• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

War: what is it good for?

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
I guess you're also missing the point here.
What point? I'm not trying to add the discussion, just if you look at my Religion: what is it good for? thread, you will see he copy/pasted my original post and replaced the word Religion with war. I'm not really mad, I just wanted to get a response out of him.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
What point? I'm not trying to add the discussion, just if you look at my Religion: what is it good for? thread, you will see he copy/pasted my original post and replaced the word Religion with war. I'm not really mad, I just wanted to get a response out of him.
off topic

your sig made me laugh...alot....

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
So, some actually think war is necessary?
Well, if it were necessary, it would be natural, right?
Okay, I may not be a professor in biology or anything but besides human beings... Which other animals wage war upon each other? As in, hordes attacking and killing each other?

Yes, animals also fight over territory, mating partners, food and what not, indeed they do that. But on such a large scale as we do?... We're destroying our own planet in the process... We invent stuff to kill others faster including innocent people and their homes and families. Yeah sure, I probably sound like a greenie right now (which I'm not) but I could really care less.

I don't see why it would be "necessary."

It's not like we're doing it for the sake of survival.

War is only necessary when you have to defend yourself or when you NEED another home for the sake of survival. Other than that, it's pointless.
How many animals do you know of that possess the intillectual capacity to organize troops on a mass scale? We have the benefit of mass communication. Lions can't call their buddies and organize a unified front against the hyenas, but I'm pretty sure they would if they could.

Also, you highlight how animals fight over territory, mating partners, and resources (food and whatnot were your words). I would argue that most wars are fought over two of those things.

You're right that many wars aren't fought for the sake of survival. But what about the ones that are? Are they not justifiable? (EDIT: I guess you already answered that one :p) What about the ones fought over freedom? Are they not justifiable? So in that case, is it the concept of war itself which is flawed, or merely our poor application of it?

I agree to the point that war is often over glamorized, but unfortunately it is a necessary evil.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
:):laugh::):laugh: I guess you still don't get it.

Listen to "War" by Edwin Starr. Or just watch Rush Hour.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Didn't we get the Internet from some war technology?
It started with the ARPANET, which was in turn used as a, "national public utility to transport computer data, much in the way the telephone system transports voice data". After its success, one thing led to another, and voila(though that is a very vague summary, read more at http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/ch106.x08
)

Dude, what the hell? That's exactly what I had for my religion topic but with "religion" replaced with "war." Not that I really care, but in the context you say it, it doesn't even really make sense.
and on and on and on...

Top Bottom