• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Namco didn't make Dark Souls, FromSoft did, they only published it and handled some aspects of Online connectivity.
They also didn't make any .Hack or Naruto games either I think, only published them, or if they did it was only a few.
I know they had some development involvement, but I'll clear up and add the "Published" part

I'm going to get around to my post as well in this thread. Tomorrow at latest!

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Reignited my love for Smash Bros. :')

Love the polished, cohesive feel in 4 so much. I adore the other entries but I won't be revisiting them for a long time...

D

Deleted member

I really like the fact that a handheld Smash Bros. was released this time around. And it was worth the wait, even though elitism can go against it. Smash Wii U is great, too, but like @xSoul, I mostly play the 3DS version. Either way, I like both games.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
It's amazing really. What started as a niche fighter game with a unique cast and set of mechanics twenty years ago is now arguably one of the biggest franchises in the history of gaming, standing toe to toe with Mario Bros. and the Legend of Zelda, if not eclipsing them.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
No Adventure Mode Still...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I guess it's time to begin talking as stated that I would do. I need to get into the habit of this more, but after the Omni article, I'm kind-of thinking "One post shut up" ordeal. This is a bit more philosophical reflections until the end. Anyways,

---

The reason I didn't comment on 64 is 64 is kind-of a generic story with me for the most part. The reason I didn't comment on Brawl is frankly because there's too much to comment on with Brawl; not because I played it more than Melee, but because I had more experiences with other people. From the first trailer day to even now with Project M. Brawl is the reason 3 out of 4 of my best friends even exist in my life to this day. I'd go into more, but I've been considering an anon post of it or something in-which I [REDACT] names. I think we could definitely use more positive attitudes in going forward to the Smash series; it shocked me that during the Brawl article so many comments and people said "Wow, this is the most positive I've ever seen Brawl discussed on this site"

Okay, now back to Smash 4,

Growing up can be hard.

I was still in my teen years during Brawl's lifespan while Smash 4 I was in my 20's for most of it's timeline. When I had first heard word of a Smash game, while I knew I would respect it no matter what was put in, I would also have to be realistic. Unfortunately, I bopped that thought out of my head pretty fast. Instantly, I wanted to see better characters in the game, better improved everything, new characters that were honestly more of pipe dreams, to become a competitive player, to become a competitive commentator, and well, a lot of things that are mostly out of my own realm of control.

As the announcements poured through, unlike previous Smash games, there was more signs of "Meh" coming out of my system. The negativity poured on with almost every Smash discussion that I had became less fun and more ridiculous. So much discussion of balance. Talking about if DLC should be a thing. Hearing whining about only supporting a trio of characters. When thinking less on "Is the game fun" and focused more on what people want and more focused on only tunneling visions, it became a lot less fun.

Then the game set to finally release, in all it's mellowness. I had a great time both launch nights! Even better than Brawl. It was a blast. I then didn't have much motivation to play it.

I kind-of got down because I realized due to time I wouldn't be able to commit myself to it. (I know there will be a few comments saying "Go for it!" still with the competitive scene) It wasn't even just me not enjoying the game either; it was just the feel of nothingness that poured through.

I then took a look outside. Articles poured out and information came all over the grapevine. It wasn't just me. From all over the place, people who had developed the game felt burned out from it. Heck, seeing that was kind-of a theme of the year even with Non-Smash things. After stepping back, I thought to myself still. What was still cool is, even with the mellow ending, many people were still glad that they did what they could. Many people no longer working on the series probably, either.

"I won't be able to do everything in this life, but instead, focus on what I can do and make the most of it."

So, Smash 64 was a story of observing. Melee was a story of learning on my own. Brawl was a story of appreciating things for what they're for. Smash 4 was a story about appreciating who I am.

---

I hope people enjoyed my 2 AM story, but for me, I love playing Greninja, Shulk, Fox, and Iggy (though less-so since patches) in Smash 4; particularly Greninja. I have a huge fascination to how doubles and especially 4v4 can develop. I mostly just play it with my best friend(s), at parties, or when I get bored waiting for something with the 3DS version. I'm hoping that even if I don't get time to play as much as I like in the future, I'll at least be able to bring out awesome 4v4 during Smash parties and enjoy a slow journey to an eventual 100%.

While everyone here is panicking "What would they do without Sakurai" I think this game gave the series more direction for future titles than ever before. Keyword: Direction, not content.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The functional online has made me far more invested in it than other games.

Anyway, Smash 4 was the reason I joined this wonderful site. Not counting the storms near the 3DS version's release, the early speculation period where we had little info about the game were some of the best times I spent on the site.

Anyway, reading the comments above, I see no mention of the Gematsu or the :4falcon: punch which destroyed it. I am disappointed in you. :laugh:

:231:

Tomsta17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomsta1712
3DS FC
4441-9914-0347
When Sonic and Mii Figthers were announced to be playable, i was satisfied!
When Megaman and Wii Fit Trainer were announced to be playable, i was not satisfied.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 specializes in combining the three previous games and focusing on what content needed to be added.
but thats wrong
incoming jokes about me being a "melee purist" or something dumb but besides like... Falcon's upair being reminiscant of 64...? And Kongo 64...? Nothing of Smash 4 Wii U combines anything from Melee or 64, it just takes from Brawl

****ing judge me as if I dont even play Smash, I like all of the games, but lets not lie to ourselves just to save face

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
but thats wrong
incoming jokes about me being a "melee purist" or something dumb but besides like... Falcon's upair being reminiscant of 64...? And Kongo 64...? Nothing of Smash 4 Wii U combines anything from Melee or 64, it just takes from Brawl

****ing judge me as if I dont even play Smash, I like all of the games, but lets not lie to ourselves just to save face
Gameplay, Roster, Inspiration on balance (heck, smash 4 shows 0 to death combo's like 64), features, etc.

I mean don't get me wrong, I could discuss my disappointment in the stage roster for a long time, but even if the similarities weren't intentional, they're still there.

Top Bottom