• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
YOUR FACE IS TOO BIG

AND BESIDES, IT´S NOT WALUIGI´S FAULT. THOSE POISONOUS EGGPLANTS AND FRENCH ONION SOUPS WALUIGI EATS ARE FILLED WITH PROTEIN. NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE A BIG, SEXY AND SKINNY BODY LIKE HIM. YOU IS JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU ARE A RED BLOB WITH A BANDANA.

Say that one more time...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but nobody really wants to see him on the Project M roster. And I honestly doubt any Mario character besides Paper Mario has a legitimate shot. Waluigi seems like a character just made to appear as an Assist Trophy to. Not so much on the level of 'could actually be playable' as the likes of Isaac, Saki, Lyn or Little Mac.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah but nobody really wants to see him on the Project M roster. And I honestly doubt any Mario character besides Paper Mario has a legitimate shot. Waluigi seems like a character just made to appear as an Assist Trophy to. Not so much on the level of 'could actually be playable' as the likes of Isaac, Saki, Lyn or Little Mac.
I haven't really considered any character outside of the Smash universe for Project M.
It's just a mod really, I don't treat it like anything more than that.

D

Deleted member

Why are we debating whether Waluigi is in SSB4 when we can just ask Diddy Kong. I'd also like to know who the fourth playable character is in DKCR2!

No disrespect to you Diddy but Lyn and Saki over Waluigi? Nah man, nah.

And thanks for the little bit of feedback WAA! Don't worry, the down aerial will be changed when it's posted here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lanky Kong of course. Who else?

Lyn actually was a pretty popular character pre-Brawl. Her playstyle also would be highly unique, and that's the reason why everyone seems to want her for Project M to. And deny it or not, but her appearance in Brawl could have given her favor of a DLC-character in Awakening over Eliwood and Hector to. Plus, she's probably the 4th most recognisable Fire Emblem character next to Marth, Ike and Roy cause of FE7 and Brawl.

Saki is more tricky, and I personally do not really want him, but can't deny his unique playstyle. Plus, his game has been translated for the Wii's VC back in the day. His AT appearance at least had some significance because of this.

Waluigi... Is still just a generic filler Mario spin-off character. Daisy, Boo, Shy Guy, Koopa and Birdo are quite comparable to him in this matter. But all those outside of Daisy still appear in main games.

D

Deleted member

Lanky Kong? No way! It'll be Funky. And I'll be disappointed if K. Rool makes no appearance yet again.

The difference between Waluigi and Daisy, Boo, Shy Guy, Koopa and Birdo is that Waluigi is popular, and teams with Wario who is already in Smash Bros. He's a good representative of those spin-off games (if you believe they deserve one) and now that Toad is practically deconfirmed in my mind, the only remaining character who could fill that role. This is why he could have an interesting moveset, by making use of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis props in combination with the Mario/Luigi/Wario moves that can be adapted. I wouldn't call him generic or filler, why would you say that? I would say that Baby characters or Boo is a filler character, not Waluigi, who has a distinctive personality.

However I appreciate your arguments and keep em coming. I personally don't think they could have used Awakening characters for Brawl considering the time frame (right around Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon's releases) and I imagine the roster was finalized long before Awakening was in production. She also gets less and less relevant as time passes in a manner similar to Skull Kid, I can see Lucina in before her. Saki would be nice and I like his game but his game is fairly niché, I'd say Isaac or Shulk from Xenoblade are likelier and even they aren't likely, in my opinion.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Lanky Kong of course. Who else?

Lyn actually was a pretty popular character pre-Brawl. Her playstyle also would be highly unique, and that's the reason why everyone seems to want her for Project M to. And deny it or not, but her appearance in Brawl could have given her favor of a DLC-character in Awakening over Eliwood and Hector to. Plus, she's probably the 4th most recognisable Fire Emblem character next to Marth, Ike and Roy cause of FE7 and Brawl.

Saki is more tricky, and I personally do not really want him, but can't deny his unique playstyle. Plus, his game has been translated for the Wii's VC back in the day. His AT appearance at least had some significance because of this.

Waluigi... Is still just a generic filler Mario spin-off character. Daisy, Boo, Shy Guy, Koopa and Birdo are quite comparable to him in this matter. But all those outside of Daisy still appear in main games.

Yet, is there as much of a following for Daisy, Boo, Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa or Birdo as there is the Waluigi fanbase? I'll agree that Saki can have priority, but not Lyn or (wait for it...) Impa. And I've said before I don't dislike the idea of Impa as a separate character, I just don't like pairing her with Zelda.

Also, Waluigi, Paper Mario and Toad are the only true competitors for the Mario spot. Bowser Junior's just... ugh.

D

Deleted member

Yet, is there as much of a following for Daisy, Boo, Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa or Birdo as there is the Waluigi fanbase? I'll agree that Saki can have priority, but not Lyn or (wait for it...) Impa. And I've said before I don't dislike the idea of Impa as a separate character, I just don't like pairing her with Zelda.

Also, Waluigi, Paper Mario and Toad are the only true competitors for the Mario spot. Bowser Junior's just... ugh.
Rearing off-topic but I have grown to resent Bowser Jr. as a character. Clearly worse than every Koopaling for originality but gets access to the most fun toys and weapons at Bowser's disposal. I know it fits that moniker of 'spoiled brat' but it's incredibly overplayed at this point.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Rearing off-topic but I have grown to resent Bowser Jr. as a character. Clearly worse than every Koopaling for originality but gets access to the most fun toys and weapons at Bowser's disposal. I know it fits that moniker of 'spoiled brat' but it's incredibly overplayed at this point.

I would enjoy a paintbrush-wielding character, but I'd rather see Mickey Mouse make it in and open up thousands of fourth-party choices than Bowser Junior. And he probably wouldn't even use the paintbrush, the one thing that made him unique from his siblings (oh wait, they're not siblings. CO-WORKERS...) the Koopalings. He do shell spins, use his claws, breathe fire, basically be a semi-clone of Bowser. And, why does Mario need another antagonist as a playable character? Waluigi's neutral, and represents the spin-offs, Toad's the only main character left, and Paper Mario's the RPG character. Bowser Junior is just Bowser, but smaller. That's how they'd do him.

Since Toad's looking very unlikely now, all of my Mario support goes to Waluigi.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi has always been my favorite character in the Mario franchise... I'm going to be sad if he doesn't appear in any Smash games.

D

Deleted member

I would enjoy a paintbrush-wielding character, but I'd rather see Mickey Mouse make it in and open up thousands of fourth-party choices than Bowser Junior. And he probably wouldn't even use the paintbrush, the one thing that made him unique from his siblings (oh wait, they're not siblings. CO-WORKERS...) the Koopalings. He do shell spins, use his claws, breathe fire, basically be a semi-clone of Bowser. And, why does Mario need another antagonist as a playable character? Waluigi's neutral, and represents the spin-offs, Toad's the only main character left, and Paper Mario's the RPG character. Bowser Junior is just Bowser, but smaller. That's how they'd do him.

Since Toad's looking very unlikely now, all of my Mario support goes to Waluigi.
Yeah I agree pretty much entirely on everything that you said here. Don't you love how Miyamoto deconfirmed the harems/Koopalings being children, and now made him into a furry in the latest game? Maybe it explains why Bowser Jr. turned out so snotty, but as you said, I don't think they put any thought into that kind of thing at Nintendo (unless it concerns Legend of Zelda). I can see a Bowser Jr. assist trophy more than a moveset, and it'd just be Squirtle with fire effects, wouldn't it? No one wants that but Sakurai isn't going to make a Shadow Mario "Sheik" just for the character. It's a lot like the argument that Krystal will of course use her staff, because well, why not? These Gamecube era gimmicks are so old hat to Nintendo after all this time.

D

Deleted member

There's only room for one twig thin ugly freak of nature in purple, and that's Ridley Waluigi, not Impa.

Get that ***** out of this thread.

D

Deleted member

Impa should replace Sheik though, Sheik is a horrible character. But the idea she'd get in on her own merit is a big no.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa as a separate character from Zelda instead of Sheik being a separate character makes far more sence though.

And yes, Lanky Kong.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yeah I agree pretty much entirely on everything that you said here. Don't you love how Miyamoto deconfirmed the harems/Koopalings being children, and now made him into a furry in the latest game? Maybe it explains why Bowser Jr. turned out so snotty, but as you said, I don't think they put any thought into that kind of thing at Nintendo (unless it concerns Legend of Zelda). I can see a Bowser Jr. assist trophy more than a moveset, and it'd just be Squirtle with fire effects, wouldn't it? No one wants that but Sakurai isn't going to make a Shadow Mario "Sheik" just for the character. It's a lot like the argument that Krystal will of course use her staff, because well, why not? These Gamecube era gimmicks are so old hat to Nintendo after all this time.

Meowser seriously made me rethink the Mario series. They focus too much on power-ups now. In Super Mario 3D Land, the Tanooki was chosen to return. Didn't fly or turn into a statue, but it was back! So, naturally, EVERYTHING IS A TANOOKI NOW. Same with 3D World, everybody wants to be a cat. What's next? Are we going to get Cape Goombas? Propeller Bullet Bills?

And on the CameCube era, fans truly do focus on that too much. Bowser Junior, Krystal and many others missed their chance in Brawl, and now they don't even use the abilities that made people want them in Smash in the first place. Now, sometimes certain things from the GameCube era become relevant and recent again (not that it's an excuse), such as Luigi using a Poltergust, and Toon Link using his weapons from Wind Waker or Tetra appearing. But, I'm fairly certain those won't happen either! Bowser Junior is not worthy of being in over Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, even Dr. Mario. I don't like the character at all, the one thing that made him unique was scrapped and only used in, what, 2 spin-offs ever again? Of course, the same argument can be added to F.L.U.D.D.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Bowser Jr. is more likely than Waluigi. (and much more likely than Dr. Mario) While it's true the paintbrush hasn't been used in a while, that doesn't completely, or heavily rule him out. It doesn't necessarily mean Jr. wouldn't use it. And Jr. would probably be a partial clone, but I fully doubt Sakurai would look at Jr. in hopes of making a clone of recently revamped character, espescially when many of Bowser's moves would not work well with Jr. And in term of relevance he's practically the secondary antagonist of the franchise.

Personal preference over Jr. I can understand of course, but Jr. is still more likely than Waluigi.

In term of least likely Mario newcomers...Rosalina and Geno.

I'd like to get back on topic, though anything is better than an Impa discussion.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Bowser Jr. is more likely than Waluigi.

Personal preference over Jr. I can understand of course, but Jr. is still more likely than Waluigi.

In term of least likely Mario newcomers...Rosalina and Geno.

I'd like to get back on topic though.

I personally see it this way for my preferences for the next Mario newcomer:

Toad > Waluigi > Paper Mario > Geno > Dr. Mario > Bowser Junior > Rosalina

Waluigi has too much potential in my eyes to be a tennis racket AT again.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally see it this way for my preferences for the next Mario newcomer:

Toad > Waluigi > Paper Mario > Geno > Dr. Mario > Bowser Junior > Rosalina

Waluigi has too much potential in my eyes to be a tennis racket AT again.
Personally I'd prefer Jr., Waluigi or Paper Mario above all others. I'd settle for Toad as well.

Geno would be a nice surprise.

But I don't really want Dr. Mario to return as anything other than a alt. costume. And I don't really want Rosalina in either.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Personally I'd prefer Jr., Waluigi or Paper Mario above all others. I'd settle for Toad as well.

Geno would be a nice surprise.

But I don't really want Dr. Mario to return as anything other than a alt. costume. And I don't really want Rosalina in either.

I really don't like the ideas of Bowser Junior or Rosalina. Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno or Toad should be the Mario newcomer. I like Dr. Mario, he seems unlikely, but I'd still prefer him over the Koopa Prince or the Mother of the Cosmos.

Don't even get me started on Princess Daisy.

D

Deleted member

Meowser seriously made me rethink the Mario series. They focus too much on power-ups now. In Super Mario 3D Land, the Tanooki was chosen to return. Didn't fly or turn into a statue, but it was back! So, naturally, EVERYTHING IS A TANOOKI NOW. Same with 3D World, everybody wants to be a cat. What's next? Are we going to get Cape Goombas? Propeller Bullet Bills?

And on the CameCube era, fans truly do focus on that too much. Bowser Junior, Krystal and many others missed their chance in Brawl, and now they don't even use the abilities that made people want them in Smash in the first place. Now, sometimes certain things from the GameCube era become relevant and recent again (not that it's an excuse), such as Luigi using a Poltergust, and Toon Link using his weapons from Wind Waker or Tetra appearing. But, I'm fairly certain those won't happen either! Bowser Junior is not worthy of being in over Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, even Dr. Mario. I don't like the character at all, the one thing that made him unique was scrapped and only used in, what, 2 spin-offs ever again? Of course, the same argument can be added to F.L.U.D.D.
You can go back much further in my opinion to find fault with the Mario series, especially the handhelds. Mario Land 2 had extremely unique levels and introduced Wario as the main villain. It had an evil witch, the Three Little Pigs, a rat, an octopus, a space alien and other insane characters as bosses. Levels where you shrink down to a microscopic size and explore a house, or explore space, or a precarious tree top. Compare that to NSMB2 and you have the grass world, desert world and waterworld. Yawn. Constantly rehashing the same bosses and villains is only a small part of how bad that series has degraded on a creative level, even if it's impressive how they've built on the graphics. Hell even the music is worse because of the BAHs!

BAHs are the opposite of WAA in every way. Every way.

I also won't deny Bowser Jr. is more well-known and has a bigger reputation than Waluigi right now, but that's not all that is taken into consideration for Sakurai. The fact Bowser Jr. got no assist trophy in Brawl while Waluigi did, I think says quite a bit, and that was when he was starting to peak in notoriety by appearing in every Mario game. And good joke about Geno, hehe.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
You can go back much further in my opinion to find fault with the Mario series, especially the handhelds. Mario Land 2 had extremely unique levels and introduced Wario as the main villain. It had an evil witch, the Three Little Pigs, a rat, an octopus, a space alien and other insane characters as bosses. Levels where you shrink down to a microscopic size and explore a house, or explore space, or a precarious tree top. Compare that to NSMB2 and you have the grass world, desert world and waterworld. Yawn. Constantly rehashing the same bosses and villains is only a small part of how bad that series has degraded on a creative level, even if it's impressive how they've built on the graphics. Hell even the music is worse because of the BAHs!

BAHs are the opposite of WAA in every way. Every way.

I also won't deny Bowser Jr. is more well-known and has a bigger reputation than Waluigi right now, but that's not all that is taken into consideration for Sakurai. The fact Bowser Jr. got no assist trophy in Brawl while Waluigi did, I think says quite a bit, and that was when he was starting to peak in notoriety by appearing in every Mario game. And good joke about Geno, hehe.

Wait, what joke about Geno? :p I like Geno, he's just really unlikely and there are better options. But I'd prefer him over Bowser Junior.

The New Super Mario Bros. games aren't fun. The only one that did anything different was the original on the DS. Otherwise, it's all the same. Wii's Castle theme was cool, but the rest was the Rabbid Choir interpretation of a Mario game. Bowser Junior's lost respect from me due to the fact that, more recently, his battles are either a rehash of Super Mario World's Bowser Battle, or the Super Mario World Koopaling battles, except he whines. The Koopalings returning for one more game? OK. Two? Meh. 3? That's forcing them down our throats. Bowser Junior is pretty well-known, but he's not original anymore. Waluigi can be.

D

Deleted member

Impa should replace Sheik though, Sheik is a horrible character. But the idea she'd get in on her own merit is a big no.
The idea that a secondary character should replace a transformation for another character is a really poor one. If Impa can't get in on her own merit (which I agree with), there is no point in trying to squeeze her in by making her take the place of Zelda's "Sheik Mode".

But that's talk for the Dimpa thread. This thread is for WAA.

D

Deleted member

Wait, what joke about Geno? :p I like Geno, he's just really unlikely and there are better options. But I'd prefer him over Bowser Junior.

The New Super Mario Bros. games aren't fun. The only one that did anything different was the original on the DS. Otherwise, it's all the same. Wii's Castle theme was cool, but the rest was the Rabbid Choir interpretation of a Mario game. Bowser Junior's lost respect from me due to the fact that, more recently, his battles are either a rehash of Super Mario World's Bowser Battle, or the Super Mario World Koopaling battles, except he whines. The Koopalings returning for one more game? OK. Two? Meh. 3? That's forcing them down our throats. Bowser Junior is pretty well-known, but he's not original anymore. Waluigi can be.
I was kidding, because I think the idea Geno could get in at all is really unlikely. He has zero chance, it's not even a Nintendo IP. Though I would prefer him to Bowser Jr. They need to mix things up desperately in the Mario series, I was really hoping they'd re-introduce Wart in 3D World because he would fit in with all the other SMB2 references, I felt the same way about Dream Team and its dream theme. In 3D World's case, it would be far more interesting than what we ended up with, but nah. What's weird is there are actually fans of Mario who want a constant rehashing of Bowser as the main villain. I don't want to put Bowser away forever, or Bowser Jr. necessarily, but jeez, don't literally make every game have the exact same plot.

The idea that a secondary character should replace a transformation for another character is a really poor one. If Impa can't get in on her own merit (which I agree with), there is no point in trying to squeeze her in by making her take the place of Zelda's "Sheik Mode".

But that's talk for the Dimpa thread. This thread is for WAA.

My logic is simple. The moveset is unique, people like it, but Sheik sucks, so lets just pass on the moveset (with some tweaks) to a character who is not a fart in the wind.

Though if they bring back Sheik in the new Zelda she'll be back in, obviously, I just don't want to see them accomodating for Sheik instead of using Impa.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I was kidding, because I think the idea Geno could get in at all is really unlikely. He has zero chance, it's not even a Nintendo IP. Though I would prefer him to Bowser Jr. They need to mix things up desperately in the Mario series, I was really hoping they'd re-introduce Wart in 3D World because he would fit in with all the other SMB2 references, I felt the same way about Dream Team and its dream theme. In 3D World's case, it would be far more interesting than what we ended up with, but nah. What's weird is there are actually fans of Mario who want a constant rehashing of Bowser as the main villain. I don't want to put Bowser away forever, or Bowser Jr. necessarily, but jeez, don't literally make every game have the exact same plot.

As I said, Geno is EXTREMELY unlikely, Rosalina probably has a better chance than him, yet I'd still prefer him over Bowser Junior. Mario really does need to mix it up a bit, I'm sick of Bowser a bit. Where's Wart and the 8-Bits? Wario and Waluigi? They'd make a great subject matter for a game. I'm sick of having to fight a huge Bowser at the end of each game, I'm sick of Bowser Junior and the Koopalings, of Boom-Boom, of Kamek, of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad, all I ask for is variety. I don't even care if Nabbit is playable again, I just want variety. In a good world, a Mario 3D platformer, WITH Mario, Luigi, Wario, Peach and Toad (the original, not Blue or Yellow) and Waluigi as an unlockable would be amazing. Give it a Bowser + Wart team-up, see Birdo as a boss, have Yoshis be part of your team (heck, even Yoshi would be awesome as a playable character) and fight some new bosses too, with Wario and Waluigi turning on you in the final battle. It'd be great!

Also, return Hammer Bros. Suit, Frog Suit, Propeller Suit and the Metal Cap, we're good.

D

Deleted member

As I said, Geno is EXTREMELY unlikely, Rosalina probably has a better chance than him, yet I'd still prefer him over Bowser Junior. Mario really does need to mix it up a bit, I'm sick of Bowser a bit. Where's Wart and the 8-Bits? Wario and Waluigi? They'd make a great subject matter for a game. I'm sick of having to fight a huge Bowser at the end of each game, I'm sick of Bowser Junior and the Koopalings, of Boom-Boom, of Kamek, of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad, all I ask for is variety. I don't even care if Nabbit is playable again, I just want variety. In a good world, a Mario 3D platformer, WITH Mario, Luigi, Wario, Peach and Toad (the original, not Blue or Yellow) and Waluigi as an unlockable would be amazing. Give it a Bowser + Wart team-up, see Birdo as a boss, have Yoshis be part of your team (heck, even Yoshi would be awesome as a playable character) and fight some new bosses too, with Wario and Waluigi turning on you in the final battle. It'd be great!

Also, return Hammer Bros. Suit, Frog Suit, Propeller Suit and the Metal Cap, we're good.
You know what I'd like even more than Waluigi in the main Mario games?

An original villain.

I get the sense though, they're not of the same mindset as fans like us, and more trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator who would prefer Peach out of nostalgia or to have a female, rather than rocking the boat. Bowser is again simply the safest option. Designing enemies who have obvious attack patterns modelled after the power-ups of the protagonists is never going to challenge the player. And reinforcing their comfort with rehashed worlds and levels is just painless as well. Fortunately Sakurai has some personal standards and a vision, God forbid, so he may actually put Waluigi in Smash, for example. I wish everyone at Nintendo shared his vision.

D

Deleted member

My logic is simple. The moveset is unique, people like it, but Sheik sucks, so lets just pass on the moveset (with some tweaks) to a character who is not a fart in the wind.
Though if they bring back Sheik in the new Zelda she'll be back in, obviously, I just don't want to see them accomodating for Sheik instead of using Impa.
And Impa doesn't? In retrospect, your logic is "replace something that sucks with something else that sucks".
Only in this case, you're going for the case of relevancy, something that has been brushed off so much, even with the Zelda characters. And by relevancy, Impa's just an old fart again.

But relevancy aside, the idea is to take away a transformation (as in, not a separate individual, but an alternate form/mode/whatever) and put in some separate secondary character in it's place.
That's like taking out Wario-Man as Wario's Final Smash and having Dr. Crygor back in his Smooth Moves appearance be used instead for the same exact purpose.

But anywho...I'd rather continue this convo to a PM if you don't mind; this has nothing to do with Waluigi. :p

Now, for something that does have to do with Waluigi, I cannot shake the feeling that if we do get him, we're going to get an original design based on a hypothetical WarioWare appearance for the sole reason to match Wario.
I've noticed that characters from the same "universe" are made to match each other in their appearance for the most part. With Waluigi, this would imply being stylized like Mario/Luigi, but it may make more sense to have him stylized like Wario, who he's most associated with, regardless of not being present in the WarioWare franchise.
So I keep imagining something like this as a possibility:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

See, this is a completely subjective statement. Unless if this is what Sakurai himself thinks, I don't think you or any of us are in any position to say what will happen or not. (Of course this isn't to say that you don't have the right to express your opinions, that's the purpose of speculation, heh) This is all for speculation on what could happen. To throw around ideas and show what we think could potentially work. It's all in good fun. And it's a Waluigi support thread. Why post if you're just going to knock it? =/

Waluigi has always been my favorite character in the Mario franchise... I'm going to be sad if he doesn't appear in any Smash games.
Heh, well an Assist Trophy is a decently noteworthy Smash appearance, right? :B

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
I just think it doesn´t make much sense to people to think that Daisy has a greater chance of appearing in the series than Waluigi for the sole fact that she showed up in a "main game", which is a spin-off by the way. Yeah.Let me just put here the dictionary definition of spin-off:

Spin-off: Something derived from earlier work, such as a television show starring a character who had a popular minor role in another show. Sounds familiar ? Because that is what the Mario Bros game is. A spin-off of Donkey Kong starring the protagonist, but in a entirely different setting. And then comes Super Mario Bros, which is a spin-off of the Mario Bros series ( there is more than just one Mario Bros game). And so on and so forth. Pretty much EVERY Mario game is a spin-off. But i can see why Waluigi´s priority seems lower ( when it isn´t) because he debuted in the spin-off of the spin-off ( a lame one at that).
However, so did Daisy and Wario. Wario debuted in a spin-off from the Super Mario Bros series and so did Daisy. Wario debuted as Mario´s big, greedy and jealous rival, and Daisy would debut as.... the princess of Sarasaland. And that´s it. Nowadays the only traits that set Daisy apart from Peach are: her flower powers (which work like Peach´s hearts with a different look), her crystal power in Strikers, her color, her tomboy attitude and.... seriously, i can´t think of anything else. And i´ve tried. If anyone knows what are the differences between Daisy and Peach, or any arguments that can prove me she deserves the appearence in Smash more than Waluigi, please tell me. And bear in mind, these differences only came a long time after her introduction.
But it´s not a good idea to judge characters based on their introductions. People love to claim Waluigi´s design is ****ty and without personality, spin-off filler, a poor man´s Wario, etc,etc,etc. Then tell me, what was Luigi, in his first appearences, besides Green Mario ? It took him far longer to have a personality, and it was only in the Super Mario Adventures. It would take far longer for Luigi to become the man he is today. Peach was , for a long time, the damsel in distress that needed rescue ( Super Mario Bros 2 aside) and that´s it. Even nowadays her character goes little beyond that.

"Waluigi was only created to be Wario´s doubles partner/ spin-off filler": This doesn´t really cut it because characters are created for those exact reasons. Luigi was only created to be Player 2, Wario was created to be Mario´s rival, Peach exists for the purpose of being Mario´s prize at the end of his adventures, etc. Even Mario himself was only created because Nintendo couldn´t get the rights for a Popeye game. Waluigi was created with the intention of being Wario´s partner and Luigi´s rival, in the exact same manner as Wario. The difference is that, while Wario would debut being the villain in a platformer spin-off of Super Mario Bros, Waluigi would debut as Wario´s double partner. At this point i can understand why people don´t take him seriously as a villain, since the first impression is the one that people tend to remember. In his introduction, Waluigi started out as Wario´s partner and Luigi´s angry, narcisistic and mysterious rival. And it´s a bloody shame that he still didn´t got a chance to be the main villain or a protagonist. Even though his character has a lot of potential, it still has to be shown.
"He never had a single major role in his life/never was a protagonist/spin-off filler": In 13 years of existence, Waluigi has yet make an appearence as a major villain or a protagonist ( he fits the villain protagonist role, not the anti-hero). He had two real appearences as a villain. In Mario Party 3, where he is the penultimate boss and steals the role from Bowser, and in DDR: Mario Mix, where he is essentially the cause of the plot. Wario, in comparision, exists for 21 years and had 3 appearences as a villain in the games: Super Mario Land 2, Mario vs Wario and Wario´s Woods, and a lot more appearences as an anti-hero. But if we are really going to count appearences and games as a source, then Daisy, Birdo and Geno have zero chance because they never had an noteworthy appearence ( alongside the many, many other reasons). Do people even want Birdo ? Does anyone think she deserves the spot more than Waluigi ? Because all of her character is in that ribbon on her head and that´s it. I know Geno is the poster boy for Mario fan-favorites, but his appearence is at a third-party company really diminishes his chances, especially alongside the fact he only had ONE game ( a massively overrated one, though good) in his entire creation. This is one of the reasons why Geno won´t be getting in Smash before Waluigi. I mean, just go asking people if they know Geno or if they know Waluigi. Cause i think a character who showed up on 38 games is more known to the public than a character who appeared in one old game. I like Geno, but he is so overrated it´s absurd

"He is ugly/creepy/child molester/spin-off filler": This is extreme personal opinion and doesn´t really work as an argument. The character was never meant to be creepy. If you think he is, that´s your opinion, really;

"He´s not interesting/unique/spin-off filler": Again, personal opinion. I can understand that people ( likely those who only look at the character in the outside) don´t think he is interesting. But opinion is not an argument. Besides, if you think Waluigi can´t get in because everything he does older characters like Toad or Daisy can do, it´s because you never really paid attention to his moveset potential. Let´s not forget. Sakurai managed to make Wii Fit Trainer a character( i won´t say interesting cause i think she is possibly the worst choice besides Tingle or Toad). He surely can make Waluigi, a character who he has a lot of ground to work with, a new character. Hell, he could even make Daisy a character

Please show me i´m wrong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never argued Daisy had a better chance at all. Of course, out of the 2, Waluigi would be chosen. HOWEVER, I do feel both are just outcasts in the Mario franchise only to serve as a partner / friend for Peach, and a rival to Luigi / partner to Wario. This has the unfortunate disadvantage that no WarioWare or Wario Land character could ever serve Waluigi's purpose in the Mario spin-off, like Diddy does with Donkey Kong. Which is of course a damn blasted shame. However, Smash is a far easier place to expect a 2nd Wario character, and I see this happening MUCH earlier than Waluigi making the entrance. As Smash, unlike Mario Party / Kart / Golf, relies far less on individual character's roles, so a rival to Luigi, or a partner to Wario (Waluigi's purpose) isn't needed at all. Mario will happily smack the living **** out of Peach if given the chance, and otherwise. I just see Waluigi as purposeless. He's not even a very wanted, unique, or extremely popular MARIO character (and Mario = hugely popular, always) and that's the whole damn point. I am just NOT seeing him happening at all, especially with the potential candidates of Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. around (Toad, R.I.P. I swear to God I'll already regret every hit I'm gonna hit you with if Peach is ****** enough to use you as a shield to me).

So that's my rant, and opinion. Unlike what many people like to think of me, I actually do have legitimate reasons to not want / expect Waluigi but if you rather see me as a troll... Be my guest.

@ Official Waa: Wario cannot be compared to Waluigi at all in terms of roles. Wario greatly grew out of his first role. He had tons of character development, and soon after his boss battle in a game that might be a spin-off, but still fits with the main gerne of the series, he got Wario Land. Waluigi however, is still doing exactly the same as in his first role: playing tennis with Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Wario and the whole gangbang.

Also, I really love how people bring Impa in this thread just for seeing me. :laugh: I don't even have to do NOTHING!

My opinion though? Smash Daddy summarized it perfectly!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now, for something that does have to do with Waluigi, I cannot shake the feeling that if we do get him, we're going to get an original design based on a hypothetical WarioWare appearance for the sole reason to match Wario.
I've noticed that characters from the same "universe" are made to match each other in their appearance for the most part. With Waluigi, this would imply being stylized like Mario/Luigi, but it may make more sense to have him stylized like Wario, who he's most associated with, regardless of not being present in the WarioWare franchise.
So I keep imagining something like this as a possibility:

Ignored the Impa part on purpose, but...

Why do WarioWare Waluigi (nonexcistant character) over the likes of:

Or:

Or hell, even a better joke character than Waluigi:

Seriously, there are no reasons.

Mona and Ashley at least both are popular. And wanna argue Waluigi's Assist Trophy status (which was categorised as a MARIO franchise AT btw) :

Waluigi just loses to all THOSE characters and to the unnoticed Mario reps, who are huge names mostly. Yet fail compared to the Big 4: :mario2::bowser2::peach::luigi2: .

Hence I can never see Waluigi being seriously considered.

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
I never argued Daisy had a better chance at all. Of course, out of the 2, Waluigi would be chosen. HOWEVER, I do feel both are just outcasts in the Mario franchise only to serve as a partner / friend for Peach, and a rival to Luigi / partner to Wario. This has the unfortunate disadvantage that no WarioWare or Wario Land character could ever serve Waluigi's purpose in the Mario spin-off, like Diddy does with Donkey Kong. Which is of course a damn blasted shame. However, Smash is a far easier place to expect a 2nd Wario character, and I see this happening MUCH earlier than Waluigi making the entrance. As Smash, unlike Mario Party / Kart / Golf, relies far less on individual character's roles, so a rival to Luigi, or a partner to Wario (Waluigi's purpose) isn't needed at all. Mario will happily smack the living **** out of Peach if given the chance, and otherwise. (Toad, R.I.P. I swear to God I'll already regret every hit I'm gonna hit you with if Peach is *****y enough to use you as a shield to me).

So that's my rant, and opinion. Unlike what many people like to think of me, I actually do have legitimate reasons to not want / expect Waluigi but if you rather see me as a troll... Be my guest.

@ Official Waa: Wario cannot be compared to Waluigi at all in terms of roles. Wario greatly grew out of his first role. He had tons of character development, and soon after his boss battle in a game that might be a spin-off, but still fits with the main gerne of the series, he got Wario Land. Waluigi however, is still doing exactly the same as in his first role: playing tennis with Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Wario and the whole gangbang.

Also, I really love how people bring Impa in this thread just for seeing me. :laugh: I don't even have to do NOTHING!

I never said you argued that and i don´t see you as a troll. I just think you are debating your reasons in the wrong thread. This the support thread for Waluigi, not the anti-Waluigi one. Yes, my long text was meant to be an answer, but i just felt i needed to be said. There are people who say Daisy is a better option than Waluigi. While my text was supposed to be an answer to you, it was also a message of my opinion i just liked to leave here I can´t compare Wario to Waluigi. I know Wario had a lot more development and outgrew his own role. I kept thinking about it. Can Wario be his own character nowadays without his antagonism to Mario ? Yes, he can. Even though he is just a lazy, greedy biker nowadays, he is his own full character ( albeit a lame one) and doesn´t need the antagonism to Mario.

The same can´t be said about Waluigi. While he has a very notable personality on his own, he is still the "Bad/Evil/Wrong/Inferior/Nasty Luigi". His character still depends on his antagonism to the Mushroom Kingdom( it´s not just Luigi). Can Waluigi be his own character nowadays without his antagonism to Luigi ? Yes, actually. Is he ? No. Is this a bad thing ? No. People have always liked Wario, even before he got WarioWare. Being the rival to the Mario Bros isn´t a bad thing, really. People mistake Waluigi for a shameless rip-off when he really isn´t. I just won´t get into detail because walls of text are boring

And yes, Waluigi is really playing the same role as he has always been. Going for the parties with the cast and very, very, VERY occasionally (Mario Party 3, DDR: Mario Mix, Mario Party-e) doing some bad guy work. That is, when he doesn´t team with Wario to screw things up or just challenge the players by himself ( Mario & Sonic series). 15 years of existence and he has yet to outgrow his role as the oddball bad guy who doesn´t play by the rules. Just because he hasn´t doesn´t mean he can´t.

I just see Waluigi as purposeless. He's not even a very wanted, unique, or extremely popular MARIO character (and Mario = hugely popular, always) and that's the whole damn point. I am just NOT seeing him happening at all, especially with the potential candidates of Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. around

I see your opinion of Waluigi, i respect it and i won´t try to change it. But it´s not a fact. Just because you think that of him doesn´t mean others think the same. Opinions differ from facts

Or:

Mona and Ashley at least both are popular. And wanna argue Waluigi's Assist Trophy status (which was categorised as a MARIO franchise AT btw) :

Waluigi just loses to all THOSE characters and to the unnoticed Mario reps, who are huge names mostly. Yet fail compared to the Big 4: :mario2::bowser2::peach::luigi2: .

As a Wario character, yes. If we consider Waluigi as a Wario character, then he loses to all of the characters you´ve shown. Because he is not a Wario character. The idea of a redesign for Waluigi is great. But he is not a Wario character, which means his priority is less than those characters. As a Mario rep things change. But that´s a story for another day.

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
I never argued Daisy had a better chance at all. Of course, out of the 2, Waluigi would be chosen. HOWEVER, I do feel both are just outcasts in the Mario franchise only to serve as a partner / friend for Peach, and a rival to Luigi / partner to Wario. This has the unfortunate disadvantage that no WarioWare or Wario Land character could ever serve Waluigi's purpose in the Mario spin-off, like Diddy does with Donkey Kong. Which is of course a damn blasted shame. However, Smash is a far easier place to expect a 2nd Wario character, and I see this happening MUCH earlier than Waluigi making the entrance. As Smash, unlike Mario Party / Kart / Golf, relies far less on individual character's roles, so a rival to Luigi, or a partner to Wario (Waluigi's purpose) isn't needed at all. Mario will happily smack the living **** out of Peach if given the chance, and otherwise. (Toad, R.I.P. I swear to God I'll already regret every hit I'm gonna hit you with if Peach is *****y enough to use you as a shield to me).

I never said you argued that and i don´t see you as a troll. I just think you are debating your reasons in the wrong thread. This the support thread for Waluigi, not the anti-Waluigi one. Yes, my long text was meant to be an answer, but i just felt i needed to be said. There are people who say Daisy is a better option than Waluigi. While my text was supposed to be an answer to you, it was also a message of my opinion i just liked to leave here I can´t compare Wario to Waluigi. I know Wario had a lot more development and outgrew his own role. I kept thinking about it. Can Wario be his own character nowadays without his antagonism to Mario ? Yes, he can. Even though he is just a lazy, greedy biker nowadays, he is his own full character ( albeit a lame one) and doesn´t need the antagonism to Mario.

The same can´t be said about Waluigi. While he has a very notable personality on his own, he is still the "Bad/Evil/Wrong/Inferior/Nasty Luigi". His character still depends on his antagonism to the Mushroom Kingdom( it´s not just Luigi). Can Waluigi be his own character nowadays without his antagonism to Luigi ? Yes, actually. Is he ? No. Is this a bad thing ? No. People have always liked Wario, even before he got WarioWare. Being the rival to the Mario Bros isn´t a bad thing, really. People mistake Waluigi for a shameless rip-off when he really isn´t. I just won´t get into detail because walls of text are boring

And yes, Waluigi is really playing the same role as he has always been. Going for the parties with the cast and very, very, VERY occasionally (Mario Party 3, DDR: Mario Mix, Mario Party-e) doing some bad guy work. That is, when he doesn´t team with Wario to screw things up or just challenge the players by himself ( Mario & Sonic series). 15 years of existence and he has yet to outgrow his role as the oddball bad guy who doesn´t play by the rules. Just because he hasn´t doesn´t mean he can´t.

I just see Waluigi as purposeless. He's not even a very wanted, unique, or extremely popular MARIO character (and Mario = hugely popular, always) and that's the whole damn point. I am just NOT seeing him happening at all, especially with the potential candidates of Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. around

I see your opinion of Waluigi, i respect it and i won´t try to change it. But it´s not a fact. Just because you think that of him doesn´t mean others think the same. Opinions differ from facts

Or:

As a Wario character, yes. If we consider Waluigi as a Wario character, then he loses to all of the characters you´ve shown. Because he is not a Wario character. The idea of a redesign for Waluigi is great. But he is not a Wario character, which means his priority is less than those characters. As a Mario rep things change. But that´s a story for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom