• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario ruins amazing controllers

OverLade

Smash Hero
*Flash back a 2 months*

I find 6 controllers under my dresser. 3 are thumb slicers, 3 arent. None of them are that great but I decide that if I take them apart I can build 2 or 3 amazing controllers. I order the twi wire thingys and get cracking. I make Scar, Purple Haze, and Black Power (3 controllers). I give Black power to my brother and Purple haze to my trainee. I keep scar for myself. For a month I enjoy incredible reactionary sensitivity and I'm able to perfectly execute with MK and in Melee.

Then, I picked up Wario. The control stick sensitivity made him feel amazing. My microspacing game was amazing. And everything was good...except I kept playing Wario. I won a tournament with him but kept playing him. The aggro/speed/weaving was addicting. But little did I know...that he was eating away at Scar, my masterpiece. One day I noticed something wrong with Scar. He wasn't responding to me like he usually does. I thought I was just playing badly. Maybe that burrito I had at Chipotle was slowing my reaction time down and making me less technically precise? No. It was no accident.

I had played Wario so much, that all the fastfalling and weaving completely worn down my perfect controller :(

I still had practice up for WHOBO though, so I picked up two of the old controllers and made another new one. Then I took Scar's face plate for aesthetic reasons and put that on. BAM. Amazing controller. My MK is godlike once again. But then, I want to play Wario, because it's ****ing awesome. So I play Wario for a few weeks, and low and behold, my controller loses its sensitivity and the default axis shifts slightly upwards just like the first Scar did.

*flash forward to present*

Playing a technical wario isn't possible with a white controller imo (Control stick isn't sensitive enough), but anything less durable won't last very long. Has anyone else had stories of this happening?

WHOBO is next weekend, and I have a new silver controller that isn't as sensitive as Scar, but gives me a bit more freedom than a white controller. I'm not gonna play too much Wario while Im in Texas lol, but I honestly think this character is predisposed to ruining control sticks if you weave too much.

Or maybe it's just me?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
LOL!! Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've played Wario almost exclusively since 2008, and have only had minor controller problems. My first controller was a purple one I won off my friend in a $4 mm, I painted the front plate yellow so it was yellow on the front and purple in the back! Too cool haha. That controller actually lasted until July 2010, when the c-stick started not responding.

I retired the Wario controller, and pulled out Lil' Blue, my friend's controller that he colored blue the same day I colored my Wario controller yellow. It's performed flawlessly ever since, and I play (imo) one of the fastest Warios out there.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Old school gamecube controllers give me the most control. Unfortunately, I wore them all out(joysticks get all wobbly). It's definitely not you

I have a white controller right now and although it feels more sturdy, I feel like I have to exert way more physically to avoid messing up.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Thinking about it, white controllers do seem to have much worse sensitivity, IMO they feel loose around the "edges" but too hard to move on the "inner" positions, if that makes sense.

So yeah, platinum controllers ftw.
You're absolutely right. The minute tilts of the control stick of every direction arent very sensitive on white control sicks. Yesterday as MK I was using one of M2K's white's and I couldn't do spontaneous Dtilts (I always ended up Dsmashing).

Personally I think Black controllers have the best control sticks but they don't last very long in their prime. I'm using a platinum right now but I wish it was a little more sensitive. Hopefully I can break it in a bit more before WHOBO :(
random note: I don't know exactly how long it takes, but if you play with a "thumb slicer" long enough you can develop a callus on your thumb which makes using them not painful, worth it IMO since it opens up a wider range of possibly amazing controllers you can use
Lol I've met a lot of people who do this but personally I like my thumbs the way they are XD.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I use a Purple, personally. It's lasted me since the GC came out, and the control stick is still fine. Purples > all other controllers for durability. I also have a black one I keep specifically for tournament, so I don't wear it out.

Or maybe I'm just lucky and have a ridiculously durable controller. A positive defect, perhaps.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I have been using the same controller for the last.. since i started playing smash.

A silver gamecube controller. It has held up well aside from the analog stick. The rubber is starting to break and get slippery. The grip on the analog stick has completely rubbed of and it feels smooth (quite a unique feeling actually.) but its getting all cut up.

I painted it matrix themed and now the paint is chipping and what not because i couldnt put enough layers of paint nor clear coating on it (thanks Lows for not selling me paint or anything.)

I am thinking about getting a brand new white one from playasia.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Wow.

I now know why I could not fastfall at MLG Dallas. I was using a brand new white controller (well, about 2 months old actually, if that), and it would not fast fall at all during my match with Trela.

I never had fastfall problems with my old silver controller, but the reason I replaced it was because it was a thumb-slicer and had issues when I pressed up.

Man that sucked.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
omg I thought I was the only one who noticed this!

Well I use Jiggs and Wario so the main thing I noticed is that after a weekend of smash, my left thumb starts to KILL me because of all the aerial wiggling I've done... it really sucks and it's painful as hell :(

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
hmm
I always thought I just sucked at techskill or whatever... Are white ones really that bad?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Your mind makes the controller mess up. The human mind is more powerful than you think!

Labernash

Smash Lord
Well, I use ol' purple. It's lasted me a good while ever since I got my GC. The system came with a black one, but using that on Brawl, I've noticed that the C-Stick becomes unresponsive if I use it too much. But Purple Nurple handles my play style pretty well (fail.)

But, yes, I do agree with Mr. Pwn that it can be in your head. I've ayed CPU's before a local Tourney with a bunch of friends, and I'm fast falling like a fat chick. But, when I get into the finals against my Yoshi friend, I start getting pumped and make too strong of movements on my Control Stick. But, you pro's, I'd say it was the controller. Unless you got nervous without reason. You're a pro Wario. No johns. (Love you all.)

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
BluB is using his gcc for 7 years now and it still works very well. and he is a really technical player^^

my gcc is all 2 years ready for the garbagebucket

OverLade

Smash Hero
The quality of controllers decreasing happens all the time. Ask any Melee player or technical brawl player (M2K especially complains that his controllers dont last very long). If you don't play a fast wario than of course your controller wont take as much of a hit as players who weave a lot and play higher stakes styles. I dont see how you could possibly believe it's "all in my head" rofl.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Well it's all in their heads too xD

But in all seriousness, how do you manipulate the control stick? When I play my Wario, I wiggle the control stick very gently and precisely. Gone are the days of me mashing and smashing the control stick to move around. Maybe that has something to do with it? I mean I play Melee too, and still I've had the same controller for years with no problem. Random luck? I do have the luck of being lucky from time to time.

Top Bottom