• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want to get your girl into gaming?

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there are people here that have non-gamer girlfriends. My girlfriend started out as one. I think her only previous gaming experience was occasionally playing an arcade game at the movie theatre or places like that. Note, I am not saying that all girls are bad at gaming. This is just a suggestion to help guys get their non-gamer girlfriends into games.

I've got a few suggestions for games that might interest your girlfriend.

I'll start off with the PC. My first suggestion is rather easy to guess.

World of Warcraft! I know that some of you might cringe at the thought of playing WoW again, but my girlfriend is absolutely insane over WoW. She isn't a hardcore power-leveler, she doesn't get mad when she gets ganked.. She loves playing in a persistent explorable world. She loves going to Darnassus even when nobody else goes there.

I bet your girlfriend will like it too. I would suggest taking an hour to just show her the ropes and help her get the basic game mechanics down. That way she can just explore and figure things out to her heart's content.

My other suggestion for PC is Portal. For some reason my girlfriend just fell in love with Portal. This is a game that lets you simply use your creativity to get through the level and advance the humorous plot line. Also, bad guys aren't rushing forward all the time trying to kill you. This is a big plus for some novice gamers.

For the 360-

Geometry Wars (Its on the Wii and DS as well) - Seriously, this game doesn't need an explanation. Its beautiful and simplistic. It combines the best of the new generation of games with the nostalgia of older games.

Halo 3- I know I'll catch some flack for this, but this is a good game to start a girl off with an FPS. It is almost impossible to die in Easy mode, and she'll be a lot more willing to go out of cover and try some heroic moves and learn the game if she isn't scared of getting popped by that pesky Jackal sniper.

Guitar Hero (Also for the Wii) - You guys know what Guitar Hero is. My girlfriend is actually better at it than I am. Her fingers are far more nimble so she has a far easier time hitting that stupid orange key than me.

For the Wii-

Super Mario Galaxy - This is probably my favorite game on the Wii right now. It is simple enough that novice players can catch on, and the difficulty ramps up just enough to let them get the star after a few tries. Beautiful level design and colorful graphics.

Smash Brothers Brawl - This really needs no explanation

Wii Sports- First of all, all the girls I know love customing their Mii. Aside from that this lets them get the basic ideas of the Wiimote down and have some fun bowling and boxing!

Warioware (Also for the DS) - This is a collection of hysterical minigames that are not confusing at all. Usually the premise of the minigame is given in one word, and you have a few seconds to complete a little microgame.

Virtual Console Classics - You know which games are classics. This is a big suggestion of mine. These games are still very challenging, but the controls are not as complicated as a newer 3-D game.

DS

Brain Age - This is a DS game that allows people to really stretch parts of the brain that they may not be used to. You'll be surprised that you actually do get better at a lot of games, and I know that it made me feel more focused when I played the game regularly.

Electroplankton - This is a great game for your girlfriend. There is no game over or bad guys. This is a musical game that is based off or your interactions with the various electroplankton.

PS3 - Warhawk - I don't really know much about Warhawk as I do not own a PS3. Crimson suggested it. If I remember correctly its a multiplayer only FPS game that heavily focuses on vehicular gameplay.

Well, these are my suggestions. If you have any other ideas, post them in the thread. If you want me to revise a game I've suggestion, just post in here. I hope this helps at least one person!

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Two words:
Guitar
Hero

Sure to convert any girl to the gaming ways.
Wii Sports works too, and Brain Age and WarioWare have done it for me as well.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Wow, how could I forget Guitar Hero and Brain Age? Those two games got my gal into games pretty hardcore. Brain Age was one of the first games my girlfriend played and she got addicted.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Try Warhawk. My girlfriend never played an action game before, then I made her play while I did homework and showed her how to fire a missile launcher. I had to buy the expansion without question, and she is now into Gametap and we just bought a Wii.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Wii is probably the best bet for a lot of people to get into gaming. I don't really mind paying money for PC/360 stuff, but it is really a much larger investment. People who aren't already gamers are turned off by that, so I've got to say that the Wii is a great investment.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Yeah my ex **HATED!!** playing video games...I'm amazed that we lasted over a year actually.

I am basically going to remain single now until I can find a girlfriend who enjoys gaming...good luck to me right?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Wii is probably the best bet for a lot of people to get into gaming. I don't really mind paying money for PC/360 stuff, but it is really a much larger investment. People who aren't already gamers are turned off by that, so I've got to say that the Wii is a great investment.
Consoles aren't a good investment. I said this in the Wii topic. Good investments make you money; they don't cost you money. But oddly, we worked in reverse. She had ZERO interest in Wii, but then I found this website to win won, and we've been doing that together, then we decided, Screw it let's buy one. PS3 was her first true gaming experience, so that worked well.

Yeah my ex **HATED!!** playing video games...I'm amazed that we lasted over a year actually.

I am basically going to remain single now until I can find a girlfriend who enjoys gaming...good luck to me right?
Uh... priorities? Relationships > Games.

unzero

Smash Rookie

You chose games... over your girl... =O

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Consoles aren't a good investment. I said this in the Wii topic. Good investments make you money; they don't cost you money. But oddly, we worked in reverse. She had ZERO interest in Wii, but then I found this website to win won, and we've been doing that together, then we decided, Screw it let's buy one. PS3 was her first true gaming experience, so that worked well.
Well, when I said investment, I didn't mean a monetary investment. I meant it more as an investment of time. My girlfriend and I have put quite a lot of time into our Nintendo Wii's, and it has really gave us more to talk about. Also now that she loves games I always know what to buy her as a present. Just pick up an extra copy of whatever game I like. Win win!

Kruton

Smash Ace
You chose games... over your girl... =O
No...I chose my current life of friendships and, yes, gaming, over a woman who was restless seeing me EVERY DAY of the week. She would also give me **** if I had to leave her presence for other things, such as homework. Not to mention her mom is so psychotic that, although I haven't seen my ex since we've split, I still see her mom at least 5 times a week, because she pretty much goes out of her way to see me. She dropped off an apple for me at work a week ago...oh and she drove by my workplace yesterday to say happy Valentine's Day O_O

I know it's a ****ty thing to say, but her mom is what ruined the flame I had for her.

And [to CrimsonKing] don't say I don't have priorities. I would just like to appreciate a girl who at least had the same admiration I do for my favorite passtime. I am a person willing to wait for that kind of girl, and if she never comes along, the fine, there's a lot of cool girls out there.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
And [to CrimsonKing] don't say I don't have priorities. I would just like to appreciate a girl who at least had the same admiration I do for my favorite passtime. I am a person willing to wait for that kind of girl, and if she never comes along, the fine, there's a lot of cool girls out there.
Have fun being alone, Joshcube. Seriously, you want someone to enjoy the things you do, but have you thought about enjoying things they do as well?

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Kruton, if I had some advice, I'd just try to find a regular down to earth girl. This is what I did. You know, I'd go so far as to suggest not actively looking for a girl that is a gamer. Then spend some time getting to know her, take her places, and do things that SHE enjoys. After she figures out that you care about the things she cares about, she'll be open to your things. Buy her a DS and some fun games. I'd suggest buying her Tetris/Meteos, Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS (My gal loves this), and New Super Mario Bros. If she has a decent enough computer to run WoW, teacher her that.

It isn't about finding a girl that already loves games in my eyes. Thats just a bonus. By the way, I think your girlfriend will appreciate you more if you turn her on to gaming rather than finding one that is already a gamer.

I'd like to make one last point here Kruton. Be careful not to misunderstand me here. I'm not calling you shallow, so please don't think that. I would be careful though, because if you pass over girls because they are missing just one trait, and you pick a girl because they have that trait you'll have a shallow relationship. When things get hard, it probably will not last. Its ESSENTIALLY the same thing as picking a girl because she is "hot". My brother picked a girlfriend based on this. They've been going out a month and they've broken up twice, she punched my brother in the face, and they've cussed each other out. They're back together. This is usually what choosing a girl over one trait will get you.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
I don't really find it appealing to have a girlfriend that enjoys games close to, or as much as I do. Just the thought of playing games like I do with my friends with a girlfriend seems weird. The most I play with any girls I date are SNES games. Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Tetris Attack represent :snes:

I tried to play smash with a girl I was dating two years ago. Didn't really turn out good, and I'll never try it again with another girl.

S2

Smash Lord
Well, that's your personal opinion. I'm just stating the well known fact that there is no such thing as a "girl gamer".
There are plenty of girl gamers. I've met plenty. Many just don't geek out about them publically very much.

Anyways, I wouldn't go looking for relationships based on finding a girl who likes to game all the time. That really shouldn't be your first priority anyways. Yes, sharing hobbies is usually a good thing, but couples don't have to share every hobby.

If your going out with someone who doesn't mind you gaming, isn't that enough? She may or may not want to play games, but that should never be a relationship focal point.

As for the TC, try puzzle games. A lot of girls I know like things like Bejeweled (don't we all) because its easily accessible.

You really can't pinpoint what games appeal to girls. I've met ladies who like the strangest choices in games (shooters, horror games, etc) - things you would never expect.

Its the same way with guys. Everyone has different opinions on different types of games. There aren't any designated games that all girls like.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
There are plenty of girl gamers. I've met plenty. Many just don't geek out about them publically very much.
Those so called "girl gamers" you "met" were most likely men dressed with as "girl gamers" in order to keep the myth alive.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alright, stop posting off topic. You are killing what was otherwise a worthwhile post.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
my lady friends like mario party 8 and wii sports...also guitar hero 3 is popular, but mario party 8 takes the cake

CornbreadNinja

Smash Rookie
You forgot to mention about the magic that is being the star buddy in Mario Galaxy. It's a blast.

Okami - It's pretty and not terribly difficult. It's on the PS2, and apparently it's coming out for the Wii in March.

Twilight Princess - It's just a good game that's not too difficult. My fiancee actually beat it before me (I'm terribad at finishing games)

Final Fantasy games are also pretty good choices. My fiance has been playing through some of the old ones (on the DS/PSP) after playing XII.

Sir James

The Doctor
I consider myself an extremely lucky guy. My girlfriend loves video games and is a huge smash brothers fan :)

But for the guys that aren't as lucky, try following the advice on this thread. My best friend was able to get his girlfriend into liking video games. Sure, she isn't a hardcore gamer or anything, but at least she now enjoys playing them. He got her into them by getting her a DS and buying her some puzzle games. Eventually she started playing games such as Animal Crossing and Phoenix Wright. I think she even played Halo 3 with him recently.

Edit: Don't play WoW. It ruins lives. It steals souls.

Sariku

Smash Master
Try Nintendogs or Pokemon.

Actually I got the best story of my old girlfriend. She was a Pokemon nerd, so she insisted that on our first date we watch the Lucario movie in theaters. Yes, it was in theaters down here. I feel embarrassed to tell that story but no one will believe me... http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/Yar121212/l_6bb41efe1612d3c0098f9792b83217ed.jpg That was my Ex Girlfriend.

Exact opposite of a Pokemon Nerd if you ask me -shrug-

Top Bottom