• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fill

20EggsEggs
No, seriously... there are people that like Waluigi? Are they the same people that thought Ashley should be playable?
im one, have you seen the video of the guy who makes the waluigi for brawl? and i thought ashley would have been a great addition, especially if she used red in her moveset

Smady

Smash Master
Waluigi actually did plenty well in a bunch of polls in Japan. He's a very unique personality, if nothing else. That alone gets him fans.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Waluigi actually did plenty well in a bunch of polls in Japan. He's a very unique personality, if nothing else. That alone gets him fans.
Just because you get enough votes in a poll doesn't mean you will get in Smash. :troll:

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
Honestly, at this point, i feel like trying to predict the next character choices for Smash is a complete waste of time. Because it seems like the dev team picks on the character that sells more. We expect characters like:Zoroark, Mach Rider and Waluigi ( yeah, there were plenty of votes for him if you research it ). We get: Wii Fit Trainer

Another example: Rosalina and Waluigi. Before Rosalina´s confirmation, pretty much all of the rosters i say had placed her as an assist trophy (if she was in the roster at all ). There were innumerable factors that placed Waluigi in a higher consideration that Rosalina. Who got into the game: Rosalina. Why ? Because she sells, that´s why.

A lesson to all those who´ve had their wishes for Smash Bros characters unfulfilled: It´s a commercial game. It´s made with profits in mind. Therefore, they will pick the character who seems to be the most popular at the time or a random add-in. Rosalina was being shoehorned everywhere recently, and people, apparently, never get enough of the character. Meanwhile, Waluigi has been ignored recently more than usual. He isn´t having many roles where he actually does something. It´s almost as if Nintendo´s line of thought for these two was: "Rosie sells. Wally smells"

On a side-note, i loved the thread´s new name.

Smady

Smash Master
Don't lose heart that it's all based on profit. I imagine it's all to do with Sakurai's view on the reps. Waluigi I'm sure was considered but quickly discarded for a number of reasons, but he was given a (relatively) respectful role as an assist trophy. Whenever Sakurai goes out out of his way to say an assist trophy is not playable, I get the sense he knows the character has fans or that he himself is a fan. If he wanted to make the profitable choice, he would've put in every character who topped the polls, simple as.

Sakurai puts a value on surprise and the intrigue that creates. That's what the speculative community thrives upon. Waluigi was a known factor, much like Little Mac or MegaMan. I feel like, sadly, Waluigi wouldn't have surprised anyone, before Rosalina anyway, and actually divided some fans because his moveset can't be that astonishing. The other factor is uniqueness. Rosalina is almost an original character with how she uses her Luma, and this was effective in winning over fans who wanted Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr. and so on. These are only two factors of what must've been a hard decision for Sakurai. I can respect his choice when I step back and see that Waluigi is a fantastic character, but in terms of moveset potential he isn't as interesting as the Luma turned out to be, so Sakurai may have made the right choice for the sake of the game.

It still will bring a smile to my face whenever I see that assist trophy. It encapsulates what is Waluigi very well because of how it is short-lived and frantic. It gives a good idea of his personality and what his moveset would constitute. So I wouldn't lose faith in Sakurai, his reasons were valid, and there's always the next game when the competition is more slim.

I'd also like to thank you personally WAA for what you added to the thread, even just your post style was awesome. I hope that whoever makes the next Waluigi support thread gets someone as fun as you to brighten up the discussion.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Don't lose heart that it's all based on profit. I imagine it's all to do with Sakurai's view on the reps. Waluigi I'm sure was considered but quickly discarded for a number of reasons, but he was given a (relatively) respectful role as an assist trophy. Whenever Sakurai goes out out of his way to say an assist trophy is not playable, I get the sense he knows the character has fans or that he himself is a fan. If he wanted to make the profitable choice, he would've put in every character who topped the polls, simple as.

Sakurai puts a value on surprise and the intrigue that creates. That's what the speculative community thrives upon. Waluigi was a known factor, much like Little Mac or MegaMan. I feel like, sadly, Waluigi wouldn't have surprised anyone, before Rosalina anyway, and actually divided some fans because his moveset can't be that astonishing. The other factor is uniqueness. Rosalina is almost an original character with how she uses her Luma, and this was effective in winning over fans who wanted Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr. and so on. These are only two factors of what must've been a hard decision for Sakurai. I can respect his choice when I step back and see that Waluigi is a fantastic character, but in terms of moveset potential he isn't as interesting as the Luma turned out to be, so Sakurai may have made the right choice for the sake of the game.

It still will bring a smile to my face whenever I see that assist trophy. It encapsulates what is Waluigi very well because of how it is short-lived and frantic. It gives a good idea of his personality and what his moveset would constitute. So I wouldn't lose faith in Sakurai, his reasons were valid, and there's always the next game when the competition is more slim.

I'd also like to thank you personally WAA for what you added to the thread, even just your post style was awesome. I hope that whoever makes the next Waluigi support thread gets someone as fun as you to brighten up the discussion.
Look on the bright side Toad and Bowser Jr. fans; At least now that Rosalina's in the game, we know she'll have more history, so there's a chance Captain Toad and Bowser Jr. could get in as spin-off characters like Yoshi or Wario.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Look on the bright side Toad and Bowser Jr. fans; At least now that Rosalina's in the game, we know she'll have more history, so there's a chance Captain Toad and Bowser Jr. could get in as spin-off characters like Yoshi or Wario.
If Toad or Bowser Jr. get in, they'll be Mario characters. It makes sense for Yoshi and Wario, since they are the stars of their own franchises. It doesn't make sense for Toad or Bowser Jr..

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
You frequently see Waluigi in the top 10 lists of worst Mario/Nintendo characters. I'm sure that also has an effect as to why Nintendo doesn't want to put him the spotlight. It's like how Nintendo realized after Sunshine, people started to dislike Bowser, then changed his character in Galaxy to be more serious.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You frequently see Waluigi in the top 10 lists of worst Mario/Nintendo characters. I'm sure that also has an effect as to why Nintendo doesn't want to put him the spotlight. It's like how Nintendo realized after Sunshine, people started to dislike Bowser, then changed his character in Galaxy to be more serious.
I thought they just hated his voice, as he does still have some comic relief in him.... Well at least in the RPG's.

Anyway, I don't think I have posted here yet despite his disconfirmation a short while ago. My apologies.

My condolence to those who supported Waluigi, I hope he does get a role at least in a Mario Platformer or a Wario game one day.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I honestly think if Waluigi gets a role in the Wario games he'd be a sure fire character. Just needs Wario to convince Nintendo to let him tag along.
Yeah I agree if he was in a Wario game I'd e fine with Waluigi, + he'd be a good Wario Ware rep.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm confused. There are Waluigi... fans?
Yes, and I am a Waluigi air conditioner.

Edit: It seems there are a few people who misinterpreted Mini Mic's post. Rather than thinking him being facetious and sarcastic, I would prefer to think him honestly surprised at Waluigi having fans.

Last edited:

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
...We did?
At least i did. I often see rosters that include the characters i mention.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you for the compliment, and for creating this thread in the first place. Boards like these are a great thing for discussions and interpretations, especially regarding characters as divisive as Waluigi.

Also...

Pic of the day for the PSA mod

Last edited:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
OH. ****. WA-LU-I-GI CON-FIR-ME-
"[...]assist trophy[...]"
"[...]which means he isn't playable[...]"
"[...]just because you try hard dosen't mean you'll get in[...]"

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Toad and jr. aren't deconfirmed for sure, though. We could just have 6 reps, cx.
*on topic now*
I feel bad for you Waluigi fans, still. I'd be crushed if Toad wasn't playable, (he has kinda sorta SOME hints) but you guys are taking it waaaaayy better than I would, cx.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Toad and jr. aren't deconfirmed for sure, though. We could just have 6 reps, cx.
*on topic now*
I feel bad for you Waluigi fans, still. I'd be crushed if Toad wasn't playable, (he has kinda sorta SOME hints) but you guys are taking it waaaaayy better than I would, cx.
I agree, I've been wanting Toad in for Smash ever since Melee and Brawl, although his chances are pretty much up in flames thanks to Rosalina (if we DO get a 6th rep they might add in Toad).
Then again these games are still in Beta I think, so changes could come before the games hit stores.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Such beautiful optimism.
I'm gonna go Bowser Jr. or bust though for a 6th Mario rep.
Although obviously I'd prefer Toad(and I suppose Captain Toad has yet to be deconfirmed, but it's a long shot) it's not looking hugely positive. But that's a conversation for the Toad Parade thread. Honestly get those two and Waluigi in and I'm totally satisfied with the Mario series.

Waluigi is out of the running this time round though, and he's the most famous spinoff character, so I think that's it for Spinoff Mario series(outside Yoshi and Wario)
I can't see E.Gadd, King Boo, Fawful, Geno, Daisy(sort of) or Birdo(Also sort of) getting in over him.

Hell, I'm iffy about Paper Mario too just because I'd of assumed we'd of seen an AT or a stage in Brawl at the very least.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Such beautiful optimism.
Hell, I'm iffy about Paper Mario too just because I'd of assumed we'd of seen an AT or a stage in Brawl at the very least.
I'm 75% against the idea of adding Paper Mario as a fighter (he's Mario in paper form and would cause the same comparison problems as Link/Toon Link), the only major reason why I didn't make it a 100% is because he wouldn't be a clone to Mario (which we don't need any more clones), unlike 1 known Toon version of a character (who's now back in SSB4).

Smady

Smash Master
Toad is not getting in after being revealed as Peach's neutral special. It's the sad reality for Toad fans that Toad may always be that one move and never get his own moveset, just because Sakurai doesn't want to fundamentally change Peach's set.

The only Mario rep I can see getting in, from the main series or its spin-offs anyway, is Bowser Jr. He's a fairly popular character who can rep for the 'New' games and everything in the mainline 3D Mario games where Rosalina is obviously not present. Although I think we'll probably not get any more Mario newcomers after Rosalina, who seems a big time investment. To implement Jr. and his paintbrush would take a lot of effort after Sakurai also spent a huge amount of time designing and creating the Luma. One of the reasons Waluigi had a decent shot was his moveset is just his racket and maybe other props, no fancy AI or anything else.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad is not getting in after being revealed as Peach's neutral special. It's the sad reality for Toad fans that Toad may always be that one move and never get his own moveset, just because Sakurai doesn't want to fundamentally change Peach's set.

The only Mario rep I can see getting in, from the main series or its spin-offs anyway, is Bowser Jr. He's a fairly popular character who can rep for the 'New' games and everything in the mainline 3D Mario games where Rosalina is obviously not present. Although I think we'll probably not get any more Mario newcomers after Rosalina, who seems a big time investment. To implement Jr. and his paintbrush would take a lot of effort after Sakurai also spent a huge amount of time designing and creating the Luma. One of the reasons Waluigi had a decent shot was his moveset is just his racket and maybe other props, no fancy AI or anything else.
It's a real shame Sakurai seems to think slapping an aesthetic moustache(and bow tie and suit) and changing the palette will fundamentally alter Peach's moveset.

But again, I'll have to agree on your sentiments on Bowser Jr. or bust. Maybe I can at least take satisfaction in getting a new punchbag now both Toad AND Waluigi are basically out. Beating up Rosalina, the most motherly woman in Smash just feels fricking mean.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
It's a real shame Sakurai seems to think slapping an aesthetic moustache(and bow tie and suit) and changing the palette will fundamentally alter Peach's moveset.

But again, I'll have to agree on your sentiments on Bowser Jr. or bust. Maybe I can at least take satisfaction in getting a new punchbag now both Toad AND Waluigi are basically out. Beating up Rosalina, the most motherly woman in Smash just feels fricking mean.
This is no the place for Toad discussion, take it to the Toad thread. This is for Waluigi.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

It's mainly a popularity contest now, although I do agree beating up Rosalina is like beating up a million Pichus and seeing them shed tears when hit, that is mean.

Anyways Waluigi Time!

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master

I'd love for Toadsworth to be part of the Toad gambit too, but Sakurai probably thinks it's important it be the generic Toad. It's not a well-thought out explanation but Sakurai has to consider a lot of things all at once over a short amount of time, so that may be his cold, hard logic on Toad. I also am not so against beating up Rosalina when she has that Luma as a meat shield.

To connect this to Waluigi, there's actually a web of reps that surround him that make Toad relevant. Waluigi would represent the spin-offs, so could Toad and Rosalina now she's in Mario Kart and so on, Waluigi uses sport props, so can Miis. Waluigi alongside Toad out opens the way for Mii in a logical, if convoluted way. I'll be a little mad if Mii is confirmed using the set Waluigi would have, as that may keep Waluigi unplayable for good.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I love how this thread is more active now that he's deconfirmed...

Smady

Smash Master
It is kind of funny yeah. He was the most well-known potential newcomer to be deconfirmed, and that does have a big effect on the other newcomers as well, so there is good reason for the renewed discussion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
im one, have you seen the video of the guy who makes the waluigi for brawl? and i thought ashley would have been a great addition, especially if she used red in her moveset
You mean like how Rosalina uses Luma in her moveset? Ashley confirmed to be Rosalina clone in SSB5. :troll:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Don't know if I ever came here to pay my respects to Waluigi. He is one of the more likable Mario characters because of his personality. Here's to hoping he appears in the main Mario and Wario series more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would avoid getting overly optimistic about a 6th Mario character. Chances certainly point towards that not happening right now.

fill

20EggsEggs
You mean like how Rosalina uses Luma in her moveset? Ashley confirmed to be Rosalina clone in SSB5. :troll:
that or like peach/toad. i do feel like the assist trophies, all very good assist trophies, but they would make awesome fighters, ashley, waluigi, skull kid...even some of the brawl ones ray mk iii etc

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh! A Peach & Toad team sounds interesting... too bad her idea of teamwork consists of using him as a human body shield. :p

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, I've said this over at the Social Thread. And I'll say it here...

Even if he never got in. It will always be Waluigi Time in our hearts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom