• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Website gives out tentative release date

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Oh man, August. I just hope I have enough time before school starts up to appreciate everything this game has to offer.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Late August makes total sense. Spring for Mario Kart became May 30th, so I'm not sure why we would expect early Summer for this.

Just worries me that the Wii U version really might potentially be coming out in 2015 when they say Winter 2014...

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Late August makes total sense. Spring for Mario Kart became May 30th, so I'm not sure why we would expect early Summer for this.

Just worries me that the Wii U version really might potentially be coming out in 2015 when they say Winter 2014...
Eh, I wouldnt worry too much, considering the team creating this game is larger, and Sakurai did want to get this out this year.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
August 28 huh?School starts like August 19th for me...Hopefully we can at least get a demo in July.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
June 2nd would be amazing for an actual release date, but it is probably just a pre-book date.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
August 28th is a lot later than I was hoping for though. I was hoping for a late July release, because I'd at least have a whole month before I go back to college. If the release date is August 28th, then I only have week to play the game before my second year starts. :\

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
If it ends up coming out then, I feel as though they may as well have slapped a Fall release date on it. A couple more weeks and all the leaves will start falling.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If it ends up coming out then, I feel as though they may as well have slapped a Fall release date on it. A couple more weeks and all the leaves will start falling.
Heck, they'll already have started falling. At least where I live.

R0Y

Smash Master
Late August would make sense. When I heard "Summer 2014" that was the first thing I thought of.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I want to disbelieve this just because I want for the game to come out in July.

June is a pipe dream and August is too late for my patience. :p

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
School starts late September for me, so a late August release gives me time to dive in
Iwata at E3: And we will be releasing the game...Look at the eShop, should be there by now.
Don't get me excited for something that isn't going to happen

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
If Sakurai really wanted to be a troll he would release the game the last day of summer, September 22.
But seriously I want a late June to Early or Mid July Release of the 3ds version of the game

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
I hope by "Summer" they mean "Late August" and by "Winter" they mean "Early October".
I really just want to play the Wii U version but if it's too long a wait then I'll probably cave in and get the 3DS version to get my fix like they want me to do.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Summer break's over for me there, what gives? Would just say Fall 2014 indeed because that's all I see in this release date. Just pust it one week and we're set.

Ah well.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
August was my somewhat pessimistic guess. I bet that it was probably going to be near the end of summer. If it had said june I'd have been a little bit skeptical of this, but it looks slightly disappointing enough to be right.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Even if this was confirmed to be trusted, things can change. Late July or early August wouldn't be too bad.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Bro, I've been waiting AGES for Cartoon Network Arcade to come out, everyone gives a **** about that!

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual release dates are similar to this for Smash, sadly.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I hope by "Summer" they mean "Late August" and by "Winter" they mean "Early October".
I really just want to play the Wii U version but if it's too long a wait then I'll probably cave in and get the 3DS version to get my fix like they want me to do.
I think they want to hit the sales mark with these games, so the only logical things to do would be a summer vacation release and a christmas release
Summer vacation:
The 3DS has a big child/teen audience

X-mas:
Console+game deal

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think they want to hit the sales mark with these games, so the only logical things to do would be a summer vacation release and a christmas release
Summer vacation:
The 3DS has a big child/teen audience

X-mas:
Console+game deal
This makes the most sense, all the kids are gonna be asking for the new Smash for Christmas. Maybe the bundle will release on time for Black Friday

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's probably going to be August anyways so it's likely to just be a guess. Nintendo hardly ever has major releases in June or July but August usually kicks off a string of games that go from mid August to mid December.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think Nintendo would want to release it later as to not cannibalize Mario Kart's sales. I'm not saying one is bigger than the other, but by releasing a major 3DS game too close to a major Wii U game (that Nintendo is hoping will boost console sales), the 3DS game might overwhelm MK8's sales because people will want to buy the game for the console they own already.

Or since the two tiles are different genres, that might not be a factor. Either way.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I can't see it being too relevant to MK8's sales if released in mid-July or later. That gives it almost a whole 2 months. I mean, it's Smash, people will buy it late-august anyway, but I have a feeling people my age (with vacation) will be more inclined to get it immediately if they have the time to play it.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Late August seems legit to me, thankfully I'll have Project M, Blazblue and Mario Kart 8 to hold me over.

pickle962

Smash Lord
The way I see it is at E3 this year, we'll get a more solid release date i.e after E3 for the 3ds version, but before the end of August and possibly a solid release date for the wii u version as well. I'm personally hoping for sometime in July for the 3ds version, but that's just wishful thinking ;)

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I think Nintendo would want to release it later as to not cannibalize Mario Kart's sales. I'm not saying one is bigger than the other, but by releasing a major 3DS game too close to a major Wii U game (that Nintendo is hoping will boost console sales), the 3DS game might overwhelm MK8's sales because people will want to buy the game for the console they own already.

Or since the two tiles are different genres, that might not be a factor. Either way.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I expected August just because it gives room for MK8 to get its time and to possibly even out the Wii U version's winter release.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm not surprised to see late August tossed around as the potential release; that's about what I was expecting. It'd have needed to release before mid July to make a difference for me on release date, so I don't really mind when it releases in August/September (earlier is preferred of course though!)

Top Bottom