• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
While we're at it, it would be cool if they made more of these "hero-villain" images. I want one with the Inklings staring down DJ Octavio.
Adding some female villains to the mix:
Pit and Palutena vs Medusa would be great too.

So would Wario vs Captain Syrup.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, what are the others?
Number one, overexpectation. Hype is a drug. Get overhyped over some unconfirmed news and you get salty. Number two, gatekeeping. Number three, close-mindedness. Number four, dream-crushing. Number five, idolatry. Number six, general saltiness.

Adding some female villains to the mix:
Pit and Palutena vs Medusa would be great too.

So would Wario vs Captain Syrup.
That is what you call intersectionality. You're taking down two birds in one stone. Not only are you adding new woman into the mix, you're also adding in a new villain people didn't get to play as back in their home games.

I meant no offense; I was only being candid.

That said, though, point taken.
I mean, yeah, but sometimes, people would just wanna persecute me just because of my views.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I think a unique female villain would be great. Dark Samus was shot down and is now a clone. I think Medusa would’ve been the best choice, but she seems unlikely now unfortunately.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We don't know for sure, maybe some character were picked to fit certain criteria Nintendo wanted, so he needed to put something from certain section. I remember Smash For 3DS/Wii U had basically an open space for a relevant First Party Character, where Corrin ended up fitting.
well thats the thing isnt it, hes trying to say hes not bias towards FE and yet if he has these placeholders for "relevant" nintendo characters he picks a FE one out of so many other who would have also fit, but if he means it was nintendos idea why would they only say put in a FE character, wouldnt they want to promote their own characters?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Our best hope for that may be Dr Coyle from ARMS.

She can float has Headlock as a final smash and an awesome theme

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Posting here, because I would love to have characters like Reimu, Lara Croft, 2B, Agnès, or Arle to join Smash.

D

Deleted member

I think a unique female villain would be great. Dark Samus was shot down and is now a clone. I think Medusa would’ve been the best choice, but she seems unlikely now unfortunately.
People often say Medusa would work as a Palutena echo...but honestly more stuff woild fit in nicely.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

A Spring Man and Ribbon Girl vs Dr. Coyle would have made a cool mural too.

It’s always interesting to look at series that not only have female villains, but female heroines to oppose them as well. If we wandered into 3rd Parties, Shantae vs Risky Boots would be a perfect example of this.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
People often say Medusa would work as a Palutena echo...but honestly more stuff woild fit in nicely.
I think she could take a bunch of Palutenas old custom specials as her own, and be more like a luigi to mario, or isabelle to villager. For example, i think Medusa could have the neutral B of Heavenly light, but called netherworlds darkness(that was my favorite special), side b is a new move Medusas Gaze where she glares out to the side with the same cone as auto reticule but less range if enemies are looking at her and in the area they are hurt and slowed. She can hold the move out for mor constant damage and if the enemies are hurt enough or stare too long they turn to stone, but the range medusa can use the attack shrink quickly over time like a flamethrower and needs to recharge for maximum ranage. up b would be a more powerful rocket jump, but with dark flames surrounding Medusa, and down b could be a modified Celestial firework that hits a larger area and is called netherworlds explosion or something, sending the explosion up. Final smash could be like a mix of bowsers and peach, where she goes into the background and fills the screen with a medusa glare, turning everyone one the stage to stone, if they where in the air at the time the rapidly fall down.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Dr. Coyle is probably my second most wanted female rep behind Dixie, but unfortunately, Nintendo seems to want people to forget that ARMS even existed.

She'd be such a great character to include. We don't have any female villains other than Wendy, and she's majorly important to ARMS' lore. She'd be a great addition.

D

Deleted member

I think she could take a bunch of Palutenas old custom specials as her own, and be more like a luigi to mario, or isabelle to villager. For example, i think Medusa could have the neutral B of Heavenly light, but called netherworlds darkness(that was my favorite special), side b is a new move Medusas Gaze where she glares out to the side with the same cone as auto reticule but less range if enemies are looking at her and in the area they are hurt and slowed. She can hold the move out for mor constant damage and if the enemies are hurt enough or stare too long they turn to stone, but the range medusa can use the attack shrink quickly over time like a flamethrower and needs to recharge for maximum ranage. up b would be a more powerful rocket jump, but with dark flames surrounding Medusa, and down b could be a modified Celestial firework that hits a larger area and is called netherworlds explosion or something, sending the explosion up. Final smash could be like a mix of bowsers and peach, where she goes into the background and fills the screen with a medusa glare, turning everyone one the stage to stone, if they where in the air at the time the rapidly fall down.
That looks like a good set. But again, it's really up to the developers on how to design her.

sbhouse12345

Smash Rookie
Yep. Definitely adding male bias to the Smash community's seven deadly sins.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what's wrong with that. Just cause more males are speculated for smash doesn't mean smash fans are against females. Why would anyone be biased towards dudes anyways?

Also unrelated but would Nights be considered a female character?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yep. Definitely adding male bias to the Smash community's seven deadly sins.
I don't see what's wrong with that. Just cause more males are speculated for smash doesn't mean smash fans are against females. Why would anyone be biased towards dudes anyways?

Also unrelated but would Nights be considered a female character?[/QUOTE]

It's...technically a weird interpretation.

Nights...is...I did my 5 minute research and they still don't know. It's ambiguous.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Also unrelated but would Nights be considered a female character?

It's...technically a weird interpretation.

Nights...is...I did my 5 minute research and they still don't know. It's ambiguous.
Nights is... actually I don't know.

Apparently the character is genderless so take that what you will.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I am totally indifferent to represention and only care about games and moveset potential, yes, the character i want just so happens to be female.
Just kidding. What's with reluctunce of these people they sound like a bunch tsundere types. Too much anti-politics in gaming.
Imagine if smash didn't have any female characters the problem would be pretty obvious then wouldn't it it's not hard to understand.
There's a crazy number of games and sakurai is making amazing moveset after moveset in the dlc I am not worried about any female character chosen to be lacking. Yet people push back against trying to fufill a gender quota, how else are you supposed to increase female representation if you're not proactive about it? The gender ratio is gonna stay the same if you just shrug and say "let things be" that's how we ended up with the problem in the first place.

In other news I nominate Tracer. Dva and Mercy are also good picks since blizzard said more or less "please take any of our characters mister Sakurai!"
Self healing self reviving mercy would be unique and broken. Please break the game sakurai san. That would be my wish.

D

Deleted member

Nights is... actually I don't know.

Apparently the character is genderless so take that what you will.
Either way, Nights would be kinda awesome. Bring back gliding...

I am totally indifferent to represention and only care about games and moveset potential, yes, the character i want just so happens to be female.
Just kidding. What's with reluctunce of these people they sound like a bunch tsundere types. Too much anti-politics in gaming.
Imagine if smash didn't have any female characters the problem would be pretty obvious then wouldn't it it's not hard to understand.
There's a crazy number of games and sakurai is making amazing moveset after moveset in the dlc I am not worried about any female character chosen to be lacking. Yet people push back against trying to fufill a gender quota, how else are you supposed to increase female representation if you're not proactive about it? The gender ratio is gonna stay the same if you just shrug and say "let things be" that's how we ended up with the problem in the first place.

In other news I nominate Tracer. Dva and Mercy are also good picks since blizzard said more or less "please take any of our characters mister Sakurai!"
Self healing self reviving mercy would be unique and broken. Please break the game sakurai san. That would be my wish.
That is why actions speak louder than words.

Please don't. I care about this game's balance. I'm a competitive player. It'll make us look bad; look what happened to Tekken 7.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Here`s is the female characters i want to see in the second pass even though it`s unlikely
EO-Q1pCWAAErTJy.png2.png

Let`s say the pass starts off with a Bandai Namco rep Sophitia or Kos-mos being the most likely with T-elos as an echo fighter as a bonus. Then a Capcom rep with Chun-Li or Morrigan being my top 2. The third being a Square Enix rep either Lara Croft for the sake of more Female Protagonists, Tifa Lockhart if we do get a second Final Fantasy rep, or Agnes if she gets in (honorable mention goes out to 2B). The fourth being from Sega`s library with Arle or Sakura being the most likely of the sega females (Blaze Fielding being an honorable mention). The Fifth being one of Nintendo`s own leading ladies Dixie Kong being long overdue, Pyra/Mythra being the 2nd Xenoblade rep (honorable mention goes out to Elma,Pauline,and Octoling among others)and if nintendo goes with the Byleth route then it most likely be Ring Fit Trainer. And last but certainly not least the pass closes out with a surprise fighter with either Shantae,Reimu, & Asuka being my top 3 picks (honorable mentions goes out to Saber & Neptune). I also like to give honorable mentions to other Female characters that i couldn`t add to this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here`s is the female characters i want to see in the second pass even though it`s unlikely
View attachment 261656

Let`s say the pass starts off with a Bandai Namco rep Sophitia or Kos-mos being the most likely with T-elos as an echo fighter as a bonus. Then a Capcom rep with Chun-Li or Morrigan being my top 2. The third being a Square Enix rep either Lara Croft for the sake of more Female Protagonists, Tifa Lockhart if we do get a second Final Fantasy rep, or Agnes if she gets in (honorable mention goes out to 2B). The fourth being from Sega`s library with Arle or Sakura being the most likely of the sega females (Blaze Fielding being an honorable mention). The Fifth being one of Nintendo`s own leading ladies Dixie Kong being long overdue, Pyra/Mythra being the 2nd Xenoblade rep (honorable mention goes out to Elma,Pauline,and Octoling among others)and if nintendo goes with the Byleth route then it most likely be Ring Fit Trainer. And last but certainly not least the pass closes out with a surprise fighter with either Shantae,Reimu, & Asuka being my top 3 picks (honorable mentions goes out to Saber & Neptune). I also like to give honorable mentions to other Female characters that i couldn`t add to this.
Did you just read my mind?

Shut the front door. I ****ing love you.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
ALL STAN FOR OUR NINTENDO QUEENS! :love::love::love::love:

Of course there are numerous 3rd Party gals that are more than deserving for Smash, but t'is always important to remember the girls back home.

Some more queens.

D

Deleted member

ALL STAN FOR OUR NINTENDO QUEENS! :love::love::love::love:

Of course there are numerous 3rd Party gals that are more than deserving for Smash, but t'is always important to remember the girls back home.

Some more queens.

Its' pretty much amusing to see at least.

Troykv

Smash Master

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Just came in to support the thread since as a guy I tend to forget how lacking the female side of the roster is in representation. Also, I didn't realize how many of my most wanted characters were female. For males, it boils down to Isaac, Waluigi, and Dante. For females though? Sooooo many.

Shantae. Impa. Midna. Tetra. Urbosa. Mipha. Krystal. Dixie Kong. Tifa. Yuna. Chun Li. And on and on....

My favored female characters out of this whole list would probably be Shantae, Mipha, Urbosa, and Chun Li. Tetra is my honorable mention/sentimental pick since Wind Waker is my favorite LoZ game, but I concede her chances are exceedingly slim.

I'm especially keen on getting more female reps out of the Zelda series. There are just way too many good ones in that series that have been passed over. They could release only LoZ characters for this next season pass and I think it would be a totally fair thing to do, especially if the female characters were put in the spotlight.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You gonna nitpick my wording huh? Must be fun at parties.
I wasn't talking about any one character, I said deserving, not deserves, meaning there are characters that would fit nicely in Smash, not that they have to be there.
how dare you accuse me of going to parties

D

Deleted member

We shouldnt care how the rest of the community feels one way or another. We support who we like not what other people like :)
Pretty much, but as much as I'm more focused on the general speculation, that is usually my sample when it comes to discussion.

Just came in to support the thread since as a guy I tend to forget how lacking the female side of the roster is in representation. Also, I didn't realize how many of my most wanted characters were female. For males, it boils down to Isaac, Waluigi, and Dante. For females though? Sooooo many.

Shantae. Impa. Midna. Tetra. Urbosa. Mipha. Krystal. Dixie Kong. Tifa. Yuna. Chun Li. And on and on....

My favored female characters out of this whole list would probably be Shantae, Mipha, Urbosa, and Chun Li. Tetra is my honorable mention/sentimental pick since Wind Waker is my favorite LoZ game, but I concede her chances are exceedingly slim.

I'm especially keen on getting more female reps out of the Zelda series. There are just way too many good ones in that series that have been passed over. They could release only LoZ characters for this next season pass and I think it would be a totally fair thing to do, especially if the female characters were put in the spotlight.
Unless we get a SPirit promotion it'll be all on the table, though I would niot bet on it at 100% happening at the moment.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It could be precise to say gender isn't a necessity in the roster, but it would be nice if the conditions meet to give us more female characters.

1) A notable game series happens to have female leading protagonist or villain.

We've got Samus from Nintendo and Bayo from third party. Within Smash 5 hope that we can have another one, considering all the new series protagonsits with specific gender are guys so far. I agree that at this point it'd be nice to eventually have a female antagonist to complete the diversity.

2) The second rep of a franchise chooses a girl from the main cast

We had Isabelle for this round so it's a pass, and I don't think KRool and Ridley are debateable since they do earn their spots for Nintendo allstars.

For the future, I think Krystal for SF, Dixie for DK and a Warioware girl are the closest we can wish for future Smash games.

3) Echo/alt with opposite genders

Most of the first party reps from Pokemon Trainer to FE heroes allow the gender choices. I guess no controversy here.

I think the problem comes from third parties, we haven't got any echo/alts based on female characters or avatars there. Aside from Ms. Pac-Man which relates to the right issues, no female Terry and Erdrick is still abit dissapointing.

Regarding to the DLCs, the mainstream wish is of course 1). But hope that if the conditions meet, with that we'd also get a pack with female echo/alts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1) A notable game series happens to have female leading protagonist or villain.

We've got Samus from Nintendo and Bayo from third party. Within Smash 5 hope that we can have another one, considering all the new series protagonsits with specific gender are guys so far. I agree that at this point it'd be nice to eventually have a female antagonist to complete the diversity.
To be fair, we did get Dark Samus, but if we're talking about people like Medusa that does fit the bill, then that would be really nice. In addition, I do believe that Lara Croft is overdue, to I do believe she gets shafted out a lot in favor of other male inclusions.,

2) The second rep of a franchise chooses a girl from the main cast

We had Isabelle for this round so it's a pass, and I don't think KRool and Ridley are debateable since they do earn their spots for Nintendo allstars.

For the future, I think Krystal for SF, Dixie for DK and a Warioware girl are the closest we can wish for future Smash games.
We could also get Chun-Li but I don't think Sakurai's design philosophy is going to make things in favor oif her. Needless to say, she's recently been said to eclipse Ken, but we mostly got him due to how easier it is to design him.

3) Echo/alt with opposite genders

Most of the first party reps from Pokemon Trainer to FE heroes allow the gender choices. I guess no controversy here.

I think the problem comes from third parties, we haven't got any echo/alts based on female characters or avatars there. Aside from Ms. Pac-Man which relates to the right issues, no female Terry and Erdrick is still abit dissapointing.
No wonder I cried tears of joy when Byleth was announced, to the disappontment of the majority of the community nonetheless. Oh well, a small price to pay for salvation.

Female Terry always felt like a simple one shot character to me (outside of appearing in Senran Kagura New Link [along with freaking GEESE of all people]), and in addition, her design is too fanservice-y, with Sakurai saying "Smash is for good boys and girls". Female Heroes were really a missed oppurtunity though, but it's mostly from the Square big wigs.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Granblue Fantasy was a hot topic on the main thread recently.

I know she's not the protagonist, but I would love to see Ladiva in Smash in some capacity, as I feel she would bring a lot to the table in terms of representation.

D

Deleted member

Granblue Fantasy was a hot topic on the main thread recently.

I know she's not the protagonist, but I would love to see Ladiva in Smash in some capacity, as I feel she would bring a lot to the table in terms of representation.
Granblue Fantasy is amazing. Just watching the anime right now and yeah...GF for Smash, though it'll be mostly be Gran who gets picked.

Remember the time they discussed Katalina as the potential character? Yeah, those were the days XD

D

Deleted member

Yeah...but that isn't the consideration of most of the Smash community apparently.
Lesley. I mean this with the most respect I can muster. You need to stop.

Your obsession with having more female characters has become unhealthy. Accusing people of not caring about the female character options just because they would rather see a lot of characters who just so happen to be male? There's no other way to put this, that makes you a jerk.

You've even called people wanting characters who happen to be male over wanting female characters "male bias". Seriously? As ridiculous as this misplaced movement of yours has been, until that statement I had believed the entire time that you were not sexist. But now I'm starting to wonder.

And to clear up some apparent misconception, people don't call you out on this movement of yours because they have a problem with women. These are the reasons you get called out for it.

1. You're bringing a movement that's borderline political into a video game. Don't get me wrong, any and all statements of "women's rights are just another political ploy" are complete BS as women deserve equal rights to men regardless of any politics. But this is a video game. A form of entertainment that people use to try and escape the stress of real-life situations like that. That's why people hate the idea of politics being ingrained into video games, movies, etc so much and while what you're doing isn't fueled by something political, the context of the situation leads to the same result.

2. As stated earlier, you have had a few too many moments of giving people crap for views that differ from yours during this whole ordeal.

3. Boycotting the DLC if it didn't have a female, something you said multiple times that you would do, is going too far. That's refusing to support the developers work on the DLC because it didn't cater to your tastes. And there are many examples, female character desire or otherwise, as to why such a thing is viewed with disdain. Speaking of which.

4. At the end of day, what your asking for is another "I want this character because of what they represent" campaign. "I want this character because they use a weapon that's not a sword". "I want this character because they come from a series that needs more characters in Smash". Things like that. While it remains true that the fanbase doesn't know exactly what goes through Sakurai's mind, we can piece together bits and patterns that he has shown multiple times. And through that, it's seems very clear that the highest priority for him and his team is what the character can do and how fun they are to play. His statement of that being more important than whether or not the character is recognizable is as recent as the Terry presentation. Which is only a couple months old.

"But there's a lot of female characters who could be fun" Stop. We know. But there's also a lot of male characters who could be fun. It's not about gender and as much as you want it to be, you have no impact on this game. Sakurai will add who gets added male or female. And if you're disappointed with the results? Sorry to say but you're going to have to just deal with it. This game is not made to cater to the tastes of one specific crowd.

5. This community suffers too much from divide and disrespect caused from fan made rules that the developers don't actually take into account and expectations that are set too high by people who disrespect others, developers and fans alike, when those expectations are not met. That's the last reason I can list as to why people have a problem with what you do in this female characters push. All it does is hurt the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

well it is made to cater to the tastes of sakurai
Considering that Fighter Pass had all of it's characters chosen by Nintendo, Sakurai only had input on whether or not the character could work, It's factually incorrect that this is the case. I believe Fighter Pass 2 also had it's characters chosen by Nintendo but I would need to double check that.

Also, can we try to avoid statements like that? It makes it sound like Sakurai just does whatever he wants and only what he wants without caring about what other people, in the company or in the fanbase, would like to see. And once again, there's a lot of proof that this isn't the case.

Top Bottom