• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to easily setup Jab Locks

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ok fellow Link's.... I figured if this hasn't been made (Search function likes to NOT WORK for me :|) I'd make this thread.

What is it for you may ask?

Finding situational, but easy ways to setup a Jab Lock. After all, who doesn't love one of the few true combos in Brawl?

Situation 1: "The Returning Boomerang"

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QowOeJSFu4

How to Perform:
Throw a boomerang (any direction) STRONGLY (not the weak toss).
Grab so that your back is facing away from the boomerang.
Bthrow your opponent into the boomerang a small while before it reaches you.

The opponent should be thrown, hit the boomerang, and land on the ground in front of you. If they do not tech it, you may proceed with a jab lock.

Difficulty: 3/5
Timing: 4/5
How Situational: 4/10
Getting the grab, and timing the Bthrow take a lot of practice. Sometimes you won't be able to get a grab. However if your the boomerang happy type, this may be a lot easier for you.

Situation 2: "The Returning Boomerang Returns!"

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZxADIzXx3M

How to Perform:
Throw a boomerang away from opponent.
Get behind opponent and pivot grab (or roll and grab)
Pause and Fthrow your opponent into the returning boomerang.
Turn around and Jab

Difficulty: 5/5
Timing: 4/5
How Situational: 2/10
Getting the grab, and timing the Fthrow take a lot of practice. Sometimes you won't be able to get a grab. However if your the boomerang happy type, this may be a lot easier for you. The timing and difficulty level is higher then Situation 1.

~ Submit more methods pl0x ~

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Another great way to do it is if you notice your boomerang is behind your opponent...a triple jab will send them in the air and they get gale carried to their backs on the ground. I guess if you insert any move that makes them twirl in the air helplessly while the boomerang is behind them will give you that effect but the triple jab is easy to pull off.

I simply can't jab lock online...only offline. It's the only time I notice the lag delay even with a perfect connection with an opponent....messes up the rhythm entirely.

I won't be playing for a few months but I was at the start of tinkering around with Jab Cancel into a Boomerang in a real match. Might be worth checking out.

sasook

Smash Champion
That shows quite a few ways, but no real explanation :lick:

Although I like how creative that got... (bomb footstool > arrow lock to Jab lock) and the whole shield > utilt through platform > Jab lock when they fall)

:3
XD, you don't really need an explanation when it comes to videos, since it's all visual. But yeah, that video is famous for the jab locks setups, it was new a few months ago, you musta missed it.

Another great way to do it is if you notice your boomerang is behind your opponent...a triple jab will send them in the air and they get gale carried to their backs on the ground.
That was in the video.

For my 2 cents, FH weak boomerang -> grab -> fthrow when boomerang comes close -> jab lock. Izaw did that in his matches against Rebaz, I believe.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Note on jab locking. While your opponent is down, you can jab 3 times and fsmash/spin attack/dsmash them. It works nicely and it much easier than a normal jab lock :/ Try it out.

sasook

Smash Champion
Note on jab locking. While your opponent is down, you can jab 3 times and fsmash/spin attack/dsmash them. It works nicely and it much easier than a normal jab lock :/ Try it out.
You would have to jab cancel, I assume?

The real jab canceling, not Link's fake version.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, either single jab or double jab -> crouch -> repeat. Blubba gave me nightmares with those double jab cancels to more double jab cancels..

*shudders*

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
For "The Returning Boomerang Returns!", you can just jump->boomerang over opponent.

Then you can grab them. Or you could zair->grab->fthrow into boomerang->jab lock->pure win

sasook

Smash Champion
For "The Returning Boomerang Returns!", you can just jump->boomerang over opponent.

Then you can grab them. Or you could zair->grab->fthrow into boomerang->jab lock->pure win
Yep, you're right, though that was said earlier in this topic already. Still, you are correct.

sasook

Smash Champion
Ooooooooohhh you meant holding a bomb and then getting jab locked so you'll get out of it...

My bad, yes you're right.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Well... as far as setting up/getting a lock started, here are my main methods.

1. Galerang to the face at close rang, walk or pivotboost to where they land and jablock.

2. BOMBSTOOLLOCK. Frickin' sexy.

3. Platformed stages. If they are on the platform above you and are shielding, attempt to knock them off the platform and fall onto the ground, then jablock.

4. Against very few chars, such as Fox, SH Bair > CraqWalk > Jablock (if they miss the tech) ***at low %'s.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well... as far as setting up/getting a lock started, here are my main methods.

1. Galerang to the face at close rang, walk or pivotboost to where they land and jablock.

2. BOMBSTOOLLOCK. Frickin' sexy.

3. Platformed stages. If they are on the platform above you and are shielding, attempt to knock them off the platform and fall onto the ground, then jablock.

4. Against very few chars, such as Fox, SH Bair > CraqWalk > Jablock (if they miss the tech) ***at low %'s.
I remember that one.....I remember it quite clearly. :psycho:

Hue

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this works consistently against GOOD DI, but I've used (starting from 0%) jab cancel > utilt > jab cancel > utilt > dtilt spike > jab lock. Does some decent damage, is surprising enough that your opponent probably won't tech, and looks cool. I think it might still be workable against DI, but you might have to turn around after the first or second utilt.

sasook

Smash Champion
Except that after a utilt, most opponents jump away. Still, like you said, could work against bad DI.

Hue

Smash Cadet
Except that after a utilt, most opponents jump away. Still, like you said, could work against bad DI.
I don't think they can jump away after a utilt at really low %'s. However, I did test this again, and it turns out it varies depending on the weight and floatiness of the character. It's also somewhat difficult to time, but I think it doesn't matter exactly what part of the sword you hit them with, if you time it right. I'm fairly sure that if your dtilt hits right before they land, it spikes.

**edit** also tried the pivot boost jab lock and was pleasantly surprised to find that it works really well. The pivot animation does cancel the jab, so you can actually do it slightly more quickly than without the pivot, and it's also easier to space the jabs correctly. **edit**

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Its ok sasook im pretty hard to understand sometimes...my ideas...my slang...my insaness...etc...

If only there was a way to canc dair...does anyone know of any quicker way...i thought about mayb throwing the boomerrang while in dair...no luck...

Hue

Smash Cadet
You can either time a bomb to explode in your hand after you land (ZAC the Dair), or drop a bomb then dair so it lands just after you do. Blowing yourself up is the only way I know of canceling a Dair.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Boomerang Canceled Dair works but you'll have to be pretty good with the timing. As you land, if you catch the boomerang you'll trade the D-air's lag for the boomerang's, which is considerably shorter.

sasook

Smash Champion
If only there was a way to canc dair...does anyone know of any quicker way...i thought about mayb throwing the boomerrang while in dair...no luck...
You can either time a bomb to explode in your hand after you land (ZAC the Dair), or drop a bomb then dair so it lands just after you do. Blowing yourself up is the only way I know of canceling a Dair.
You can do this, or you can, as HeroMystic said, boomerang cancel:

Boomerang Canceling

Everyone hates the landing lag on the down air and up air. Well, imagine a way to reduce that landing lag. The boomerang has lag when you catch it right? But it's not as long as the landing for the down air and up air. So, combining this knowledge, we can actually reduce the landing lag on the down air and up air by catching the boomerang as we come down. To perform it, throw the boomerang upwards (remember, if thrown up, it'll come back down, if thrown down from a jump, it'll fly back up), and perform your move. Time it so that as you land, you catch the boomerang.

So how is this useful? Let's say your opponent is on the ledge and you predict they will jump back on. In response to this, you do a short hop down air near the ledge. Turns out your opponent decided to wait until after your move is finished and then punish you for it. Well, if you were to cancel that landing lag, you wouldn't be as easily punished.

Here's a video, at 1:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yXMgN9SZU
i use dair alot...i wouldn't call myself a spammer but i do like to use my kill moves alot! :)
You shouldn't use your kill moves a lot. Doing so decays them, meaning they'll hit less farther and do less damage. You want to rack up damage with projectiles and weak moves, then use your fresh kill moves for the finish. Also, don't use dair a lot. The landing lag is so punishable, and if you haven't been punished for it already, consider yourself a lucky player.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
You're right about that! I have been punished many times...i make sure to never miss on a dair...how long does it take for a move to become "fresh" once again?!

sasook

Smash Champion
I'm not sure, I believe it's like the game only remembers the last 9 moves used or something. Check the tactical boards. Also, these are off topic, so if you have anything further you'd like to ask me about this, either move it to the Q&A thread or resort to PMs.

Related to thread:

Can you jab cancel into a point blank boomerang throw? That might be a set up...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I'm not sure, I believe it's like the game only remembers the last 9 moves used or something. Check the tactical boards. Also, these are off topic, so if you have anything further you'd like to ask me about this, either move it to the Q&A thread or resort to PMs.

Related to thread:

Can you jab cancel into a point blank boomerang throw? That might be a set up...
Technically, yes, but the start up lag on the rang is a bit too much to combo effectively.

I think >_>

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Technically, yes, but the start up lag on the rang is a bit too much to combo effectively.

I think >_>
Actually, you CAN combo into the boomerang, because the getup time of the opponent ends right as the boomerang is being thrown. And if you do things right, it can combo into another jab lock. Lol.

Hue

Smash Cadet
Yeah you can jab lock > jab lock if you use the boomerang, but I don't think it's guaranteed, as I'm pretty sure that the gale boomerang will still have the same chance to not knock them down, even during their getting up animation. If you're lucky, though, you can jab lock someone all the way across the stage and back, which is usually enough to KO heavier characters.

**edit** My bad, misunderstood sasook's question. I'm fairly sure jab cancel > galerang doesn't work. You can always try it, but as Link's faster moves are escapable after a jab if you don't cancel it perfectly, I'm sure that your opponent will be able to act before the boomerang hits them. **edit**

Hue

Smash Cadet
If you want to try it though, you can try short hopping slightly away from your opponent after the jab and then using the boomerang (maybe wavebounced) so you can avoid whatever attack they throw at you if they stay put and do something like an attack or grab.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
I'm not quit sure yet, but it looks like you could setup an infinite with link.
after you setup the jab lock and get to the edge, you MIGHT be able to SH over them and use the boomerang and still have enough time to grab. if you can, you use havok's second method of setting up the jab lock (the returning boomerang returns) which would result in an infinite combo with link, which could easily be followed up with any killing move once your opponent is in killing range.
Sorry if im wrong, im just trying to help.
edit: i just had another idea. you might also be able to SH to the other side of your opponent and throw the boomerang, turn around and grab which sets up for havok's first way to set up for jab lock.
idk

Top Bottom