• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Weapon Get" - Mega Man Movelisting and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I saw with Link if you hold down he just kinda falls right through it. Tough call though, because that could just be dependent on weight (and, Link is heavy).

EDIT: Just was told Mario had a harder time getting out so, not sure.

Last edited:

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Sounds like it maybe character specific depending on weight like Yink said.

Curious on if this is true or not simply because the U-Air has great KO potential.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Enjoying Mega Man in the demo. Not sure how viable it'll be competitively, but connecting with utilt feels soooo good!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, not sure if anybody got this from the Treehouse stream, but that girl Nikki (if that's her name) said that Danger Wrap was one of Megaman's moves in SSB4, during Megaman 7's stream.

I was like.... "no it's not". But then she knows so much about Megaman that I became suspicious... What if Danger Wrap is indeed one of Megaman's custom specials? Side+B perhaps?

And I know she was referring to that particular weapon, because they were ABUSING it at the moment. :p
And it's also weird, because there is no other "bubble" like move in Megaman's repertoire of RM weapons.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I can confirm Mega Man is great at chasing people off the edge and fly swatting them for KO's. His Fair and Bair coupled with great recovery makes his aerial and chasing game superb!

I am also not sure how good his Uair will be competitively. We need the full game to test it thoroughly ! against more characters!

As for combos, I've been working on a small one: Dthrow to Utilt. Mega Man might not be a combo character, but this one is fun when it works, especially when they DI away and you shoot some pellets at em from a safe distance! :D Now that I know about dropping the metal blade and picking it up during aerials and such I'll test some more and look for some complex combos.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm Mega Man is great at chasing people off the edge and fly swatting them for KO's. His Fair and Bair coupled with great recovery makes his aerial and chasing game superb!

I am also not sure how good his Uair will be competitively. We need the full game to test it thoroughly ! against more characters!

As for combos, I've been working on a small one: Dthrow to Utilt. Mega Man might not be a combo character, but this one is fun when it works, especially when they DI away and you shoot some pellets at em from a safe distance! :D Now that I know about dropping the metal blade and picking it up during aerials and such I'll test some more and look for some complex combos.
Ya know I didn't know he could re grab metal blade like that. That must be why when you drop it it drops behind him instead of being inside him.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm really loving Mega Man. At first I thought he'd be bottom tier, but I think he could easily be mid tier with all his tools.

Also, has anyone else seen Villager pocket MM's Uair? Because it happened to me not too long ago.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I'm really loving Mega Man. At first I thought he'd be bottom tier, but I think he could easily be mid tier with all his tools.

Also, has anyone else seen Villager pocket MM's Uair? Because it happened to me not too long ago.
yeah he can pocket it in the middle of him being dragged up so it wont really be useful against him.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Villager and Link are totally being hard counters to ol' Rock.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm starting to feel Megaman will be one of the most annoying characters to fight against - his ability to cancel out opponent actions by pellet-shooting them at any time, on air or on ground, means characters will find their inputs being cancelled and having to start new lines of inputs.

It's the feeling when you're recovering and someone shoots you out of your second jump right after you jump - sometimes you can't react fast enough to activate the up b, because being interrupted has scattered you. Megaman can do this all the time, and I think it will be his main strength.

He also has great mobility options, though dtilt. He is very slippery when controlled well - he doesn't have to move aggressively to remain aggressive and pressuring.

He moves faster with dtilt than his dash, and you can use it like a roll at times for mobility. Shoot pellets, land, and ditilt works. Approaching with bair and then landing->dtilt works for getting you out of enemy range right after your dtilt lands or misses.
His dtilt is very quick and effective as an alternate movement choice that you can mix in to make you unpredictable movement-wise.

I've discovered this by playing as him on the 3ds. The 3ds is too tiny to hold in a way that lets me quickly access both triggers at all times. To compensate, I've found myself using other means of 'dodging', including way more dashes/walking, and Megaman's dtilt. And it's works fantastically as a mobility tool - one to not overuse, but to mix in.

Last edited:

Conda

Its not looking good for our blue bomber . . .

Link can shield most of megaman's projectiles(weapon shield)
not just standing still either he can walk and it will auto block things.

F smash included . . .
Leaf shield causes stun in certain situations (thats a +)
Megaman has great melee moves too, though. Aerials are quick, and dtilt provides unique movement options. You can use dtilt on the edge to guard the ledge - works very well, and has a long extended hitbox. Megaman stays on the stage of course, which is why this works so well.

Also, use the blade on the ledge and throw it downward to hit enemies trying to recover (or diagonally down, whatever works).

Conda

[deleted] Ah, Looks like an official list of his custom moves has been listed. Yay!

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Hi guys I'm new to Smash Boards and pretty much Smash in general (although I'm heavily into other 2D fighters e.g. SF so I'm familiar with fighting game systems and such) so please be gentle lol. I don't know if this has been posted already but it seems you can negate the recovery of Megamans dtilt by performing any action as he begins to stand. If this hasn't been noticed before let me know and I can go into more detail. If it has been noted just ignore it. Looking forward to discovering MM tech with you guys. DRU192 out :-P

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I found this posted on gamefaqs:

Hyper Bomb-Megaman tosses a bomb at the opponent and explodes.
Shadow Blade-Megaman throws a shuriken that can return. If an enemy is in the way and they are hit, they have a chance of being dragged along with the shuriken to Megaman. This gives you a chance to uppercut the enemy as they are in hitstun still and do whatever.
Ice Slasher-Megaman shoots out a sharp ice blade that freezes the enemy if hit.
Danger Wrap-Mega releases a bomb inside a tiny bubble that floats up and away. The explosion will damage the enemy a couple of times and will knock them into the air a bit.
Tornado Hold-Megaman releases a spinning blade on the ground that creates a tornado and lift him up into the air. Any enemy touching the tornado will be lifted into the air and damaged by the winds.
Beats-Summon beats to lift Megaman up into the air and can carry him a little bit of distance before vanishing.
Skull Barrier-Megaman summons a ring of skulls that will reflect opponents projectiles away from Megaman.
Plant Barrier-Megaman summons a ring of petals that protects him from projectiles. On release, the petals will cancel out projectiles.
Thank you

So megaman is almost simular to miis and palutena (but some are alternates of specials)

But hoorary skull mans barrier is the third version

Although too bad but i was hoping ring boomerang would be what the shadow blade does

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I found this posted on gamefaqs:

Hyper Bomb-Megaman tosses a bomb at the opponent and explodes.
Shadow Blade-Megaman throws a shuriken that can return. If an enemy is in the way and they are hit, they have a chance of being dragged along with the shuriken to Megaman. This gives you a chance to uppercut the enemy as they are in hitstun still and do whatever.
Ice Slasher-Megaman shoots out a sharp ice blade that freezes the enemy if hit.
Danger Wrap-Mega releases a bomb inside a tiny bubble that floats up and away. The explosion will damage the enemy a couple of times and will knock them into the air a bit.
Tornado Hold-Megaman releases a spinning blade on the ground that creates a tornado and lift him up into the air. Any enemy touching the tornado will be lifted into the air and damaged by the winds.
Beats-Summon beats to lift Megaman up into the air and can carry him a little bit of distance before vanishing.
Skull Barrier-Megaman summons a ring of skulls that will reflect opponents projectiles away from Megaman.
Plant Barrier-Megaman summons a ring of petals that protects him from projectiles. On release, the petals will cancel out projectiles.
If this is true, then...

Hmm, I wonder what other robot master weapons will appear as custom special moves. Looking at the difference between Rush Coil and Beat as recovery weapons, there could be a small chance of weapons of different properties to the original special. Here's my ideas:

Neutral B:
  • Cut Man (Rolling Cutter): Thrown in a arc, similar to a boomerang, that stretches far before it returns to Mega Man.
  • Magnet Man (Magnet Missile): Shoots straight, but will immediately dart upwards/downwards towards an opponent as it passes them, similar to MM3.
Side B:
  • Hornet Man (Hornet Chaser): Shoots a robotic hornet, that moves slowly, moving towards a designated target that is closest to the hornet (excluding Mega Man, of course.)
  • Pharaoh Man (Pharaoh Wave): A chargeable special. When fully charged, Mega Man will fire a widely vertical shot that pushes its opponents away when in contact. The shots will move more slowly if not fully charged.
Up B:
  • Already confirmed Beat as one special.
  • Tengu Man (Tornado Hold): Places a powerful jet instantly under Mega Man's feet to propel him upwards. Can be used in the air as the jet will float in place. or...
  • Rush Jet: Mega Man can utilise an in-built jet pack based on Rush Jet in MM. Sacrifices less vertical recovery in favor of longer horizontal recovery, similar to DK's Up special.
Down B:
  • Flower shield already confirmed.
  • Jewel Man (Jewel Satellite) / Skull Man (Skull Barrier): Acts similar to the leaf shield, except the jewel's/skull's properties help deflect any projectiles that make contact. or...
  • Frost Man (Ice Wave): Sends out a small wave of permafrost, freezing over its path that causes icicles to rise from the ground. Only travels across ground, but can climb up walls as it continues to freeze, until it reaches the end of the platform or stage.
At least I predicted two of them! Skull Barrier was probably a high chance anyway, but I'm really surprised I guessed Tengu Man's weapon would be a custom! That's awesome.

It's a shame we don't get to see any weapons from Mega Man 9 or 10. :/ Unless you count the Black Hole Bomb Mega Man uses to activate his Final Smash.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Aren't you supposed to count his FS though? It /is/ part of his moveset.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been experimenting with the Metal Blade. Is actually a pretty good projectile in hindsight thanks to being able to move in 8 directions. Is great for keeping pressure on the opponent when firing backwards, and it does do decent shield damage/hitstun. Been having a lot more success with it vs. the Crash Bomber/Mega Buster.

Blade drops I've found are useless though. Acts the same as the regular version except it takes an extra second to do and limits you to only 4 directions.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
So I'm looking forward to following this thread, seeing as I'll likely be a Mega Man main. I've only read the latest two pages, so I dunno if this stuff has been mentioned.

From what I've noticed from the demo, being able to throw Metal Blades backwards is amazing. Plus since he doesn't really have an F-tilt, you can shoot pivot-pellets incredibly easily. Another small detail I've noticed is that if you throw a Crash Bomb on an enemy and they're shielding, you can time a Top Spin to wear down their shield more and swap the Crash Bomb twice (so it's back on them).

The demo's a bit annoying since 3 of the 5 characters have shields or reflectors, but you can still get hit with a reflected Crash Bomb and then stick it to the enemy.

Also, I LOVE the Uair. I don't care if it might not be practical, getting a kill with it is so satisfying.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Been playing mostly MegaMan in the demo, and I agree. Metal Blade is pretty frickin' versatile. Though I dunno if it's been mentioned here, but MegaMan can Jump Cancel Throw his Metal Blade. I believe it goes about the distance of Diddy's Glide Toss in Brawl? Could be wrong. :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
ALL CREDIT GOES TO USER JOEINKY AT NEOGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892673&page=106

Neutral Special 1 (Metal Blade)

Megaman's default neutral, the Metal Blade, can be thrown in 8 directions, travels about halfway through the screen and is a multihit projectile, doing about 3% damage a hit and negligible knockback.

It will stick in the ground if it collides with a surface and can be picked up and thrown again, other players can also catch it if you throw it at them and use it against you, so it's a pretty weak projectile.

Neutral Special 2 (Hyper Bomb)

Megamans second NSpecial is the Hyper Bomb from the first Megaman game, it can be thrown in 8 directions still but will always have some form of vertical movement, giving it an arcing motion.

Does 8% damage on hit and more knockback than the Metal Blade but it's a bit harder to aim, it won't explode until it hits something so it can be useful as a edgeguarding tool.

Neutral Special 3 (Shadow Blade)

Megamans third Neutral special, the Shadow Blade, acts just like it does in Megaman 3, instead of going in a straight line, it has a boomerang effect, returning to the same position it was thrown from.

It can still be thrown in 8 directions and does only 2% damage per hit, but it doesn't stick in the ground and it can't be caught and used against you.

Side Special 1 (Crash Bomber)

Megaman's default Side Special is the Crash Bomber from Megaman 2, it fires in a straight line and can latch onto players or surfaces, 2 seconds later, it explodes, doing around 8% damage and low, diagonal knockback.

The explosion does decent shield damage if they try to block it and the bomb acts like the sticky bomb from Brawl, transferring to another player if they walk past each other.

Side Special 2 (Ice Slasher)

This customisation lets Megaman use the Ice Slasher from Megaman 1, it does less damage than the Crash Bomber, dealing only 4% a hit, but it pierces enemies and will also freeze the enemy above a certain threshold, somewhat based on their weight (Jigglypuff froze at 20%, Bowser froze at 24%).

It's nothing really to write home about, it has decent vertical knockback but Freezing effects have never been that good in Smash because they never last long enough.

Side Special 3 (Danger Wrap)

I'd say Megaman's third Side special, the Danger Wrap from Megaman 7, is probably his best variation, it shoots out an explosive wrapped in a bubble that floats upwards, exploding if it comes into contact with anything.

The explosion is multi-hit and does 13% damage and pretty good knockback, at higher percentages the knockback is perfect for just using the move again because it will rise straight to them and get them a second time if you can catch them sleeping.

You can have Danger Wrap and Air Shooter on screen at the same time, so it gives you pretty good coverage for someone trying to return to the stage, the only sacrifice with this move is that you have no horizontal range with it other than a few centimeters.

Up Special 1 (Rush Coil)

The Rush Coil from Megaman 3 (?) is his default recovery, it's equivalent to Sonic's spring jump, giving some great vertical distance and not putting you into special fall, if you use the move whilst grounded, Rush will stay there and can be jumped on a second time (either by you or an enemy) for an even higher jump.

Rush Coil also has the ability to get you out of weak hitstun, so it can be used as a combo breaker of sorts.

Up Special 2 (Tornado Hold)

Megaman uses the Tornado Hold from Megaman 8 as his second recovery, dropping a fan on the ground that pushes anyone caught in the cyclone upwards, it damages enemies on the way up, dealing about 1-2% a hit for a total of around 6% damage, you can use your aerials at the height of the recovery, so you can use it to combo into flame sword or Slash Claw but it's not guaranteed. This move also doesn't put you into special fall.

Using the move in midair causes the fan to fall as it pushes you up, you can use this above on stage opponents to delay their rise and give you more time to use an aerial or you can use it off stage to force a recovering opponent to recover high.

As a recovery it doesn't give you much horizontal or vertical distance compared to Beat or Rush Coil.

Up Special 3 (Beat)

Megaman's third recovery is Beat, who first appeared in Megaman 5, using this move will spawn Beat (complete with NES-esque whistle sound), who will carry you upwards and allow you to get greater horizontal distance than either Rush Coil or Tornado Hold, the drawback to this being that Beat moves slower than Rush Coil launches you so you are slightly more vulnerable.

Like the others, this one doesn't put you into special fall.

Down Special 1 (Leaf Shield)

Probably Megaman's worst special, the Leaf Shield from Megaman 2, it has very slow startup and can be used to block projectiles or collide with an enemy for 2% damage per leaf.

Projectiles can still hit you if they slip in between the leaves and if a leaf blocks a projectile or hits an enemy, it gets destroyed.

The move stops you from doing anything other than throwing the shield straight ahead or grabbing an enemy, when thrown it does 3-4% a hit. The knockback on every hit is non existant, to get the most out of the move it's best to use it and then just grab them and let the leaves hit them.

Down Special 2 (Skull Barrier)

The Skull Barrier from Megaman 4 makes it's appearance as Megaman's second down special customisation, it does no damage whatsoever whilst circling Megaman but it will push people back ever so slightly and reflect projectiles rather than block them.

When thrown, it travels less distance than Leaf Shield and does 2% a hit.

Like Leaf Shield, all you can do whilst this move is active is throw it or grab.

Down Special 3 (Plant Barrier)

The Plant Barrier from Megaman 6 is the final Down Special customisation, in this variation, the petals surrounding you will not disappear when hit, instead staying for the entire duration of the move, does 3% damage a hit whilst circling and 4% when thrown.

Travels less distance than Leaf Shield and moves slightly slower than Leaf Shield, each hit also gives slight knockback compared to Leaf Shield.

Again, like Leaf Shield, all you can do whilst this move is active is throw it or grab.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I've been playing and watching recently, and I had originally thought Leaf Shield was terrible. However, some Japanese smashers I've seen are starting to use it, weirdly, as an offensive tool. I recognize you can jump, airdodge, and grab while using it and they seem to utilize this. If you can manage, you're able to approach with it and if the opponent gets hit you grab, and then the leaves hit and you proceed to throw.

I sort of wonder if they hit hard enough to knock someone out of your grab and allow for a regrab? Can't confirm that yet though.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I've been playing and watching recently, and I had originally thought Leaf Shield was terrible. However, some Japanese smashers I've seen are starting to use it, weirdly, as an offensive tool. I recognize you can jump, airdodge, and grab while using it and they seem to utilize this. If you can manage, you're able to approach with it and if the opponent gets hit you grab, and then the leaves hit and you proceed to throw.

I sort of wonder if they hit hard enough to knock someone out of your grab and allow for a regrab? Can't confirm that yet though.
Playing the demo I too share this use for the Leaf Shield. It's surprisingly effective. And no, the leaves don't hit hard enough to knock them out of your grab.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but I was just playing the demo, and I Top Spinned through an exploding Party Ball. Took no damage and the animation was uninterrupted. Does it give invincibility frames, just like in MM3?

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but I was just playing the demo, and I Top Spinned through an exploding Party Ball. Took no damage and the animation was uninterrupted. Does it give invincibility frames, just like in MM3?
I'm not sure. I'd have to test that

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

It says in the Tips menu that you can do that. :p

Still I don't find it to be that effective. To be honest I have found any use for the Leaf Shield. Granted it helps make grabbing slightly more effective (though not where it counts), but it's just too unsafe, provides no protection (you can shield during it BTW), and does poor damage/little knockback for the amount of lag each part of the move has.

Both the Skull/Plant Barrier don't sound that great, but they do sound slightly more useful due to the buffs.

Just tried it myself through sheer luck I got an exploding PB, worked for me as well.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It says in the Tips menu that you can do that. :p

Still I don't find it to be that effective. To be honest I have found any use for the Leaf Shield. Granted it helps make grabbing slightly more effective (though not where it counts), but it's just too unsafe, provides no protection (you can shield during it BTW), and does poor damage/little knockback for the amount of lag each part of the move has.

Both the Skull/Plant Barrier don't sound that great, but they do sound slightly more useful due to the buffs.
Wish we could get the Jewel Satellite, and have it be just as good as it was in 9.

I haven't found a real use for the Leaf Shield either. Too slow putting it up, and the protection it offers isn't that helpful.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the Smash demo and played A LOT of Mega Man because he is one character I'm planing to main. I want to share what I've tested so far and my impressions (some of this has probably been said already).

Mega is a character of zoning and pressure. You'll want to be medium range from your opponents all the time. You have to keep your distance, poke, then approach o pivot ftilt away to catch your opponent's approach/roll/etc. You don't need to roll much just pivot ftilt or sideB. Mega Man is a great character, but very different from the rest of the cast.

Pellet game.
Jab/Filt is an excellent poking tool. You'll want to Pivot Ftilt a lot with Mega... Is too good. If you feel you are too close to your opponent, Pivot Ftilt away or jump away (Nair, jab and Ftilit are part of the same pellet combo. You can jump away if you feel you're in danger). If a pellet damages the opponet and you are close enough, you can stop the jab combo and buffer a grab/running grab. The pellet hitstun is enough for you to approach with the grab/running grab.
It's kind of tricky to learn at first and you should learn the grab distance to prevent openings. Pellets are an excellent way to defend yourself from enemy's proyectiles, you can destroy things like Mario's Fireballs, Links boomerang and arrows, Pikachu's thundershock, and Villager's rocket thing.

Metal Blading.
Metal blade is an excellent tool to punish, gimp and disturb your opponent. You can't throw a new MB if there is one on the screen. The Metal Blade lasts around 1.3 seconds in the air before disappearing, after that you can throw a new one... If you learn to time it well, you can keep spamming MB.
You usually use MB when you are not close enough or when your opponent is about to land to force them to air dogde near ground or disturb the teching (if the MB hits even better). After a dash attack or Dtilt your opponent falls in an arch to the ground, that is a good moment to throw a MB in front of you... or if you read a jump diagonally upwards.

Crash Bomber.
You'll prefer to throw MBs, but you can CB after a MB or if you cant throw MBs because one is stuck somewhere on the stage, etc. Its a got move to pivot and keep your distance. You can plant one on the edge when you are recovering to force your opponent to be careful with his edgeguard.

Leaf Shield.
IMO not very useful. Is good to rack damage while grabbing. After 3.5 seconds the shield disappear if you dont throw it. If you position yourself over the edge, the shield covers it so if somebody is going to grab the edge could be hit by a leaf instead (not a big deal, they'll grab the edge after that anyways). The shield have a lot of startup, personally I dont like the move. Maybe the custom ones are better in some way.

Grabs.
DThrow is good for follow ups. At low percentages you can:
  • dthrow to Fair (if your opponent keeps air dodging after dthrow, Nair instead and the pellets will hit).
  • dthrow to Bair (its tricky to do but is a nice 17%... Buffer back during the throw and after Mega puts his foot on the ground, jump and attack the opponent).
At higher percentages you can throw a MB diagonally upwards to chase the enemy after a dthrow.
Up throw is good if you want to try a kill with Uair.
At high percentages, if you Fthrow your opponent away of the stage (near the edge) you can throw a MB diagonally upwards to disturb your enemie's second jump.
Bthrow deals a sweet 11%, follow it with a MB to keep preassure before you approach.

Edguarding and edgeplay.
MB to gimp, except diagonally downwards (you could help them recover instead).
Dtilt sticks to the edge and if you hit with the last part of the move, you send your opponent in a 40º arc.
Even dash attack is good to edgeguard.
Utilt is good for edgeguards and is an excellent killing move. Plus if you use it to edguard you'll fall and grab the edge skipping the terrible ending lag of the move. The opponent wont be able to punish you if you miss.
When you trump someone off the edge, press down > jump > bair. Bair is super quick and excellent to kill at higher percentages.
If you grab the edge and someone is waiting you on stage, you can drop the edge > jump > Fair onto the stage.
You can drop the edge > jump > walljump > bair too. I've only tested this on Omega Battlefield because of obvious reasons.
Dair is really good to spike, but is tricky to land the hit.
Fair is great after grab releases near the edge, to chase the opponent off stage.
Both MB and CB can be used to prevent gimps when you are coming back to stage.

Fsmash's range is really good for edgeguarding.
Upsmash is very good for edgeguarding too and racks good damage if chained at low percentages.

Rush Coil.
Use it not only to recover. Rush is an excellent way to escape if you leave yourself open. Like when you Dtilt or Dash Attack and you opponent shields... When the move ends behind the enemy you'll want to rush coil away.
Rush Cancel is an interesting find by VGBootCamp's guys. I've been able to escape things like jabs, dthrows and multihits moves that could kill me in the moment. When you get caught in a move like Link's Spin Attack in the air, spam UpB to Rush Coil out of it.

Note: Pivot = Turnaround Cancel (some people call it like that)... And sorry for the WallOfText xD

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Does it? Forgive me, I don't normally go into the "help" menus in any game. :p

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Just a quick summary of stuff I've found so far as of 14/09/14
  • You can greatly reduce the recovery time of dtilt by inputting an action (dash, pellet, shield, jump etc) as MM begins to rise from his crouching position
  • Spindash is great at punishing moves with slow startup
  • Spindash recovery can be linked into utilt (*I need explore this more)
  • bair can be used to hit opponents in front of MM by short hopping backwards and pressing forward + A quickly (don't know the technical term for this)
  • You can use spindash to transfer a crash bomb back onto an opponent
  • Spindash, side+B and pellets are all great at wearing down shields
  • You can “sweetspot” by hitting with the tip of MM’s buster to cause smashdamage/knockdown state both on the ground and in the air.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just a quick summary of stuff I've found so far as of 14/09/14
  • You can greatly reduce the recovery time of dtilt by inputting an action (dash, pellet, shield, jump etc) as MM begins to rise from his crouching position
  • Spindash is great at punishing moves with slow startup
  • Spindash recovery can be linked into utilt (*I need explore this more)
  • bair can be used to hit opponents in front of MM by short hopping backwards and pressing forward + A quickly (don't know the technical term for this)
  • You can use spindash to transfer a crash bomb back onto an opponent
  • Spindash, side+B and pellets are all great at wearing down shields
  • You can “sweetspot” by hitting with the tip of MM’s buster to cause smashdamage/knockdown state both on the ground and in the air.
Point 1: So his slide has IASA frames...
Point 4: I think the term is Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR).

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I've been playing the Smash demo and played A LOT of Mega Man because he is one character I'm planing to main. I want to share what I've tested so far and my impressions (some of this has probably been said already).

Mega is a character of zoning and pressure. You'll want to be medium range from your opponents all the time. You have to keep your distance, poke, then approach o pivot ftilt away to catch your opponent's approach/roll/etc. You don't need to roll much just pivot ftilt or sideB. Mega Man is a great character, but very different from the rest of the cast.

Pellet game.
Jab/Filt is an excellent poking tool. You'll want to Pivot Ftilt a lot with Mega... Is too good. If you feel you are too close to your opponent, Pivot Ftilt away or jump away (Nair, jab and Ftilit are part of the same pellet combo. You can jump away if you feel you're in danger). If a pellet damages the opponet and you are close enough, you can stop the jab combo and buffer a grab/running grab. The pellet hitstun is enough for you to approach with the grab/running grab.
It's kind of tricky to learn at first and you should learn the grab distance to prevent openings. Pellets are an excellent way to defend yourself from enemy's proyectiles, you can destroy things like Mario's Fireballs, Links boomerang and arrows, Pikachu's thundershock, and Villager's rocket thing.

Metal Blading.
Metal blade is an excellent tool to punish, gimp and disturb your opponent. You can't throw a new MB if there is one on the screen. The Metal Blade lasts around 1.3 seconds in the air before disappearing, after that you can throw a new one... If you learn to time it well, you can keep spamming MB.
You usually use MB when you are not close enough or when your opponent is about to land to force them to air dogde near ground or disturb the teching (if the MB hits even better). After a dash attack or Dtilt your opponent falls in an arch to the ground, that is a good moment to throw a MB in front of you... or if you read a jump diagonally upwards.

Crash Bomber.
You'll prefer to throw MBs, but you can CB after a MB or if you cant throw MBs because one is stuck somewhere on the stage, etc. Its a got move to pivot and keep your distance. You can plant one on the edge when you are recovering to force your opponent to be careful with his edgeguard.

Leaf Shield.
IMO not very useful. Is good to rack damage while grabbing. After 3.5 seconds the shield disappear if you dont throw it. If you position yourself over the edge, the shield covers it so if somebody is going to grab the edge could be hit by a leaf instead (not a big deal, they'll grab the edge after that anyways). The shield have a lot of startup, personally I dont like the move. Maybe the custom ones are better in some way.

Grabs.
DThrow is good for follow ups. At low percentages you can:
  • dthrow to Fair (if your opponent keeps air dodging after dthrow, Nair instead and the pellets will hit).
  • dthrow to Bair (its tricky to do but is a nice 17%... Buffer back during the throw and after Mega puts his foot on the ground, jump and attack the opponent).
At higher percentages you can throw a MB diagonally upwards to chase the enemy after a dthrow.
Up throw is good if you want to try a kill with Uair.
At high percentages, if you Fthrow your opponent away of the stage (near the edge) you can throw a MB diagonally upwards to disturb your enemie's second jump.
Bthrow deals a sweet 11%, follow it with a MB to keep preassure before you approach.

Edguarding and edgeplay.
MB to gimp, except diagonally downwards (you could help them recover instead).
Dtilt sticks to the edge and if you hit with the last part of the move, you send your opponent in a 40º arc.
Even dash attack is good to edgeguard.
Utilt is good for edgeguards and is an excellent killing move. Plus if you use it to edguard you'll fall and grab the edge skipping the terrible ending lag of the move. The opponent wont be able to punish you if you miss.
When you trump someone off the edge, press down > jump > bair. Bair is super quick and excellent to kill at higher percentages.
If you grab the edge and someone is waiting you on stage, you can drop the edge > jump > Fair onto the stage.
You can drop the edge > jump > walljump > bair too. I've only tested this on Omega Battlefield because of obvious reasons.
Dair is really good to spike, but is tricky to land the hit.
Fair is great after grab releases near the edge, to chase the opponent off stage.
Both MB and CB can be used to prevent gimps when you are coming back to stage.

Fsmash's range is really good for edgeguarding.
Upsmash is very good for edgeguarding too and racks good damage if chained at low percentages.

Rush Coil.
Use it not only to recover. Rush is an excellent way to escape if you leave yourself open. Like when you Dtilt or Dash Attack and you opponent shields... When the move ends behind the enemy you'll want to rush coil away.
Rush Cancel is an interesting find by VGBootCamp's guys. I've been able to escape things like jabs, dthrows and multihits moves that could kill me in the moment. When you get caught in a move like Link's Spin Attack in the air, spam UpB to Rush Coil out of it.

Note: Pivot = Turnaround Cancel (some people call it like that)... And sorry for the WallOfText xD
This is a good observation. And rush cancelling I think will be a big part of Mega Man's game because of how often it can be used efficiently. Pivoting in general is also really helpful. Pivot pellets and f-smash as well.
I'm going to try and make good use of these mechanics; so far, Mega Man is looking pretty good.

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Good use of MM's peculiar jump makes his already excellent aerials even more deadly. Jump back fair FTW!

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
I've had good success (and not just against CPUs) by using Megaman's fair kind of like Jigglypuff's fair/bair and Marth's Melee fair. While it doesn't do much knockback, it is a good way to get the opponent off-stage since you can almost chain it quite often with good tech chasing. I managed to pull of fair>dair against someone at medium percentage but it isn't reliable.

Leaf Shield is very underpowered, and the 2 variations of it are much better since the shield isn't really suited for offense. You can however use picked-up Metal Blades while having it around you, and this is a good way to mindgame your opponent. Just throw the metal blade at the opponent at close-medium range. If they shield it or get hit just run up and get a free grab. If they sidestep or roll you can still grab them if you time it right.
Only problem is if they try to jump, in which case You should try and time your Metal Blade so it hits them before they manage to jump high enough. Short hopping before you throw the blade is good since with good enough timing, you can stop their jump, but then they can crouch. To sum it up: It isn't very practical, but you can pull of some mindgames using blade+shield IMO.

And yes Link can wreck Megaman since you'll primarily have to rely on your aerials and smashes, but his range is usually superior to yours, and he can spam his projectiles at you (unless you put up Leaf Shield, which isn't 100% reliable and doesn't put you in a good position).

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I'm actually having some success with Mega Man's u-tilt and d-tilt. While u-tilt has atrocious, it's a very reliable kill move and I feel that u-tilt out of shield/spot dodge is an okay option if they did something laggy direct in front of you. It kills at good percentages.

For d-tilt, it's a move that can catch an opponent off guard if they 're throwing out a move or recklessly trying to get past you pellets. Great for catching someone mid-roll too. Short hopping n-air backward and then d-tilt on landing when they chase might prove very useful. I'm only playing the demo against CPUs so far but, but I'll be sure to try this when I play against a human opponent to see how well this works.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And yes Link can wreck Megaman since you'll primarily have to rely on your aerials and smashes, but his range is usually superior to yours, and he can spam his projectiles at you (unless you put up Leaf Shield, which isn't 100% reliable and doesn't put you in a good position).
Took me a while to get the hand of fighting Lvl 9 Link, basically just spam the Metal Blade as needed. Throwing it backwards has gotten me out of a lot of situations.

The Mega Buster is also good at beating projectiles, just F-Tilt to get past Mario's Fireballs/Pikachu's Thunder Jolt, but I don't think it's as reliable.

The Loid Rocket will explode if destroyed with Crash Bombs/Metal Blade, so be careful when following up. Thankfully there is no hitbox (probably needs more testing, but regardless) before it starts moving and has fair ending lag so it's easy to punish.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I just got the demo. First impressions on Mega Man? Well.... instant main. I don't know, he just feels SO good to play as! MAN I love this character! So looking forward to the full version when I can be him in Smash Run, Classic, etc.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom