• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Waft: Serious Potential

Percon

Smash Lord
I'm going to use this topic to address my thoughts about a move that see has incredible potential: the Wario waft. This move is unlike any other move that I've ever heard of, and I have a feeling that Wario players will need to familiarize themselves with this move greatly in order to succeed with him. I know that it's hard to judge a move you know nothing about, but bear with me.

I'll derive all my assumptions from here:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/wario.html

It tells you a lot more than you think. What we know (99% sure of) is:

-VERY good range. Never have I seen a hitbox so large (that's not a final smash). This will no doubt help Wario, whom I believe will have very little range.

-Good knockback/damage. We can assume that an explosion would have those traits. No clue what derection it'll send 'em in, but we can assume it has ample killing power.

-Slight recovery properties (you go up when you use it)

What we don't know (and what will decide the usability of the move):

-Startup time. Since this is a finisher with great range, I doubt startup time will be too much of an issue. One thing to note is that in one of Snake’s codex conversations, Snake is warned “if his belly starts to bulge, watch out”. This makes me thing that there MAY be some considerable starting lag on this. Though, if Wario’s FS is a large fart, that could be what he was referring to.

-Lag. Again, finishers can have plenty of lag on them so long as it hits

-"The timer". This is the big one. What will determine the usefulness of this move (mostly) is how long we will need to wait between maximum power farts (wow I sound stupid saying that :-/ ). Ideally and realistically, it would be two minutes. This be great for standard 8-minute matches, so that Wario can use one of these almost once per enemy stock (and the last life just kill with something else).

-Does Wario start the match with a fully charged fart? Might be useful, though I doubt it’ll work this way. Also, does the build-up stay after you die?

Some things the move could be used for:

-Finisher. It’s an attack with (probably) really good killing potential, so all you’d need to do is to combo into it, assuming Wario can combo half-decently

-Recovery. It seems he’s lifted up when he uses that move. Perhaps this can be and alternate way to recover (if his up B is something else). It would get rid of your farting build-up, but I guess it beat dying. also, in the codec convo it's confirmed that "he can fart to fly around, too"

-Edge guarding. It seems like this attack will go “below” the stage, and with it’s huge hitbox it would be GREAT for edge guarding.

-Mindgames. If this move is as good as I think it’ll be, players will be awfully wary approaching a Wario about to go off...

among other things.

Some other B moves that may relate to this one:

-Neutral B. I think this is where Wario eats stuff thrown at him and can bite people… which got me thinking... what if his farting build-up was boosted by eating projectiles? How awesome would that be? Especially the grenade we see him eat… where does all that all go?

-Up B. One possibility is that his up B works like his vB for recovery, only you can chose the path in which you fly. I kind of doubt this.

So that’s it. I hoped you enjoyed my analysis, and that you now see why I think this move will rock. Thoughts?

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Thanks! Being a pretty defensive player, I think a very defensive Wario would suit me well.
And me being an all out attacker, Wario's supercharged flatulence from chugging grenades would be godly in combination with running then over With motorcycles and Wario's "Nuclear Fart" Final Smash.

M.K

Level 55
Very, VERY good write-up, at least two paragraphs in (I'll finish after this writing :chuckle:)

BTW, how exactly do you figure the hitbox size?

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
you make a lot of good points. Wario should have a unique play style due to the timer on this move, if it is actually a good finisher. I would actually thing that the move probably has little start-up time, just like a real fart. I would also assume the belly bulge thing probably is just an indicator of how charged the move is at the moment.

ColossalSmurf

Smash Rookie
I've always thpught it will be a badass move.. I mean it's got huge potential.. and explosions are useally pretty devastating. so being able to call one almost at will seems pretty potent.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
let's just hope it doesn't work like Roy's Neutral B, or Pika's Skull Bash...

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
yep, they added a lot of attack's like that in melee: pikachu, pichu, marth, roy, luigi, ness...

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
gt4g4

This move looks like it will be a great move but it will probaly only be effective a few times in a match. If it spikes it looks like an awesome edgeguard.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
If Wario's FS makes his special moves stronger, what will that do to the Wario Waft?

Maybe we'll get to see that mushroom cloud after all... yikes!

BTW, if the Wario Waft launches him into the air at maximum charge, just think of all the insane edgeguarding stuff you can do with that! You would literally be able to jump off the edge, blast an opponent when you're right above them, and launch yourself back onto the stage all in one move. If this thing can spike...!

Percon

Smash Lord
Ah, yes, good observation. I suppose it's got a lot of potential as a techchase move as well. I mean, the hitbox covers an area larger than many characters' techroll range.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Wario Waft in Action!

BOOM! A green cloud of gas! Enemies are scatteres like leaves, and it's launching him a fair distance into the air.

I heard it was harder to KO opponents now, with most KO's happening around 120% or so. With that said, I guess Sonic being knocked off with that stream of smoke following him at 126% shows this to be a KO attack. I wonder just how far into the attack this screenshot is, or how much it's charged up; that would tell us alot about the knockback on the Waft.

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
He's going to be great. I'm maining him. Just cause he's so different. I was wondering about the Wario Chopper though. Do you think you'll be able to use it in the air? It seems like its going to be like Turnips. How you can't do it in the air, because you need to get on and ride it around. Another thing it says that you only have one chopper on the screen I wonder if you'll have to go jump back on it or if you have to run up to it and use side b again. Hopefully it's going to be like Sonics Dash Spin so we can jump with it.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the Wario Waft is definitely a move to watch out for. I also had similar thoughts about charging it, and how eating projectiles could potentially decrease the amount of time you need to wait until it is maxed out. Can you imagine the potential of that in a team battle? I mean, having your teammate purposely throw things at you so you could eat them in order to devestate your opponents even quicker? Awesome.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really think that his biting attack is neutral B. I think it has other purposes (damage/garlic), too.

It would be interesting if he could eat all NON-energy projectiles. Like, you know how PSI magnet only takes in thunder/lasers? Well, if wario could eat all of the physical stuff (bombs, grenades, etc), that'd be cool

Though, in a best case scenario, he'll eat ALL projectiles.

Top Bottom