• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Wario's Eat is completely canceled if he gets hit (but the item still goes into his stomach).

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Reflex, Glutonny and Malcolm videos make me wanna play Wario forever... awesome job on those matches Reflex. you ***** that Marth lmao.
would be nice to see you using the dthrow CG on Falco...
you're really good at using bite against MK. good job with that!
things I noticed from those matches:
1. if MK whiffs an UpB or you shield it, that should ALWAYS net a free clap or waft.
2. shut down MK's recovery options as best you can(by throwing the bike FORWARD, not downwards, so he's forced to stay far away from the stage) and then punish if he uses drill rush.
3. fair is an awesome move.
4. if MK ever charges an fsmash or dsmash, just fullhop dair them! it's pretty much a guaranteed hit!
5. I've said this before but a gliding MK is a nearly defenseless MK! nair can clank 1st hit and hit second hit, fair is guaranteed to at least clank with glide attack, bair will also clank but isnt guaranteed because the hitbox doesnt linger, fullwaft is guaranteed because of super armor, fsmash is also guaranteed because of super armor
6. you can dash attack or dtilt to disrupt MK if they recover to the ledge with downB

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Ah, thanks for the help guys. I find that I'm pretty terrible at Smash, and recently especially as Wario. One thing I've been trying to use often is the nair that has been mentioned a lot, but short hopping instantly into a nair seems almost impossible as I'm trying to DI myself at the same time, so I always end up doing any other move. Rising aerials in general are really hard for me. FYI, I'm using Y + A, as I imagine is best.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Digital Limit, try letting the control stick go and sliding your thumb from Y to A. Whenever you want to do a sh nair, just let the control stick go back into the center position and do the slide. Then immediately after you can move the control stick to maneuver in the air! Works like a charm!

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Thanks Pwneroni, I'll jump into trainer and give it a shot. Is there an easy way to get my videos online if I want some advice? This is probably something I should be Googling, but if I had to guess I can probably grab the replay files off of an SD card if I save 'em on there?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
No, they're not actually mpeg files or anything, they're game button pressing data or something lol. You can just use a video capture card or video camera or something.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Im pretty sure there is a thread that will record your replays for you.

if im not mistake, YoshQ runs the thread.

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Hah, I didn't mean to convey that I thought they were anything other than gamedata, in the same way Halo Reach deals with replays. But I imagined that I could take those files and have them converted somehow, probably through someone with the hardware I lack, e.g. capture card. But hey, maybe I'll just set up a camera. To the University Library!

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Diddy's most vulnerable time is when he's recovering. one thing that I noticed a long time ago but NOONE does is dryguarding diddy. when diddy is recovering, 80% of the time, he will diddy flip to the ledge.

GRAB THE LEDGE BEFORE HE FLIPS TO IT

this way diddy will flip past the ledge and most likely underneath the stage. if he doesnt have his second jump, he's probably not gonna make it back. with his second jump, it's still a free dair or waft or an easy edge guard.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whoa what the heck is dryguarding? I've never heard of that before!
Well, in Pokémon, drypassing is what they call it when you use Baton Pass without using any stat-up moves prior.

It would seem that a reasonable parallel is edgeguarding without throwing out an attack, which is what a well-timed edgehog would be.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
So edgehogging then haha :p dryguarding sounds way cool though!

Blue Rogue, those matches are really quite brilliant. Awesome DI, SDI, banana use and all around gameplay. However I noticed that your tires were pretty much wasted, and they have potential to be a fantastic tool much like Diddy's bananas! Check out the Tire Section in the AT thread if you want to help explore THE NEXT LEVEL OF WARIO! If you're that good with bananas, I can only imagine what you can do with tires!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So edgehogging then haha :p dryguarding sounds way cool though!
Technically, just hovering around their general space and trying to create pressure that way counts, too, though I don't think it needs its own name.

I don't think footstooling would count, as you're actively attempting to do a form of attack.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
note: when I say ledgehop, I mean droping off the dge and using your double jump to get back onto the stage.

Dryguarding is something I've been thinking about for quite a while actually... it's edgeguarding without the intention to actually kill them. using the edgehog as a mindgame. I'll give some scenarios:

Falco gets fsmashed. DIs. coming back to the stage. Wario grabs the ledge. Oh no, Falco cant recover to the ledge. SideB's onstage. Wario does a ledgehop nair. nair beats out Falco's sideB. Falco gets knocked offstage without his double jump which he previously used to recover. easy edgeguarding for Wario now.

Diddy is recovering. uses second jump to DI. floats near the ledge. (here's the interesting part) Diddy cant use the kick to knock Wario off the ledge because if he does, he's gonna lose his UpB and die. diddy does regular sideB, Wario isnt knocked off. Diddy then has to charge barels from below stage with Wario right there. free dair or fart to end diddy's stock.

Alternatively, diddy could go straight to the barrels when he sees you grab the ledge. I dont need to explain how punishable diddy recovering onstage with barrels is. even if he manages to recover onstage with the sideB, the landing lag on that is considerable and should net you a free ledgehop uair.

see the art of dryguarding is just to put your opponent in a bad position. sometimes it makes you get them ofstage without their second jump, sometimes it leads to them losing a stock. sometimes it just means they are forced to recover onstage and you get a free punish. either way. it's almost never to your disadvantage.

Wario's great air mobility also means his ledgehop can go very far into the stagebefore touching the ground so you can ledgehop uair, fair, bite, dair or nair in most situations.

EDIT: Reflex I know what edgehogging is. that's not what dryguarding is. although you were correct with the Pokemon reference. It's similar to dryhopping. which is doing random shorthops with no intention to attack, just to bait your opponent's reaction. A technique that no doubt a lot of you already use and is a great part of Wario's metagame.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Ooh I like that! Something even better would be to edge crash the bike, throw it up and THEN grab the ledge. If you have time, that is.

BPx

Smash Lord

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
I figured I'd post these here until I get some recent videos up. These are doubles matches from January(vs the two best Iowa players), I had to pick up a random partner since mine ended up bailing :[

G1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YWZQGilmAg&feature=channel_video_title
G2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slIJj5dk3sY&feature=relmfu

Tournament this weekend though, I'll try to record some stuff. Really working on incorporating tires recently :)
Just started watching the first video, but right away you're getting really predictable or at least stale with your spot-dodge into side smash repetition.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
stop airdodging into the ground when MK is waiting to punish you

stop wasting your double jump when you recover. unless you need it to DI, your recovery should be bike > double jump > UpB if needed. you should never waste your jump if you're recovering high because you have no falling options

use more DACUS and bite.

some impressive stuff in there though. the part where you popped out of nado and farted instantly. I've always wanted to do that

BPx

Smash Lord
Just started watching the first video, but right away you're getting really predictable or at least stale with your spot-dodge into side smash repetition.
Yeah, it was from January. I just started playing in August, I'll try to record some sets from this weekend (and the 4 d3s coming to our local :(((( )
edit: yeah, just rewatched, didn't even notice that. should have varied bite in there after joker picked up on the habit

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
vs Toon Link
Pwneroni vs Dmac r1 [April-2011]

Tires seem to help keep stage control in this matchup, have to be careful though since TL's projectiles destroy the rubbery circles of goodness (except for bombs strangely). Shoutout to Dmac, best TL on the west coast!

Geerz

Smash Cadet
Good match Pwn, nair gimping is 2pro and TL can't kill us until like 150, but you should dair more vs tl, it completely ***** him

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha dude Dair has like 0 range! TL is super quick and slippery, so you need to use moves with bit more range to be able to reach him (like Fair, BAIR, Uair and Nair). Even though I love Dair, sadly it ain't used as much in this matchup :p

Yeah I love how TL can't kill us llololollololol!

Geerz

Smash Cadet
I guess you're right, I play a friend who has a good tl and I find that dair just ***** him. But we need more marth videos that MU is hard as hell

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Glutonny vs Leon

Glutonny is an awesome Wario player (which country is he from, like Sweden or somewhere near there?) and even though his playstyle is different than most Warios, you may be able to learn a few things from watching his vids. There are tons of matches against Leon, a really awesome Marth player, because their sets went to game 5 of Grand Finals 1 and 2 haha.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Glutonny is from France I beleive.

be careful when you take tpis from Euro videos. we tend to be way more aggressive and flashy than American playstyle which is typically campier and slower. Glutonny just does what he wants because he's so damn consistent and he spaces/times everything perfectly.(that kid is only 15 for chrissakes)

However, Europe do have more/better marths than America so... yeah. that's probably where u wanna look for good marths.

I could try to record some MMs against Anaky if u wanna see what Wario SHOULDNT do in the Matchup.

Geerz

Smash Cadet
I think he's french, but not positive. And I have seen his matches with leon, mr. R and ally haha. He's awesome though!

:phone:

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Yeah the strangest thing.... ever since I've started focusing on tires, my playstyle has become a lot more patient and campy. I don't approach as much with Kung Fu anymore, simply because I am either walling/trapping with tires, or trying to get more tires xD

France is awesome haha. You can learn something by watching any player, be it Glutonny or SuperShyGuy's Wario. I can totally see how Glutonny's tire game influenced mine, but do I try to totally copy his playstyle? No, I just see what can benefit me, then "borrow" that style or technique and make it my own!

Top Bottom