• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WaveDashing In SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yoshi's shield is pathetic. The shield rolling thing has no use whatsoever, yoshi would be 2x as good if he could jump out of his shield and likewise do all the other things that other characters can do with it.

Its not like itd drastically change his tier position so I think they should do that to Yoshi to make him more playable in brawl because he -SUCKS- in melee. I loved yoshi in SSB 64. His egg attack is awesome though thats the funnest part of playin him.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
You don't even kow anything about the game yet you make such bold statements? You're just fighting with a blind fold on.

Who do you know it's not supposed to be in the game? Did you ask the designers? Did the designers tell you the "waveland special" , as labelled in the action replay debug menu, that it was not supposed to be in the game?

And how do you know WDing makes you win every game? You don't. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't. You're just showing how little you know about the game at this point, I don't even thing it's worth it to reply to the rest of your argument, it's just a wall of moot.

A noob can wavedash anyday, it's not hard. But what separates the noob from a pro is HOW he uses WD.

Wow this is getting more ******** by the second, if you refuse to own up to your ignorance now I'll just leave you to drown in your own ignorance. Make your choice before you reply

You want the truth? Your friends suck. It doesn't matter if they lose to you, but they can't even hit you? They must not even be able to use recovery moves.

And you say WDing is unintentional because it's not in the manual? Do you see how bulky the manual is? They can't include everything.

If what you say is true, ground teching is a glitch, wall jumping is a glitch, L-cancelling is a glitch.

You should put up a scrub warning. This section is so scruby it's not funny. Samus got 3 stocked by Marth because Marth was good. Do you think that WDing gets you automatic kills? If so you are beyond help. You can't compare a shooting game to a fighting game either, in fighting games you have to *master* the character. You can't randomly select one and say "look I'm gonna own you" unless you train with every character in the game often.

The spear/nuke argument is void, I won't even look at it.

People WD to suit their character. C Falcon doesn't need to wavedash, Samus does, I can go on and on about who needs WDing and who doesn't be that isn't the point. You don't understand anything yet so until you learn more about the game it'll be like talking in a different language.

So people who just picked up the game should be able to beat people who played it for years? That's ********, noobs SHOULD get owned. If they don't like it they can go cry in a corner. I'd love to get owned by a "WD'er" as you call it, noobs have this mentality that they can't lose, and when they do they complain about it.

And if you aren't patient enough to learn WDing something is wrong with you. 30 minutes is nothing.
Calm down RE, it's tough that they'll keep complaining, but try not to make them hate the game overall. Yes, wavedashing is advantaging for pros, even I use it a lot, but like you said RE, [B}it doesn't win battles{/B}, and I'm not saying this because I'm mad or because I'm a supreme pro, it's just that n00bs just need to shut their mouths and try to learn it. Obviously, you're not going to mastered it in one day, especially while you are complaining to others. For me, it took like a good 6 to 10 months to actually get used to it. During that whole period, I actually didn't rant about wavedashing, I just keep trying when I get the chance, and now, I'm pretty good at it. so expect some a lot of time to practice.

Anyway, I don't mind if WD is in the next one or not. I prefer an extra challenge from WDing maniacs, but I would really want to face a true pro knows everything from EGing, to DI, to WLing, to Power Shielding, and many other advanced moves. Probably like Ken, but you know, there are others. Also, I hate that option idea. What if a hacker can enable that when the option said not to WD? It wouldn't really matter. Even if it's truthfully off, you're not going win against a pro. They will know how you'll move and you still be KO just as badly. Just lie down n00bs and meet your end (my ranking is a Smash n00b here, but I been playing this game for a good 6 years, so I'm not that pathetic.).

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
to clarify some things
1) I am not ranting...
2) 6-8 months learning to wavedash... isn't that a lil much for any game?
3) I don't dislike wavedash at all.. I think its amazingly awesome what you can do with it and how it looks... however my opinion still stays that Wavedashing would ruin any online play thus ruining that part of the game completely. I garentee you that new people who play this game and get clobbered by pro WD'ers will just leave it and say "that was the dumbest thing ever". Why? because they can't even understand how you are doing that... They could ask you, but its hard to understand and the second u tell them it will take a couple of months to learn... they will lose interest. I would actually take the time to do it if Brawl wasnt coming out so soon.
4) I am not complaining... where do u see OMG I HATE U ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE UNFAIR TO ME!! No actually I don't complain at all (or atleast I think I didn't.... well I didn't mean to... that wasnt the point)
5) Against popular belief (don't harass me for this statement) I no that wavedashing his many levels of depth and is not useful on every character. I also know that wavedashing doesn't automatically snag u kills... but it gives u a major advantage... u CAN NOT deny this statement.

Last thing is that just because I am new here... doesn't mean squawt. Try arguing my points instead of just shooting them down with "rofl nub, no".... o yea that proves alot.

Calm down RE, it's tough that they'll keep complaining, but try not to make them hate the game overall. Yes, wavedashing is advantaging for pros, even I use it a lot, but like you said RE, [B}it doesn't win battles{/B}, and I'm not saying this because I'm mad or because I'm a supreme pro, it's just that n00bs just need to shut their mouths and try to learn it. Obviously, you're not going to mastered it in one day, especially while you are complaining to others. For me, it took like a good 6 to 10 months to actually get used to it. During that whole period, I actually didn't rant about wavedashing, I just keep trying when I get the chance, and now, I'm pretty good at it. so expect some a lot of time to practice.
*This is a kind of response that is sensable*
-But still dude, a 6 to 10 month requirement to learn how to do something in a game is a little harsh don't you think? There are quite a few games I truely mastered... one of them being Pokemon Red. When I was younger and only had 1 system (GBA) and that one game... guess what I did all summer long? Well I got to the point where to get through any of the dark caves where ur screen was pitch black... I didn't need to use Flash b/c I memorized the entire thing. But... that didn't take me a year to master, more of like 3 months.
Anyway, I don't mind if WD is in the next one or not. I prefer an extra challenge from WDing maniacs, but I would really want to face a true pro knows everything from EGing, to DI, to WLing, to Power Shielding, and many other advanced moves. Probably like Ken, but you know, there are others. Also, I hate that option idea. What if a hacker can enable that when the option said not to WD? It wouldn't really matter. Even if it's truthfully off, you're not going win against a pro. They will know how you'll move and you still be KO just as badly. Just lie down n00bs and meet your end (my ranking is a Smash n00b here, but I been playing this game for a good 6 years, so I'm not that pathetic.).
hmm... u got a good point that nubs probably cant do anything vs pros anyways. But atleast they can understand how u are jumping and attacking them instead of u magically moving around the ground.

Just Wondering, has anyone who has mastered wavedashing played a game w/ agreeing to not wavedash? I am just wondering what that person thought of the game (obviously I don't have this expierence). Was it slower, worse, better, harder, not as fun, or what?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
2) 6-8 months learning to wavedash... isn't that a lil much for any game?

3) I don't dislike wavedash at all.. I think its amazingly awesome what you can do with it and how it looks... however my opinion still stays that Wavedashing would ruin any online play thus ruining that part of the game completely. I garentee you that new people who play this game

and get clobbered by pro WD'ers will just leave it and say "that was the dumbest thing ever". Why? because they can't even understand how you are doing that... They could ask you, but its hard to understand and the second u tell them

it will take a couple of months to learn... they will lose interest. I would actually take the time to do it if Brawl wasnt coming out so soon.
Whoever told you it takes months to learn is wrong. It took me 25 minutes. The application is the tough part and there's no reason you couldn't practice wavedashing at the proper times to make use of its many awesome capabilities for attack, defence, edgehogging, spacing, to name just a few.

Practice makes perfect, afterall. Seriously though there are combos in Soul Calibur that are much harder to do than WD but would you remove them if SC went online? No. Hell some of Ivy's GRABS in SCII (Specifically Calamity symphony) are more difficult to pull off than a simple wavedash.

Just Wondering, has anyone who has mastered wavedashing played a game w/ agreeing to not wavedash? I am just wondering what that person thought of the game (obviously I don't have this expierence). Was it slower, worse, better, harder, not as fun, or what?
I tried it as a joke with my friend, to see what having ''honor'' was like, we picked Link and Roy, (the most honorable characters) and agreed not to use any ''advanced techs'' such as short hopping wavedashing, or even edgehogging. Just for a laugh.

We found that we -couldn't- do it. We would just naturally wavedash and SHFFL attacks. It becomes a habit after awhile, and infact playing without ''advanced'' techs requires more mental effort for me than playing with them.

The best gamers play by instinct, hardly even using their vision, im serious. They did medical tests on a pro Starcraft player vs a noob starcraft player and found which parts of the brain they use

Noob : Vision

Pro : Instinct.

The more you play, the more experience you get, the more you know the game, the stronger your instincts become. Some pro smashers can look away from the tv while comboing you to talk to a friend and still 3 stock you, ive seen it happen at tournaments.

Strider.Mars

Smash Rookie
imo

@ saferwaters
"1) I am not ranting"-
-rant= to speak or declaim extravagantly. you seem pretty extravagant to me ;

"2) 6-8 months learning to wavedash... isn't that a lil much for any game?"-
-no it isn't because many of us here have been playing for years, thats plenty of time if you are willing to learn. also, if u feel this way isnt registering online and posting about a game technique a lil much, for any game?

"5) Against popular belief (don't harass me for this statement) I no that wavedashing his many levels of depth and is not useful on every character. I also know that wavedashing doesn't automatically snag u kills... but it gives u a major advantage... u CAN NOT deny this statement."-
-having better reflexes and being smarter are also major advantages, but unlike wave dashing these things are harder to attain in merely 8 months, but you don't see people complaing about that. jus like inreal fighting, people that rely on strikes got beat by grapplers who were willing to learn stand up and ground fighhting

"Last thing is that just because I am new here... doesn't mean squawt. Try arguing my points instead of just shooting them down with "rofl nub, no".... o yea that proves alot"-
-actually being a noob does mean something. it means you know a lil bit less. thats why we (you and me) r nubs.

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
@ saferwaters
"1) I am not ranting"-
-rant= to speak or declaim extravagantly. you seem pretty extravagant to me ;

"2) 6-8 months learning to wavedash... isn't that a lil much for any game?"-
-no it isn't because many of us here have been playing for years, thats plenty of time if you are willing to learn. also, if u feel this way isnt registering online and posting about a game technique a lil much, for any game?

"5) Against popular belief (don't harass me for this statement) I no that wavedashing his many levels of depth and is not useful on every character. I also know that wavedashing doesn't automatically snag u kills... but it gives u a major advantage... u CAN NOT deny this statement."-
-having better reflexes and being smarter are also major advantages, but unlike wave dashing these things are harder to attain in merely 8 months, but you don't see people complaing about that. jus like inreal fighting, people that rely on strikes got beat by grapplers who were willing to learn stand up and ground fighhting

"Last thing is that just because I am new here... doesn't mean squawt. Try arguing my points instead of just shooting them down with "rofl nub, no".... o yea that proves alot"-
-actually being a noob does mean something. it means you know a lil bit less. thats why we (you and me) r nubs.
lol... ur got me on the rant thing... I always just got that rant was firmative declaration but with a majorly negative undertone...
and yea u and me do no a lil bit less... but that doesnt mean we cant learn as fast or faster to catch up. And it doesnt mean that we cant come up with innovate ideas. U just never no what a nub might come up with and often times it may be better b/c they r new and fresh. Similarly to how children sometimes come up with the simpliest suggestions to complex situations.

Whoever told you it takes months to learn is wrong. It took me 25 minutes. The application is the tough part and there's no reason you couldn't practice wavedashing at the proper times to make use of its many awesome capabilities for attack, defence, edgehogging, spacing, to name just a few.

Practice makes perfect, afterall. Seriously though there are combos in Soul Calibur that are much harder to do than WD but would you remove them if SC went online? No. Hell some of Ivy's GRABS in SCII (Specifically Calamity symphony) are more difficult to pull off than a simple wavedash.
****... I am just getting it stuck to me time and time again arent I :p. Anyways, some guy right above u said that it took him 6-10 months. Your right about Ivy's crazy *** skills.... but they were in the move guide to tell u how to do it... the game can even deminstrate it for u... If SSBB did that for WD... my opnion would be completely different.
25 minutes huh? I tried a while back for like 20 minutes with Lugi on training mode and all that... but I couldn't pull off more than 2 in a row let alone move across the stage with it. I was probably doing something wrong.
With Soul Calibur u remind me of the couple of hours I took playing practice mode with Link (I really like Link in everything...he used to be my best charcter, now its Marth).
I tried it as a joke with my friend, to see what having ''honor'' was like, we picked Link and Roy, (the most honorable characters) and agreed not to use any ''advanced techs'' such as short hopping wavedashing, or even edgehogging. Just for a laugh.

We found that we -couldn't- do it. We would just naturally wavedash and SHFFL attacks. It becomes a habit after awhile, and infact playing without ''advanced'' techs requires more mental effort for me than playing with them.

The best gamers play by instinct, hardly even using their vision, im serious. They did medical tests on a pro Starcraft player vs a noob starcraft player and found which parts of the brain they use

Noob : Vision

Pro : Instinct.

The more you play, the more experience you get, the more you know the game, the stronger your instincts become. Some pro smashers can look away from the tv while comboing you to talk to a friend and still 3 stock you, ive seen it happen at tournaments
Defantely have to agree with the instinct thing... and I find it funny that u couldn't do it (that's what I figured would happen with ppl who used it all the time). There are just certain habits that u get into that become nature and half the time u dont realize ur doing it (its understandable). I can look away from the screen and still do pretty well which makes me feel that maybe I am actually pretty good (u can just never know since I have probably only played like 20 different ppl). Of course I can only look away for a lil while before I lose my characters position b/c or an enemy hitting me or a random effect coming up. OO man just talking about it makes me excited about online and how it will work.

Curious: Do ppl on the forums think that beating 3 level 9 comps shows skill? Personally I don't think so.... and do ppl play with Items or w/o mostly? I play w/o (simple yes or no works)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dont try to be too fast. WDing isnt that fast. First perfect your short hopping skills before learning to wavedash. I slide my thumb off of x to shorthop, its easy and works everytime. Next, put wavedashing into your mind as 3 things, and make it a rhythm. shorthop with X, slant your control stick in the diagonal you want to go (Not hard on a GC controller as it has diagonal grooves) then press L, rinse, repeat and recycle.

Smash is mostly about rhythm, not about speed. Just like music.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Saferwaters, this isn't AIM. Please type with proper grammer so that I can manage to read your text. Thank you.

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
@ Mr.GAW .... umm I type like I talk. If you read it as I type it... then it shoulds like someone talking to u :p. And I am sorry that you cant manage to read AIM but thats just how I type on forums/online games/AIM. I switch to normal correct typing on essays... and thats it. Sorry.

@Dylan- I use analog stick for jumping... I also don't use c stick. This probably makes wavedashing hard, I am gonna guess. (its hard to lightly tap up and then quickly but lightly go diagonally down and repeat. It is also hard to do this after always tapping the analog stick hard since I use smashes so much. it is reall difficult for me to do an up non-smash)

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
to clarify some things
OK!
1) I am not ranting in this post.
Well, you are taking to me, so that counts.
2) 6-8 months learning to wavedash? Isn't that a lil much for any game?
I can give you a billion of examples that this statement is not true, but for short, PERFECTION NEEDS TIME. Maybe minutes or hours for you, but months or years seems like more effort. Without this idea in your head for everything, you'll never get better, and you'll always be the same, especially with fighting games.
3) I don't dislike wavedashing at all(We didn't say you didn't.) I think its amazingly awesome what you can do with it and how it looks, (True, it reminds of someone who is "dancing" or something.)however, my opinion still stays that wavedashing would ruin any online play, thus ruining that part of the game completely. I respect that. I guarantee you that new people who play this game and get clobbered by pro WD'ers will just leave it and say "that was the dumbest thing ever". [B(]Maybe so, but WD is more of an extra ability to make you play with better precision and looking cool at the same time. Particularly, the guy would automatically learn from their moves into their own)[/B] Why? because they can't even understand how you are doing that movement. And that's why YouTube.com and Smashboards.com, which is here, is for reference. They could ask you, but its hard to understand (Hard to understand? What are you taking about? It's quite explanatory, but it would be best only to read on fourms.) and the second you tell them it will take a couple of months to learn.(If you want to be perfect, then yes, it will take a couple of months.) Sooner or later, they will lose interest.Not entirely, they'll get even by complaining to this site, including this thread, learn to stop and try to learn how they are doing it and using it for themselves to beat them one day, or just don't really care about that move and just to play for fun.) I would actually take the time to do it if Brawl wasn't coming out so soon.Well, do it right now!

4) I am not complaining, It seem like you are, but we didn't say you did. but where do you see" OMG!!! I HATE U ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE UNFAIR TO ME!!!(I don't see that on fourms on SB.com because I barely go to threads like that.) No, actually I don't complain at all (or at least I think I didn't. (Are you sure about that?I think you did.)Well, I didn't mean to...(Well, you sound like you did it anyway.) you know what, that wasn't the point.( I guess not.))

5) Against popular belief (don't harass me for this statement(I might do it anyway.)) I know that wavedashing has many levels of depth and is not useful on every character (True, and make sure you spell check next time.). I also know that wavedashing doesn't automatically snag you kills... but it gives you a major advantage over them. So, YOU CANNOT deny this statement!!! (I guess not.)

Last thing is that just because I am new here...(Me too, nice to meet you.) doesn't mean squawt(Really? You got balls!!). Try arguing my points instead of just shooting them down with "rofl nub, no...." What you say? Oh yeah, that proves alot. (I guess.) :dizzy:

*This is a kind of response that is sensible*
-But still dude, a 6 to 10 month requirement to learn how to do something in a game is a little harsh don't you think? (Unless you sit there for 3 days straight doing that, you might mastered it, but you most likely to kill yourself in the process.) There are quite a few games I truly mastered, including Pokemon Red (I thought we're talking about WD in SSBB. BORING!!! Oh well, good thing I care to listen to many things.) When I was younger, I only had GBA and that game at the time, And? and guess what I did all summer long? (Going outside and getting some exercise? Went to summer school? Went to beat Ken? Went to Disneyland? Made out with your girlfriend while playing that game...wait a minute, I know now. I was expecting that.) Well I got to the point where to get through any of the dark caves where your screen was pitch black.So what? Soon, I didn't even need to use Flash because I memorized the entire thing. (Good for you.) But, that didn't take me a year to master, instead, it took me 3 months. That's because Pokemon isn't like a fighting game, only an RPG, which is strategy and turn based, not like SSB games or other fighting games, which deals with precision at real-time. Not a very good example.

Hmm...you have a good point that nubs can't do anything against pros anyways.True. But at least they can (or can't? I'm confused) understand how you're jumping and attacking them instead making them thinking that you're magically moving around the ground. Funny :laugh:

I'm just wondering to everyone. Yes? Has anyone who has mastered wavedashing played a game will agreeing to not wavedash?(Once you WD, you'll always WD. It's like an addiction to drugs.) I am just wondering what that person thought of the game (obviously I don't have this experience Seem like you don't). Was it slower, worse, better, harder, not as fun, or what?
It felt more competitive when you are doing it, but it's fun when you're tricking the opponents by "dancing with it." Also note this, everyone has different paces to get better. Not everyone can beat Pokemon just as fast as you can, and it's even more true for a game that require tight precision. Some like to think master it in one day, while others might take a year to truly experience WDing. Besides, it might get taken off anyway because it's a glitch, but who knows...:confused:

And I'm going to sleep. GN!

Banks

Smash Hero
srsly whats with these long *** posts, the fact is wavedashing is no a glitch, its a technique using the physics of the game. People use it because it allows you to do more with most characters in a battle than without. If you can't do it you probably aren't good because 100% of good players can do it. Whether or not it is in Brawl does not matter because it is a different game. If its in it won't change anything.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
@Dylan- I use analog stick for jumping... I also don't use c stick. This probably makes wavedashing hard, I am gonna guess. (its hard to lightly tap up and then quickly but lightly go diagonally down and repeat. It is also hard to do this after always tapping the analog stick hard since I use smashes so much. it is reall difficult for me to do an up non-smash)
Ok well first of all use the c-stick or Perish. I dont care how you do smash attacks but if you dont c-stick your aerials you cant DI with the control stick and that means you cant do things like reversed fairs or non-fastfalled dairs (useful for off the edge spikes)

Second of all, dont ever, ever jump with the analog stick unless you're full jumping. Short hopping is ridiculously hard to do with the control stick, and most of your jumps should be short hops, not full jumps. Full jumps have their uses but overusing them will get you pwnd. Use X or Y to jump ALWAYS as a habit.

The way you play right now makes it impossible for you to wavedash consistantly, if at all. Follow my advice if you want to improve your game and trust me on this one.

To recap

1. Do your smashes with the analog if you WANT but the c-stick is better.
2. Do ALL your aerials with the c-stick. Takes getting used to, but its a must. a MUST.
3. Jump with X or Y. NEVER with the control stick, unless its a full jump, but even then avoid it.

Then learn to wavedash. You have basics to master before you move on to WDing. Shorthopping is the first milestone, master it.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
the people i play with daily dont wave dash, and as such, i rarely use it unless im explicitly practicing with them. i do have one friend here that is almost as good as me, and i do use it when i play him 1v1, but everyone else is a good few degrees weaker than us. i can win with out L canceling, wavedashing, or anything. ive taught them how to tech cause i felt like that was the first step to getting better for them, and they have picked up edge gaurding (they used to just hit and run), and i guess i dont even really know what to teach them next. im working on getting into the habit of shffling and wavedashing. i know its basic stuff by the standards here online, but with the folks i play with, its overkill. i can do it, its just not habit cause its not needed to win....though pillaring has really come out as being necessary against my good friend cause he likes to shield grab. so i just dair into a shine and it gets him every time. he started to pick up that habit and waited a little longer, and now im having to learn to pillar....i always full jump though...GAH...

and yes, its still fun. we played a few games a the beginning of the school year (live in a dorm)...and we picked up melee, and it just kinda stuck. been playing it with them for a good 8 months.

and ya, i love it. i might try and get a video of me and my good friend playing before the end of the year, but i have nothing to record with right now, so its unlikely.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That sucks man. You sound like you have potential but you play with pathetic nubs. I can see why you don't even bother trying to SHFFL and wavedash on them because itd just be wasted and theyd probably scrub out on you.

Try to find some people that don't suck to smash with is my advice, its way funner :)

I have the problem of full jumping out of my pillars too. I can pillar consistantly like I can repeat it for 3 hours if I want but sometimes I dont know WHEN the shine is gonna hit and I wanna fulljump out of the shine right away for the combo...

The solution I came up with is to change the rhythm, dair, WAVEshine, shffled dair, WAVEshine, shffled dair.

Because then if you wavedash out of the shine you can see if you're still eating shield, or if it hit, and if you waveshine then you can chase the shine no problem at all, plus waveshine is good for chasing people when they DI your shines.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
i like to think i had potential, but its far too late for me to be good at melee. i have my eyes set on brawl now. i think that if i can keep up as all the techs develop, ill be in a much better position. i play a lot of games and have been ranked on some to some degree. played UT and CS on PC for a good 2 years and i was really good at halo 2, but never got competitive cause i got fed up with that game.

and like i said, i have one friend who is pretty good. he wavedashes some (like me, we are trying to make it habit)...lol, you know, you asked if people ever played with out wavedashing, which is funny cause a few nights ago, we set the rule that you were only allowed to move through wavedashing.

i must confess, we roll a lot. me having ganon as a main, and his roll being so fast and his wavedashing sucking so hard, its hard for me to practice it. with i play as falco, i dont wave dash much either cause im either in attack distance, or SHL approaching. i do play as marth, and i completely see how handy it is with him, and he is the one i practice wavedashing with.

and hey, they are my friends ya know? i mean, ya, i win 95% of the games, but i find ways to make it fun for myself. i give myself personal goals, just to screw around. i managed to clear someone today with zelda at a mere 30 % (back throw, they use their jump, i sweet spot my fair, i lol) ive started to get good with zelda and mewtwo and im not shabby with ness. but i can also effectivly use fox, falco (god i perfer falco over fox though), marth, shiek, peach, ganon, and cfalcon. my mains being falco, marth, and ganon (but im just as good with shiek, i just dont like the way she plays i guess).

point: there is just something fun about "i WILL kill you with my phantasm meteor smash even if it kills me!!!"

im really tired, so im sorry if that seemed to jump around from topic to topic.

also, i find waveshining to be really hard, and like i was saying, it just seems pointless in my crowd. ive looked for better players...ive activly looked for better players...but nothing shows up. EASTERN NC PLAYERS!!! WHERE ARE YOU?!!?!?!! there is ONE good person here who shffles and wavedashes and jazz, but he works at a hospital and i will never get to play him =[ (he works like 12 hours a day on top of college)

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
[digress]
I'm going to get a new GC controller (A/B/X are all sticking :/). Are there any good 3rd party controllers for WD'ing, or should I just stick with the official controller?
[/digress]

I started playing with Luigi and now it's an addiction. :laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd advise you to use the offical controller, stay away from wavebird if you plan on going to tournaments, they are banned. I've had bad experiences with 3rd controllers so I'd stay away from those too.

Banks

Smash Hero
silyent ninja, wavedashing with falco is mostly used for waveshining, or spacing issues, not to move around with. same with ganon, even less on the spacing most people use his wavedash to waveland and move around platforms more smoothly. also its a good edgeguarding tool, wavedash backwards to edgehog. but with marth it is used like crazy for spacing, moving, mindgames wavelanding etc. so no matter who you play you are gonna wanna learn it and get it down.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
i must say, that was an interesting typo of my name lol. i take no offense though.

i understand how, when, and why its used. its just not needed to fight the people i play with. it would be like how its not needed against low level bots. you can beat them with and with out it.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing is something i take pride in when doing, and kicking *** with.
It's second nature to me now and i would not want to play without it.
With some characters the Wd has less use then with other, for sure, but there is always use for WD-techniques, so use it whereever you can.
SSBM is all about improving your game and totally loving the time you spend learning and practising and hopefully SSBB will be all about that too + more. :)

Banks

Smash Hero
lol i knew there was a y somewhere in there didnt bother to doulbe check. but yea i see what you are saying, you should take dylans advice and find good players, if not in your area, then do a bit of travelling to a nearby tournament. if you can make it to maryland in june i would highly suggest pound 2. lmao i feel like im plairnkks advertiser now ima have him pay me.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I cant wavedash for my life... I am really good at Super Smash but I have never faced or been ale to use a wavedash... here is the thing... Its not supposed to be in the game... thus it shouldn't be. U WD'ers out there must realize the purpose of SSB the series... an easy and fun to play game that has multiple levls of depth. Though WD adds a level of depth it also makes players tha can not WD horrible incomparison.... which is rediculous and against the SSB purpose. If WD was included in SSBB... I garentee you that there will be alot of complaints from newbies who get ***** and cant DO ANYTHING AT ALL.

Like I mentioned before, I am good and vs some of my not as good friends... I won' take a hit in a 1v1. But thats cause of my skill.. not cause of some glitched techinque that makes u seem better than u are. Some argue that it was found by the developers before the game was relased and thus its fair + good. That doesn't make sense though.... if the techinque was actually to be embrassed by SSB creators.. why didn't they put it in the manual. Here is my thoughts: they just wanted to see how long it would ake ppl to find it. They also wanted to see what impact it would have on the game. Curiousity is what drove them to keeping it in the game and not announcing it. Also... if they really wanted it to be a part of the game (which THEY DON'T, I just have a feeling that they don't since nothing points to it) they would have made it easier... for that is the logic behind SSB.

I have seen youtube videos of tournys... there was this one where a very good Samus faced a decent Marth... the marth won b/c he could wavedash. Samus managed to kill him once just showing me how much better he actually was. So, in reality is wavedashing actually what seperates the pros from the decent? I think not; it is more of a handhold for those people who are decent so they can look like pros. Just think about it, in games where a certain gun is overpowered (think online multiplayer like Battlefield *cough* Voss Lar *cough*)... does getting a killing spree of 10-0 really make u good? No, getting a killing spree of 10-0 with the least powerful weapons shows how good u really are.

My final point deals with tournies. The reason why WD is so necesarry in tournies is b/c the goal is to win. Its to get that cash. Not to have fun, though u want to do that. The overall goal is to win... so u do whatever it takes to. Much like a war between 2 countries... if one country has nukes... and the other spears... who do u think will win? It doesn't matter if the ones with Spears have figured out how to space travel while the ones with nukes think that murcury is medince, the ones with spears will lose. Much like how Samus lost to Marth.

If it were to be implemented into SSBB... it would be terrible for online play. Noobs could do nothing to the onslaught of WD'ers. It would lose fan base... definately not gain it. The only way I can even imagine Wavedashing (in its current state) being implentmented into Super Smash Bros Brawl is that if it is an option. A simple option that says wavedashing is/is not allowed. This is the best medium IMO. I hope WD is not in SSBB but if it is... IT NEEDS TO BE AN OPTION.

Reason why I can't actually wavedash: I don't have the patient to learn it properly.... I cando like a single one but not multiple chains like tourny ppl

Cheers,
SaferWaters (the 2 post nub :-p)

P.S. mods... please do not modify my post to someting like (I suck) cause I got my own opinions.
  • This is a competitive Smash site.
  • Wavedashing is part of competitive Smash.
  • Scrubs do not wavedash.
  • You are a scrub.
  • You do not wavedash.
  • You do not play Smash competitively.
  • You should not be posting here.
  • Try http://www.gamefaqs.com instead.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I'd advise you to use the offical controller, stay away from wavebird if you plan on going to tournaments, they are banned. I've had bad experiences with 3rd controllers so I'd stay away from those too.
I never knew that wavebird are banned at tournaments. I wonder why. Anyway, I had a MadCatz version of the controller and it barely last 3 months, so stay with the official one. It's WAY better, and believe me, you don't want to get them.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I never knew that wavebird are banned at tournaments. I wonder why. Anyway, I had a MadCatz version of the controller and it barely last 3 months, so stay with the official one. It's WAY better, and believe me, you don't want to get them.
Actually they aren't usually banned, and I've seen players using them at big tournaments. It's just not reccomended because

a) Your batteries could die mid-match, and it would be really lame for your opponent to sit there while you look for new batteries. Most likely you would forfeit.
b) Someone else could be using a wavebird on the same channel, causing interference and again, your opponent could have you forfeit if this happened.
c) You could get angry and throw your wavebird across the room, breaking it and someone's skull, resulting in your arrest and the end of your Smash career.

So just use a wired controller.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Actually they aren't usually banned, and I've seen players using them at big tournaments. It's just not reccomended because

a) Your batteries could die mid-match, and it would be really lame for your opponent to sit there while you look for new batteries. Most likely you would forfeit.
b) Someone else could be using a wavebird on the same channel, causing interference and again, your opponent could have you forfeit if this happened.
c) You could get angry and throw your wavebird across the room, breaking it and someone's skull, resulting in your arrest and the end of your Smash career.

So just use a wired controller.
Mostly true, but people who would do option C are total noobs and definitely need that.. :laugh:

mrvblonde

Smash Cadet
meh i won't care if they remove wavedashing, not many people use it/care about it enough anyway that it would create a big impact onto the game

as long as marth makes an appearence i'm fine ^_^

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Just what we need, another scrub. We've been through this before, I [or we, but I prefer to not speak for everyone] don't really care what you think because you'll either continue what you're doing now and be a scrub, or waste time arguing until you realize that we are right.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
no, i think you happen to be naive
I think you should be kicked in the teeth. If you think removing wavedashing won't make an impact in Brawl than you're stupid, and a ****tard.

Im ****ing pissed today. I wont put up with scrub ****, you're wrong. You're very, very, very wrong. Infact, every decent player who browses the brawl forum is going to disagree with you, this included but is not limited to

Axem Red
Exodus (as you just saw)
Sensai
Zephyer
Shai
Banks
Me
Superstar

And many others. Keep arguing this and you're going to be called a tool by more than just me, stop being dumb.

Banks

Smash Hero
REO by saying not many people use it, you should rephrase that into none of the casual players use it. You should know that anyone who plays the game competitively or well at all uses it.

mrvblonde

Smash Cadet
1) i stated an opinion
2) you guys just attacked me because i have under 50 posts
3)the WHOLE community of people who play smash don't even know what the hel a wavedash is or any other advanced techniques for that matter, i'm speaking in general not about THIS community where it's competitive play, which i enjoy
4)thereare a million people who will be playing brawl without knowing that there were advanced techniques in the previous game(s)
5) i'm not a scrub
6) no one has to care about what you THINK just because you have over a thousand posts and post in the brawl parts of the forum everyday
7)argue and proove that i am wrong
8) i don't take things seriously online so go ahead, :p, it's all for the amusement anyway

Banks

Smash Hero
REO, you should realize that this basically is the smash community. aside form smashboards there is no other community, just small pockets of noob players who havent looked into the real game and just play for fun.

Obviosuly ssbm sold millions of copies and not all of them use advanced tactics, but i wouldnt go on street fighter boards saying they dont need switchups or w/e the **** they do on there because i dont know the game. ive played it sure, but i suck and dont know anything about it.

mrvblonde

Smash Cadet
dude i know how to play this game, i'm not anoob just because i have under 30 posts

edit: all i said was I WOULDN'T care that much if they removed wavedashing, and dylan i'm so frightened by a nerd who sits besides there computer everyday posting on a forum, lol @ over 10 posts per day

Banks

Smash Hero
I'm not saying you don't know how to play, but you said not many people know or care about it. All the people who are good at the game know and care about it. a larger number of people who are not good at the game do not. so its either quality or quantity you cater to.

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
  • This is a competitive Smash site.
  • Wavedashing is part of competitive Smash.
  • Scrubs do not wavedash.
  • You are a scrub.
  • You do not wavedash.
  • You do not play Smash competitively.
  • You should not be posting here.
  • Try http://www.gamefaqs.com instead.
rlly? this is a competive forum.... well that explains quite a few things then. But I shall continue to post here cause I love SSB.

i would probably bet my money that they are making the game for the people who enjoy it in general, they aren't just making the game for the pros you know
agreed... SSB isn't just a competetive game like CS or something (I don't know completely what I am talking bout since I no nothing about CS... just the general hype of it). Its a great game to pick up and play with friends who have never even played video games b4.
1) i stated an opinion
2) you guys just attacked me because i have under 50 posts
3)the WHOLE community of people who play smash don't even know what the hel a wavedash is or any other advanced techniques for that matter, i'm speaking in general not about THIS community where it's competitive play, which i enjoy
4)thereare a million people who will be playing brawl without knowing that there were advanced techniques in the previous game(s)
5) i'm not a scrub
6) no one has to care about what you THINK just because you have over a thousand posts and post in the brawl parts of the forum everyday
7)argue and proove that i am wrong
8) i don't take things seriously online so go ahead, :p, it's all for the amusement anyway
O.... another guy who has a similar opinion... good to know I'm not alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom