• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I offer no condolences.

Another character that had no shot officially out.
Say that again.

I'll wreck you in Mario Tennis Open with WALUIGI.

Or Mario Kart Wii with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Kart DS with WALUIGI
Or Mario Sports Mix with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Kart 8 with WALUIGI (when it comes out).
Or Mario Kart Arcade GP DX with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Golf: World Tour with WALUIGI (when it comes out).

I could go on but you should understand where I would be going with that.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
This is the meanest picture of the day I have ever seen. Inb4 I'm in the Waluigi Cry picture

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Don't be a jerk.
I'm ****ing around man.

Enjoy your infraction dude. You deserve it for being rude. May I hope your favorite character get deconfirmed and someone attack their thread.

He's not among my favorite Mario characters, but I had no idea how much I supported his inclusion until tonight. He's a very funny character with a great idea behind him. It's just a shame that the spin-off portion of Mario gets no love.

Maybe we'll get him next game. Or better yet we'll get a Waluigi spin-off and we'll suddenly have a reason for him to get into rep the Mario spin-offs like he rightfully deserves too.
What infraction?

He was made to fill a spot in Mario Tennis on N64. His chances were slim to none. Get over it.
Say that again.

I'll wreck you in Mario Tennis Open with WALUIGI.

Or Mario Kart Wii with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Kart DS with WALUIGI
Or Mario Sports Mix with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Kart 8 with WALUIGI (when it comes out).
Or Mario Kart Arcade GP DX with WALUIGI.
Or Mario Golf: World Tour with WALUIGI (when it comes out).

I could go on but you should understand where I would be going with that.
Waluigi was in a lot of games where he did basically the exact same thing as literally any other character? Not even Mario characters, they could put almost any character in those games. SEGA does the same thing, any character could be in those games to drive a car or play tennis. That's what makes him so unremarkable, that's all he does: things every other character can do too.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Waluigi was in a lot of games where he did basically the exact same thing as literally any other character? Not even Mario characters, they could put almost any character in those games. SEGA does the same thing, any character could be in those games to drive a car or play tennis. That's what makes him so unremarkable, that's all he does: things every other character can do too.
Not everyone can SWIM IN THE AIR SON
or even CREATE A WALL OF VINES TO MAKE A PUN OF HIS NAME
the dude also has CRAZY DANCE SKILLS

Besides nobody screams
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH like Waluigi.

The dude's got personality, which is why people love him so much. I don't want him for his actions, I want him for who he is.

andimidna

Smash Master
Like many others, I offer my condolences.

I think he has a real shot in the future if he can become an established Wario character. There will always be competition when it comes to Mario, and I think it'd be weird to have Wario and Waluigi representing different franchises.

I'll add on to the hope that he's added as a Wario character in SSB5

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Wow, even if I absolutely hate the guy, that was the rudest comment ever, good job Sakurai, the Waluigi fanbase is going to see that picture a lot for smash 5 (6 ?) =/

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just because someone was made to fill a spot doesn't negate what they can bring. Lots of popular characters have started out as a one note one appearance type deal and since become popular and the best face to represent something.

Waluigi is pretty much the face of Mario sports spin-offs. He's asides from Mario Kart 7 a guarantee. He's the best face to represent those in Smash Brothers. It's why his assist trophy is focused around them.

Sure you could put Toadette or any other sports title only character in that spot and achieve the same, the only thing is of those characters created specifically for sports spin-offs?

Waluigi is the only one with a vivid personality. Something that the others don't offer.

No character gets popular for no reason and that's why Waluigi has risen above them despite his status as a sports spin-off only character.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
No support base should feel that Sakurai is making a personal attack on them when he doesn't include their character. Obviously not every character under the sun is gonna make it in - it doesn't mean he's trying to be deliberately nasty to you.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi needs a role in a real Mario or Wario series game before he can be playable in SSB. A role for him outside Mario spin-offs is long overdue, he could easily be a playable character in a New Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario 3D game, or a villain in a Luigi's Mansion game, or a partner in crime in a Wario game etc. Even a minor role in an RPG or other main series game would be fantastic. Waluigi is a character with a lot of untapped potential, he's one of the most unique characters in the series and absolutely oozes personality. Why Nintendo have shackled him to the spin-offs all these years, refusing to let him anywhere near anything else is pretty bizarre in my opinion, even Toadette, an extremely generic character (just a female Toad) who was only made for the sake of Toad having a partner in Double Dash (yes I know the reasons for Waluigi's creation were similar) got a role in an RPG game and a cameo in Galaxy. C'mon, do something with Waluigi, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that's it. I wonder what'll happen to Bower Jr. Will he join Rosalina or Waluigi?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Ouch.
I knew he wouldn't be our newcomer anyway since it was Rosalina, his deconfirmation isn't what bugs me, I saw it coming.

But wow, that comment, I hope it refers to Waluigi always cheating and therefore trying hard.
If that's what he was aiming for, that is a HORRIBLE way of phrasing that.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Phew, Glad he's out of the way.

I mean uh.... Sakurai didn't choose to not make Waluigi playable, Waluigi decided to be an Assist Trophy to give everyone a fighting chance?

Groose

Smash Champion
Ouch.
I knew he wouldn't be our newcomer anyway since it was Rosalina, his deconfirmation isn't what bugs me, I saw it coming.

But wow, that comment, I hope it refers to Waluigi always cheating and therefore trying hard.
If that's what he was aiming for, that is a HORRIBLE way of phrasing that.
"Pic of the Day. Waluigi is returning as an Assist Trophy, which means he's not playable. He tried to cheat his way into becoming a playable character, but it didn't work."
Something more like that?

Personally, I think the caption should have been this:
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... WALUIGI TIME! WA WA WA!"

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Damn.

In case anyone is still wondering about "try hard" comment, I'm pretty sure it's referring to how Waluigi is described as hardworking in some games (including Melee and Brawl). The trophies say he spent a lot of time training so that he could compete with the Mario Bros.

Smady

Smash Master
Aw, what a shame. Lets hope he has better luck next time, guys.

Waluigi was a long shot after Rosalina, but I thought he may be able to sneak in for a Mario [insert sport or activity here] rep. However, Sakurai doesn't just invent reps in that way, so I was mostly just hoping Waluigi would pull through on his popularity and notoriety alone. It's true that Waluigi has never been acknowledged in a mainline Mario game or given much attention at all. It's sad that it will remain this way for the foreseeable future, but hey, at least he returns as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow! Sakurai sounded pretty snarky about Waluigi... "just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" ...I wonder if this was referring to 4chan trolls who voted for Waluigi in those polls?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Wow! Sakurai sounded pretty snarky about Waluigi... "just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" ...I wonder if this was referring to 4chan trolls who voted for Waluigi in those polls?
In case anyone is still wondering about "try hard" comment, I'm pretty sure it's referring to how Waluigi is described as hardworking in some games (including Melee and Brawl). The trophies say he spent a lot of time training so that he could compete with the Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I don't think Sakurai would mention '4chan trolls' or bring up that kind of thing. It's an unfortunate translation misnomer, I'm sure he meant no offence to Waluigi fans, if anything he gives a nod to the fact he considered Waluigi to be a playable character. Waluigi does have fans you know, people like me who always picked him in Mario Party or Mario Kart. He was a very unique personality. I always felt like the strange resentment for the character stemmed from the fact he's so under-utilized by Nintendo. Lots of comments on Miiverse saying he isn't deserving because he wasn't in any big games... well yeah, but that's not because he's a bad character. But oh well, I'd say he has a decent chance for the next game.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the support thread, by the way, I had a tonne of fun organizing this. Waaa shall live on forever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't expect Waluigi to be playable, but I understand that a lot of people do.
I'm sorry that he is an Assist Trophy again. My condolences go out to you guys.

While I didn't really want him, I am slightly disappointed… mostly because I am a fan of The Runaway Guys.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Lol. Ouch, Sakurai's words are painful.

But I'm sorry, Assist Trophy status does really fit best for Waluigi. He's not a canon character in the Mario series, he's a spin-off character. So, somehow, this place seems better for him.

And hey, guess what Waluigi fans? He has better status here than he did in Mario Kart 7. (which even I got mad at)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm not as disappointed at Waluigi's disconfirmation, it's more the amount of trolls making fun of us. Waluigi had the potential to be a unique character.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm actually not surprised. As much as I would like it if Waluigi was playable, he has never made any canon appearances. At least we can still hope for the alternate skin for Luigi.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
No, seriously... there are people that like Waluigi? Are they the same people that thought Ashley should be playable?

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
No, seriously... there are people that like Waluigi? Are they the same people that thought Ashley should be playable?
Yeah. There's a problem with that?

And I personally didn't want Ashley, so don't continue bothering us. It's over.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Waluigi needs a role in a real Mario or Wario series game before he can be playable in SSB. A role for him outside Mario spin-offs is long overdue, he could easily be a playable character in a New Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario 3D game, or a villain in a Luigi's Mansion game, or a partner in crime in a Wario game etc. Even a minor role in an RPG or other main series game would be fantastic. Waluigi is a character with a lot of untapped potential, he's one of the most unique characters in the series and absolutely oozes personality. Why Nintendo have shackled him to the spin-offs all these years, refusing to let him anywhere near anything else is pretty bizarre in my opinion, even Toadette, an extremely generic character (just a female Toad) who was only made for the sake of Toad having a partner in Double Dash (yes I know the reasons for Waluigi's creation were similar) got a role in an RPG game and a cameo in Galaxy. C'mon, do something with Waluigi, Nintendo.
I 100% agree with the fact that Waluigi needs to be recognized in the main series games (whether it's the Mario series (they have too many reps as it is now that Rosalina's in), or the Wario series (this should be the series he reps, since he would make a perfect 2nd rep to Wario, and he would fit in there perfectly enough, and could possibly give the Wario series a chance of becoming a big franchise for Nintendo).

Also I'm a huge Waluigi fan and I knew seeing him back as an assist trophy was bound to happen.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My condolences, if only he had more unique abilities. :(
What has that got to do with anything?

There are people that like Bowser Jr? What does it matter to you if people like Waluigi? What exactly so "un"likable about him in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom