• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Water Gun Gimping?

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'd just like to know which of the characters Squirtle's Water Gun gimps. So far I know that he gimps most horizontal recovery characters like Luigi and characters with crap recovery like Link. Also that his water gun "eats" the PK Thunder from Ness and Lucas. Also that he can push back Ike's Up+B. I was wondering if there are any characters that would "seem" ungimpable by it but can be manipulated with the Water Gun.

I main Zero Suit Samus and have been looking at PT as one of my many possible secondary characters, knowing if there are any odd gimping capabilities of Squirtle would help immensely.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Anyone and everyone who has a predictable recovery (up/side/diagonal).

Unfortunately, though, if all you're looking for is the water gimp, go with Mario instead. FLUDD has better range and stays out longer if I remember right. He has less weaknesses, has a cape, doesn't worry about Stamina, and is a much easier character to learn because you don't have to concentrate on three characters and switching. Don't try to main/secondary PT with the intention of only concentrating on Squirtle, who can be quite tricky in his own right.

HOWEVER, Squirtle's charge time appears to be MUCH quicker, he can MOVE while charging with no hindrance to his air speed, and it is MUCH more discreet (Meaning that you can fully charge any time, anywhere, and your opponent probably will not notice it and thus not take any precautions against it, while Mario stops moving horizontally completely even in mid-air, so charging it while recovering is a no-no, and he gets a huge FLUDD on his back, with LOUD charge sound effects which basically telegraph that he's planning to gimp you in the near future). You also get the advantage that people believe that Squirtle's Water Gun is useless (HA! Far from it), while they usually know too well to beware Mario's. Also, Squirtle can jump offstage to use it because of his better recovery than Mario's if I remember right, although don't quote me on that last one...

But to answer your original question in detail, almost everyone can be gimped that doesn't auto sweetspot from below, or has been pushed far away that they are relying on their Up B to grab the edge on the way down. If someone is stupid enough to use their third jump early, squirt 'em. Even some tethers can be gimped by pushing them far enough out of reach, if you're daring enough to jump off and squirt... Key characters to watch out for are Ike (both recovery options. You can spray him as he pokes his head up during Aether), other Squirtles, Charizard, stupid Olimars who believe it's better to land on the stage (Some actually do this), Samus (If her screw attack doesn't sweetspot. I forget. Otherwise, don't bother.), Snake (Even if he's smart enough to be too far away to get grabbed, he still isn't safe! :p), it forces a stall on a gliding character like MK if I remember right, Kirby with his Final Cutter, King Dedede with his Super Dedede Jump, Bowser, I believe Diddy Kong doesn't sweetspot the edge with his Barrel Rockets, but I might be wrong, Donkey Kong, someone correct me if you can't spray a Fox/Falco/Wolf using his Illusion/Phantasm/Flash, as I'm pretty **** sure you can, and blow them away if they charge up their Fire moves above stage level by accident, Ice Climbers using Squall Hammer, throw one out towards a Jigglypuff for giggles (it won't work. Just do it for fun. =P), Lucas and Ness during PK thunda, Luigi (I believe you can even spray him during his Cyclone recovery), Mario, Peach if you knock her out of her floating, SHEIK AND ZELDA are great targets if you hit them during their "warping" animation, as they're pushed back before the warp (Meaning they will come up short 90% of the time! XD), and last of all, do it against Yoshi, as you can't knock him out of his second jump, anyways.

But seriously, if you're committed to learning ALL 3 PT characters, use PT. If you only want to use Squirtle for his Water Gun, go with Mario instead.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I'd try practice mode on a custom stage with an artificial ledge and a moving platform can help you with aim. Just position the computer character on to it.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I've actually only ever done this once, and it was on accident.

It had just shield-water gunned a Kirby who landed on stage with his up-b. He got pushed off and was in freefall mode because of it.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Hopnestly, the only character's I've never gimped with Water Gun are Metaknight, Pit, Charizard, and Peach.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
We need to make a thread dedicated to the proper possible applications of Water Gun. I don't even charge it anymore unless I'm against Ike or Luigi.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the irrelevance but, Bouse, your signature is awesome. Can i steal it?:chuckle:

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
To seriously answer that, they may have more priority.

There's a lot of articles that needed to be written. I think I'll start doing some.

Top Bottom