• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Website gives out tentative release date

R0Y

Smash Master
It wouldn't release on a Thursday...false leak.

August 29th maybe.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Can someone give me a good argument on why you think late august is that plausible and logical?

Morbi

Scavenger
Can someone give me a good argument on why you think late august is that plausible and logical?
There isn't necessarily a feasible argument. Most believe that the Wii U date alludes to the progress of the game; surely the 3DS version isn't THAT much more complete than the Wii U version which would require an additional 4 months. If the 3DS version releases in July, that version is ahead by 5 months, in June? 6 months. It just isn't that logical to presume that the Wii U version needs much more than some polish, fixes, and an exclusive game-mode, of course.

Most speculate "late" august because they haven't given us a date. Hence, the only reason to give us a window, as opposed to a date, is because the game is nearing completion. It isn't actually finished. Say the game was going to release in June, they would have been aware of it, and thus given us the window of June, not just "summer." July is certainly plausible though.

Most also want to retain minimal expectations, so that in the event of an earlier release date, they are excited.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There isn't necessarily a feasible argument. Most believe that the Wii U date alludes to the progress of the game; surely the 3DS version isn't THAT much more complete than the Wii U version which would require an additional 4 months. If the 3DS version releases in July, that version is ahead by 5 months, in June? 6 months. It just isn't that logical to presume that the Wii U version needs much more than some polish, fixes, and an exclusive game-mode, of course.

Most speculate "late" august because they haven't given us a date. Hence, the only reason to give us a window, as opposed to a date, is because the game is nearing completion. It isn't actually finished. Say the game was going to release in June, they would have been aware of it, and thus given us the window of June, not just "summer." July is certainly plausible though.

Most also want to retain minimal expectations, so that in the event of an earlier release date, they are excited.
There are a lot more differences that you are forgetting to account for here:

-If Brawl is any indication, Smash Wii U will have 4 different controllers to account for. 3DS only has the one.
-Trophies on Wii U are much higher poly than on 3DS. Smash has tons of trophies.
-We don't actually know how big the Wii U exclusive features are. They could be things that would warrant a number of extra months in development. Sakurai did say the games are "packed with content". So far though, we actually haven't seen much at all, especially for the Wii U version. Maybe the Wii U version really is
-We know the 3DS version started development first. Combine this with the fact that it is easier to develop for, and there could be a huge gap between both versions.
-As a business strategy, they may be planning to hold the Wii U version back a bit even after it's finished, and try to release it at the right time.

I'm personally predicting a August release, but not because I think the Wii U version "couldn't be so behind", but because I think they will try to pack the 3DS version with just as much stuff.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Smash is going to be a big part of Nintendo's E3, so it wouldn't release until after E3 in June. Moreover, I doubt it would release too close to E3, so I'd remove the entire month of June from the list of expected dates. Additionally, assuming we don't get a release date until E3, I would doubt the release date would be only a month later in July as I can't remember any major Nintendo title that got a definitive release date around a month before its release (I could be forgetting some though). To make the target timeframe, this leaves August, and I'd guess mid to late August simply to allow about two months of time between announcing a date at E3 and release. Is it still based on speculation? Sure, but I think the logic behind it is fairly sound.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Late August makes total sense. Spring for Mario Kart became May 30th, so I'm not sure why we would expect early Summer for this.

Just worries me that the Wii U version really might potentially be coming out in 2015 when they say Winter 2014...
Now, I'm no horologist, but I'm pretty sure 2015 isn't in 2014.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Now, I'm no horologist, but I'm pretty sure 2015 isn't in 2014.
I'm no horologist either, but Winter does last from the end of one year to the beginning of the next, meaning the December winter of 2014 is synonymous with the winter of January 2015.

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Smash is going to be a big part of Nintendo's E3, so it wouldn't release until after E3 in June. Moreover, I doubt it would release too close to E3, so I'd remove the entire month of June from the list of expected dates. Additionally, assuming we don't get a release date until E3, I would doubt the release date would be only a month later in July as I can't remember any major Nintendo title that got a definitive release date around a month before its release (I could be forgetting some though). To make the target timeframe, this leaves August, and I'd guess mid to late August simply to allow about two months of time between announcing a date at E3 and release. Is it still based on speculation? Sure, but I think the logic behind it is fairly sound.

Hmmmmm... Well, the 3DS' development did start earlier

However, I think that they will try to get the sales out of this, especially for the WiiU, so even if they finish both versions around the same time, they'll hold the WiiU one back just so they can release it during black friday
I guess June is out of the picture for the 3DS with th whole E3 thing, however, just because Nintendo hasn't released games one month later after similar events doesn't meant they can't have a first time, which might just be now (talking about a July release)
It would come together with a lot of summer vacations too, and let's be real, the major audience of the 3DS still goes to school and thus has summer vacation, so it would hit the sales there too

Thanks for the good arguments
I'm no horologist either, but Winter does last from the end of one year to the beginning of the next, meaning the December winter of 2014 is synonymous with the winter of 2015.
He clearly said Winter 2014

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
This happens a lot with technology releases, they probably just threw random dates in. I can't recall any time an internal listing for anything has been accurate outside of like, phone releases being in Verizon's database. But that's not the same as a game and a random retailer :/

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Like I've said in other topics, if this game hits before September I'll be impressed.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
It makes sense and it's 5 days after my b-day so happy early and late b-day if that release date is true.

Moczan

Smash Rookie
Anything sooner than last week of August will be a pleasant surprise for me.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
What country is this site housed in the prices seem a little cheap to me. That being said. I'm expecting an August release. Really hoping for earlier but not expecting it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When Nintendo gives a season of release it's almost always at the very end, if not actually into the next season, so yeah, the tail end of August sounds about right.

Not to say this date should be taken seriously as of yet.

R0Y

Smash Master
When Nintendo gives a season of release it's almost always at the very end, if not actually into the next season, so yeah, the tail end of August sounds about right.

Not to say this date should be taken seriously as of yet.
It can't be just because that's a Thursday. The Friday of that week is certainly possible though and would be the last possible release date in August(30th and 31st are weekend.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It can't be just because that's a Thursday. The Friday of that week is certainly possible though and would be the last possible release date in August(30th and 31st are weekend.)
Brawl released on a Sunday...

In any case, Friday kinda seems as random as Thursday. Most release dates that aren't Tuesdays seem pretty random tbh.

R0Y

Smash Master

In any case, Friday kinda seems as random as Thursday. Most release dates that aren't Tuesdays seem pretty random tbh.
And how many Nintendo titles other than Brawl have released on a Sunday....? How about 0 for Thursday.

Almost all retail Nintendo releases, and every single one this decade, have released on a Tuesday or a Friday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And how many Nintendo titles other than Brawl have released on a Sunday....?
Skyward Sword
Galaxy 2
Pikmin 3
NSMB2
Game & Wario
SM3DL
DKCR
Mario Kart 7
AC:NL

probably more as well...

How about 0 for Thursday.
They do release on Thursday quite often in Japan. I'm not putting any stock into these dates, but who's to say it wasn't using a Japanese placeholder in absence of a western release date?

Almost all retail Nintendo releases, and every single one this decade, have released on a Tuesday or a Friday.
Even if a good chunk do, that's clearly not true.

R0Y

Smash Master
They do release on Thursday quite often in Japan. I'm not putting any stock into these dates, but who's to say it wasn't using a Japanese placeholder in absence of a western release date?
With the hundreds of Nintendo titles released over the years, a few exceptions does not a rule make. Smash is more likely NOT to be released on a Sunday if the release dates of most Nintendo titles are anything to go by.

Heck, if you want exceptions, Lego City Undercover released on a Monday in North America.

But we're not talking about Japan at all, this is a video distributor wholesaler, probably American, and definitely in a country that uses the $ symbol. It's possible they're using a top-secret Japanese date, but a retail Nintendo game at this point in time wouldn't release in North America or Europe on that date. You've got me on the possibility of August 31st but the 28th is without precedent, so assuming NOT the 28th is far more likely to be accurate. Making this either a secret Japanese date, a single international release date, or the most likely: a made-up placeholder.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With the hundreds of Nintendo titles released over the years, a few exceptions does not a rule make. Smash is more likely NOT to be released on a Sunday if the release dates of most Nintendo titles are anything to go by.

Heck, if you want exceptions, Lego City Undercover released on a Monday in North America.

But we're not talking about Japan at all, this is a video distributor wholesaler, probably American, and definitely in a country that uses the $ symbol. It's possible they're using a top-secret Japanese date, but a retail Nintendo game at this point in time wouldn't release in North America or Europe on that date. You've got me on the possibility of August 31st but the 28th is without precedent.
Pretty sure I just said it could've been a placeholder...

In any case, that is more than a few exceptions to the rule, that is a very fair amount of Nintendo's biggest titles from recent years.

R0Y

Smash Master
Pretty sure I just said it could've been a placeholder...

In any case, that is more than a few exceptions to the rule, that is a very fair amount of Nintendo's biggest titles from recent years.
Not on a Thursday though... I stand by that other than maaaybe a Japanese placeholder or a surprise simultaneous international release, this specific date means little to us outside Japan.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
When did I say I thought the game would release on a Thursday in NA?
You didn't, you brought Sunday into the conversation when I stated that Thursdays aren't game release dates in NA.

Except your own research would make it clear than Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday are the primary days Nintendo release in, with at least 1 exception I found for Monday. Thursday would be without precedent, making this whole "leak" likely invalid or at best, a Japanese placeholder.

You got me on Sunday though. I'm remembering going to church back then and getting Brawl afterwards.

Last edited:

zangooseX

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zangoose
I would love july but it's probably going to be mid to late august anyway, I don't really care as long as they don't rush it

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
By the time this game comes out I'm gonna be starting college and a full time job;-;
No time to play Smash before I have to grow up!!!
Please come out June or July!!!

noticus

Smash Cadet
yeah, okay
but bull****
don't say summer for a late august release
and don't say spring for a late may release
if you're trying to upset fans the least, at least don't lie about the release window

Top Bottom