• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

we super-sure this aint a port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
not gonna be the biggest op in the word and cluttering up the general with this debate seems not-so-good so **** it, independent topic it is. big q in here is whether this **** is actually a port or a truly new game. i'm putting it down that i think it might be somethin' like a port-plus, where it's essentially smash 4.5 (4.75 if you think wiiu is 4.5 but WHAT THE **** EVER).

here's why i'm thinkin' port for this bad boy (also i want an excuse to use the ****ing bullet points):

• minimal info: simply put, you just don't cloak-and-dagger games like this. yeah you don't want to spill every ****ing bean you've got but turning the tap all the way off just frustrates and confuses fans. you want a nice steady drip so peeps salivate for more. also, a look at the game either with a static image or in-motion would clarify this question right the **** up.
  • lack of leaks: ey speakin' of minimal info, no leaks yet? seriously? no screens, no rosters, not even a ****ing render of mario? considering brawl and 4 were leaky ****ing ships and even melee got leaked toward the end, how the **** did sakurai suddenly learn to turn into mueller with regard to opsec? this smells like he has a much smaller team that he can trust and oversee personally, especially given that he's supposedly been working on this **** for years and no one noticed. no one at all. yeah ****ing right.
  • impending tournament: so ninty expects people to perform at a tournament level on a game that they've never ****ing played before. on one of the biggest stages in all of electronic entertainment. at this time of the year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within their kitchen. el oh el, that **** don't fly. especially if core classics like link or mario are going to have revamps such as cappy or botw gear.
  • reveal's too close to release: ****ing this. how the **** are you gonna revamp a game as huge as smash bros with an, at-most, 8-month cycle? yeah, yeah, sakurai's said he's been working ~in the shadows~ over the past couple years but that's also smelling of bull****. he has a smaller team because of the aforementioned leak control he's demonstrated, and a quasi-year long dev cycle sounds right for a port to a system infrastructure that everyone there, sakurai included, should be reasonably familiar with.

now that ****ing said, i am not saying that it being a port is bad, but i was figuring that **** might be hitting the hyperdrive as far as speculation and i'm just putting this out there so folk realize that there might be some **** round the corner. welp, that's me.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Overall most of your points are the ones I've seen in favor of port (or port plus) and can't really be argued for or against until we get more information. Not really important, but I think it's a port plus, and I actually think that's better for the game considering the quick turn around.

One thing though that I've seen with not just you but other people, is the confusion about the tournament. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the same thing happen with Smash Wii U's invitational? Like yes there was game play shown beforehand but none of those people had played the game before, just like this time, so how is that different? If your just referring to game play not being shown yet then your third point is misleading.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
  • minimal info: simply put, you just don't cloak-and-dagger games like this. yeah you don't want to spill every ****ing bean you've got but turning the tap all the way off just frustrates and confuses fans. you want a nice steady drip so peeps salivate for more. also, a look at the game either with a static image or in-motion would clarify this question right the **** up.
  • lack of leaks: ey speakin' of minimal info, no leaks yet? seriously? no screens, no rosters, not even a ****ing render of mario? considering brawl and 4 were leaky ****ing ships and even melee got leaked toward the end, how the **** did sakurai suddenly learn to turn into mueller with regard to opsec? this smells like he has a much smaller team that he can trust and oversee personally, especially given that he's supposedly been working on this **** for years and no one noticed. no one at all. yeah ****ing right.
These could go either way. For or against port/new game.

• impending tournament: so ninty expects people to perform at a tournament level on a game that they've never ****ing played before. on one of the biggest stages in all of electronic entertainment. at this time of the year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within their kitchen. el oh el, that **** don't fly. especially if core classics like link or mario are going to have revamps such as cappy or botw gear.
Happened in the last invitational (and I believe it also happened with ARMS, I could be wrong). Nintendo doesn't want people to perform well, they just want fans to look at their "idols" play. The point is the promotion and the coverage, not the coolness.

• reveal's too close to release: ****ing this. how the **** are you gonna revamp a game as huge as smash bros with an, at-most, 8-month cycle? yeah, yeah, sakurai's said he's been working ~in the shadows~ over the past couple years but that's also smelling of bull****. he has a smaller team because of the aforementioned leak control he's demonstrated, and a quasi-year long dev cycle sounds right for a port to a system infrastructure that everyone there, sakurai included, should be reasonably familiar with.
There were job postings back in 2014 from Bandai Namco and in 2015 from Nintendo looking for people to work on "Smash 5". Back then we all assumed it was for DLC (because no one wanted to believe it was "the next game"), but I think looking back (hindsight 20/20) it was literally looking for more people to work on this. So yes, this game's development has been in the shadows for a while.

I will say though. No game developer will just finish making a game to throw it aside the very second they are done with it and start working on another one. It is almost painfully obviously the case that Smash 4's data was used to make Smash Switch which makes this game into a port. No one would just work 3-4 years on data, to start from scratch as soon as they are done to repeat the exact same work they just did.

Now since development of this game has been going on for quite some time (2 years or more I assume) then that means that this game will in fact have more content and many changes. And no character is safe from being "cut" as I would say the hardest part of making characters now that the roster is up to 60+ chars is definitely balancing them.

So I would say at this point it is more a battle of semantics whether this game is a port or a new game to you. What would make it a new game for you? How many newcomers? How much should the physics change? How many cuts? It's literally opinions and subjectivity.

This game is almost undoubtedly a port that was just developed much further and now has so many changes that could be considered it's own game. It's what we see with many fighting games with "Ultra", "Arcade Edition", etc, only Smash will be much more different than those ones were.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
There's literally zero information allowing us to say if it's a port or a new game. The only thing we know is that it'll be released this year, that this game has been in development since 2016, and Link has a costume from BotW (or a new character?), which would make him right-handed normally. And obviously the Inklings.
What I think now is that this game has been under work for two years, just two years after Smash 4 (and only a few months after DLC). It's not unreasonnable to think that it could be a Smash For +. However, why didn't they simply name it Smash Bros for Switch instead of having a working title? And why didn't they simply confirm that it was a port?
This is an old argument that everyone uses, but it's true that it's a strange idea coming from Nintendo to not simply say that it's a port.
What we'll probably get is a super port. Like Raykz just said above, it started as a port, then eventually grow to be considered a new game.

We know nothing, but we want to speculate, so we will speculate.
The problem that makes me scratch my head is that, indeed, we have really nothing. No Mario Render, no stage, no gameplay, nothing. And this game is supposed to be released this year.

Not that I dislike that. I love being left in the dark.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
We need to see more info.

But if you asked me personally I think it is a 4.5 port.

Main reason is time between the past game and now and that the release of this year seems really soon.

I think of it as splatoon 2, not a huge huge update but adds a lot onto the original.

I could be wrong, who knows but E3 wil clear a lot of this up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If I was going to make a bet, it's probably going to be a Splatoon 2 style "new" game rather than an enhanced port like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or a dry port like DKC: Tropical Freeze. "New" is a term that can be used very loosely, especially went the 3DS & Wii U versions were each considered individual games by the developers.

If the game is coming out this year then what we see at E3 will be nearly finished and ready to bug test. Bug testing itself takes several months, and in addition, there is usually there is at least a 1-2 month waiting period after the game goes gold. Ex. Uprising went gold in January, but released in March.

Nintendo/Sakurai put way too money into Smash 4's development to completely start anew two years after development ended (plus both Brawl/4 themselves reused a lot of assets anyway). Smash Wii U sold less than 64 after all. Plus a large chunk of the money probably went to Bandai Namco who likely did most of the heavy lifting. Though none of this is to say that Smash Wii U wasn't a financial success.

We know the game started development sometime in 2016 but we don't know the exact starting month, the development team, and it's size. All we know is that this game was under development by late Fall 2016, which gives it at least a 1.5 year development cycle as of now. There is certainly time to develop a new game in that amount of time, but that's only if Sakurai has a decently sized team and that his health problems have been under control.

As a side note, back when the partnership between Sakurai/Bandai Namco was announced, it was stated that the engine for the game was ready. That was August 2012, half a year after Uprising finished development.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd say a 4.5 port at this point. Where it feels like it's new, but not entirely.

Basically Splatoon 2. Though a fully new game is still quite possible.

Enchess

Smash Lord
When did people's definitions of "port" get so weird? Like, is Tropical Freeze a port of DKC: Returns? I feel like that game is as similar to DKC:R as Splatoon 2 was to Splatoon at launch, but nobody would ever call it a port. It had completely new levels, new characters, new world map, etc. Same goes for tons of franchises. It's super common for full-blown sequels to reuse the engine and various assets, but no one calls those ports or remakes unless it's Smash. I swear if the next Smash has an entirely new set of levels with 10 new characters people will still refuse to call it a new game.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I am 100% sure this is not a port.

It may be a pseudo-sequel like Splatoon 2 that's heavily built off of Smash Wii U with a majority of the same assets, however, it's not a port.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I will remain convinced that it's going to be almost everything from Smash Wii U + some of the exclusive content from the 3DS version - namely Classic mode, stages, and Smash Run. They would probably introduce new events and custom moves for the characters that weren't in the base game. Since Takamaru is likely going to be playable, his Assist Trophy will probably be one of the few things removed.

D

Deleted member 189823

It'd be a lovely surprise. I'm waiting to see everyone's face. :awesome:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
When did people's definitions of "port" get so weird? Like, is Tropical Freeze a port of DKC: Returns? I feel like that game is as similar to DKC:R as Splatoon 2 was to Splatoon at launch, but nobody would ever call it a port. It had completely new levels, new characters, new world map, etc. Same goes for tons of franchises. It's super common for full-blown sequels to reuse the engine and various assets, but no one calls those ports or remakes unless it's Smash. I swear if the next Smash has an entirely new set of levels with 10 new characters people will still refuse to call it a new game.
No, Tropical Freeze is more original than Splatoon 2. All the levels and environments are new, all the models have been redone with new fur rendering, the animations are new as well.

A lot of content from Splatoon 2 was clearly ported over. Stages, models, weapons, music. The graphics were enhanced somewhat but not as much as Tropical Freeze which had to overhaul everything for HD.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We ain't super sure of basically anything, despite how super sure we like to seem.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Obviously we can’t be 100% sure because we have next to no information on what the game is at this point. Sakurai could surface a week from now and reveal that the whole game will be an expansion of the wildly popular mode Smash Tour. However, I highly doubt that Nintendo would reveal the game with a CGI cinematic teaser featuring no gameplay and a working title with a brand new logo just to reveal later on that the game is a port. Nintendo has done a lot of questionable things in the past, but I very much doubt they would intentionally build up all this hype, just to say “Psych! It’s the same game that’s been out for four years, now on Switch!”

Could it be a new game that reuses assets from Smash 4? Honestly I’m counting on it. But this is almost certainly not going to be “Smash 4: Deluxe Edition”.

....off-topic, but the constant cussing present in every other sentence you type is incredibly obnoxious. Not only does it make your posts hard to read due to all the asterisks, but it also makes me disinterested in even trying to understand what you’re saying, because you come off as abrasive and crude. I’m not against the use of swearing, but you need to learn that it doesn’t enhance your statements every time you use one; in fact I’d say it actively lowers the quality of your posts when you spam them like Twitch emotes.

Last edited:

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 sold very well on 3DS, but not much people got the chance to play the Wii U edition of Smash 4 since the Wii U was the worst selling platform of its time. Hopefully, if Smash 4 were to get an enhanced Switch port, it would hopefully have all the features the Wii U version would have, and have a chance of being sold well enough.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Still going for it is a new game:

-The logo is different
-The way it was announced screams new. If it was a port, I dou't think they'd hype it up so much.
-There is potential evidence that the game was in development since 2016. This fits the time frame of your usual Smash Bros. development cycle in the modern era.

I think people are just being bamboozled after the Brawl and Smash 4 marketing methods. I think they are keeping everything a secret and will reveal a huge information dump, then return to silence until release.

I do agree that a tournament after the E3 direct is a bit on the nose, but we'll see what they have planned from now until that day.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's probably a splatoon 2 situation, new game reusing a lot of new assets. The use of BOTW link gives that impression. Also if it was a port they would've just shown it rather than building hype with a teaser the way they are tbh.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'd like to bring up something that's likely never been brought up, and if it has, it hasn't received enough attention.

This is the Iwata Asks interview with Sakurai in regards to the making of Brawl. Specifically, when Iwata went to ask Sakurai to make a new Smash Bros game.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/0/1

Iwata: "Well, I had considered what I would do if you turned me down and decided that I would need to take the existing Smash Bros. title, Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube, and try to make it Wi-Fi capable while preserving as much balanced game play as possible in the event you didn’t want to get involved. Maybe it’s more appropriate to say that I realized we wouldn’t be able to add any new elements to the game without your help and I think I said as much when we discussed it at the hotel. It wasn’t right, but you might even say I used it as a threat of sorts."

Sakurai: "It certainly had the desired impact!"

Now, what do you get from this exchange?

To sum it up, Iwata pretty much said, "Please make a new Smash Bros or we'll port Melee to the Wii."
Sakurai's response of that remark having the "desired impact" tells me that a port was not something he wanted to see ever happen. Almost like he dislikes the idea of ports, or at least dislikes the idea of Smash ports. That being said, if this were the case—which, the evidence sort of speaks for itself—then this new game is not a port because Sakurai dislikes those.

Now, I believe they're going to reuse a lot of assets from Sm4sh because those are all still good and quite useful. But a port? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'd like to bring up something that's likely never been brought up, and if it has, it hasn't received enough attention.

This is the Iwata Asks interview with Sakurai in regards to the making of Brawl. Specifically, when Iwata went to ask Sakurai to make a new Smash Bros game.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/0/1

Iwata: "Well, I had considered what I would do if you turned me down and decided that I would need to take the existing Smash Bros. title, Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube, and try to make it Wi-Fi capable while preserving as much balanced game play as possible in the event you didn’t want to get involved. Maybe it’s more appropriate to say that I realized we wouldn’t be able to add any new elements to the game without your help and I think I said as much when we discussed it at the hotel. It wasn’t right, but you might even say I used it as a threat of sorts."

Sakurai: "It certainly had the desired impact!"

Now, what do you get from this exchange?

To sum it up, Iwata pretty much said, "Please make a new Smash Bros or we'll port Melee to the Wii."
Sakurai's response of that remark having the "desired impact" tells me that a port was not something he wanted to see ever happen. Almost like he dislikes the idea of ports, or at least dislikes the idea of Smash ports. That being said, if this were the case—which, the evidence sort of speaks for itself—then this new game is not a port because Sakurai dislikes those.

Now, I believe they're going to reuse a lot of assets from Sm4sh because those are all still good and quite useful. But a port? I don't think so.
I've never seen that before that's very interesting! I really do think that even if people on here consider it a "port" it will never be called that, and reading this makes me really think Sakurai will never consider it one. Basically even after it's announced there will still be port vs. new game arguments :rolleyes:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If it's a port, then presenting game play would've been a non-issue in the same way it was a non-issue when announcing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. That didn't happen here.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
-I've been thinking port since they announced it. IDK why so many people instantly thought it was a new game. Yes, Melee came out shortly after Smash64 but both Brawl and Sm4sh took quite a while to come out after the previous smash game. I think time is the biggest indicator of a port. It's not like the game came out years ago and that was it. There have been DLC and patches and while these obviously require fewer resources than a full blown game it still kinda feels like they were working on the game last year.
-I think the success of Mario Kart Deluxe and games like Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD (not to mention the fact nintendo sells you super mario 3 on every system somehow) shows Nintendo is more than willing to simply recycle games.
-It feels like too quick a turnaround for a full blown game. Considering how poorly balanced so many characters were in sm4sh I wouldn't trust them to rework a ton of characters or make massive changes to the gameplay without severe imbalances to follow. Iit seems fairly unlikely they would change the ledge mechanics or revert air dodges back to how they were in Melee after they changed them for Brawl and changed them again for Sm4sh. Even if it were a brand new game IDK how much they would even change. Calling it a new game could be a way to remove certain game modes or characters/music/stages with less backlash. As far as lack of gameplay shown that doesn't mean much. They could be trying to improve graphics or some tweak to gameplay. The lack of information is only generating more buzz. If they came out and said it's a port with inklings and maybe 2 other characters it would kill certain hopes people have for the game. Like if they showed Pyrosphere with Ridley still than it essentially deconfirms Ridley as a potential character.
Pretty much I think it'll just be a port but even if it isn't it's very likely to have sooo much of sm4sh in it. Mechanics, music, movesets, stages, all of it. Port or not it's still very likely to be sm4.5h. Just my opinion though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Do you have to curse so much dude? I can't take some of the things you say seriously when every sentence has a bunch of asterisks in them.

We need more information before making any assumption. I'll bounce off of what everyone has said in that itll likely be like Splatoon 2, but we really don't know anything. We have to wait and see at E3.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We'll know soon enough. But for now prepare for anything. People who think they are 100% sure of something are setting themselves up for disappointment.

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
I think that if it was a port they wouldn't be holding so much information back from us. When they revealed Mario Kart 8 deluxe they showed a lot of details of the added things on the release trailer, but smash, they just revealed that inklings would be in the new game and also showed a new design.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Not even super-sure of my life...
But everything single thing leads to be a new game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I find it very unlikely that it is a brand new game. The development time just isn't enough, unless this is actually being released in 2020. Either that or it is a "game as a service" a la League of Legends and games of that kind.

I might be wrong, but I think it is a Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe (3DS + Wii U) with new characters, stages and stuff. So for all purposes, it might as well be a new game. People being sure it is a new game are being delusional. No one can say whatever the game is at this point.

I also don't get the negativity and the fear of the game being a Smash 4 port? We are getting new characters, what is the big deal? Graphics can't be improved that much from Smash 4, unless they go for photo-realism.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I find it very unlikely that it is a brand new game. The development time just isn't enough, unless this is actually being released in 2020. Either that or it is a "game as a service" a la League of Legends and games of that kind.

I might be wrong, but I think it is a Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe (3DS + Wii U) with new characters, stages and stuff. So for all purposes, it might as well be a new game. People being sure it is a new game are being delusional. No one can say whatever the game is at this point.

I also don't get the negativity and the fear of the game being a Smash 4 port? We are getting new characters, what is the big deal? Graphics can't be improved that much from Smash 4, unless they go for photo-realism.
it's been like 3 and a half years wym? that's more than enough time. It's probably not a game from the ground up anyway, it's probably a port with a bunch of new content branded as a sequel

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I've been hoping it's a port / port sequel because that means they can spend more time on characters and fine tuning than building a brand new game from scratch. Not sure why people think port is bad and equals little content.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think it's gonna use SSB4's skeleton and such but it will have new content enough to constitute into a sequel. I also have a feeling it's gonna look new, as in, more characters aside from Link will have updated visuals for example.
Whatever gameplay it has will definitely will have a starting point in SSB4, even if they end up tuning it to be different
Nothing unusual. Brawl ported over stuff from Melee and SSB4 ported over stuff from Brawl, but this time around I think they're porting more than usual. Unlike SSB64 to Melee, Melee to Brawl or Brawl to SSB4, Sakurai/the dev team maybe is going straight from SSB4 to SSB5. Not using the former's framework just sounds weird and not smart time-wise
But I think it'll be wrong to call it a straight out "port". Otherwise Splatoon 2 is a port too. It's not a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe situation I think

Spatman

Smash Ace

the development time just isn't enough?
I mean, releasing in november 2018 it would have the longest development time in the smash series

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
the development time just isn't enough?
I mean, releasing in november 2018 it would have the longest development time in the smash series
I'm not sure about that, it would be longer than Melee's and 64s I think, but not as sure on the other ones.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There's no question in my mind that this is a new game, probably reusing old assets. I wonder if the artstyle and everything is gonna stay the same though, like will we be able to tell it apart from the wii u version or not?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
They're talking about the Switch version of Tropical Freeze, which regardless of the system is a full-fledged sequel to Returns.

The new Smash will likely be what Mario Galaxy 2 and Splatoon 2 are to their original games. New and expansive but familar.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Look. It doesn't matter. Either way, we're going to get new content. The only thing worth talking about in this discussion is whether or not you'd want it to be a new game or a port. For example, I'd rather have an enhanced port over a new game because that would mean that there's a bigger chance that ALL of the old characters would make it to the Switch version, on top of the new characters we'd be getting. There's also the prospect of a guaranteed HD version of Smash Run.
Debating over whether Smash 6 is a new game or a port is just a waste of time.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about that, it would be longer than Melee's and 64s I think, but not as sure on the other ones.
There is a post made by Sourcegaming with the timeline of all Smash development circles: brawl is a bit more than 2 years, while smash4 was 2 years and an half (but with two versions of the game developed in the same time).
There is evidence Sakurai started this new project between Feb and Apr 2016, so a release in Nov 2018 would mean a dev time between 2 years and 9 months and 2 years and 7 months.
But it's the bare minimum: in fact nothing stops the possibility that during last months of dlcs for 4, works for smash switch were already started; maybe just the porting of assets and game engine, something technical that doesn't necessarily require Sakurai's involvment.
And this recalls us the hiring post in the developers forum made by Namco some years ago to look for new developers for a so called "Smash 6" . So...

maybe.

Smash Cadet
not gonna be the biggest op in the word and cluttering up the general with this debate seems not-so-good so **** it, independent topic it is. big q in here is whether this **** is actually a port or a truly new game. i'm putting it down that i think it might be somethin' like a port-plus, where it's essentially smash 4.5 (4.75 if you think wiiu is 4.5 but WHAT THE **** EVER).

here's why i'm thinkin' port for this bad boy (also i want an excuse to use the ****ing bullet points):

This seems to heavily imply that it is not a port. Every other game that has been ported they've come out and said "ya, it's a port" but with this they aren't coming out and saying it. Obviously Nintendo's PR has been suspect in the past but it would seem unbelievably bad even for them to build up so much hype this way just to later come out and be like "Ha! Got you! It actually is a port", I don't think they would risk the amount of disappointment that would come with that. It just doesn't make sense that they would be so secretive if it was a port, like why would they be so hesitant to show us a game that we already have played. The tournament also seems to prove to me moreso that it is a new game. Once again, they wouldn't need an even like that to showcase us a game that we've already been playing for 3 years. Obviously it's all speculation and nobody knows "for sure" what it is, but, for me, logic seems to very heavily point towards it being a completely new game.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
From what we know of internal files of smash games do use the previous game as a basis for future stuff. To some level and how depends with each game.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Not super sure.

But the fact is if you took all the stages of Wii U and 3ds combined, all the dlc, Smash run and Smash tour, added custom moves for dlc characters, added 5-10 characters. Added 5-10 stages. Added one new mode (adventure) added a couple of Smash run stages, the challenges of both games combined, the event matches of both games combined, a live multiplayer version of the steetpass game.... the common reaction (I believe) is that it would be enough to count as a new game.

And it would be a port.

I think we’re getting a port with enough added it’s a new game. Like even a step above a DX Port.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sakurai could go with the same release method as ARMS and Splatoon.

Sakurai could release Sma5h with a fraction of the planned content but give players monthly updates.

Some people give this release model s&@# and would rather wait for the complete game to be released all at once. Personally, as a WiiU owner, I wish more games had been released incomplete, and updated later, instead of being delayed for years. Just don't f@#$ us over again like you did with Pokken.

Do you have to curse so much dude? I can't take some of the things you say seriously when every sentence has a bunch of asterisks in them.
F@#$ yeah mah dude. I can't stand that s#$% when people too f#&$%$@ lazy to censor their own s#@$ and let the f$@#&$# auto-censor put ugly-a@% asterisks over their s#&@.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom