• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing for me and my friends

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Here's wavedashing for me and my friends:

We know how to do it, but we've got something to ask about it.

We can quite easily peform it, but we don't see the use for it. We watch pros on youtube always doing it, but we don't now why it even comes in handy. For us, we just view it as something you can do, but with no ideal purpose. It just looks like another useless and flashy technique to us. :(

We can only do it slowly, too. Not like some others we've seen that do it consistently, mostly Germ's Link and Eggz' marth, they're doing it a lot! :p I guess they're just tapping x very fast, holding the analog downwards to a corner, and pressing L/R quickly over and over again to do it that fast? Like that's how you do it, but just very fast, right? Sorry, I'm getting off track here.

The only use we've seen is to waveland onto a platform onto the ledge and then rise for the invincibility frames or to grab a ledge to stop your opponent from recovering. But that's all. Even then, when we attempt it, we mess up a lot and rather than doing it like normal as if it appears you've never left the ground, we tend to jump normally and then wait till we're about to land and do it lol. I guess that's down to practice - which we haven't as we've yet to see an ideal use. Besides, when others we've seen are doing it so fast that it appears as if they've never left the ground at all, how'd they do it with the Gamecube pad's big and blocky L/R buttons. I mean, maybe they're usually modded or something or keep their fingers tight and downly held on the L/R buttons?

I mean Aniki does awesome without it, too. Kinda putting me in a weird situation on wether to implement it into my gameplay or not. Which, I doubtfully will. I just don't see it as very useful at all. :(

Any good reasons or anything? I'm confused, I wanted to start getting competitive into Melee in my local scene - I started a few days ago.

Thanks for your contributions! :bee:

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
There's no golden answer. Is spacing important in the game? Yes. So why wouldn't you want to implement wavedashing? I could give you a list of situational uses, but it's really just as clear-cut as that.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
One good use of it is getting onto the edge faster than turning around and short hopping.

But like any other technique in the game, wavedashing is a tool used in specific situations, just like how rolling and shielding are used for defensive purposes. It doesn't automatically win you the game if you know how to do it, you have to learn which situations wavedashing is useful for.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Thankyou everyone! :)

Just one thing, how did ya'll practice it? Simply going onto training mode for half an hour till you had it perfectly?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Thankyou everyone! :)

Just one thing, how did ya'll practice it? Simply going onto training mode for half an hour till you had it perfectly?
It's different for each character, and you learn it more easily if you try to work it into a match. Practice edgehogging by wavedashing onto the edge, then start to integrate it into your dashdancing.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
I just used Fox + Icicle Mountain in training mode. Really, though, if you can incorporate it into your game at all, you'll get better with time.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
WDing gives you more options overall. If you double jump under a platform your usual options would be to land on the platform, or fastfall through it. With WDing you can land on the platform, fastfall through the platform, Waveland left on the platform, Waveland right on the platform, fastfall through it and Waveland right, or fastfall through it and Waveland left. There you go, you just changed 2 options to 6 options with wavedashing(not including attacks) which overall makes you less predictable.

Juss givin more examples. ;)

I practiced WDing over and over till I got it right.

Pi

Smash Hero
1) Out of shield.
-Either to get a grab; Marth Fsmashes your shield, wavedash out grab.
-To put yourself in a better position, like behind the player
-Or if you see them approaching, but have enough time to wavedash out of shield instead of shielding the hit; I see a fox approaching high, I assume he's going to aerial, I'm in my shield currently, I wavedash back -> Dtilt where he lands.

2) On/off platforms.
-Allows for full range of aerials in both directions
-Also implement wavelanding, it's a different way to approach, keep your opponent guessing; instead of always jumping -> aerial/running at them -> attack, you waveland, basically gives you a different height for your aerials.

3) To approach.
-If your character has good tilts that you cannot perform out of a run, wavedashing will allow you to approach quicker than walking into it.
-You also have full range of motion for any of your attacks, as opposed to having to wait to crouch cancel -> smash/dtilt.

4) To retreat/avoid attacks.
-If you know, or even think, your opponent is approaching in a certain way, wavedash back -> anything

5) To grab the ledge.
-Very simple, yet very effective, I can't tell you how many ledgehogs I've gotten due to this. If you want to take it 1 step further (and you should) quickly, VERY quickly, tap down (and let go quickly) as soon as you're off of the stage and you'll grab onto the ledge extremely fast, this closes the window for you to be hit by a recovery.

I would stress that the most important use for wavedashing is out of shield.
If you ever no longer need to shield, and need to move forward or backwards, wavedash out instead of letting go of shield, then running to where you need to be.
It's extremely effective.

Also some advice, don't get discouraged if you get punished for missing wavedashes, you can't get better at them if you don't practice. Spam them in friendlies till you are 100% consistent with them then you can focus more on 'playing smart'. There are steps that you need to take to get better, some times these steps lead down, but it's all toward a higher goal.

How often you wavedash/waveland is going to depend on your character, and the playstyle you want to have. Characters like jiggs/peach/DK/bowser really don't wavedash much (but out of shield is used by everyone), and significantly less than characters like luigi/samus/falco/fox (shinedash)

Some things to remember:
There is a time during the wavedash in which you cannot do anything, so in a tight spot if you can walk instead, go for it.
Wavedashing will not automatically win you matches, most likely people you use to do better against you will start to do worse with because you're attention will be focused more on wavedashing, this is common and a necessary direction for you to head in, and after you're comfortable with wavedashing you'll have a lot more options to play around with than if you didn't. Don't get discouraged.
Wavedash OUT OF SHIELD. <<<<<<<<<<<
Since you play falco (below) learn to wavedash out of your shine, allows you to cover more options than if you always jump out of it.
tl:dr

wavedash out of shield.

Spife

Smash Master
I mean Aniki did awesome without it, too. Kinda putting me in a weird situation on wether to implement it into my gameplay or not. Which, I doubtfully will. I just don't see it as very useful at all. :(
You're forgetting Anika was apart of Japans metagame a long time ago, and only didn't wavedash with Link. Wavedashing a necessity now.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
wavedash out of sheild is amazing.

use it.

bait a laggy move, sheild then wavedash out and you get a free grab or combo starter.

i dont wanna sound like a **** but you fact the you dont understand the importance of wavedashing indicates your level of play. wavedashing gives you more options, improves mobility, opens doors to things you previously couldnt do. Helps form more complicated and less predictable movement patterns.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
i had wavedashing down when i started
i didnt know the use for it at all when i tried it in matches

eventually wavedashing becomes almost natural to you and you find uses for it when you play

gm jack

Smash Lord
i had wavedashing down when i started
i didnt know the use for it at all when i tried it in matches

eventually wavedashing becomes almost natural to you and you find uses for it when you play
Exactly. Over time, more uses will become apparent. As it stands, I use it most for changing momentum when running (e.g. dashing at them then wavedashing back when they commit to an attack then punish it. Mindgames 101), but am gradually getting more uses for it.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
If you can master wave-dashing, then you can move on to wave-landing.

Ohhhh the possibilites.....

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'd recommend trying to find someone in Regional Zones that actually does wavedash and would be patient enough to teach you it's uses. I used to be the same way. I seen no point in wavedashing.....then i got my *** handed to me by a couple players and seen that it's really vital when trying to play competitively. Plus, matches become way better :)

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
i dont wanna sound like a **** but you fact the you dont understand the importance of wavedashing indicates your level of play. wavedashing gives you more options, improves mobility, opens doors to things you previously couldnt do. Helps form more complicated and less predictable movement patterns.
well he said he started just a few days ago...

And yeah one specific way I use it a lot is out of a dash to change direction when I'm outside of the range where you can dashdance turnaround. just helps to move around faster.

and thats just in addition to oos and everything else thats been said.

Pi

Smash Hero
record a match of you and your friends and i will analyze every chance you had to wavedash and have it be effective ^^
one time offer

people who don't wavedash tend to roll too much
which is mad predictable
especially once you learn how to counter it
it's like riding a bicycle. I've fought 2 people who roll in excess so now i know how to deal with it
so any opponent i have who rolls i pick up on it and i punish the **** out of em.

working on spot dodge atm

Oracle

Smash Master
It's faster than dashing and you can do more stuff from it. You can't do a dash->tilt or smash, you have to WD->tilt or smash to hit an opponent that's just out of reach.

KHON™

Smash Apprentice
k so try wavedashing and pressing a....the attack is pretty instant if you ask me.

now try rolling and pressing a, see the lag. in melee you need all you can get.

at first i learned and didnt incorperate it but when you play just mess around with it ( try going towards them then WD back, if they put up there shield or miss an attack. boom you did your job then u grab or punish.)
youll eventually do it with out second guessing

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Wave dashing is "supposed" to be used for moving slow characters fast and fast characters even faster, I think it can come in handy in some situations. It also is as someone mentioned earlier, it is quite flashy like dash dancing. I recommend that you try fox-trotting, it is a very helpful tech.

Top Bottom