Contrary to all of these problems, among others, which will hopefully work out, Smash Wii U and 3DS has easily had positive reception beyond reviews. In-fact, some of the negatives show its success: The amiibo’s and GameCube adapters selling that fast showed that Smash’s fanbase is still very strong and is still prepared for more games in the series.

In particular, Smash Wii U managed over 800 entrants at Apex 2015, gigantic online tournaments and will be present at Evo 2015. DLC in the form of Mewtwo and Miiverse Stage is on the way as well, so the ride is never quite over!

About the Team

Sora Ltd. Returned back on this one; once again, many contract employees were had. This is Masahiro Sakurai’s own independent company. They’re known for contacting employees with two main full time employees – Masahiro Sakurai and his Wife. The other works from Sora Ltd. Thus far are Meteos, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The other team to work on this was Bandai Namco Games. Namco merged with Bandai under ownership of Satoshi O****a (President and CEO). The founder of the company was Masaya Nakamura. For all the games published and developed (mostly developed), just check this list but to name a few - .Hack, Tekken, Dark Souls, The Tales Of series, Naruto, SoulCalibur, Ace Combat, and way more.

For more information on Bandai Namco, check here and for more information on Sora Ltd. Check here.

Music

Over 300 songs? Simply insanity.

How to Obtain Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS

Even with scalpers, probably the hardest thing to do right now is shell out money for the game. Bar sales, Smash 3DS is 40 dollars while Smash Wii U is 60 dollars. There’s been sales going off in and out, so check out for those. amiibo’s go for 13 bucks a piece, but for those who want their specific favorite character, be prepared to either wait, deal with imports, or deal with scalpers. GameCube Adapter’s normally go for 20 bucks, but thanks to supply not meeting the demand, getting them will involve either paying scalper money or waiting; it’s recommended just to wait as more offers have shown up.

Fondest memory with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS? Did you enjoy this addition to the series? How about fondest Smash Memories to end this month off? Finally, did you enjoy the month of Smash and would you like to see more of these? The month of Smash is now over, but the joy we have for these games isn’t! Stay tuned, as this isn’t the only surprise Weekly Nintendo Corner has.

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Collector, Musician, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He’s done with the month of Smash, but his reign of content has only started just now. He has had a blast with Smash 4 eight player so far and is super pumped for Smash this year. Chat with him about Smash Wii U and other memories on his twitter at @Thirdkoopa – don’t be shy! Also, next two days will have some stuff on New 3DS due to lateness. Get prepared.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm a bit late to this; this was meant to be posted during APEX 2015, but I lost track of time due to being busy! Thankfully, two other Weekly Nintendo Corner's are coming in. Pretty sure with the New 3DS Featured games you can guess what they are on. I should have a general N3DS article in (Or well we as smashboards)

I'll post my reflection post later and it'll link back to Brawl's. Hope everyone enjoyed this Smash month...ish!

Soul.

Smash 4 is a good game, both versions included. Even though I play the 3DS version (and prefer it) over the Wii U version, the latter is also good because console Smash is a necessity while the 3DS version makes the series go through the handheld stuff and it does it well. Both games are good overall.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I do prefer the 3DS version as I am usually away from my home and spend a lot of time traveling so it's great to play Smash on the go.

It is VERY strange to be discussing about Smash 4 after being heavily involved in the speculation period. It's pretty bittersweet but hopefully DLC isn't JUST limited to Mewtwo and the MiiVerse stage. Still, I remember looking at the character section and wondering who the next character would be added to it. I remember looking at the PotD and thinking "what other goodies does Sakurai have hidden outside that picture?" I remember how Friday's usually had a new character and hoping that it would be one throughout the work day. Pretty sad to think that it may be all over after this Spring.

Last edited:
Bowser Jr. making the chopping block meant the Roy koopaling got in, Mewtwo returns and not Roy, so the root of all Roy koopaling = Roy (FE) jokes was almost stopped before it could happen.

Bleeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The day Rosalina was confirmed for Smash 4 was the greatest moment I've ever seen since the Dallas Mavericks beat the Miami Heat at the NBA Finals some 3 1/2 years ago. I knew right then that she would definitely be my automatic main and I literally yelled out "EAT THAT, HATERS!!!" hehe

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Can't get any better than Smash bros. Smash top tier!

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
The other team to work on this was Bandai Namco Games. Namco merged with Bandai under ownership of Satoshi O****a (President and CEO). The founder of the company was Masaya Nakamura. For all the games they’ve done, just check this list but to name a few - .Hack, Tekken, Dark Souls, The Tales Of series, Naruto, SoulCalibur, Ace Combat, and way more.

For more information on Bandai Namco, check here and for more information on Sora Ltd. Check here.
Namco didn't make Dark Souls, FromSoft did, they only published it and handled some aspects of Online connectivity.
They also didn't make any .Hack or Naruto games either I think, only published them, or if they did it was only a few.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
My favorite part of the entire Smash speculation is the Snash direct. That was just so cool. Little Mac's reveal was also pretty epic. Funny how that's a year ago in just a few days.

Or maybe when I reported on the leaked character select screen here in the news section and every person was like:
"Shulk is an edited Little Mac!!"
"Wario is missing an eye! fake!"
"mr Game and Watch's arm goes through Wario!"
"where's theMiis?!"
"no Ridley?! Fake!"
"Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario aren't in thier franchises! Fake!"
"Sakurai would never add Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario!"
"That Dr. Mario's render already exists!"
"This isn't news!"

Then it turned out to be true. My only regret was not using placeholder image as to not spoil it for people.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I still prefer Melee over it, but it's not to say this game isn't good. It's really good and covers a lot of mistakes that Brawl made. Could it be better? Always, but the games are done well for what they're for.

Was a little disappointed that Midna became non-playable again, but wasn't too surprised about it since there was a lot of things that made it impossible for her to be playable (one canon game, not "unique/individuality-based enough", other bullcrap Samurai likes to say, etc.) Even Impa (or Ghirahim to a lesser extent) would've at least made more sense. Just one more Zelda character wouldn't hurt the roster. But I digress. Besides, HW remedied that idea up to eleven, so I can't complain too much.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
I probably had the most hype for this Smash game, just behind Brawl. My first Smash game was Melee, so when I heard Brawl was coming out, I was pretty excited (I was 9 when it was announced IIRC). So other than the vets in Melee I actually had no idea who anyone really was. I was a Sega kid for a while, had no idea who Mario was until I got a Gamecube. Anyway, the day on the DOJO when it was announced the game was delayed, I was pretty disappointed, but then, scrolling down, I saw it.

Sonic joins the battle.

Now since I was around 10 at that time I was probably jumping for joy, told my siblings, parents, etc. Stuff like that. So that was when my hype skyrocketed.

Now when Smash 4 was announced, I knew most Nintendo characters that existed. So every newcomer announcement was exciting for me (like Palutena, Greninja, Villager, even WFT). Mega Man was probably the most exciting for me. And then Sonic was confirmed to return again so that was awesome (especially since people kept telling me "oh Sonic's a guest he won't come back, I guarantee it" and I proved them wrong, hehe). Plus Mewtwo's coming back! I loved him in the first Pokémon movie (in fact the Pokémon anime is why I got Melee in the first place).

So yeah, Smash 4 exceeded my expectations too. Only minor gripes I had were Lucas and Wolf being cut, and I guess Infernape not being playable, but he appears in one of the stages, so hey. :p

_gold_

Smash Master
Hats off to Mr. Sakurai. He's consistently given us outstanding games for many years now. SSB4 is yet again a home-run!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ah yes, the best of the best in the series. At least imo.
No one can deny that this game is the most balanced of the series though. Sure, there's Diddy Kong. But a lot of the cast feels right on que.

_gold_

Smash Master
Ah yes, the best of the best in the series. At least imo.
No one can deny that this game is the most balanced of the series though. Sure, there's Diddy Kong. But a lot of the cast feels right on que.
It really is the most balanced! I can't imagine how long that most have taken. Each addition to the series is probably a more daunting task than the last because the roster keeps expanding.

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
Without a doubt this game is far superior to all the other games. It even made me stop playing melee for fun and Project M for fun.

That's how much power this game has lol. I hope this game outlasts the other games :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Without a doubt this game is far superior to all the other games. It even made me stop playing melee for fun and Project M for fun.

That's how much power this game has lol. I hope this game outlasts the other games :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:
The bait is strong with this one. If it weren't for the rolling smilies I was surely done for.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Oh the hype trailers for the newcomers I will miss you so.

That megaman hype tho. O_O

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Mr. Samurai's wild ride continues!!

Thank you, for everything so far.

japanese_bow_2.jpg

Jupiter9099

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0748-3222-8455
I used to be in a gaming club in my previous college and we played 8 player smash. It was the most fun playing Smash Brothers I've ever had.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm going to be the odd one out, I like Brawl better. Come at me. Not to say I'm not totally obsessed with this game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This may very well be the best Smash Bros. game I've ever played in the series since the original on the N64.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The very day I saw that it was officially confirmed that :4bowserjr:, :4larry:,:4morton:,:4wendy:,:4iggy:,:4roy:,:4lemmy:,:4ludwig: and :4duckhunt::b: were ALL confirmed to PLAYABLE characters.....my hype was at levels I couldn't even FATHOM. ESPECIALLY when it was confirmed that :4larry:,:4morton:,:4wendy:,:4iggy:,:4roy:,:4lemmy:,:4ludwig:were playable with:4bowserjr:, it made me so hype and happy!

Top Bottom