• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall of pain F-air or B-air?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I had quite a few people tell me to use F-air more for spacing with wall of pain, and save your B-air for kills. Then I had other people tell me to wall of pain with B-air and don't use F-air so much because the move last's longer than B-air, which could be a good thing or bad thing, whether you hit or miss.

When brawl first came out, I used B-air alot for spacing, then some months later, I started using F-air as my wall of pain strategy. Now I'm having opponents telling me I should't use F-air so much.

So what would be better to go with for spacing and wall of pain strategies, F-air or B-air?

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I use both fair and bair for wall of pain. the key to wall of pain is to get your aerial out asap, so i use whichever one i can hit my opponent with the fastest. keep using them both.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It also depends on what character I'm playing against. Using wall of pain B-air seems to work better against Sonic than F-air does. F-air seems to work better against DDD. I do use them both at times. But I mostly just been spamming F-air alot more lately.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
i prefer f-air rather than b-air, as it doesnt leave you open as much if your opponent tries to air dodge or some similar defense

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I use both (seemingly) at random. I don't usually try to keep my bair fresh for kills, since I'm one of those Kirbys that almost never uses Fsmash, and I have other methods of KOing if I can't land the Fsmash once they're high enough.

For the wall of pain, Fair is more satisfying and fun for me. I agree with what jiovanni said, they probably can be airdodged. Compare Kirby's Bair to King Dedede's... T_T

I typed this like 5 minutes ago and got sidetracked so I'll leave it at that

jalued

Smash Lord
i find that if u can manage it, bair for edgeguarding is alot better, as its trajectory is more horizontal that the fair, which sends them slightly upwards. plus, bair sends them further away as well. but for wall of pain on the stage, depends on the situation, fair can eat through sheilds, bair is safe.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Okay the bair FoP depends mostly on match-up, DI is difficult to do at low percents but here are the match-ups:

Can safely Fair or Nair out of bair FoP and still recover
Cannot safely Fair or Nair out of bair FoP and still recover
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong*
Falco
Fox*
GaW
Ganondorf
IC*
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede*
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi

Mario*
Marth
MK
Ness
Olimar
Peach
Pikachu

Pit
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
ROB
Samus
Sheik

Snake
Sonic
TL
Wario
Wolf

Yoshi*
Zelda
ZSS

*Indicates character's that can safely disrupt bair FoP when Kirby is at higher %'s but not when he is at lower %'s. All the characters in red can just fair out of the lack of hitstun in brawl and push Kirby far enoughaway that they can safely recover. Because of this fact, it is a Fence of Pain since it is more complicated than Jiggs who can just bair, dj bair, bair, dj bair, bair...death.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I think it depends upon the situation. If you began with a bair or fair, continue to use it so you won't waste a few seconds changing between the two or losing focus upon the combo. However though bair is much stronger it has a small hitbox than the fair which can create good spacing towards you next attack in the WoP combo. I like Kirby in almost all media. His games and anime- along with Meta Knight. I hope to advance with Kirby

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I believe Bair is way better. Can't Fair be DI'd out of?
Well since bair is more powerful it can be DI'd out of more effectively. Fair is slightly better for the wall of pain because it sends them almost horizontally whereas the bair is just for racking up damage whilst having no significant knockback angle. Like MK's dair which will send them horizontally away and Jiggly's side-B sending them vertically upwards.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Bair is better for WOP....idk why this is a question...
They are both good moves. Use B-air along with F-air, F-air helps against dodgers It would be good to space with both, on some character match ups you will probably use B-air more or F-air more, it depends on the playstyle of your opponent.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
They are both good moves. Use B-air along with F-air, F-air helps against dodgers It would be good to space with both, on some character match ups you will probably use B-air more or F-air more, it depends on the playstyle of your opponent.
I've experimented today and I've figured that at high percentages it is recommended to use fair for the WOP because it will keep them at level with you (not flying off) and also has a slight hitstun which allows you to do it again. If at low percentages you managed to get them outta the stage then use bair as it will cause good damage to them and the knockback won't to much to get them far away from you. Actually I've tried experimenting with a level 9 CPU and discovered that you can try to play around with them so instead of using the fair or bair which they are rightly expecting, you could use the nair as a surprise because the attack comes out almost instantly and though not part of the WoP it still gives a good opportunity to truly KO them effectively with the WOP. This is useful for people whom cannot execute the WOP very well. SHould I argue any further?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Jiovanni, while those characters in green can't interrupt with a Fair, a lot of them have options:

-CF: Maybe Uair? I'm not sure on that one.
-Ganon: Uair, but seriously, it's Ganon, so you're just going to gimp him afterwards regardless.
-Ike: Counter or eruption maybe? Probably not, but the options are there.
-Mario: UpB, Cape, or even maybe FLUDD.
-Pit: Shield or the wind effect on the wings (Are you sure his Fair doesn't hit?)
-Snake: Grenades lulz.
-Yoshi: Nair? DJ anything?

Just saying, almost no character is helpless against a Bair WOP, or any WOP for that matter. You have to MAKE it work.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
According to what I'm understanding this is the best strategy to use...
F-air more at low%
B-air more at mid-high%.

Do you guys think that's a better idea?

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Jiovanni, while those characters in green can't interrupt with a Fair, a lot of them have options:

-CF: Maybe Uair? I'm not sure on that one.
-Ganon: Uair, but seriously, it's Ganon, so you're just going to gimp him afterwards regardless.
-Ike: Counter or eruption maybe? Probably not, but the options are there.
-Mario: UpB, Cape, or even maybe FLUDD.
-Pit: Shield or the wind effect on the wings (Are you sure his Fair doesn't hit?)
-Snake: Grenades lulz.
-Yoshi: Nair? DJ anything?

Just saying, almost no character is helpless against a Bair WOP, or any WOP for that matter. You have to MAKE it work.
Gotta test CF and Ganon more, Ike would die, Mario's Capeand FLUDD is to slow but ^B needs testing, Pit's fair has start up on it but I guess I should test it further but the shield's SA frames don't come out quick enough, Snake....weird, sometime grenades are counter-productive because it might make them stay together still and automatically take away the cooldown, Yoshi has a star...DJ probably works, I forgot about that one but Kirby has to be at a high enough % for nair or he can just come back with another bair.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I only second kirby but can't you just FoP like twice and dair to the kill?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Isnt there a way to set up the wall of pain or do you just have to get lucky to get the wall of pain combo going?

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
I just realized its easiest to WoP with fair against the princesses. I carried one off the stage to death and the other was real close >_>

Kirby_Is_Da_Man

Smash Apprentice
i say it wudn matter as long as u kno wat ur doin. i do both equally, depending on where my opponent is. i think its best not 2 use terms and juss play, n read wat ur opponent wud do, thats all i gotta say.

Top Bottom