• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

we super-sure this aint a port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
The lack of info makes me think it isn't just a glorified port actually. That's just now how you do a reveal for a port. Building up all that hype only to reveal weeks later that it's not a new game would quite simply be a PR disaster.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The lack of info makes me think it isn't just a glorified port actually. That's just now how you do a reveal for a port. Building up all that hype only to reveal weeks later that it's not a new game would quite simply be a PR disaster.
completely true, literally most people think it's a new game now, if it wasn't they wouldn't have revealed that way and they would've clarified by now

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
When did people's definitions of "port" get so weird? Like, is Tropical Freeze a port of DKC: Returns? I feel like that game is as similar to DKC:R as Splatoon 2 was to Splatoon at launch, but nobody would ever call it a port. It had completely new levels, new characters, new world map, etc. Same goes for tons of franchises. It's super common for full-blown sequels to reuse the engine and various assets, but no one calls those ports or remakes unless it's Smash. I swear if the next Smash has an entirely new set of levels with 10 new characters people will still refuse to call it a new game.
Because no one seems to have told you this. Tropical Freeze released on the Wii U like 3-4 years ago. Tropical Freeze on the Switch is not a port of DKC: Returns, it's a port of Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, lol.

The gameplay in a platformer is literally dictated by what the levels are. If the levels are all new levels, then the game could be considered completely new. In the same way, the gameplay in Smash is based on it's physics + it's characters. If both physics and characters are the same as Smash 4 it could be said that it's a port.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Because no one seems to have told you this. Tropical Freeze released on the Wii U like 3-4 years ago. Tropical Freeze on the Switch is not a port of DKC: Returns, it's a port of Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, lol.

The gameplay in a platformer is literally dictated by what the levels are. If the levels are all new levels, then the game could be considered completely new. In the same way, the gameplay in Smash is based on it's physics + it's characters. If both physics and characters are the same as Smash 4 it could be said that it's a port.

....Dude, read it again and give me even a little credit. Tropical Freeze was a day one purchase for me on Wii U. I was talking about changing definitions of "port" over time, so from context I wasn't talking about Switch release and I said "nobody would call it a port", which clearly wouldn't be true at all if I was.

I asked when people's definition of port changed. I used Tropical Freeze as an example because it had lots of asset reuse, engine reuse, and general art style reuse, but nobody called that a port when it launched. Fast forward to Splatoon 2 and all the sudden despite (at launch) having different (not expanded) level set, a new story, new weapons, new hub, etc people refused to call it a true sequel. Instead they called it a pseudo sequel. Now with Smash I've seen people say that they'll consider it a port even if it has different characters, mechanics, levels, physics, art direction, etc. Pretty much as long as the engine is reused people will consider it a port. This new definition of "port" everyone seems to use now would seem silly even 2 yrs ago.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I think one difference it will have to have that distinguishes it from being a direct port or port-plus is the whole custom stage creator. They couldn't re-use the one from SSB4 because that one relied heavily on the stylus. Also, this makes me very happy because I hated the new stage creator. It was so limited and Brawl had a much better one.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I really hope it's not a port why?

- if it's a port the final smash's will more then likely be the same, some were neutered or made so it would work with the 3ds.

- 3ds imo held the wii u version back, character(ice climbers) had to be cut, smashes had to work on both consoles so it limited creativity, the 3ds limited the things that you could have done if it was not tied to it.

( I liked the 3ds version just thing making thing 100 percent identical was a mistake )

With the switch version a whole lot can be done to make an even better game, and to be honest I would welcome it felling a little different after 3 years of playing the 4th

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I'm hoping it's a new game cause sm4sh was tr4sh with absolutely and I mean absolutely no safe approaches aka safe shield pressure. They can port it but they seriously need to fix that.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm hoping it's a new game cause sm4sh was tr4sh with absolutely and I mean absolutely no safe approaches aka safe shield pressure. They can port it but they seriously need to fix that.
smash 4 defintly was not trash lol

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
smash 4 defintly was not trash lol
That's your opinion. And I agree when it comes to content. But content also becomes tr4sh when you take away the most important things, which are approach options and ways to pressure The Shield safely other than projectiles

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Most likely its own game that is built on Smash 4's engine. We will know for sure once E3 comes around, so sit tight until then.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there hasn't been confirmation yet. General consensus seems to be that it's a new game, but we don't know for sure yet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Most likely its own game that is built on Smash 4's engine. We will know for sure once E3 comes around, so sit tight until then.
Gotcha, I didn't think about E3 coming up so quickly as a chance to advertise the game. It has been dead quiet since the announcement. I am just not sure they have had enough time to develop a new Smash game with higher quality. Yes they could have put something quick together in this time but not a great product.

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Well, i'm not sure if this is a duplicate topic, but it's not addressed on the first page so i'll go ahead with my input.

I think it IS an entirely new game. And I think that it started development right after the last DLC from Smash 4. In other words Sakurai didn't take any time off from working on Smash Bros.. He just kept going. So the development time is actually not much shorter than the time it took to make Brawl or SSB4. But one thing that will HAVE to be different is the custom stage designer function. There's no more stylus on Switch and it's generally less focused on any touchscreen functionality. So we might se a resurrection of Brawl's stage builder.

Also, I do like the idea of keeping all the characters that were in SSB4. Even if they DON'T have alternate B-moves. in fact, I think they could scrap the whole custom B-moves.

Last edited:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Like a lot of people say, it might be a situation like Splatoon 2 where they used a lot of assets from the first game and build on that (i think?). IF that is the case then it's good news cause we might not have to lose any characters :D I hope..

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No-one's mentioned Mario Tennis Aces? That game is clearly built off Ultra Smash, the last minute Wii U filler, but it's added so much stuff that it's basically a new game. Mechanics, designs, game modes etc. have all been added or revised. I imagine that'll be the case for Smash Switch. All Smash games after Melee built off their predecessor but were considered their own games. You wouldn't call Smash 4 a Brawl port (although you might disparagingly call it Brawl 2.0) despite most of Brawl still being in there. They've had 2 years dev time, you don't need that much time for a port.

Really, the only reason people think it's so likely to be a port is because everyone assumes everything is being ported to the Switch. Remember when we were getting a Splatoon 1 port? Or a Smash port to be unveiled at the NX release? Or a Xenoblade Chronicles X port?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm not sensing a full-on port personally.

Why not a full-on port? I feel like we would have been told this straight-up by now, and the amount of suspense and mystery in the little trailer would have been 100% unnecessary for a simple port. Furthermore, since when was a lack of info a clear indication that it's clearly a port? Lol, I don't get that logic at all and would argue the opposite. I feel like an indication of a direct port would have resulted in a much more underwhelming announcement with a lot more info given similar to that of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8's port announcements for the Switch. "By the way, here's Smash for Wii U/3DS for the Switch, we've changed this, this and this, it will be releasing on X date, have fun". But no, we got a trailer shrouded in mystery, including a few pretty major character model changes (albeit taunted and flaunted through the shadows, making it more likely encompassing new, polished character models).

I'm sure we'll see similarities to Smash 4 just like Smash 4 saw similarities from Brawl, but I don't think we're simply getting a regurgitated Smash 4 port, that's for sure. After all, there is no reason to start from scratch every single time for a game like Smash Bros. The foundation of previous games can be used as building blocks to provide a brand new experience. After all, would you call Smash 4 a Brawl port? I think the majority would not.

Furthermore, it will have been 4 years (longer if you include the 3DS version) since Smash 4 released by the time this game is ready for gold. That is more than enough time to build onto the foundation of Smash 4 and create a new and polished experience.

Of course, the cynic would say that the fact that we haven't received any info could just as easily say that all of the above is wrong and wishful thinking, and while that could be true, it's really doubtful given the secrecy behind the title thus far. If we do not see any real info before E3, I think it's pretty safe to say that this is probably a new instalment, albeit built upon what Smash 4 did well with a few new quirks thrown in for hype.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm honestly kind of weirded out that this is still even a discussion.

You don't develop a port for two whole years. Yes, skepticism is always healthy and we can't always be cartain of most things, but unless your definition of "port" is so freakishly wide that the word doesn't mean anything anymore, expecting this game to be a port just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

Why would they even throw a teaser for a mere port? Why not announce it with gameplay footage? Why would a game even take so long to be ported in the first place?

I've seen people saying that we don't have enough information to know for sure if this is or isn't a new game. And I mean sure, technically we can't freaking know anything with complete certainty unless it's outright stated. But why not look at the information we do have? Such as the fact that this game has most likely been in development for at least a couple of years?

Two years, and we're still potentially almost a year away from release (Okay, closer to half a year now, but you get my point).

No port takes that long to be created.

A new Smash Bros game does, though!

Seriously, there's a ton of reasons to believe that this is a new game. The only reason to think that this is a port, though, is pre-conceived expectations.

So yes, while I can't say it's a fact with 100% certainty, I do think a new game is by far the most likely scenario. I'm super-sure this ain't a port.

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
you show off new games. you update with ****ing something from new games. you at the very least show off the core 8 characters in new games. smash 4's announce trailer showed us what all of the core fighters looked like as well as a stage or two.

we have literally nothing. we don't even know what mario looks like. ****ing mario. and we have no ****ing idea if we're even gonna get new info before e3, y'know, before a ****ing tournament occurs live on-stage at one of the biggest electronics shows in the world.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
you show off new games. you update with ****ing something from new games. you at the very least show off the core 8 characters in new games. smash 4's announce trailer showed us what all of the core fighters looked like as well as a stage or two.

we have literally nothing. we don't even know what mario looks like. ****ing mario. and we have no ****ing idea if we're even gonna get new info before e3, y'know, before a ****ing tournament occurs live on-stage at one of the biggest electronics shows in the world.
Pikmin 4. No details shown off. Must be a port.
Metroid Prime 4. No details shown off. Must be a port.
Pokemon Switch (Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.
Fire Emblem Switch (Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.

Or... Your argument is not sensible.

Let's not forget, there was a tournament for Brawl before anyone had the chance to play that game. The tournament isn't to show the best, high level play of the game possible. It's to draw attention by having the most popular Smashers with the most followers on stage together, being watched by their collective audiences, thus providing more easy publicity to the game.

Sakurai wound up being overly stressed by the Post of the Day cycle for Smash 4. He likely doesn't want to repeat the "steady stream of data" that he did for that game. The early reveal also had numerous other problems. It made it harder to keep secrets, and it meant that fake leakers had a lot more time to work on their projects.

The short delay from reveal to presentation also isn't any indication. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was revealed very close to its release date. Close enough that people said that there was no way that it was still going to come out 2017, and that it would be delayed to mid-2018 at least. But...it released on time.

In short, no, the fact that Nintendo has changed their marketing strategy is in no way indicative of whether or not this game is a port.

I am wondering whether this game will pull more from its predecessors than previous games in the series have, though. Because, typically, new games have about three new stages for every returning stage, and each new game has had close to 25% more stages than its direct predecessor. This would put as at about 70 stages, with about 20 returning stages. But considering how many stages that would leave out, I'd like to see more total stages, with a lot more old ones brought back.

Khao

Smash Lord

They showed a simple teaser to let us know that the game's coming. Just like they did with Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime and many others. This argument doesn't favor your point, there's no reason to create teasers with minimal info for anything but new products. When was the last time Nintendo made a brand-new, high-quality CGI teaser for the re-release of a previous, somewhat recent game?

Could you provide a single sensible reason as to why they'd be so secretive about a mere port?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"b-b-but guys!, it has to be a port!, it's not like the trailer was set up in such a way that basically showcases as if it was a new game! and it's not like every other NIntendo Switch port was confirmed to be a port right off the bat like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Pokkén, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze and others!"

Seriously people that think the new game is a port are not delusional, they are ignorant and don't do research that points to this beign a brand new game.

"THERE'S BARELY ANY TIME TO DEVELOP A NEW SMASH GAME 1111!11!"

.....even though Smash games don't take more time than 2 and a half years AT MOST. Not only that, but this game doesn't have to bother with other issues that pleagued the development of other Smash games:
-Smash 64 had little budget and few people working on it. If the "Smash 6" job listing is any indication (and this was tracked all the way to Namco Bandai themselves, so this isn't fake) this is not the case.
-Smash Switch likely doesn't have the same overly ambitious Subspace Emisary that hindered the game's development and it's unlikely as hell that a Sonic situation will ever happen (Sonic was always meant to be in Brawl, but SEGA said no and then changed their minds after seeing his demand and then was added late in development, which caused Brawl to be delayed)
-Smash Switch will be released on only one console instead of two, and that will likely will mean that there will be no worries about making exclusive content for each versions (and conversely making sure that there are not any roster differences between versions no matter the cost)

The only problem that i can see is maybe the release window for the game which is similar to Melee. However i firmly believe that there's a lot more people working on this game than in Melee, so i dobut that will be an issue.

Before you ask, yes i firmly think that Namco Bandai will help out on this game too, there's no reason to not have them on board again, and before you say anything, Smash Bros 4 did not have their name on the Copyright section until Pac-Man was confirmed, every other trailer before hand only included the companies who had their characters confirmed playable in the game (hell, so the copyright notice doesn't even have SORA on it, it only credited Nintendo and Hal because of them beign behind the first game) so the copyright notice at the end of Smash Switch is completely meaningless.

"IT'S BARELY BEEN 2 YEARS SINCE SMASH 4'S DLC ENDED!"

The time gap doesn't matter, futhermore that's only if you count the DLC and the resources that were used for DLC were likely nowhere as expensive and time-consuming as the Base game (unless you tell me that 7 character take more time than 51 characters, over 40 stages between both versions, multiple modes and other stuff) if we go by the release of the base game, it's been 4 years, no ifs and buts.

The reason as to why the gap (THE BASE GAME GAP, not the gap between DLC and Smash Switch) between Smash 4 and Switch is smaller compared to Brawl and 4 is because of the Wii U flopping (mediocre marketing, no third party support and barely any games until it was too late) and one of the main reasons was because there not enough good, important and big-name Nintendo games and the fact that Smash is beign released this year is proof that they want to fix that (nevermind how Mario was released on the first year of the Console and Breath of the Wild was given the TP treatment to make sure the Switch has a Big Game on Launch) and every single important Nintendo IP that has gotten a new game has been released from a year or even much less (BoTW is an outlier)

TL;DR the Wii U failed, and its time in the sun was cut short because of it, they moved to a new system that didn't have the same stigma as the Wii U and fix every single issue the previous console has (easier to understand dev kit which leads to better 3rd party support, better marketing, and most importantly, more NINTENDO GAMES a the every beggining of the console's release and good release schedule momentum) and Smash Switch is one of them.

Furthermore if this was a port, why hold it back? There's no goddamn reason to hold back a Smash 4 port for this long. No amount of extra character or extra modes or stages will make it release anywhere after early 2017, because a port of Smash 4 for the Switch would have the same amount of urgency as Mario Kart 8, which was released barely a month after the Switch's launch.

Either you add some fancy new things and release it a soon as possible and make it clear that is a port (instead of doing a CGI trailer and not even showing gameplay despite the game beign BASICALLY COMPLETE) or make a new game from scratch and take your time, and 2 years (maybe even more if that Smash 6 job listing is any indication) is enough.

Had the Wii U been successful and sold a lot of units, it would have lasted longer and the time gap between Smash 4 and Switch would be much Longer.

"IT'S GONNA BE RELEASED THIS YEAR EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ANNOUNCED THIS YEAR"!

.....and? this is a non-argument. They could have announced any moment they wanted (like when they announced a new Smash game in 2011 before Smash 4 even started development) and wouldn't make a difference. Not only that but nowadays, Nintendo announces games and releases them in much shorter time gaps.

Mario Odyssey was only released in 1 year and 7 days after beign teased in the Switch's reveal, FE Warriors was revealed in January and then released in September, Kirby Star Allies was revealed at E3 2017 and released on March of 2018, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was revelaed at E3 and everybody got on the delay Bandwagon, only to be released on time on December of 2017.

See a patern here? Nintendo learned from the Wii U era that having big droughts and revealing games years before they are released on the system is not a good idea, and instead develops them in background, announces them when they are close to completion, and releases them on that set date.

The only exceptions are games like Pokémon, FE Switch (which by the time they release it it will have taken more than a year and a half, which makes it the only non-BoTW game that took more than a year and a half to be released after the reveal) and Metroid Prime 4. Pokémon and Fire Emblem did not even had CGI trailers, and MP4 is likely gonna be much harder game to develop than Smash (and please stop pretending that Smash is this Super-resource-expensive Triple AAA game that takes years to make)

I already mentioned that Smash games don't take that much of development time and the only reason why Brawl was delayed was because of external reasons. Smash has been likely in development since 2016 (and don't tell me the DLC stopped that from happening, it's likely that a minor fraction of the Smash team focused on the DLC with Sakurai, then Sakurai took a break for a while and returned to help later in Smash Switch)

"NO INFO HAS BEEN RELEASED YET"

Except there's info, and everything impli-no, it basically CONFIRMS that it is a new game.

-Showcases a CGI trailer, and all games that do that is because they are brand new games and not ports (when has a company ever been so stupid to waste animation budget for a port when they could just show gameplay like literally every other port)
-Doesn't even reveal the title of the game (what is the downside of Calling a Smash Switch port "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch"?)
-As mentioned earlier (and futher examplified by Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ) every single other port has been fimly stated and SHOWN to be ports witouth any dobut. What makes Smash so diferent? extra content? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had extra content and it still made it clear it was a port day 1, and so did Tropical Freeze (new playable character), TWEWY (new story section), Pokkén (new fighter) , etc, etc. Also if you were to make so much more new content and make so many changes (like making Link have his BoTW, and Zelda WILL also have this change) why you dont', uhh i don't know, MAKE A NEW GAME? Doing all this extra content will leave you on this akward middleground. Too much time wasted on a port, and not enought content for it to be a new game.

And no don't give me the Suprise Factor. Don't you know that would basically be misleading at best and insulting at worst?
What kind of company that is going to release a port would:
-mislead people into believing is a new game by showcasing a trailer with a TENTATIVE TITLE and no gameplay? Hell we didn't even heard Smash 4's main theme (and the supposed music on the background does not sound like the Smash 4 title in the slightlest)
-never state that is a port of a game when they made it perfectly clear in other games (im going to state this until it's stuck on your brain). Hell they basically stated "this game from a previous console is coming to the Switch" whenever a Switch port is announced. There's no excuse, reason, justification or circumstance for Smash to be treated differently.
-Sakurai stated on his Twitter account that he has been working on silence, day after day............for a port? that's just not right. Sakurai would work hard for a new game, not a port, and no i dobut giving Link a BoTW look and including Inklings is "working day after day", because that statement basically says that he is working on something much greater.

Does it make it look like im repeating my points too much? well that's because every single port-bandwagoner has bought these same points all the time and always end their argument with the "we don't know yet!" because they don't have true actual talking points, and the fact they use the "we don't know" argument is telling me that they don't even know what they are talking about and instead follow the port rumor bandwagon, even though most rumor-mongers that have stated this have never updated on the matter, have been proven to be unrelieable on the past and so on. It's a new game, period.

Anyway, E3 is coming soon and that will be definitve proof, and i can't wait for E3 to come in and showcase a last-minute port of Smash 4 with 1 or 2 new single characters and barely any new content whatsoever, and of course everybody will super hyped!

....that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. I mean for what i have seen, Sakurai could come in and hold a giant light neon sign that states "Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch is a new game and NOT a port" and some people would STILL believe that is a port, so i wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't tell sarcasm.

Also, to the people that state Splatoon 2 used assets from the first game are wrong, they built them from scratch.

For Splatoon 2, the shading mechanism has been totally changed. Thanks to this, gear texture quality is significantly improved.

The team intentionally kept the general look from the original since that was one of the things people loved. However, because of this, people may think they just ported over existing assets from the original to Splatoon 2. In actuality, all graphical aspects and programming mechanisms have been built up from scratch.
So please stop comparing Smash Switch to Splatoon 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
hey so my response made the thing break so i'm just putting my thingy in ****ing spoilers cause otherwise this is gonna be a eight-page long thing. click if you ~dare~
lol who tf cares about pikmin still, same game for three iterations now along with some bad gimmick on the 3ds, be surprised if that ****'s not canned
Metroid Prime 4
. No details shown off. Must be a port.
retro gonna retro, don't think they're known for leaks though prime 4 is also prolly super early in dev since ninty had to ****ing beg retro to go back to it. also fans were about to ****ing burn ninty HQ to the ground if they got shafted on another console.
Pokemon Switch
(Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.
Prolly in Metroid's boat as far as being super-early. When the best you ****ing have is a dev onscreen going 'no dudes it's totally coming', that's so ****ing early in dev there's not even goddamn concept art
Fire Emblem Switch
(Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.
after fates and few's total failure no one gives a **** about fe anymore. you've got your usual lyn-waifu holdouts but general pop would ****ing riot if a seventh fe character joined up without some cuts overall.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
launch game with nothing but botw to push back against it, and it still beat botw for sales. they knew this was money
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
no one cares about dk anymore which is why we're not gonna see dixie or k.rool unless there's a sudden and ****ing gigantic resurgence.
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
KT pushes the **** out of all of their games, this isn't unusual
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
it was? unless we're talking something different, then idk

Let's not forget, there was a tournament for Brawl before anyone had the chance to play that game. The tournament isn't to show the best, high level play of the game possible. It's to draw attention by having the most popular Smashers with the most followers on stage together, being watched by their collective audiences, thus providing more easy publicity to the game.
we knew what brawl looked like at least. we knew how the characters would look. we knew what a couple stages would look like, and how gameplay might ****ing flow. we have literally none of the above for this ****ing game. there's a difference in going into a game you've never played and going into a game you've never even ****ing seen.

Sakurai wound up being overly stressed by the Post of the Day cycle for Smash 4. He likely doesn't want to repeat the "steady stream of data" that he did for that game. The early reveal also had numerous other problems. It made it harder to keep secrets, and it meant that fake leakers had a lot more time to work on their projects.
fake leakers are gonna make fake leaks no matter ****ing what. see the recent ARMS and IC leak and now the current 'bayo's totes back guys' leak. and i can dig that sakurai's tired from doing daily updates, but, y'know, a single ****ing screenshot would be nice. remember, this game is supposed to come out in, at most, seven months. that's a ****ing alarm bell.

The short delay from reveal to presentation also isn't any indication. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was revealed very close to its release date. Close enough that people said that there was no way that it was still going to come out 2017, and that it would be delayed to mid-2018 at least. But...it released on time.
we had gameplay in that trailer, and we had in-game cutscenes. we knew what the game would look like. we knew a lot more **** about xc2 than we currently do about smash switch. also maybe they shoulda taken that 2018 delay to un**** the game but that might also ~just be me~

In short, no, the fact that Nintendo has changed their marketing strategy is in no way indicative of whether or not this game is a port.
the ****ing silence is deafening, and is screaming that there's something they're really ****ing reluctant to tell us. dunno why, i'd love a port to switch with a bit of extra ****, but everyone here's hinging their hope on a goddamn whole-new experience when, well, it ain't gonna be that. don't get too disappointed when you see smash tour back on the menu.

I am wondering whether this game will pull more from its predecessors than previous games in the series have, though. Because, typically, new games have about three new stages for every returning stage, and each new game has had close to 25% more stages than its direct predecessor. This would put as at about 70 stages, with about 20 returning stages. But considering how many stages that would leave out, I'd like to see more total stages, with a lot more old ones brought back.
vOv

They showed a simple teaser to let us know that the game's coming. Just like they did with Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime and many others. This argument doesn't favor your point, there's no reason to create teasers with minimal info for anything but new products. When was the last time Nintendo made a brand-new, high-quality CGI teaser for the re-release of a previous, somewhat recent game?

Could you provide a single sensible reason as to why they'd be so secretive about a mere port?
prime 4 got announced at the end of the wii u cycle to literally beg customers to give ninty's switch a chance 'cause don't worry guys we're totally being serious about games and look, look, look metroid and pokemon are totes coming! don't put us on pitchforks!

you're seeing ridley's shadow again if you're really thinking this is a fresh and whole-new game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

We simply would have been told if it was a port by now. They've been developing this game the same amount of time they developed the last game. The fact that they haven't told us ANYTHING (no special interviews, no twitter announcements, nothing) is more of a hint to it being a new game; why keep everyone in suspense with NO news, work on it for 2 years, just for it to be a port? By the time the game is released, it'd be roughly 2-2.5 years in development. Certainly it wouldnt take THAT long to move things over and add one or two things.

Your arguments make absolutely no sense. You're invalidating other people's responses with "no one cares about FE and Pikmin anymore". Seriously? Actually have substance in your arguments rather than how you feel. Sakurai doesn't owe you ****.

Last edited:

Aurumai

Smash Rookie
minimal info: simply put, you just don't cloak-and-dagger games like this. yeah you don't want to spill every ****ing bean you've got but turning the tap all the way off just frustrates and confuses fans. you want a nice steady drip so peeps salivate for more. also, a look at the game either with a static image or in-motion would clarify this question right the **** up.
With Smash 4, they started releasing character reveals on a regular basis. I'd be willing to bet they're going to do the exact same thing once they come out and officially announce the game rather than just tease it.

lack of leaks: ey speakin' of minimal info, no leaks yet? seriously? no screens, no rosters, not even a ****ing render of mario? considering brawl and 4 were leaky ****ing ships and even melee got leaked toward the end, how the **** did sakurai suddenly learn to turn into mueller with regard to opsec?
Nintendo has been pretty good about leaks in recent years. If anything, I'd say that minimal info about the game just points to it being a brand new game. Why would they be so vague and secretive about a simple port? I also highly doubt that Nintendo would allow us to think that there's even a slight chance of this being a new game if it weren't. They didn't do this with any other the other ports from the Wii U and I don't see why they would start now. One would think that Nintendo would want to clear this up instantly so fans didn't get the wrong idea and end in disappointment.

impending tournament: so ninty expects people to perform at a tournament level on a game that they've never ****ing played before. on one of the biggest stages in all of electronic entertainment.
They did the exact same thing with Smash 4. They brought PROS in to play and it was plainly obvious that they had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Keep in mind, the people who Nintendo invited to the tournament were mostly Melee Pros. They did this to hype up Smash 4.

Here's another thing: If you honestly believe that this is going to just be another Smash 4, why would Nintendo only just now be bringing the invitational tournament back? Nintendo has an awful track record of supporting tournaments. Why would they wait until this new Smash reveal to suddenly start supporting Smash 4 as a competitive eSport type game now that they're porting it?

I'm telling you, this is no port.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think Nintendo will market it as a new game, and it'll feel like a new game.
But if it's the same team as Smash Wii U developing it, 100% we will see a lot of reused and recycled assets from Smash Wii U.

Which is fine, i'd rather see expansion and growth from the shell/ base of Smash Wii U then something from the ground up.
Mainly because the amount of content that can be included from the use Smash 4's base/ shell is a lot.
If they built from the ground up, this game's content wouldn't be as expansive as it could otherwise be.

Game modes lacked massively in Smash 4.
If there's an adventure mode, classic mode is actually reverted back to a traditional classic mode, online stock, and a few others, the game will be amazing.

Khao

Smash Lord
Khao said:

Prime 4 got announced at the end of the wii u cycle to literally beg customers to give ninty's switch a chance 'cause don't worry guys we're totally being serious about games and look, look, look metroid and pokemon are totes coming! don't put us on pitchforks!

you're seeing ridley's shadow again if you're really thinking this is a fresh and whole-new game.
Sooooooo...

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

enough with the cursing is makes your post not worth taking seriously

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Metroid Prime 4. No details shown off. Must be a port.
Pokemon Switch (Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.
Fire Emblem Switch (Working title). No details shown off. Must be a port.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Tons of details shown off. Must be a new game.

I was on the fence before, but this brings me solidly to the "New Game" side. If there's a pattern to be found, it's a new game. Nintendo doesn't tease and hype up ports.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I am afraid of the middle road: Sm4sh's engine with new content marketed as a new game.

Then this discussion will last until a (proper) Smash game gets announced in the future.

*shudders*

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
One thing is a fact though, Nintendo isnt marketing and hyping it as a port.

My bet is a sequel, or an expansion, built upon the previous game. this mean that core mechanichs changes are posible, slight rendering updates are posible, and physics engine adjustments are posible, but nothing will differ too much from the original, yet it will have enough meat for not being considered a port. and maybe uselss stuff sill be cut or replaced (smash tour anyone?) And it will have more than one exclusive feature and a couple of new content (pokken, dkcTF, MK8).

Safest bet is an entire rework to solo content modes, since it was the weaker part of Smash 4.
at least thats my wish...

Is easier to do ambiscious stuff when you have a solid and polished base game where to build upon.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
One thing is a fact though, Nintendo isnt marketing and hyping it as a port.

My bet is a sequel, or an expansion, built upon the previous game. this mean that core mechanichs changes are posible, slight rendering updates are posible, and physics engine adjustments are posible, but nothing will differ too much from the original, yet it will have enough meat for not being considered a port. and maybe uselss stuff sill be cut or replaced (smash tour anyone?) And it will have more than one exclusive feature and a couple of new content (pokken, dkcTF, MK8).

Safest bet is an entire rework to solo content modes, since it was the weaker part of Smash 4.
at least thats my wish...

Is easier to do ambiscious stuff when you have a solid and polished base game where to build upon.
This I 100% agree. It makes the most sense given the small gap between smash 4's release and smash 5's. It's not like Sakurai to just fatten up a game by adding more content. This is a gonna be a fine tuned smash 4 with enough new content to be it's own game and not a mere port. I really don't think there's any sense in starting from the ground up again anyway given that he created all those resources for smash 4 like 5-7 years ago.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I am afraid of the middle road: Sm4sh's engine with new content marketed as a new game.

Then this discussion will last until a (proper) Smash game gets announced in the future.

*shudders*
A former Bandai Nampo dev confirmed its using a new engine. Also, why does a Smash game need to have all new assets to be considered a “proper” Smash game? What’s wrong with the assets we have now?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A former Bandai Nampo dev confirmed its using a new engine. Also, why does a Smash game need to have all new assets to be considered a “proper” Smash game? What’s wrong with the assets we have now?
They only confirmed it's a new graphics engine, not a new gameplay engine.

Updating the graphics doesn't actually mean anything either way. They did the same with OOT3D and MM3D, but they were still remakes/ports in the same way.

There's more leaning towards it being a new game, but they haven't confirmed anything yet either way. Them still not saying something does point more towards being a new game at this point, though. Kind of silly to not say anything otherwise.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't even know why we're letting this thread be as active as it is. All it is is users asking for tangible evidence and someone in retaliation cursing every sentence.

Let this thread die.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
i aint proven wrong yet homeboy, so chill out with this noise. also, folk in here seem to be thinking i'm talking straight port when i'm actually talking (and i ****ing said this in the OP) port-plus. obviously aint gonna be a straight port 'cause inklings, ****ing DUH. what i'm coming at is folk need to chill out with expecting 10-15 new characters (yeah ive seen the guess-rosters, tf you all smoking?). i'm figuring inklings, maybe an arms kid, and maybe the cut vets, and that's all she wrote.

so when i say port i mean 'smash 4 with some nice **** to boost it to 4.5'. ~*clarifying language*~

now, of ****ing course, because EVERYTHING about this game is ****ing speculation right now 'cause they aint releasing ****, this may be completely ****ing wrong. but right now, it ain't proven wrong, so get this high-and-mighty bull**** out of my face. you don't like the discussion or the tone? feel free to click this: https://smashboards.com/forums/general-discussion.579/ and go find some other thread you'll like

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the moment, the thread has been locked. Discussion about what to do with it is under way. Since it's turned into pointless flaming right now, it's the best temporary solution. Whether or not it will be re-opened is up in the air, so please have patience.

Update: Thread is staying locked. With e3 fast approaching, it serves little purpose now. It's been discussed to death and the thread clearly is not gaining meaningful discussion at this point, just basically the opening poster getting dogpiled about his views. This doesn't make for anything useful. Likewise, the thread is very clearly flame-bait territory with a lack of civility, which makes it impossible to have a reasonable discussion in. Being respectful is a very important rule, and that factor is no longer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom