• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

War: what is it good for?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I have a challenge. I would like someone to tell me something good that has come out of war that couldn't have been there anyway. I have been been thinking about this for a while and I can't think of any reason to believe in any kind of positive outcome, other than for weak minded people to latch onto something so that they won't feel like their life is out of control.

fluffy

Smash Champion
no war is only epic in video games where no one dies in real life
P.S. guns are awesome:laugh:
Not just videogames. Movies as well. Have you seen 300?

Plus, most games are violent. All thanks to war, and a lot of people like them.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
what is war good for? not too much.

what is the debate hall for? this type of topic. I don't think this would belong in this specific room, being that this seems more like a debate-topic than anything.

but while i'm here:

war isn't good for anything. it's essentially a bunch of mindless killing over a disagreement.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
The Debate Hall is not for topics like these.

Discuss.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Violence will get you nowhere. If our world leaders could sit down together, discussing their issues in a peaceful, appropriate, and non-violent matter could acomplish just as much, if not more, positive things for the world rather then all the negativity of wars for a few simple positive points :(

Although I suppose it does have a omnipresent cause in the end. Usually between right and wrong, but that view is blurred by who thinks what is right...

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
what is the debate hall for? this type of topic. I don't think this would belong in this specific room, being that this seems more like a debate-topic than anything.
I think you missed the point of this topic. Reread the title, then look at the threads in the Pool Room.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
War is good for the advancement of technologies dealing with weaponry, industrial production, technical knowledge and health care. In the short turn, it can boost a countries economy and change the momentum, attitude and perspective of a nation (Germany being a good example of all of these). When taken to its extreme it can lead to genocide. Therefore I believe that we should follow the Buddhist path of waging war in moderation (For the past two hundred years, sans the Iraq war, the United States is a good example of this).

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
This reminded me of Rush Hour. And then The Game.

I just lost The Game.

Discuss.
Dammit! I hope this thread dies soon or else I'm gonna lose the game every time I go into the Pool Room. Even if I don't go into this topic, I'll see the title of the thread and remind myself not to go in but then ask myself why. When I remember that it'll make me lose the game it will be too late because I've just thought about it I'll have lost anyway.

Zink

Smash Champion
heh. to quote Heinlein: "Violence, naked force, has settled more destinies than any other force in human history."
that wasn't actually that relevant but it's a cool quote :/
as for war itself... there is no way all disputes can be settled for diplomacy, and anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. Imagine one group, say, radical Communists, who advocate the overthrow of non-Communist governments. Now imagine they have a conference with any other nation. What could they possibly accomplish?

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
War is good for the advancement of technologies dealing with weaponry, industrial production, technical knowledge and health care. In the short turn, it can boost a countries economy and change the momentum, attitude and perspective of a nation (Germany being a good example of all of these). When taken to its extreme it can lead to genocide. Therefore I believe that we should follow the Buddhist path of waging war in moderation (For the past two hundred years, sans the Iraq war, the United States is a good example of this).
True, but the technology can also carry over into more... productive areas. Most of the technology used today was originally created for militaritic purposes. Case in point, computers and the internet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I still say all wars should be fought by the actual leaders. Get Leader of country A into a boxing ring with leader of country B, let them go at it, whoever wins, won the war.

As for actual wars, while most aren't the best, some are sadly needed.

WW2 anyone? The Nazi's needed to be stopped. :(

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well, I would have made a thought-out post about why war is needed but with all the idiocy in this thread, I'm not going to waste my energy typing it.

So instead, I give you guys a rubber ducky.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
*Hugs Uncle Kenny*

Anyway, the origin of war is really controversial.
I believe war starts when one group feels that there economy and goals are threatened from another group. This is mostly caused from the success, or even existence, of one group.

Group B has economic success in a land consisting of Group A and B. Group
A is in panic since finite resources are in the hands of Group B. Group A gives Group B a proposition that will somehow benefit Group A. Two things may happen at this point. Group B will not be harmed/benefit as well, therefore compromise wins out. If Group B feels they will be harmed, they will refuse. Frustrated, politicizations from Group A will debate with Group B politicizations. They both stay firm. Franticly, Group A politicizations will think of a way to make Group B agree( while still making a profit). As a last resort, Group A declares war if it is profitable in the long run.

A have a little proof too:(not really proof but an answer)
Overall, the World's Economy is being more stable over the last century. War is decreasing exponentially. Except during economic times and third world countries. Assuming economic stability continues, wars will decrease.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
War is something that I wish was avoidable. However, there are some people who just must fight. It is chaos. Certain nations, for example the Nazis, used their views as a "righteous" reason to murder and go to war. All other nations were simply defending themselves.

Geist

Smash Master
war sux pretty much, people die, fear is spread; not very good...

but.
World War II helped the US economy flourish out of the great depression, and helps keep our country free. We develop technological advancements and helps in relations to allied countries.

I only wish we could sit down and have a peaceful solution, but it isnt like that at the time... we have the reasoning to do that, but some countries out there are a little bit on the extreme side, and believe its the right thing to kill someone over beliefs.
too bad.=(

Maeotian

Smash Cadet
What is war good for?

Depends on who you are. If you're a wise ruler or a freedom fighter, its for peace or liberation. If you're a tyrant, its for conquest, domination, and exploitation. If you're George Bush, it's equally good for both.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Without war I wouldn't have a job in the future, so war is good.

And war backwards is raw, so ya..........bananas

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
So, some actually think war is necessary?
Well, if it were necessary, it would be natural, right?
Okay, I may not be a professor in biology or anything but besides human beings... Which other animals wage war upon each other? As in, hordes attacking and killing each other?

Yes, animals also fight over territory, mating partners, food and what not, indeed they do that. But on such a large scale as we do?... We're destroying our own planet in the process... We invent stuff to kill others faster including innocent people and their homes and families. Yeah sure, I probably sound like a greenie right now (which I'm not) but I could really care less.

I don't see why it would be "necessary."

It's not like we're doing it for the sake of survival.

War is only necessary when you have to defend yourself or when you NEED another home for the sake of survival. Other than that, it's pointless.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I have a challenge. I would like someone to tell me something good that has come out of war that couldn't have been there anyway. I have been been thinking about this for a while and I can't think of any reason to believe in any kind of positive outcome, other than for weak minded people to latch onto something so that they won't feel like their life is out of control.
More land and resources for our glorious country.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Dude, what the hell? That's exactly what I had for my religion topic but with "religion" replaced with "war." Not that I really care, but in the context you say it, it doesn't even really make sense.

Top Bottom