• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
I don't know what you expect. Should Sakurai come out onto a stage covered in flower petals, with a monochrome picture of Waluigi overhead to announce, with great sadness, the loss of Waluigi's newcomer bid? Do we shed a tear for a collection of polygons not being directly playable in the latest video game for a console called the Wii U? Do we all salute this lanky, purple-dungaree wearing plumber with a comically huge nose and moustache to an a Capella rendition of the United States National Anthem, all in Waas? He frankly paid the greatest measure of respect, in his own way, by giving Waluigi a mildly snark-filled send off.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't know what you expect. Should Sakurai come out onto a stage covered in flower petals, with a monochrome picture of Waluigi overhead to announce, with great sadness, the loss of Waluigi's newcomer bid? Do we shed a tear for a collection of polygons not being directly playable in the latest video game for a console called the Wii U? Do we all salute this lanky, purple-dungaree wearing plumber with a comically huge nose and moustache to an a Capella rendition of the United States National Anthem, all in Waas? He frankly paid the greatest measure of respect, in his own way, by giving Waluigi a mildly snark-filled send off.
it still sounds mean the way he said it.

SleepyTRex

Smash Cadet
Wow this is a bunch a bologna I cant believe sakuri would do this to us I cant believe my eyes my ears my nostrils wow wowwy wow wow this is so bad so so bad waluigi was the reason I breathe my reason for extinctions and now THIS? I am let down. Worst day of my life this week

Last edited:

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
"Ridley attacks pyrosphere as a stage hazard!!...Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't you'll make it into the battle."
"FYI: I found him to large to make him work as playable, please understand."

:troll:

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it helps in some way that I've never met many Waluigi fans assuming that Waluigi was any sort of guarantee. Usually that kind of balanced understanding kind of keeps it from devastating when it doesn't go the way one wants it. Though there are few out there that will get heavily upset by it, but that's just the way things are.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Another poor, unfortunate soul doomed to a miserable role as an Assist Trophy. Gone the way of Skull Kid, Starfy, and Ashley. Little Mac broke the mold, but that may have been an outstanding case.
I suppose there's still hope for DLC.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Another poor, unfortunate soul doomed to a miserable role as an Assist Trophy. Gone the way of Skull Kid, Starfy, and Ashley. Little Mac broke the mold, but that may have been an outstanding case.
I suppose there's still hope for DLC.
I doubt any AT would be promoted to a playable role by DLC, as that would necessitate the removal of the AT. Probably best to accept the unfortunate reality.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Came here to pay my respects...

I played as Waluigi quite alot in Mario Party 3 and Tennis on the N64 Although i didnt support him for Sm4sh i have nothing against him or his fans he is a hilarious char its a shame ninty dont bother fleshing him out even more he could make great appearences and roles i imagine in games like paper mario and thr wario games.

Sorry guys...

- RealTalk -

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Rosalina was chosen entirely for her moveset, when Waluigi would've been the best choice from the real candidates by a mile (Him, Jr, Toad, Paper Mario) for moveset. I thought Waluigi would be a nice compromise instead of choosing such an out of left field trivial character like Rosalina. Really, if you're going to choose her, why not pick somebody that's an actual somewhat important and good Mario character like Kamek, King Boo, or Fawful?

For those doubting Rosalina's unimportance, Lubba directly replaced her in SMG2. If Lubba and Rosalina swapped roles in Mario, Lubba wouldn't have got in, because he's not sexy enough.

RIP Waluigi, you truly are the ultimate underdog. Maybe you should go drinking with K. Rool some time.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sorry for your loss, guys. While GameFAQs partially ruined the character for me by turning him into a vehicle for stupid trolls' personas, I would not have minded seeing him. He'd be better as a sports equipment user than the goddamn Mii, at any rate.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I guess one of the main saving graces about Mario characters not making the cut is that they'll at least be playable in another game within the next year and a half at most. It's way too early since the next SSB won't come around until the next decade but, food for thought, Charizard was a pokeball Pokemon twice before he became playable so it's not entirely a lost cause for the next game (just don't make a support thread until at least 2017 for my sake, okay?).

Also, when my schedule slows down, I'll go back to making Waluigi Miiverse comics despite him not being playable.

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
you know why waluigi is an assist trophy again?

so he can beat the living **** out of all the others without being defeated

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Let's all be honest here, having Waluigi be playable wouldn't really be fair to the rest of the roster. Any time Waluigi is involved, everyone loses.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Let's all be honest here, having Waluigi be playable wouldn't really be fair to the rest of the roster. Any time Waluigi is involved, everyone loses.
Cause nobody cheats better than Waluigi, apparently Sakurai found a way to "cheat" Waluigi out of a newcomer spot: return as an assist trophy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
RIP Waluigi.

He's the first REALLY popular character to be confirmed not playable. Crazy

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
RIP Waluigi.

He's the first REALLY popular character to be confirmed not playable. Crazy
I don't know, Ashley and even Skull Kid seemed pretty popular as well. There's been a fair share of broken hearts over the course of Smash reveals.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't know, Ashley and even Skull Kid seemed pretty popular as well. There's been a fair share of broken hearts over the course of Smash reveals.
They are, but I don't know, Waluigi is just another level. 4chan's /ssbg/ luhed those two though.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Maybe if Waluigi appears in a Wario game between now and then next game he might actually stand a chance
Why HASN'T Waluigi appeared n a Wario game....

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Rosalina was chosen entirely for her moveset, when Waluigi would've been the best choice from the real candidates by a mile (Him, Jr, Toad, Paper Mario) for moveset. I thought Waluigi would be a nice compromise instead of choosing such an out of left field trivial character like Rosalina. Really, if you're going to choose her, why not pick somebody that's an actual somewhat important and good Mario character like Kamek, King Boo, or Fawful?

For those doubting Rosalina's unimportance, Lubba directly replaced her in SMG2. If Lubba and Rosalina swapped roles in Mario, Lubba wouldn't have got in, because he's not sexy enough.

RIP Waluigi, you truly are the ultimate underdog. Maybe you should go drinking with K. Rool some time.
Are you arguing against Rosalina even though she's already been confirmed? Get over it lol, Nintendo is obviously pushing her pretty hard and she's already in. Argue her "unimportance" all you want but it doesn't really matter.

As for Waluigi, he's one of my favorite Mario characters because I find him hilarious but I wasn't really wanting or expecting him. The fact that he's really only appeared in spin-off sports and party games is really what is holding him back I think. Were he to be playable in a Mario game or share the spotlight with Wario in a game his chances would be much better. Maybe by next smash he will have gotten some more exposure and will make it.

Maybe if Waluigi appears in a Wario game between now and then next game he might actually stand a chance
Better question: Why isn't there a game that just stars Mario, Wario, Luigi and Waluigi yet?

Last edited:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Because he's the butt of Nintendo's jokes. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just some sort of running gag to give him the worst possible treatment while still keeping him relevant. It's pretty funny, I will admit, but come on... guy's got a lot of potential and would easily make games like Wario Land much more enjoyable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry to all the Waluigi supporters out there. I personally didn't think he was too likely, but I'd have been fine with him playable. I never understood the vendetta some had against him. Waa...

D

Deleted member

Because he's the butt of Nintendo's jokes. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just some sort of running gag to give him the worst possible treatment while still keeping him relevant. It's pretty funny, I will admit, but come on... guy's got a lot of potential and would easily make games like Wario Land much more enjoyable.
Waluigi should become the Waspinator of the Mario Universe: the idiotic, bumbling ineffectual villain that always gets fried in the end, but who people somehow root for, and who gets his reward in the end.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
"Ridley attacks pyrosphere as a stage hazard!!...Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't you'll make it into the battle."
"FYI: I found him to large to make him work as playable, please understand."

:troll:
"Toad defends the princess as a living meat shield!!...Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't you'll make it into the battle."

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Aw, sorry Waluigi supporters. This is definitely one of the bigger disconfirmations, and it's unfortunate it was him. I never really supported him, but I wouldn't have minded seeing him after seeing all the different movesets people made for him.

Maybe next time....

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK

I go on a vacation trip for a week, and this happens.

I can´t say i didn´t expect it, cause i did. I´m a HUGE supporter of Waluigi, and i had some hopes that he would be playable, even after all the things ( Rosalina, split fanbase, lack of importance ) that pointed otherwise. While i´m happy that he is in the game, and i will still see him, i can say that 60% of my excitement for the new Smash Bros game was destroyed. But i guess that´s part of Waluigi´s charm. He´s an anti-role model. A despicable asshole with the life´s purpose of destroying the Mario Bros. And yet, we still root for him. We still want to see Waluigi succeed, even though he will never do. He´s a character who we can relate to because of his failures and unpopularity, especially because of his real life reception being so negative. He makes us see that you can´t judge a book by it´s cover.

I have seen no greater example of that happening than in this thread . Waluigi fans and haters alike have gathered here and shown their support for this weird and charismatic character who most people disliked. While there were trolls who gathered here to simply bash a character in his support thread, most people here were rather supportive of the character, even if they didn´t like him that much. What happened here wasn´t just a massive display of support for a character with a shaky popularity. What happened here was a great example of how people can be rational and support themselves in grim times. I may be a bit overemotional, but that´s just how i see it.

That´s the power of the
WAA. And that´s one of the reasons why Waluigi is such a great character. He represents us, moreso than any other Mario character. We hate him. We want to see him gone. And, at the same time, we want him to stay and succeed, even after the bad things that happen to him. Congratulations to all of you ( except the asshole trolls )who made me regain my faith in humanity and Nintendo fans.

At least we can still enjoy his PSA

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I've never really seen him as an exciting choice. I don't mind the character, but just couldn't get excited about the idea of him being playable. Plus I think I'd rather just have more sports related items (soccer ball, homerun bat ect), than a sports dedicated character.

So this was the least saddening assist trophy for me so far.

Hopefully he'll make a debut outside of the spinoffs and sports games, that I never play soon. Then he'd probably have a decent shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom