• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We know Link sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Ugh... how many times do people ask this question?

First off a good secondary is a character who can do well or decent on Link's more harder matchups. Take Kirby for example, he's goes a fair match with Falco being 55:45, get it?

Second of all please use the Q&A.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Might as well answer this.

:metaknight: - Best character in the game, has no disadvantageous match-ups. This would be your best choice since he beats pretty much every character and goes sort of even with a select few.

:snake: - Second best character, he plays pretty similar to Link. I find Link to be just a very very bad Snake so this would be a good option as well. Only has a few bad match-ups and in the hands of a skilled player, can actually win a tournament.

:marth: - Many Links use Marth as secondary since he covers a good amount of Link's bad match-ups such as Falco.

:kirby: - Another common secondary since he does well against many of Link's bad match-ups like Falco, D3, and ROB.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I just play out my bad match-ups.

A secondary is nice, but I'd rather learn the match-up and figure out how to win in it. Even if it is extremely hard.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Well since Link has arguably one good matchup, I would think that a character with two good matchups or more would make a fine secondary. My secondary is Samus.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Well since Link has arguably one good matchup, I would think that a character with two good matchups or more would make a fine secondary. My secondary is Samus.
lmao.
Pit's playstyle is somewhat similar to Link's, but doesn't cover all of his bad matchups.

You guys have to be more positive about link. His recovery is the worst in the game, but that doesn't neccesarily make it BAD. The key is to keep him AWAY from the edge. I can only think of a few times his recovery failed me. (And most of those were only when I was eating cake at the same time lol)

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
You guys have to be more positive about link. His recovery is the worst in the game, but that doesn't neccesarily make it BAD. The key is to keep him AWAY from the edge. I can only think of a few times his recovery failed me. (And most of those were only when I was eating cake at the same time lol)
Go to a tournament and say that.

He has THE worst recovery in the game. Which means if an opponent knocks you off the stage, even with Link's double jump (which is terrible) he is still at a major risk for being gimped. Yes his recovery is bad, and you won't be able to keep Link away from the edge as well as keep the opponent away forever.

Link is bottom tier for a good reason.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon's horizontal recovery distance is about the same as Link. But Ganon wins cause it at least gives decent vertical distance (but Ganon's recovery also sucks). I think Olimar's recovery sucks more than Link's (too easy to edge hog, even without edge invincibility) and Olimar is far lighter than Link.

As of Captain Falcon's recovery it doesn't lack but it's so predictable and easy to gimp. Wolf's recovery has huge angle issues, which makes it also bad. And Falco's up b is terrible as well (but side b is pretty good though it completely lacks vertically).

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You know, I always wondered why Link has aerials. I mean, other than being offstage, he can't use them anyway, he can't jump after all.
And since he can't get back to the stage, and can't do anything against gimping, might as well have no aerials.

Obvious sarcasm is obvious

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Links recovery is not the worst in the game. Link has options at least on his recovery such as bombs, throwing a rang, and the hookshot. Ganon has NOTHING for his recovery but to use his up b and pray.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Links recovery is not the worst in the game. Link has options at least on his recovery such as bombs, throwing a rang, and the hookshot. Ganon has NOTHING for his recovery but to use his up b and pray.
Ganon's recovery only lacks horizontally, Link's recovery lacks both horizontally and vertically. You get hit by something while recovering with Link and you are force to react quickly his up b will not give any horizontal distance (Ganon's reverse up air is lethal to Link). And with Ganon sometimes the edge guarder is in risk of being stage spiked or Ganoncided. Ganon's recovery is poor, but better than Link's one, especially cause Link's recovery is much worse at surviving spikes. Ganon wins cause it at least has decent vertical distance while Link's recovery lacks both. Bomb is very situational and hookshot can be hit out of the tether (I have spiked a Link with Snake out of tether recovery). Only Ivysaur and Olimar's recovery can be compared to Link's horrible recovery.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Believe me bro I have talked to good Ganon players and they will tell you that Ganon's recovery is worse than Links because he has NO options other than to just use his up b. Link also has a better momentum-cancel which would factor into recovery.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
We've already argued this out with the Ganon mains. Even the most determined debaters finally gave over that Ganon has a worse recovery.
Ganon has mediocre vertical range, with extremely little horizontal range (including after-UpB freefall status). He has no options in countering ledgehogging/gimping opponents other than to suicide. Most characters can gimp Ganon without even getting close to suicide range, however.

Link has a better momentum cancel, which makes up for his lighter weight. His recovery has a little horizontal range and vertical range. His clawshot has mediocre recovery range, but provides a different way to recover with different timing.
Link can use the Gale boomerang or another projectile to harass opponents as they attempt to gimp/ledgeguard him. He can switch up his recovery on opponents intent upon gimping him (which, believe it or not, works sometimes). He can also vary the timing and height of his UpB to catch opponents who are attempting to gimp/ledgehog him.
Although bombjumping isn't a part of Link's metagame currently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcmvm64kEY), it very well could become more prominent in the future. It is simply another switch-up to get Link to the ledge.

Both Link and Ganon are designed to make it back to the ledge, not onstage. Link, however, has more switchups while doing so and ways to prevent opponents from edgeguarding. Ganon does not.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Link's recovery is only better in terms of surviving horizontal hits with Z-air. Ganondorf is better at making it back in terms of distance in almost every other situation. Say you didn't optimally DI a strong hit, Ganondorf usually can actually land on stage if he needs to, instead of getting edgehogged like Link is more likely to. Link's higher fall speed makes a significant difference in how far his recovery can actually go.

Ganon's ledge getup game can be good if you have good technical skill with the ability to autocancel certain aerials and air dodge as a getup, and he's better at camping on the ledge to some extent since his recovery specials don't have as strict spacing windows as Link's Up-B, and because his U-air hits through the stage.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Link's vertical recovery is only better than Bowser and Donkey Kong's one. But Donkey Kong and Bowser gives far more horizontal distance. Link's recovery is only comparable to Olimar and Ivysaur cause it's the only non-tether recovery that lacks both horizontally and vertically. Link can't always avoid gimps, he falls too fast to always be able to avoid gimps but still being able to get back to the stage. And like Ganon if he gets offstage with low angle attacks like Ganon's side tilt it'll be too far to get back to the stage.

And you must say just like Ganon Link's recovery gives an extremely small horizontal distance, but also lacking vertically, Ganon's vertical recovery is OK, making him better at surviving spikes.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Link's recovery is easily the second worst in the game (it's better than Ivysaur's... just about). Let's see. He has a tether to recover... too bad you can't use it if you're being edgehogged, and it's all too easy to see coming. Then there's his up B. The vertical distance is poor, but the horizontal distance is abysmal.

And it's incredibly easy to gimp. Let's look at an example to show this. Let's say I'm playing as Peach, and I've gotten you off stage. I then go to try and attack you. You have 3 choices:

a) Get hit by the attack and die.

b) Try and trade hits with one of your own aerials. Then you fall too far to recover and die.

c) Airdodge the attack. Then you fall too far to recover and die.

In other words, if your opponent knows how to edgeguard properly, you're screwed. It's a shame too. If he had an average recovery, he'd probably rise a good 8 or 9 spots on the tier list.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea honestly ganon has a worse recovery than Link......simple as that. If you don't think so then you probably don't have a clear understanding of those characters recovery or the experience during an actual match to truly understand how terrible Ganon's recovery is.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Still, Link's recovery sucks. It's extremely vulnerable to be attacked while recovering due poor stats for a recovery and his recovery moves giving very little distance and height.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Back to subject of the original post....

We need more people playing Ness!!! I'm not sure matchup-wise of how link and ness would fit together, but they have a common weakness to CGs.... but then again, most ness players know how to avoid such things and can move around them and be fine....
Other than that, kirby is just great overall.
If you want someone who plays similar, Snake, Pit, TL (although he's very weird in comparison to link), or some others i'm forgetting could be good.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon's reverse up air is OHKO in an offstage Link even if not edgehogging, while in other Ganon he survives it even if edgehogging. Reverse up air in offstage Link is total ****, up b only gives, barely, vertical recovery til he changes to special fall when he is too far to the ledge.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I blame his up-B in Melee. Sakurai thought that was too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom