• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Walljump LedgeGuard

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hello all! Here is a new technique which I discovered. It seems simple and commonknown at first sight, but shows itself then more useful than we thought of it!

~ Introduction ~

[Note : This technique works only on Final Destination]
(It also works on other stages, but it's not the same technique)

Let's make a virtual demonstration. You are Mario, and you want to prevent your opponent from going back up to the stage. You thus hang on to the ledge :

What are your options to prevent the opponent from returning?

You can drop, you make your second jump, and you can perform : a Back Air, a Down Air, or maybe a Up Air (In this case, Mario's cape is also a valid move, but that is not the point).

But you also have a Meteor Smash (your Forward Air). What a pity not to be able to use it...
But then why do not to use your capacity of bounce ?

Here is the procedure, on DF :

1- Let yourself fall down :

2- Jump towards the wall.

3- Steer your stick towards the opposite side to you while pressing on A :

4- You make your Fair in the place where you were at first ! !

5- Then, you must grab the ledge with your Up B :

You thus performed the technique which I simply call "Walljump LedgeGuard" !

~ List of interesting moves for the "Walljump LedgeGuard" ~

~ Mario :

~ Diddy Kong :

~ Sheik :

~ Toon Link :

~ Samus :

~ Zero Suit Samus :

~ Fox :

~ Falco :

~ Captain Falcon :

~ Pikachu :

~ Carapuce :

~ Lucario :

* : Move which does not require the use of Up B to regrab the ledge.
* : Move which allows you to go back up directly on the stage.

-----------------------------------​

Here is Here we are, it is just small craftiness for the characters having a capacity of walljump, on Final Destination. I hope that that is not going to reduce the casting of the characters to tournament to those who have a bounce capacity ^^ (That would amaze me but who knows ? ^^).

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
I thought that this was commonly known, also part of letting go of the edge is that you will fall down with different results based on how far to the side you angle the control stick in order to get off the ledge. Nice pics tho.

Blad01

Smash Lord
...Walljump?
?
Yes, it's a use of the Walljump ;) I used the term bouce because "Walljump Ledgeguard" didn't sound very cool to me, and because... i'm French :p

But yeah, this technique uses the Walljump to ledgeguard. But don't consider that like a commonknown tips, it can be really useful ;)

[EDIT : If you doubt, i will maybe make a video of it ;)

Why is this technique useful ?

- For Mario, you can use your Meteor Smash
- For Diddy, you can use your better Aerial
- Same for Squirtle
- For Sheik, you can use a move with a lot of priority (I just stopped twice a Firefox with his Fair)
- For Fox and Lucario, the move covers all the wall, and you are then able to regrab the edge, getting your invincibility frames
-... etc.]

Esca

Smash Champion
That was completely pointless, if your opponent is below the stage at the level you faired with mario, then you just click your limp recovery, by pressing r right on the edge, and it gives you inv. frames and takes a while to get back on.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
I recommend you close this thread for your own safety as there are people(not me) that will flame you to eternity if you make a guide this long for a simple "Wall Jump Ledgegaurd". It has some good pics so I wouldn't like you to have a bad outcome :p.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
?
Yes, it's a use of the Walljump ;) I used the term bouce because "Walljump Ledgeguard" didn't sound very cool to me, and because... i'm French :p

But yeah, this technique uses the Walljump to ledgeguard. But don't consider that like a commonknown tips, it can be really useful ;)
Ah, okay, I was just curious because if it didn't involve welljumping that would be a new thing to add to my repertoire .

Blad01

Smash Lord
@1HKO : ... I was sure of that...

I said it in the very beginning of the thread, don't consider this technique as "a simple Walljump"...

I took Mario as an example, maybe this was not smart, because others characters have very good uses of this. Just try it, it can be useful in EdgeGuarding, really ! ;)

And take a look at my preceding post.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Ah ok... Maybe, we'll see.

I played with this tips more, and it is extremely useful for Samus and Lucario :)

Galeon

Smash Ace
I liked the thread mostly cause of the pictures and the thing about landing on the stage or regrabbing without up-b'ing. Good job, man.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Why would you ever use Bair? If you wanted to use Bair then you should just ledgehop -> Bair -> edgegrab. If you do your thing you'll be facing the wrong way. lol

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
First flame!

First of all everyone should know about this "technique." It's common sense. And if you ever played Melee you'd have seen it plenty. Heck we have Scarjumping for Melee which an insanely sweet looking application of walljumping for an edgeguard.

Second, your opponent is almost never going to be that low when recovering unless they have awful DI. There are a few exceptions of characters who tend to recover from below the stage but honestly there are simpler and more effective ways to edgeguard them in Brawl. You'll notice walljumps tend to be stupidly slow in Brawl so you're really a lot better off just fast falling a Bair or other aerial after grabbing the ledge for most characters.

Nice pictures though.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
First flame!

First of all everyone should know about this "technique." It's common sense. And if you ever played Melee you'd have seen it plenty. Heck we have Scarjumping for Melee which an insanely sweet looking application of walljumping for an edgeguard.

Second, your opponent is almost never going to be that low when recovering unless they have awful DI. There are a few exceptions of characters who tend to recover from below the stage but honestly there are simpler and more effective ways to edgeguard them in Brawl. You'll notice walljumps tend to be stupidly slow in Brawl so you're really a lot better off just fast falling a Bair or other aerial after grabbing the ledge for most characters.

Nice pictures though.
Actually the applications are many as I have played some of the chars with glides and if they feel pressured they will fly under the stage and come out the other side. Also in general if you meteor cancel you will generally be coming up from below.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
This was actually pretty useful, Thanks a lot

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Well Blad01 is a Falco main, and Falco's Bair hits in the front of him with great knockback, so it would be useful if you where to use this as a mindgame trick.
Nice try, but why then doesn't Blad01 put Falco's Bair as a useful Ariel to use in this technique?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can see a modification of this working for characters that can wall cling. Sheik, Lucario, and Diddy could just wait on the wall for a second to time a perfectly placed fair or somethin. I'd only use it to have more precise aim on the characters that tend to recovery from below though(take Ike for instance)

Instead of walljumping you can drop towards the stage and jump the opposite direction-doing a fair. How about this-fall off regularly and do a fair, but facing the stage if they recover from below?

They all work in my eyes.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Keep in mind Lucario/Shiek/Diddy/Squirtle can also edge > wallcling > walljump > regrab/attack

Also, if you do it right (b-sticking without setting the c-stick to b) you can get back on the edge still charging an aura sphere (neutralB) with Lucario. Walljump > start charging > immediatly hit right, should cause Lucario to stop moving left, and start moving right.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
A Good thread on clearing up a technique found a while back in melee; being called the scar jump knee, a form of the wall jump edgeguard, as shown in the video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lsz-pTRhbQo&feature=related
for very advanced walljump ledgeguarding :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRxmZgsce0&feature=related.
This technique is also easier to perform on yoshi's island (brawl) than FD, both of which are neutrals, so this technique could be used in tournies and get wins with quick KO's
Nice thread though

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I found this like a month ago, though! I even had a thread for it...nobody's giving me any credit :(.

Foxy

Smash Master
This is very very old (as in, I discovered it the first day I played Brawl, being a Falcon main in Melee).

However, nice job with the thread, good pictures and stuff.

Regarding the technique, I found it instantly useless because of the ridiculous ledge-grab range everyone has in Brawl. Apart from that, it's cool.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
this also works with TL's nair... and lately, its been the one that works the best since fair gives a bit of vertical knockback (helping them recover if they didnt get knocked off screen), while nair has almost pure horizontal knockback and sometimes even horizontal downwards

kid-y3k

Smash Rookie
i gota try this in training mode but most likly online lag will kill me

flytai45

Smash Rookie
Why would you ever use Bair? If you wanted to use Bair then you should just ledgehop -> Bair -> edgegrab. If you do your thing you'll be facing the wrong way. lol
Well Blad01 is a Falco main, and Falco's Bair hits in the front of him with great knockback, so it would be useful if you where to use this as a mindgame trick.
you don't face the wrong way when using this. After you drop from the ledge you are backwards, but you turn around after jumping off the wall which enables you to do your fair and return to the ledge just like blade said

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I see myself SD'ing more than usually trying to do this... however, worth a try. Mixes up the game

Top Bottom